Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#141354 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
NO!!!
The first season of True Blood is great! The first season of the Vampire Dairies, if you use the fast forward button on the sappy stuff, is great!
Blade...well...uhm...yeah. Made for 12 year old boys.
Well, to be honest... I was 12 when the film came out.

So I loved it!

Wesley Snipes is also a very believable badass. He spent years studying Kung Fu and Capuera. He is a very good fighter. The Twilight Vampires are sissies against him

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141355 Nov 28, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......And what methodology do you use to determine if your beliefs are true?
Rational judgement.
It's entirely rational to trust the evidence presented by experts. It's also rational to trust what the majority say is true.

If that's so, then trust the majority of Americans that say God is real.
You do that with your doctor don't you, or do you say that medical science changes to much to trusted at all?
F_ck ya. I don't trust doctors at all, half the time the mis-diagnose & lead by guessing. They're nuts.
Mainstream science has proven that evolution is a fact 99% of ALL scientist worldwide accept that evolution is a fact.
Are you sure that it's 99%?

Besides, I've never said that evolution is not a fact...
Virtually EVERYONE. with the exception of religious fanatics, realize that evolution is factual.
Agreed.
In this day of information, it's absurd to think otherwise. Your statement that "it changes to much" is testimony to your ignorance on the subject.
No it's not. It does change too much. The "facts" get disputed by other "facts"...
You obviously have NO idea how or why evolution words. Stop reading articles from creationists, it WILL damage your brain!!!!
Obviously.....
I'll tell you your f--king crazy before we start drinking!!!!
That would be wise.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141356 Nov 28, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your God instructed Noah to gather all VERTEBRATES and AIR BREATHERS, Whales fall into that classification.
Cherry pick much?

Oh wait, you're the guy that thinks the Ark story is bullshit because dinosaurs wouldn't be able to fit on the Ark.

Nevermind.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#141357 Nov 28, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
"I just don't like your constant generalizations about "topix atheists" that you like to weave into these ridiculous, rambling sermons."
Change "Topix atheists" to religitards, christurds, stupid Christians, etc and you will understand why intelligent people, even if they aren't religious, are turned off by Topix atheists and get on here to make comments about them.
Hopefully you would.
So you admit that you go out of your way to come into threads in the Atheism Forum specifically to make hateful comments about atheists, then you get upset that these same atheists don't appreciate your particular version of hate and respond in kind.

And then you wonder why theists in general and Christians in particular are held in such low esteem in the Topix Atheism Forum.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141358 Nov 28, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it "could" have done a lot of things, but none of it makes any difference as it never happened. Logic, reason, and rational thought along with geology tell us that.
I take you've never been in the middle of the ocean in any kind of boat!!!
I don't know what my not being in the middle of the ocean in a boat has to do with it. Particularly when the ark would have been launched from a very dry dock a good ways from the shore of the ocean.

You said those currents run for miles and miles. I would assume the middle of the ocean is a lot smoother than near coasts then. You basically go up and down unless there is a fierce wind.

I have been in fierce winds that suddenly came up on a remote high mountain lake at dark in a 12 foot Sears Gamefisher with 6 guys aboard, 3 I picked up because their boat got swamped. In the dark, an overloaded boat, waves and whitecaps much higher than you could see, and not a lot of space between them, miles from shore, which was marked by a single gas lantern I could get a glimpse of on occasion. Fortunately I understood how water works and got us all home. I've been out in a bay in 50 MPH winds and 40 degree weather in a 10 foot johnboat with a sick 5 HP motor with no life preserver or the ability to swim with intentions of fishing from the middle of a long bridge, only to realize it may not be such a good idea after almost reaching it, and surfing a couple of miles back because the water moved faster than that outboard could move the boat. I learned discretion that day. I have also been out off the coast in a Navy cabin cruiser that almost got swamped by the wake from a supertanker and a skipper that had been smoking dope and he really didn't approach it properly. Amazing how high those wakes can get.

Plus sailing was the only course I passed in my one semester of junior college. Our graduation exercise was a race around an island in 40+ winds in which the boat, 19 foot day sailers with a keel, I skippered almost lapped the boat that was second to us, this after a sloppy helm transfer of the two others on the boat resulted in us getting swamped for a few moments.

I have an understanding of how waves and currents work and how to stay in a groove.

Westcliffe, CO

#141359 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit that you go out of your way to come into threads in the Atheism Forum specifically to make hateful comments about atheists, then you get upset that these same atheists don't appreciate your particular version of hate and respond in kind.
And then you wonder why theists in general and Christians in particular are held in such low esteem in the Topix Atheism Forum.
No.

I just get on here to alert others reading what stupid and obnoxious shits you and others like you are.

It's a public service.

Westcliffe, CO

#141360 Nov 28, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah, one more time.

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

Go to the top and read the heading and the URL.

You may be posting to an "Atheism Forum", I am not.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#141361 Nov 28, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, to be honest... I was 12 when the film came out.
So I loved it!
Wesley Snipes is also a very believable badass. He spent years studying Kung Fu and Capuera. He is a very good fighter. The Twilight Vampires are sissies against him
It would be totally cool if Blade would kill the Twilight sissy vamps!

"Hi, do you like my Calvin Klein hair?"

SLICE!

"No."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141362 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
SLICE!
"No."
LMAO!!!

That'd be fantastic!

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#141363 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
SLICE!
"No."
Or:

"I sparkle."

SLICE!

"I don't."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141364 Nov 28, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If it makes you a happy camper then it ok by me.
Facts usually don't elicit an emotional response, unless of course you are a Christian fundy, and in that case the facts concerning evolution usually make you very unhappy.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141365 Nov 28, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Cool, Bobs here. Easy scrollin.
I like it.
Yep, your right, just scroll right by until I find something coherent.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141366 Nov 28, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I pose the same question to you.
I LACK a belief in ALL Gods.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#141367 Nov 28, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Or:
"I sparkle."
SLICE!
"I don't."
"You killed my lover!"

"Shut up. Tell me where his friends are."

"Oh my god, you're so hot!"

"Shut up. Tell me where his friends are."

"So...the whole love triangle thing won't work on you?"

"Lady. Shut up."

"I'm like totally into vampires, you know! Weeeeeeeeee!"

"Oh, fcck this." SLICE!

<bleeding out> "aaaagggurgle..."

Westcliffe, CO

#141368 Nov 28, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Facts usually don't elicit an emotional response, unless of course you are a Christian fundy, and in that case the facts concerning evolution usually make you very unhappy.
Facts to a Topix atheist is something "they" told you is true. Not "facts" they develop from living themselves. Why "education" is so important to them. Otherwise they wouldn't know nothing. They'd be iggorant.

Of course, the more esoteric the "facts" they are told are "facts" by "them", and them learning those "facts", just really boosts their egos because their "education" is now elevated.

Of course, this causes many, many billions of existing humans, and all of those existing before these "facts" were revealed by "them", to be stupid, which would just have to elevate their egos to even higher levels. The absolute cream of the crop of humanity. The pinnacle of education and intelligence. It took billions of years to get there, but they arrived.

Here to save humanity.

Atheists are dumb.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#141369 Nov 28, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I just get on here to alert others reading what stupid and obnoxious shits you and others like you are.
It's a public service.
Care to point out ANY post by me that supports your contention, or are you bearing false witness against me?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#141370 Nov 28, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Atheists are dumb.
You're dumber.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141372 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumber.
You're dumberer.

Westcliffe, CO

#141373 Nov 28, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumber.
You are even more dumber.

Hiding, my love, I have a piece of evolutionary knowledge for you. Something that can determine if your genes, or even yourself, will survive for more than the moment.

Cock your eye to that juicy morsel of knowledge hanging there in the middle of nothing, wriggling around ever so temptingly.

Nibble it at the edges. Don't gulp it down. It's important you do that.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#141374 Nov 28, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dumberer.
I'm the dumbest.

Wait! Wait! I meant you!

daaaaaaah!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Chimney1 18,851
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 21 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 21 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web