Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142221 Dec 3, 2012
da old buddy wrote:
<quoted text> Gosh darnit,Ya found me klemmingtime.And I was hiding from ya pretty good.Well hows ya mother? You still living at the same place.Did ya lose any weight yet? OOP'S, Thats a touchy subgect!!!
"Lose any weight"?

You said I was overwhelmingly hot!

The subject isn't the only thing that was touchy!! How many times did I have to tell ya to keep your hands to yourself?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142222 Dec 3, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm supposed to be drunk over there.
Bush is a national treasure.
One man's trash...
Guess what I watched today?

bourne legacy!!!!!! I thought it was good!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142223 Dec 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
She's instructing you too?
It just shows that I care....There's a flat tyre waiting for you!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#142224 Dec 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm ok atm, my exam is latter in the week. It's not a final year one, but I still want to get a good grade.
The thing is, I can do the mole calculations/pv=nrt and using that to work out Mr/empirical/molecular formula, q=mc X change in temp, but I don't understand why i'm doing it. I have a good memory so i just remember how to answer those questions, but I can't visualise in my head what is going on. That's why I prefer biology, coz i can see what's happening, in my head.
Well, PV=nRT is fairly straightforward. Think of it in stages. Suppose you have a given amount of gas and you compress it. What will happen? The pressure will go up. How about if you heat it? The pressure will go up. how about if you put more in? The pressure will go up. The point is that there is one constant, R, that works well for all gases. So, if you know P,V, and T, you can figure out how much of the gas there is (n). Or, correspondingly, if you now how much there is and what the temperature and pressure is (n,P,T), you can determine the volume.

As for q=mc*(delta T), remember that c is the amount of heat required to raise one mole (or gram, depending on your specific definition--be careful) by a temperature of 1 degree. So, if you raise it by 2 degrees, it takes twice as much heat. If you have twice as much of the material, it takes twice as much heat to raise it all by that 1 degree.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#142225 Dec 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It just shows that I care....There's a flat tyre waiting for you!
A flat tire (American spelling)?

Why?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#142226 Dec 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Surely you are not trying to say Christianity growth is outpacing world population growth are you? I know you are an ignorant c@cks@cker but even I don't believe you are that stupid. Close sure.
What's a "catcksatcker"?

It's not me saying, douchebag....

"The increase in the Christian population was at a slightly higher rate than that of the world population, 1.3 percent per year, when the total world population increased by 1.2 percent per year."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_gr...

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#142227 Dec 3, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>uh-huh...

You know something, the world population grows by about 1.2% each year. Christianity grows by 1.3%

Enjoy!
In underdeveloped countries where Christian missionaries are hard at work.

It's dying in the civilized world.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142228 Dec 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A flat tire (American spelling)?
Why?
Because it needs changing.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142229 Dec 3, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, PV=nRT is fairly straightforward. Think of it in stages. Suppose you have a given amount of gas and you compress it. What will happen? The pressure will go up. How about if you heat it? The pressure will go up. how about if you put more in? The pressure will go up. The point is that there is one constant, R, that works well for all gases. So, if you know P,V, and T, you can figure out how much of the gas there is (n). Or, correspondingly, if you now how much there is and what the temperature and pressure is (n,P,T), you can determine the volume.
As for q=mc*(delta T), remember that c is the amount of heat required to raise one mole (or gram, depending on your specific definition--be careful) by a temperature of 1 degree. So, if you raise it by 2 degrees, it takes twice as much heat. If you have twice as much of the material, it takes twice as much heat to raise it all by that 1 degree.
That's not the bit I find difficult, i'm so stupid i can't explain. I'm revising that stuff tomorrow evening, would you mind going through a question tomorrow? Then I can show you what bit I don't get.

My lecturer is so annoying, he doesn't know how to explain things. I end up getting more confused.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#142230 Dec 3, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1 - media, not a reliable source.
2 - gospel blog, you said you didn't cite blogs...
3 - media, not a reliable source.
4 - media, not a reliable source.
"In 2010, there were 2.30 billion Christians in the world, an increase of 300 million from two billion in 2005."
"The increase in the Christian population was at a slightly higher rate than that of the world population, 1.3 percent per year, when the total world population increased by 1.2 percent per year"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_gr...
The portion you cited from Wikipedia, came from here: http://www.christianpost.com/news/christian-p...

The same Christian news source that I cited from, in which you said:

1 - media, not a reliable source.

As far as the "blog" source I gave(From a Presbyterian Minister), I added it only to support the numerous other sources I gave, Christian in origin which agreed that Christianity is declining.

It is declining in the west, rapidly, and experiencing some growth in third world countries.

Nevertheless, it is on a decline.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#142231 Dec 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it needs changing.
Are you prescient?

Should I go and check my car?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#142233 Dec 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the bit I find difficult, i'm so stupid i can't explain. I'm revising that stuff tomorrow evening, would you mind going through a question tomorrow? Then I can show you what bit I don't get.
My lecturer is so annoying, he doesn't know how to explain things. I end up getting more confused.
No guarantees since I am pretty busy tomorrow. If I have time and see a question I will attempt to answer it.
da old buddy

Des Plaines, IL

#142234 Dec 3, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
"Lose any weight"?
You said I was overwhelmingly hot!
The subject isn't the only thing that was touchy!! How many times did I have to tell ya to keep your hands to yourself?
Please stop undressing me with your eyes!! i feel so cheap and used!!!! Im just a hunk of high testosterone man meat.I do have a brain too. Well I guess the ladies cant ride my brain can they? Maybe they can? UUUMMMM?
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#142235 Dec 3, 2012
Top money saving tip: if the pneu [French spelling] is only flat on the bottom, jack up the car, rotate wheel 180 degrees and lower it back down on the inflated side.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you prescient?
Should I go and check my car?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#142236 Dec 3, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Top money saving tip: if the pneu [French spelling] is only flat on the bottom, jack up the car, rotate wheel 180 degrees and lower it back down on the inflated side.
<quoted text>
That trick doesn't work in the Western hemisphere for some weird gravitational reason.

Believe me, I know, because I tried it.

I even tried rolling the car forward and backward.

Where's Dave Nelson to provide the explanation for this anomaly?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142237 Dec 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you prescient?
Should I go and check my car?
Oh dear, I was talking about my car. I was being Miss bossy boots!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142238 Dec 3, 2012
da old buddy wrote:
<quoted text> Please stop undressing me with your eyes!! i feel so cheap and used!!!! Im just a hunk of high testosterone man meat.I do have a brain too. Well I guess the ladies cant ride my brain can they? Maybe they can? UUUMMMM?
Quit dreamin', Snap out of it!!

I don't think you have anything women want to ride!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142239 Dec 3, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Top money saving tip: if the pneu [French spelling] is only flat on the bottom, jack up the car, rotate wheel 180 degrees and lower it back down on the inflated side.
<quoted text>
What?

I don't know that much about cars (I just watch top gear), but how would that work? Don't tyres spin in a circle, what difference would that make?

Is that a dumb question?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142240 Dec 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That trick doesn't work in the Western hemisphere for some weird gravitational reason.
Believe me, I know, because I tried it.
I even tried rolling the car forward and backward.
Where's Dave Nelson to provide the explanation for this anomaly?
Maybe you haven't got the technique right. You have to do the wiggle shake when you're rollin'.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#142241 Dec 3, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A flat tire (American spelling)?
Why?
04Dec12.....

.....should be 'tear'.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 18 min Samoan Irish 460
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr dirtclod 18,840
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 7 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 7 hr thetruth 1,341
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... 23 hr geezerjock 1
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Sat thetruth 14,656
More from around the web