Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,793)

Showing posts 135,841 - 135,860 of223,279
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And the double rows of teeth is just a wee bit sketchy.
I think there is some kind of 'conspiracy gene' in some people. The fundies would look upon those kind of pictures more favourable than the findings and (peer reviewed) conclusions of published palaeontologists, geologists and anthropologists.

People WANT to believe that others have it wrong.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your computations of star movement and etc are in error. That is why you now have dark matter, dark energy, and black holes.
The stars have been moving, as have the planets, and the galaxies, totally ignorant of the way they are supposed to.
Evidently they missed something in their development of the theory.
What you don't seem to understand is that the basic theory of gravity still works. It simply needs other matter that doesn't interact with light (except through gravity).
Gravity works between particles. Take away the balance of charge in an atom, and you increase the EM range of it. The sucker get unbalanced and starts reaching out. Only stronger than gravity does. BTW, this imbalance also reaches to the nuclear forces.
A very confused idea of what actually happens: single charges produce a Coulomb force that is stronger than gravity and also an inverse square force. But the forces from opposite charges tend to cancel each other out. For most matter (and this includes plasmas), the number of positive and the number of negative charges are the same (or very nearly so), so the net effect is that the force from the charges is very small.
A neutral atom doesn't emit the charge an unbalanced one does. This is the sort of thing that makes chemistry.
Atoms don't 'emit' charge. An atom with unbalanced charge will produce a Coulomb force. For *ionic* bonds, this is the main thing keeping the atoms together (although the repulsive forces from the other electrons is part of what keeps the atoms apart--again, a balancing act).
Your perception of electricity is a charge being passed within matter based upon a loosely bound electron KICKED out of a perfectly harmonious relationship and forced to find another. It's a bit more complicated than that.
My notion of electricity is charged particles in motion. For electricity in wires, that tends to be from moving electrons 'kicking' new electrons. But the actual motion of the electrons in the wire is very small. Much more relevant for energy transfer is the energy of the fields (as opposed to the particles).
Gravity as portrayed sucks. It really pushes.
We know how gravity works. Adding in E&M on a cosmic scale doesn't solve the problems of the background radiation, of galactic motion, or universal expansion (or even the appearance of it), etc. it is a failed theory because it doesn't agree with the evidence.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You should see these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
They're not possible, even with perfect health, anything more than I believe it was 8 feet would not be possible for the human anatomy.
Tallest man in history as verified by Guinness was Robert Wadlow at 8' 11".

Currently, the tallest living human is Sultan Kosen at 8'3".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The Passion of the Christ was better.
Much more graphic.
29Nov12....

.....Good 'ol Mel sure does have a way with both words and pictures.

Ps:....And a Roman Catholic to boot.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate the superhero films. I enjoyed the vampire stuff when it was Buffy and Angel, and then Wesley Snipes as Blade. But the Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight ruined the entire vampire thing for me.
29Nov12.....

......and the Zooooombies, the Walking Dead and those udder kinds of Bob Marley's are as idiotic as 'Brimstone','fireStarters','di mKing','christineM', and 'sidingDumbPhew'.

Ps:....Ya jest cannot beat the Classics. They are starting to reDo some of dem, but the originals will Not be beaten in our lifeDimes.

By da vey.....how is yer mudder!!!....and da Band.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tallest man in history as verified by Guinness was Robert Wadlow at 8' 11".
Currently, the tallest living human is Sultan Kosen at 8'3".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_...
29Nov12.....

.....and BobLoblah stands at 12' 4" high.

Ps:....and den sum tooooooooooooooo.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
Poly, given a static EM and gravity environment,
Do you mean an environment with *no* gravity and EM, or one that has constant gravity and E&M? The answers are different.
explain to us how a decaying atom would move. What is the linkage to effect motion of the atom?
Decaying atom means nuclear decay. That tends to be from either a helium nucleus (alpha) or an electron (beta) being released from the nucleus of the original atom.

If there are *no* gravitational or EM fields, the alpha particle or electron will move apart in opposite directions. They will be oppositely charged, so there will be a Coulomb interaction after the decay which will slow their motion, but the size of this force compared to their speed will have a very small overall effect.

If there is a constant electric field, the two pieces will move apart and then curve in opposite directions as they move, essentially moving in parabolas, slightly modified by the force between the two charges.

If there is a constant magnetic field, the two pieces will end up spiraling around the lines of the magnetic field, again in opposite directions. This is slightly modified by the force between the two charges.

If there is only a gravitational field, then the two particles will move along parabolas, slightly modified by the force between them.

If there are more than one type of field, add together their influences: with both an electric and a magnetic field, the pieces spiral around parabolic paths, etc.
No sneakiness by having one of those random fluctuations doing a drive by.
All of these are easy applications of the Lorentz force law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force_la...

These are all classical descriptions, which are appropriate once the decay has finished.

The decay itself has to be described via quantum mechanics and is probabilistic in nature.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Timw? Is this a joke I'm too dumb to get?
No, I'm the dumb one....

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>29Nov12.....
.....the economy of the United Kingdom (UK...for eeejits) is so phuckedUP dat the Bank of England could NOT find anyOne locally to manage its affairs. For the first time in its history, the Bank of England has had to go outSide to find someOne to run the bank. They have chosen a person from Canada. It's on ALL da news toooooooooooo.
Ps:....Just goes to show how far 'down' da ladder things have come since the days od Charles Dickens's 'Oliver Twist'.
Something smells rotten in Denmark, BobLoblah thinks and anyTime within the next 10 - 12 years the Chinks will buy the UK.....if the muslimes have Not already done so tooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
... racism much?

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
How goes BobLoblah?
Haven't researched this in a while, but I believe that it has something to do with exposure to sunlight makes people manufacture melanin?
Natural selection acting on two clines.

In equatorial regions, UVA, B, and C are at their strongest. Hairless animals require melanin - as you write - a heavy molecule, to block the UV radiation. Unblocked, it destroys the follate (Vitamin B) in your blood. When that happens, your ability to produce new cells (heal, grow, and reproduce, and basic cellular activities) is impacted. So darker pigmentation is selected for.

At the same time, you produce Vit D in your skin. That's necessary for all things bone (growth and development, repair, teeth, joints, production of milk) and immune system function. You get enough, regardless of melatonin, in equatorial regions.

In North or South regions, the UV radiation becomes weaker and weaker the farther you get from the poles. You lose your need to protect your follate but increase your inability to produce Vit D. So lighter pigmentation is selected for.

In the middle regions, olive skin, or skin that can tan, is selected for, since the amount of UV radiation reaching the ground varies seasonally.

It's pretty simple and has nothing to do with "race," requiring only 7 genes or so out of more than 25 000. We can measure the UV radiation, vitamin B loss and vitamin D production directly - this isn't just a supported hypothesis, it's confirmed.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate the superhero films. I enjoyed the vampire stuff when it was Buffy and Angel, and then Wesley Snipes as Blade. But the Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight ruined the entire vampire thing for me.
NO!!!

The first season of True Blood is great! The first season of the Vampire Dairies, if you use the fast forward button on the sappy stuff, is great!

Blade...well...uhm...yeah. Made for 12 year old boys.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I teach this stuff. I really do. Anthropology and evolution and curious students requires that I am intimately familiar with how drugs of relaxation work. I get lots of fun questions from the students, like "if I do ecstasy on a daily basis, will it screw my brain up?"
Of course I answer "no, not at all." I mean, I have to keep my supply chains open and running. Poor kids.
Lol! I bet.

Ever hear of DMT, the spirit molecule?

Or ayahuasca?

Just watched documentaries on them. They look mighty interesting.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What? Where did you get that from? If I was going to be jealous of someone's intelligence, trust me, it would not be you.
And either way, I truly do not care that you think differently than me, even if you are "smarter" than me. I just don't like your constant generalizations about "topix atheists" that you like to weave into these ridiculous, rambling sermons.
And what are you going on about IQ for? I guarantee you if I, or anyone posted IQ scores you would accuse them of boasting and of putting too much faith in "the man's definition of intelligence."
:-)

"I just don't like your constant generalizations about "topix atheists" that you like to weave into these ridiculous, rambling sermons."

Change "Topix atheists" to religitards, christurds, stupid Christians, etc and you will understand why intelligent people, even if they aren't religious, are turned off by Topix atheists and get on here to make comments about them.

Hopefully you would.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural selection acting on two clines.
In equatorial regions, UVA, B, and C are at their strongest. Hairless animals require melanin - as you write - a heavy molecule, to block the UV radiation. Unblocked, it destroys the follate (Vitamin B) in your blood. When that happens, your ability to produce new cells (heal, grow, and reproduce, and basic cellular activities) is impacted. So darker pigmentation is selected for.
At the same time, you produce Vit D in your skin. That's necessary for all things bone (growth and development, repair, teeth, joints, production of milk) and immune system function. You get enough, regardless of melatonin, in equatorial regions.
In North or South regions, the UV radiation becomes weaker and weaker the farther you get from the poles. You lose your need to protect your follate but increase your inability to produce Vit D. So lighter pigmentation is selected for.
In the middle regions, olive skin, or skin that can tan, is selected for, since the amount of UV radiation reaching the ground varies seasonally.
It's pretty simple and has nothing to do with "race," requiring only 7 genes or so out of more than 25 000. We can measure the UV radiation, vitamin B loss and vitamin D production directly - this isn't just a supported hypothesis, it's confirmed.
Very well written, by our favourite hot anthropologist!

<3

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
NO!!!
The first season of True Blood is great! The first season of the Vampire Dairies, if you use the fast forward button on the sappy stuff, is great!
Blade...well...uhm...yeah. Made for 12 year old boys.
Well, to be honest... I was 12 when the film came out.

So I loved it!

Wesley Snipes is also a very believable badass. He spent years studying Kung Fu and Capuera. He is a very good fighter. The Twilight Vampires are sissies against him

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......And what methodology do you use to determine if your beliefs are true?
Rational judgement.
It's entirely rational to trust the evidence presented by experts. It's also rational to trust what the majority say is true.

If that's so, then trust the majority of Americans that say God is real.
You do that with your doctor don't you, or do you say that medical science changes to much to trusted at all?
F_ck ya. I don't trust doctors at all, half the time the mis-diagnose & lead by guessing. They're nuts.
Mainstream science has proven that evolution is a fact 99% of ALL scientist worldwide accept that evolution is a fact.
Are you sure that it's 99%?

Besides, I've never said that evolution is not a fact...
Virtually EVERYONE. with the exception of religious fanatics, realize that evolution is factual.
Agreed.
In this day of information, it's absurd to think otherwise. Your statement that "it changes to much" is testimony to your ignorance on the subject.
No it's not. It does change too much. The "facts" get disputed by other "facts"...
You obviously have NO idea how or why evolution words. Stop reading articles from creationists, it WILL damage your brain!!!!
Obviously.....
I'll tell you your f--king crazy before we start drinking!!!!
That would be wise.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your God instructed Noah to gather all VERTEBRATES and AIR BREATHERS, Whales fall into that classification.
Cherry pick much?

Oh wait, you're the guy that thinks the Ark story is bullshit because dinosaurs wouldn't be able to fit on the Ark.

Nevermind.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
"I just don't like your constant generalizations about "topix atheists" that you like to weave into these ridiculous, rambling sermons."
Change "Topix atheists" to religitards, christurds, stupid Christians, etc and you will understand why intelligent people, even if they aren't religious, are turned off by Topix atheists and get on here to make comments about them.
Hopefully you would.
So you admit that you go out of your way to come into threads in the Atheism Forum specifically to make hateful comments about atheists, then you get upset that these same atheists don't appreciate your particular version of hate and respond in kind.

And then you wonder why theists in general and Christians in particular are held in such low esteem in the Topix Atheism Forum.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it "could" have done a lot of things, but none of it makes any difference as it never happened. Logic, reason, and rational thought along with geology tell us that.
I take you've never been in the middle of the ocean in any kind of boat!!!
I don't know what my not being in the middle of the ocean in a boat has to do with it. Particularly when the ark would have been launched from a very dry dock a good ways from the shore of the ocean.

You said those currents run for miles and miles. I would assume the middle of the ocean is a lot smoother than near coasts then. You basically go up and down unless there is a fierce wind.

I have been in fierce winds that suddenly came up on a remote high mountain lake at dark in a 12 foot Sears Gamefisher with 6 guys aboard, 3 I picked up because their boat got swamped. In the dark, an overloaded boat, waves and whitecaps much higher than you could see, and not a lot of space between them, miles from shore, which was marked by a single gas lantern I could get a glimpse of on occasion. Fortunately I understood how water works and got us all home. I've been out in a bay in 50 MPH winds and 40 degree weather in a 10 foot johnboat with a sick 5 HP motor with no life preserver or the ability to swim with intentions of fishing from the middle of a long bridge, only to realize it may not be such a good idea after almost reaching it, and surfing a couple of miles back because the water moved faster than that outboard could move the boat. I learned discretion that day. I have also been out off the coast in a Navy cabin cruiser that almost got swamped by the wake from a supertanker and a skipper that had been smoking dope and he really didn't approach it properly. Amazing how high those wakes can get.

Plus sailing was the only course I passed in my one semester of junior college. Our graduation exercise was a race around an island in 40+ winds in which the boat, 19 foot day sailers with a keel, I skippered almost lapped the boat that was second to us, this after a sloppy helm transfer of the two others on the boat resulted in us getting swamped for a few moments.

I have an understanding of how waves and currents work and how to stay in a groove.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit that you go out of your way to come into threads in the Atheism Forum specifically to make hateful comments about atheists, then you get upset that these same atheists don't appreciate your particular version of hate and respond in kind.
And then you wonder why theists in general and Christians in particular are held in such low esteem in the Topix Atheism Forum.
No.

I just get on here to alert others reading what stupid and obnoxious shits you and others like you are.

It's a public service.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 135,841 - 135,860 of223,279
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••