Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
135,761 - 135,780 of 226,175 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Says who?
Says every nation that has ever tried it.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly don't post as if you're the happiest person on the face of the planet...
WAIT! The planet doesn't have a face, so you MUST be wrong.......
<quoted text>
Don't we all?
<quoted text>
In what way? Do the kiddies pose a threat to you? The ones that believe in Santa?
<quoted text>
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......
Don't you think religious people critically think about what religion to choose?
<quoted text>
ALL the world issues? c'mon
<quoted text>
To which "facts" are you referring that we all don't believe?
<quoted text>
Nor is it rational to assume that what you've been told about evolution MUST be real & true. It changes too much.
<quoted text>
In what way?
<quoted text>
No, but it implies it. I think that's why everything you read that biblical you can twist into something evil & filled with hate.
<quoted text>
Probably not a good idea to tell me that I'm crazy after I've been drinking... Just sayin'
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......And what methodology do you use to determine if your beliefs are true?

Nor is it rational to assume that what you've been told about evolution MUST be real & true. It changes too much..........It's entirely rational to trust the evidence presented by experts. It's also rational to trust what the majority say is true. You do that with your doctor don't you, or do you say that medical science changes to much to trusted at all? Mainstream science has proven that evolution is a fact 99% of ALL scientist worldwide accept that evolution is a fact. Virtually EVERYONE. with the exception of religious fanatics, realize that evolution is factual. In this day of information, it's absurd to think otherwise. Your statement that "it changes to much" is testimony to your ignorance on the subject. You obviously have NO idea how or why evolution words. Stop reading articles from creationists, it WILL damage your brain!!!!

I'll tell you your f--king crazy before we start drinking!!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Any deviation from a straight line following that current kicks inertia in. Any bend or eddy in the river. The raft or boat has to be pushed in a new direction by that current. Its coherent mass is a bunch heavier than individual water molecules.
Takes a while to get back up to speed.
I thought we were talking about the Ark, in the ocean, were currents run in the same direction for thousands of miles.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
um..... Why would a whale need to be on the Ark?
'_'
Your God instructed Noah to gather all VERTEBRATES and AIR BREATHERS, Whales fall into that classification.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
My God doesn't throw you in hell! We have no hell and heaven!!!!
"You cherish even the ungrateful ones; Your Glance of Grace is perfect, Lord."
God doesn't want us to worship him;
"If the whole world came together and worshipped him, he would not become greater or lesser."
My God wants us to take care of each other, love each other! That's what Guru nanak dev ji said and did.
OMG, that's the example (lover punishing you) I used to explain to christians, lol but it didn't work they still told me i'm going to hell.
And of all the hundreds of Gods, what makes your particular brand true? How do you know Haniman the monkey God is not the true God? What evidence do you possess that says your God is more valid that the Christian God, or Allah?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, I thought most human-beings are like that! We want to get something for free but not give anything for free. I guess it's human nature.
I don't know about other indians, but if I give someone money I tell them to keep it.
So you're not an Indian Giver?

Don't give me an Indian Burn, I'm just kidding.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I thought we were talking about the Ark, in the ocean, were currents run in the same direction for thousands of miles.
Why would the Ark have to cross the ocean? It could have stayed in the same region. It could have sidled up next to a mountain and risen with the water. It could have been caught in a big eddy over a valley.

It probably floated in a big mess of debris and bodies for a long time. They may even have collected around it by gravity.

If it rained, the water collected from the mountains running down, and from the bodies of water rising up. Could have done a lot of things.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is true. I have even heard of accounts of Topix atheists being intelligent and rational. From Topix atheists, that is. Another of those things there just ain't no available evidence of.
Why do you always have to segue into one of your "topix atheist" rants.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It creates larger governments and bigger budgets to plunder. A lot of socsal programs did the same thing.
So, just how would you tackle the abuse of drugs on such a large scale as it is now, no wishful thinking allowed?
Accept the fact that some people are going to abuse no matter what, and give them the help that they need.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think religious beliefs are kind of quaint when they aren't being pushed on people. It's blended in history and culture. It's when religious beliefs get in the way of progress or ethical behavior that bothers me.
You don't push your beliefs like they are the only truths in the universe, so I appreciate that.
:-)

I agree! That's why sikhism came into existence, to stop people forcing their beliefs on others. I know I'm not a very good sikh, but I try my best to follow GGS. I believe the GGS to be the truth, that's why I don't push my belief on anyone and also I'm not going to have someone force their belief on me either.

@special atheist gibbs..who said u could call me Clemm? huh?:-)

@Redneck...don't make me show you my fist, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you always have to segue into one of your "topix atheist" rants.
Because the intellectuality they display in their proselytizing of this New Atheism, or rather the lack of such, proves they are poseurs trying to imitate atheists of old who actually did have some brains and didn't have to dash into shrieking terms like religitard, christurd, stupid Christians, and like very highly refined terms one would use in an intellectual discussion.

But they fail. I like to differentiate between the legitimate atheists and the stamped out models manufactured by the mass media from those with emotional issues and low wattage thinking apparatus.

I'm of the old school atheism, but got educated.

You asked.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Accept the fact that some people are going to abuse no matter what, and give them the help that they need.
I asked Tam.

Over thousands of years it has been found that a kick in the tater can be the best help you can give the weak. Understanding is fine, but does nothing without getting good results.

Just how much resources do you believe should be expended in attempts to reclaim those poor lost souls? In particular, when they are a large percentage of the population.

Keep in mind you want to keep the society healthy more than an individual.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And of all the hundreds of Gods, what makes your particular brand true? How do you know Haniman the monkey God is not the true God? What evidence do you possess that says your God is more valid that the Christian God, or Allah?
My God is the same God! we call him ram, allah, khuda and we can call him by any name. "The guru is shiva, brahma and God is goddess paarpati...". "I see my God in the bible and the koran too"...."can you not see God in the vedas". We see God in everythng and everyone! We all come from the same source, we are not enemies of each other.

Guru nanak dev ji never said leave your own religion, they said you follow yours and let other people follow there's, stop forcing religion on people!

Hinduism (scriptures) has the same belief as sikhism, hanuman ji is not God in any of our religions. He was a saint! But I think the ramayaan is a mythical story, anyway.

Can you not see good in the bible? Are you honestly saying there is not even one line in the bible which speaks the truth? I see truth even in some of the lines of the bible. Truth (God) is pervading everywhere!

They only evidence I have is that my gurus and the sikhs of that time when the GGS was written became the best human beings I have ever read about. Sikhism is a very new religion and we have alot of historical evidence (English, french, muslim sources) to prove sikhs were one of the, if not the most, nicest people to walk this planet and this was only due to guru nanak dev jis teachings; live and let live!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're not an Indian Giver?
Don't give me an Indian Burn, I'm just kidding.
lol, i'm sorry, i don't get it!

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, i'm sorry, i don't get it!
An Indian Giver is one who gives you something but then later asks to have it back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver

An Indian Burn is a mild form of torture usually inflicted on a sibling or close friend.

Neither really has anything to do with India or Indian people.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the Ark have to cross the ocean? It could have stayed in the same region. It could have sidled up next to a mountain and risen with the water. It could have been caught in a big eddy over a valley.
It probably floated in a big mess of debris and bodies for a long time. They may even have collected around it by gravity.
If it rained, the water collected from the mountains running down, and from the bodies of water rising up. Could have done a lot of things.

But your head , being a solid block ....would have sunk straight to the bottom. Noah's pier ...never existed. Except in the imagination
of abrahamic zombies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If Jesus is not the only way to God then He died on the cross for nothing. Besides, Jesus said He was the only way. If what you say is correct then Jesus is incorrect as is His early followers. That would include many today who say jesus is the only way. Both propositions cannot be right so that means one has to be wrong. <quoted text> Only the saints? Who is the currect ''saint?'' If not current then who was the last saint?
<quoted text> Is guru nanak a man? Is he more than a man? Sorry if i butted in.
In christianity only Jesus died for his people, but in sikhi nearly every guru was tortured and died for their people. My 5th guru was tortured, made to sit on a massive burning hot metal plate and had hot sand poured over their body. My 9th guru was tortured and beheaded. My 10th gurus children, only 7 and 9, were tortured, bricked alive and beheaded. His older children who were 11 and 15 were killed in battle. His mother was thrown of a tower and his father was the 9th guru who was beheaded.

Other saints were boiled alive, burned alive, cut from head to toe in half, had their scalp cut off. Babies were cut into pieces and those pieces were sewn together and made into necklaces which were put around their mothers necks.

Our first sikh saint general was banda singh bahadur, his 4 year old son was cut open, while alive and his little heart was put in his fathers mouth. Then bahadur jis "eyes were gouged out. Baba ji's Body was then hung on a Gate where he was skinned alive. Then his body was pierced with red hot rods; finally he dismembered limb by limb".-sikhiwiki.

And this is just the beginning of sikh history!

Christians love jesus because he died on a cross for them, so how can I leave my gurus and sanits who went through SO MUCH, just for me? I can't!

There are sooooooooo many saints, they walk amongst us! The are the ones who fight for justice, they are the purest of the pure!!

Guru nanak dev ji was physically a man, but he had reached divine understanding, so he became one with God. We believe that when you become one with someone the difference between you and them is finished. You become them and they become you. This can only be understood through love, not with your brains. If you loved a woman more than yourself and she loved you more than herself, there would be no difference between you in your hearts, but you will always be a man and she a woman.

No it's ok, you can butt in any time!:-)

Are you a christian?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
An Indian Giver is one who gives you something but then later asks to have it back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver
An Indian Burn is a mild form of torture usually inflicted on a sibling or close friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cuyw-yYNZisXX
Neither really has anything to do with India or Indian people.
Oh, ok.

lol, I don't ask for it back coz i know i'm never going to get it back! People are so rude, so i've stopped asking.

I knew what an indian burn is, but I've only given people chinese burns, lol.

Have u seen batman yet? I watched the new twilight film today, it was really good! u into them?

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, ok.
lol, I don't ask for it back coz i know i'm never going to get it back! People are so rude, so i've stopped asking.
I knew what an indian burn is, but I've only given people chinese burns, lol.
Have u seen batman yet? I watched the new twilight film today, it was really good! u into them?
I'm waiting for my bro to buy the new Batman on bluray so I can borrow it.

I'm into vampire stuff.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the intellectuality they display in their proselytizing of this New Atheism, or rather the lack of such, proves they are poseurs trying to imitate atheists of old who actually did have some brains and didn't have to dash into shrieking terms like religitard, christurd, stupid Christians, and like very highly refined terms one would use in an intellectual discussion.
But they fail. I like to differentiate between the legitimate atheists and the stamped out models manufactured by the mass media from those with emotional issues and low wattage thinking apparatus.
I'm of the old school atheism, but got educated.
You asked.
I know. You're the best, smartest, brightest person in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 12 min Amused 7
Our world came from nothing? 12 min Thinking 397
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 16 min Thinking 899
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 36
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr fadu singh 21,492
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 3 hr religionislies 25
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 3 hr religionislies 8
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••