Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#142746 Dec 9, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Juan was traveling down a Los Angeles road near the community legal center when he saw a crowd of people gathering outside a lawyers office trailer.
Dude.

You're not trying very hard.

You should have written, "...a lawyer's office trailer," not a lawyers office trailer.

There is a difference between the possessive and the plural.

Geeez.

See, Tim? What did I tell you?

The poor shlub is hopeless.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#142747 Dec 9, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.
You're not trying very hard.
You should have written, "...a lawyer's office trailer," not a lawyers office trailer.
There is a difference between the possessive and the plural.
Geeez.
See, Tim? What did I tell you?
The poor shlub is hopeless.
He makes for excellent entertainment, so I can forgive his shortcomings.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#142748 Dec 9, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>He makes for excellent entertainment, so I can forgive his shortcomings.
Eagle is Middle America at its lowest rung.

He is proud of his ignorance.

And doesn't even realize it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142749 Dec 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Farscape has aliens. It's one of the best.
My favorite franchises are Farscape, Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Dune, and Fringe.
Firefly is the highest quality science fiction series out there, as far as I'm concerned.
You forgot Babylon-5, you heretic.

Apart from the epic miscasting of Bruce Boxleitner, who frankly doesn't have much in the way of acting chops...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142750 Dec 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I like it very much. It's one of my favorite science fiction franchises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert 's_Dune
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27...
Oh, dear.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142751 Dec 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That could have been the Taken series.
It had Dakota Fanning.
Scify channel has several pretty good mini series.
The Lost Room
Tinman
Alice
I wonder how many hours I've spent staring at a TV screen.
Now, "Tinman" we agree on.

And Zooey Deschanel's even hotter than her big sister.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#142752 Dec 9, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You forgot Babylon-5, you heretic.
Apart from the epic miscasting of Bruce Boxleitner, who frankly doesn't have much in the way of acting chops...
I haven't seen it all yet.

It's hard to pick favorites sometimes.

I forgot the Outer Limits too.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142753 Dec 9, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh, yh, it looks like that one, i'll try to watch and make sure.
I don't think i have that channel!
lol me too, but i got good excuse, in england it's always raining and i get under the weather so i watch tv to cheer me up, lol. Friends is the best!!
I'm from the West of Ireland.

Don't talk to me about weather...

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#142754 Dec 9, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Now, "Tinman" we agree on.
And Zooey Deschanel's even hotter than her big sister.
Her eyes....her smile....oh I'm in trouble.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142755 Dec 9, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That's probably because christianity is such an influential religion, and many atheists became atheists by breaking away from christianity.
I still don't think you are a skeptic. Maybe you can call yourself a skeptic regarding everything except your religion. In that case, I would probably agree.
Also, I believe that is it implied that someone calling themselves a skeptic is willing to accept claims that are backed by sufficient evidence - there is no value in plugging your ears to everything.
Worth reposting, IMHO:

Produce definitive evidence for a deity, and I will of course believe in it.

If it's the Abrahamic one, I'm immediately joining the Resistance.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142756 Dec 9, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Her eyes....her smile....oh I'm in trouble.
Hehehe.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142757 Dec 9, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
500cc is gokart size. lol
Lucky to hit 20 mph on a long straightway.
11Dec12.....

.....500cc will give you 140KM on a atraight highway.

Ps:.....550ccKZ Kawasaki will give you 160KM.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142758 Dec 9, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.... apparently all people with blue eyes are related ***More than meets the blue eye: You may all be related - USATODAY ...
usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-02-0...
5 Feb 2008 Researchers in Denmark have found that every person with blue eyes descends from ... More than meets the blue eye: You may all be related ***
But, they keep changing their minds about many things, as we know, but one thing we do know for sure ~ they have never traced a human back to an ape LOL!!
11Dec12.....

.....and you won't find a 'blue-Eyed' Arab.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#142759 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Worth reposting, IMHO:
Produce definitive evidence for a deity, and I will of course believe in it.
If it's the Abrahamic one, I'm immediately joining the Resistance.
Yep. A lot of people assume that atheism means "against god," when for most people I think it just means a simple lack of belief. I believe that most atheists would, if presented with evidence for god, adjust their beliefs appropriately. Some might even welcome evidence for eternal paradise. Imagine that!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#142760 Dec 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle is Middle America at its lowest rung.
He is proud of his ignorance.
And doesn't even realize it.
I'm sensing one of two things - a "joke" or a speech about the emperor's new clothes.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#142761 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. A lot of people assume that atheism means "against god," when for most people I think it just means a simple lack of belief. I believe that most atheists would, if presented with evidence for god, adjust their beliefs appropriately. Some might even welcome evidence for eternal paradise. Imagine that!
Spot on, though its safe to infer there's no god with arguments from logic, evidence and probability.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#142762 Dec 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. A lot of people assume that atheism means "against god," when for most people I think it just means a simple lack of belief. I believe that most atheists would, if presented with evidence for god, adjust their beliefs appropriately. Some might even welcome evidence for eternal paradise. Imagine that!
There are "anti-theists" out there - but I think they're mostly objecting to the theists, not the deities. themselves. And the ones I know are rational - given enough evidence, they would not, I think, insist that a demonstrated reality didn't exist.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#142763 Dec 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Farscape has aliens. It's one of the best.
My favorite franchises are Farscape, Firefly, Star Trek, Stargate, Dune, and Fringe.
Firefly is the highest quality science fiction series out there, as far as I'm concerned.
Dr Who (new), Haven, Arrow, Dollhouse, Eureka, Games of Throne, Grimm... these days we are spoiled.

But Firefly was and is number one.

BTW Did you know that they may start up again?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#142764 Dec 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot on, though its safe to infer there's no god with arguments from logic, evidence and probability.
Holy crap you are learning..
"Safe to infer" is a big improvement from your usual absolute position.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#142765 Dec 10, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>There are "anti-theists" out there - but I think they're mostly objecting to the theists, not the deities. themselves. And the ones I know are rational - given enough evidence, they would not, I think, insist that a demonstrated reality didn't exist.
Definitely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr One way or another 16,864
The Consequences of Atheism 2 hr susanblange 810
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Eagle 12 4,882
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 1,662
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 10 hr geezerjock 26
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 12 hr ChristineM 6,056
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 16 hr Thinking 1
More from around the web