Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
135,921 - 135,940 of 224,403 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

Since: Sep 10

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go to a restaurant my good man.
That is not a sentence, dude.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>29Nov12.....
.....'here's lookin' at you, kid'.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Who's looking at me? I don't get it.

Look, I don't get stuff because I'm not as old as you, grandad!:-)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Also, I just wanted to clarify, you are not smarter than me.
:)
I'm just kidding. What's intelligence anyway? It's just thingies being thingied by a thingy in an EM thingy.
Do you know how vacuum tubes work?

You have to heat things up to make information flow. An older EM thingy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a sentence, dude.
Hehehehehe....Does Eagle do that on purpose?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts to a Topix atheist is something "they" told you is true. Not "facts" they develop from living themselves. Why "education" is so important to them. Otherwise they wouldn't know nothing. They'd be iggorant.
Of course, the more esoteric the "facts" they are told are "facts" by "them", and them learning those "facts", just really boosts their egos because their "education" is now elevated.
Of course, this causes many, many billions of existing humans, and all of those existing before these "facts" were revealed by "them", to be stupid, which would just have to elevate their egos to even higher levels. The absolute cream of the crop of humanity. The pinnacle of education and intelligence. It took billions of years to get there, but they arrived.
Here to save humanity.
Atheists are dumb.
I'm amazed that someone who tries SO very hard to appear intelligent, doesn't know what constitutes a fact. Fact," something that is indisputably the case."

See, you're not so smart after all.

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hehehehehe....Does Eagle do that on purpose?
Of course he doesn't do it on purpose.

It's a pattern with eagle--he breaks up what would be a sentence into incomplete phrases.

It reflects his lack of an education.

When it's pointed out to him, Eagle responds with thinly veiled bigotry he thinks is humorous.

Stay tuned--it won't be long before it happens.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what my not being in the middle of the ocean in a boat has to do with it. Particularly when the ark would have been launched from a very dry dock a good ways from the shore of the ocean.
You said those currents run for miles and miles. I would assume the middle of the ocean is a lot smoother than near coasts then. You basically go up and down unless there is a fierce wind.
I have been in fierce winds that suddenly came up on a remote high mountain lake at dark in a 12 foot Sears Gamefisher with 6 guys aboard, 3 I picked up because their boat got swamped. In the dark, an overloaded boat, waves and whitecaps much higher than you could see, and not a lot of space between them, miles from shore, which was marked by a single gas lantern I could get a glimpse of on occasion. Fortunately I understood how water works and got us all home. I've been out in a bay in 50 MPH winds and 40 degree weather in a 10 foot johnboat with a sick 5 HP motor with no life preserver or the ability to swim with intentions of fishing from the middle of a long bridge, only to realize it may not be such a good idea after almost reaching it, and surfing a couple of miles back because the water moved faster than that outboard could move the boat. I learned discretion that day. I have also been out off the coast in a Navy cabin cruiser that almost got swamped by the wake from a supertanker and a skipper that had been smoking dope and he really didn't approach it properly. Amazing how high those wakes can get.
Plus sailing was the only course I passed in my one semester of junior college. Our graduation exercise was a race around an island in 40+ winds in which the boat, 19 foot day sailers with a keel, I skippered almost lapped the boat that was second to us, this after a sloppy helm transfer of the two others on the boat resulted in us getting swamped for a few moments.
I have an understanding of how waves and currents work and how to stay in a groove.
Have you ever considered writing a book of fictitious stories, with you as the hero in each story? In it you could include all your pseudo-science bullshit to create unbelievable situations from which you always manage to escape. Kind of like McGiver. I wold buy your book just to read about your harrowing sea escapades. Let me know the release date, thanks!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he doesn't do it on purpose.
It's a pattern with eagle--he breaks up what would be a sentence into incomplete phrases.
It reflects his lack of an education.
When it's pointed out to him, Eagle responds with thinly veiled bigotry he thinks is humorous.
Stay tuned--it won't be long before it happens.
Yh, I've noticed that but I thought maybe he can't be bothered to think too much when he's writing, like me.

Lol, I want to put my finger on the mistake before you, give me a chance, let me say the mistake first, pretty please? Give me a clue if I'm too thick to see it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm amazed that someone who tries SO very hard to appear intelligent, doesn't know what constitutes a fact. Fact," something that is indisputably the case."
See, you're not so smart after all.
I wish I had as simple a mind as you do.

What constitutes a "fact" is a lot more complicated than what you portray. You are unlikely to understand that.

That's a fact.

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yh, I've noticed that but I thought maybe he can't be bothered to think too much when he's writing, like me.
Lol, I want to put my finger on the mistake before you, give me a chance, let me say the mistake first, pretty please? Give me a clue if I'm too thick to see it.
It's a deal, Clementine.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re confusing Halloween with Christmas.
The first mention of December 25 as the birth date of Jesus occurred in A.D. 336 in an early Roman calendar. The celebration of this day as Jesus' birth date was probably influenced by pagan festivals held at that time. The ancient Romans held year-end celebrations to honor Saturn, their harvest god; and Mithras, the god of light... As part of all these celebrations, the people prepared special foods, decorated their homes with greenery, and joined in singing and gift giving. These customs gradually became part of the Christmas celebration.

The Puritans of Massachusetts Bay frowned on Christmas revelry, considering the holiday a Roman Catholic ritual. A law in the colony barred anyone from taking the day off work, feasting or engaging in other celebrations on Christmas, under penalty of a five-shilling fine. The law was repealed in 1681, but Christmas celebrations remained unpopular in New England and other colonies for many years.

Even after the Revolution many Americans still viewed Christmas as a Tory custom and a reminder of the expelled British. Although Christmas became popular in the South as early as the 1830s, other regions were apathetic.

Congress did not begin adjourning on Christmas Day until 1856. Public schools in New England were often open on Dec. 25, as were many factories and offices. Many Protestant churches refused to hold services, considering the holiday “Pope-ish.”

Not until after the Civil War did Christmas begin to seriously affect American cultural and religious life. European immigration increased sharply after the war, and many of the newcomers came from countries with strong Christmas traditions. Germans, Italians, Poles, Swedes, Norwegians and others brought the holiday and many of its features, including Christmas trees and Santa Claus, to America in a big way.

The celebration spread, and in 1870 Christmas was declared a federal holiday by Congress. But practices in the states continued to vary. As late as 1931 nine states still called for public schools to remain open on Christmas Day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever considered writing a book of fictitious stories, with you as the hero in each story? In it you could include all your pseudo-science bullshit to create unbelievable situations from which you always manage to escape. Kind of like McGiver. I wold buy your book just to read about your harrowing sea escapades. Let me know the release date, thanks!!
Oh, come on now. I can't be any worse than your pretensions to be more worldly, educated, and "in the know" than us masses. I am surprised you have the time to spend on here enlightening the enlightenable, and sneering at those that aren't. Surely you have an elite social circle to jerk around with instead of on here?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts to a Topix atheist is something "they" told you is true. Not "facts" they develop from living themselves. Why "education" is so important to them. Otherwise they wouldn't know nothing. They'd be iggorant.
Of course, the more esoteric the "facts" they are told are "facts" by "them", and them learning those "facts", just really boosts their egos because their "education" is now elevated.
Of course, this causes many, many billions of existing humans, and all of those existing before these "facts" were revealed by "them", to be stupid, which would just have to elevate their egos to even higher levels. The absolute cream of the crop of humanity. The pinnacle of education and intelligence. It took billions of years to get there, but they arrived.
Here to save humanity.
Atheists are dumb.
Yes, Atheists are dumb, because they refuse to believe in mythical beings and magical places. Does that mean that anyone who doesn't believe in the Greek Mythology's is also dumb?

The you must contend that Theists are the opposite from dumb. People who believe an imaginary being created all there is in a few days. That it created the first human by scooping up a handful of dirt and blew on it. It then wrenched out one of this mans ribs and magically a women popped into existence. Yep, Theists are so much more intelligent !!!!!
Eternal Bliss

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a deal, Clementine.
Don't mess with gangster Clementine, she knows people who know people.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the writers of the New Testament was a Medical Doctor. Did you know that Doctor?
{I don't "trust" people who base their beliefs on unsupported, or in the case of religion, non-existent evidence}.
My good Doctor, I think what you mean in the previous statement. Is that you don’t want to trust people who base their beliefs in God. If you have a heart attack Doctor and I hope you don’t by the way. You may find yourself in the care of people that do believe in God.
When you go to a restaurant my good man. The food you ate may have been prepared by people of faith. Your entire life Doctor you have been around people of faith. They have fed you, clothed you, fixed and manufactured your automobiles, flown and serviced your airplanes. Given your medicine and healthcare.
We know you don’t want to trust people of faith but you have too.
No, one of the writers of the NT was not a medical doctor, authorship of the NT is completely unknown, there are NO autographed copies, the originals do not exist, we have ONLY stories told over the last 2000 years about who actually wrote the NT.

I never said I didn't trust a person of faith to do their job, don't put words into my mouth. I don't trust people who claim to know things without supportive evidence, big difference.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's looking at me? I don't get it.
Look, I don't get stuff because I'm not as old as you, grandad!:-)
29Nov12.....

.....A quote from Casablanca: Bogart to Bergman 'here's lookin' at you, kid'.

Ps:.....'ol Humphrey Never did say 'play it again, Sam'.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
The first mention of December 25 as the birth date of Jesus occurred in A.D. 336 in an early Roman calendar. The celebration of this day as Jesus' birth date was probably influenced by pagan festivals held at that time. The ancient Romans held year-end celebrations to honor Saturn, their harvest god; and Mithras, the god of light... As part of all these celebrations, the people prepared special foods, decorated their homes with greenery, and joined in singing and gift giving. These customs gradually became part of the Christmas celebration.
The Puritans of Massachusetts Bay frowned on Christmas revelry, considering the holiday a Roman Catholic ritual. A law in the colony barred anyone from taking the day off work, feasting or engaging in other celebrations on Christmas, under penalty of a five-shilling fine. The law was repealed in 1681, but Christmas celebrations remained unpopular in New England and other colonies for many years.
Even after the Revolution many Americans still viewed Christmas as a Tory custom and a reminder of the expelled British. Although Christmas became popular in the South as early as the 1830s, other regions were apathetic.
Congress did not begin adjourning on Christmas Day until 1856. Public schools in New England were often open on Dec. 25, as were many factories and offices. Many Protestant churches refused to hold services, considering the holiday “Pope-ish.”
Not until after the Civil War did Christmas begin to seriously affect American cultural and religious life. European immigration increased sharply after the war, and many of the newcomers came from countries with strong Christmas traditions. Germans, Italians, Poles, Swedes, Norwegians and others brought the holiday and many of its features, including Christmas trees and Santa Claus, to America in a big way.
The celebration spread, and in 1870 Christmas was declared a federal holiday by Congress. But practices in the states continued to vary. As late as 1931 nine states still called for public schools to remain open on Christmas Day.
29Nov12.....

.....While BobLoblah already knows dis, why don'tCha explain for ALL da folks the meaning of January 6th....

Ps:.....and den sum tooooooooooo.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Eternal Bliss wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mess with gangster Clementine, she knows people who know people.
29Nov12.....

.....and da boss of bosses - BobLoblah....

Ps:....who knows how ta make ya an offer dat you can't refuse.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>29Nov12.....
.....A quote from Casablanca: Bogart to Bergman 'here's lookin' at you, kid'.
Ps:.....'ol Humphrey Never did say 'play it again, Sam'.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
You are crazy, Blobby guy!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, one of the writers of the NT was not a medical doctor, authorship of the NT is completely unknown, there are NO autographed copies, the originals do not exist, we have ONLY stories told over the last 2000 years about who actually wrote the NT.
I never said I didn't trust a person of faith to do their job, don't put words into my mouth. I don't trust people who claim to know things without supportive evidence, big difference.
29Nov12.....

.....Well then.

Looks berry much like 'noOne' can trust YOU.

Ps:....seeing as you remain a schidt-for-brains.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What does "Atheism" mean? 2 hr Buck Crick 21
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Patrick 388
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 7 hr richardfs 6
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 18 hr Liam R 21
Talking some sense into you people... 21 hr Cujo 27
Our world came from nothing? 22 hr Carchar king 243
Introducing The Universal Religion 23 hr Patrick 734
•••
•••