Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238949 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jeff

San Jose, CA

#142560 Dec 7, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh explain what science is based on such.
Here are a couple more: the orderliness of the universe and our theories match what we observe.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#142561 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that, but don't you know that many religious people are skeptics, too? I'm one of them. I want answers, I want truth.
Science can not provide answers to all if our questions. It's a bug part yes, but it's not the whole.
There can be no scientific method applied to any non-scientific topic.
I don't think any religious person can claim to be a true skeptic. If they were, they wouldn't be religious. You may be interested in science, but I don't think you are a skeptic.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#142562 Dec 7, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans wrote the laws of nature, well technically "discovered" them & named them. That doesn't mean they're flawless.
Remember reading about the "law" that said the universe is infinite? Now they're thinking its finite.
Remember the "law" that said the Milky Way is the universe?
Don't trust & follow science so blindly.
Argh, the cro-magnum level of study ... it hurts my head.

No, we first thought it was finite, then we thought it was infinite .... the Hawking proposed that it was finite, which pretty much everyone agrees now ... however now we have this concept of a lot of, possibly infinite in number, universes all over the place just like ours, or perhaps ours is part of another. Do you read anything that is printed after 1930?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#142563 Dec 7, 2012
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Here are a couple more: the orderliness of the universe and our theories match what we observe.
Theory does not match observation, it explains them.
But that doesn't explain what you wrote.

"Science is also based on unprovable assumptions."

Science is based on empirical evidence of observable phenomenon.

Only theoretical physics deals with abstract ideas , but they are ones that can be tested eventually , or are based on math models.
Nothing about the scientific method can be based on unprovable assumptions, that isn't science ..that's pseudoscience.
Learn to understand the difference.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#142564 Dec 7, 2012
The Supreme Court of the United States is going to take up the case of same sex marriage. What does this have to do with atheism? Apparently a lot since most if not all the topix atheist are liberals. The Supreme Court could swing the pendulum in either direction.

When the Supreme Court rules itís going to set a precedence. It will become law of the land until the Supreme Court takes it up again in a few years. Something tells me thereís going to be a lot of unhappy campers after their ruling.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#142565 Dec 7, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The Supreme Court of the United States is going to take up the case of same sex marriage. What does this have to do with atheism? Apparently a lot since most if not all the topix atheist are liberals. The Supreme Court could swing the pendulum in either direction.
When the Supreme Court rules itís going to set a precedence. It will become law of the land until the Supreme Court takes it up again in a few years. Something tells me thereís going to be a lot of unhappy campers after their ruling.
Precedent, Eagle.

When the Supreme Court rules, it will set precedent.

Not precedence--precedent.

You'll have to hold your breath for the result..

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#142566 Dec 7, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Precedent, Eagle.
When the Supreme Court rules, it will set precedent.
Not precedence--precedent.
You'll have to hold your breath for the result..
Which way do you predict it's going to fall?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#142567 Dec 7, 2012
This is for believers in this thread that still don't understand atheism.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#142568 Dec 7, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The Supreme Court of the United States is going to take up the case of same sex marriage. What does this have to do with atheism? Apparently a lot since most if not all the topix atheist are liberals. The Supreme Court could swing the pendulum in either direction.
When the Supreme Court rules itís going to set a precedence. It will become law of the land until the Supreme Court takes it up again in a few years. Something tells me thereís going to be a lot of unhappy campers after their ruling.
Liberal and conservative has nothing to do with allowing gay marriage, it's a Republican versus Democrat argument. No true conservative wants more laws, therefore, no true conservative would want any laws banning something that influences personal lives and has no impact on anyone else. Liberals should, but they don't for some reason, want more laws forcing gay marriage or something like that. Bans are more laws, more government, and more intrusion in our personal lives, that goes against every conservative ideal, and why I do not support bans.

Republicans are just idiots with god delusions, most Democrats are just lesser idiots with god delusions, a few of the Democrats lack the delusion. Most atheists are probably just choosing Democrats as the lesser of two evils because we're not stupid enough to think that anyone with a god delusion is actually fit to run a country, much less tell anyone how to live.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142569 Dec 7, 2012
Thinking wrote:
So why does Secularism worry religious leaders so?
<quoted text>
08Dec12.....

.....ListenUp 'dimKing'...ya Fuckwit.

Ps:....Ya have NO wit.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142570 Dec 7, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a misconception. Atheists have beliefs about lots of things, just like everyone else. The difference is that those beliefs are based on reality, and not on supernatural things.
08Dec12.....

.....So vit 'dirt' being a Reality...

Ps:....WHO made da dirt???

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142571 Dec 7, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, I'm not even sure if his bike is a bullet or a Yahmaha, I know it's one of those two though. He's got the top one tho, coz he always shows it off and says my bikes the best. It's a really nice bike. I know nice when I see it!!
I don't really understand the engine size stuff, I only sit on it. I only know about my cars engine size coz i have to buy the road tax for it.
08Dec12.....

.....Wow!!!!

Ps:....Now dat's a berry goot explanation of why your friend has the 'best' bike....and it goes fast (as you said before' because it looks nice.

The engine-Size stuff is EveryDing.

Less than 500cc is considered small Stuff.

Forever and Ever
Bobloblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142573 Dec 7, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao an old Man's blindness doh! It's ok Christholes jump on the iPhone auto spelling error, that's about all you got.
<quoted text>
08Dec12.....

.....Reported.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#142574 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
.....just choosing Democrats as the lesser of two evils because we're not stupid enough to think that anyone with a god delusion is actually fit to run a country, much less tell anyone how to live.
That's been my process for the last 20 years. It's like choosing between suicide and a firing squad sometimes.

"No blindfold. I don't want to miss the last important event on my life."
Thinking

UK

#142577 Dec 7, 2012
It's similar over here. I vote against, not for.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberal and conservative has nothing to do with allowing gay marriage, it's a Republican versus Democrat argument. No true conservative wants more laws, therefore, no true conservative would want any laws banning something that influences personal lives and has no impact on anyone else. Liberals should, but they don't for some reason, want more laws forcing gay marriage or something like that. Bans are more laws, more government, and more intrusion in our personal lives, that goes against every conservative ideal, and why I do not support bans.
Republicans are just idiots with god delusions, most Democrats are just lesser idiots with god delusions, a few of the Democrats lack the delusion. Most atheists are probably just choosing Democrats as the lesser of two evils because we're not stupid enough to think that anyone with a god delusion is actually fit to run a country, much less tell anyone how to live.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#142578 Dec 8, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been my process for the last 20 years. It's like choosing between suicide and a firing squad sometimes.
"No blindfold. I don't want to miss the last important event on my life."
Another apt descriptive. Yes, it does seem like those are the real choices lately. Even I became too comfortably numb to the reality of it and just kept the routine hoping no one mistook me for the next target on their practice range. Medical emergency sort of shocked me into realizing that this country is messed up because too many of us kept going through the routine for the same reason, just hoping we don't get screwed. Now I tell people, vote third, or fourth, or fifth party on your local elections, chance the balance of power, put some people who might actually do their jobs into all the offices, otherwise this country is completely lost.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#142579 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Another apt descriptive. Yes, it does seem like those are the real choices lately. Even I became too comfortably numb to the reality of it and just kept the routine hoping no one mistook me for the next target on their practice range. Medical emergency sort of shocked me into realizing that this country is messed up because too many of us kept going through the routine for the same reason, just hoping we don't get screwed. Now I tell people, vote third, or fourth, or fifth party on your local elections, chance the balance of power, put some people who might actually do their jobs into all the offices, otherwise this country is completely lost.
Most people don't even vote for their school board members, the largest spenders of local taxes and managers of education (first bastion for/against creationism, etc.). Usually it is no more than a popularity contest among the idle rich and powerful.
Oh wait! That is all of American politics.
Never mind. Pass the blindfold, I can't watch anymore. <head on desk>

Did you know the Amish don;t teach religion in their schools here and that they are open to the public ?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142580 Dec 8, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And it's a perfect example of it's self correcting nature.
RR would rather stick with an ancient system of known, but in changing, flaws.

It's his comfort zone.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142581 Dec 8, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The Supreme Court of the United States is going to take up the case of same sex marriage. What does this have to do with atheism? Apparently a lot since most if not all the topix atheist are liberals. The Supreme Court could swing the pendulum in either direction.

When the Supreme Court rules it’s going to set a precedence. It will become law of the land until the Supreme Court takes it up again in a few years. Something tells me there’s going to be a lot of unhappy campers after their ruling.
Yeah.

You're going to be one of them.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142582 Dec 8, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
This is for believers in this thread that still don't understand atheism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =e7y5slOkwaUXX
Great video.

Very compelling, but it won't sway the hardcore believer.

It will just piss him off. Truth does that to the desperately faithful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min thetruth 7,220
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 21 min thetruth 92
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 4 hr NoahLovesU 7,435
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web