Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
135,741 - 135,760 of 226,288 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#141239 Nov 27, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It ain't you boner! lol
You bone up for something, like studying. You can't do that with an empty box you pour empty beers into.

Moron.

Speaking of beers and boogers, what happened to Oogah?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#141240 Nov 27, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>There are accounts of a lot of things.
Yes, that is true. I have even heard of accounts of Topix atheists being intelligent and rational. From Topix atheists, that is. Another of those things there just ain't no available evidence of.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141241 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So can I, but Poly may need help getting his bike brakes adjusted.
If you are in his neighborhood?
Not unless he's a rancher....

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141242 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com. au/news/world/germany-to-ban-s ex-with-animals-report/story-f nddckzi-1226524544281
Amusing.
WTF?

"THE German government is about to reintroduce a ban on bestiality..."

reintroduce?!?!?

Thank God I ain't German. That's embarrassing.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141243 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is true. I have even heard of accounts of Topix atheists being intelligent and rational. From Topix atheists, that is. Another of those things there just ain't no available evidence of.
That's so true.

And it's certainly not reproducible or observable....

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#141244 Nov 27, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*Helpless laughter*
You may have grown up around boats, Chicken-of-the-sea, but you don't know much about 'em.
Drain p-lugs only work when the boat's moving through the water fast enough to raise the bow higher that the stern. This requires external power - motor or sail.
If you're just being borne along by a current, as the "Ark" allegedly was, there's no significant pitch relative to the surrounding medium.
Pulling the plug in those circumstances would have exactly the same effect as doing so while sitting still in mid-duckpond.
Water comes into the people locker, and you sink.
(One is irresistibly reminded of Larry, Curly and Moe in a rowboat. With a brace and bit.)
Iím glad you had a good laugh at yourself.

You remind me of Wile E. Coyote, the genius.

Good luck shopping at ACME.

Beep, Beep, zooooooooom.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141245 Nov 27, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Clementine, in Vancouver this weekend I had a taxi driver, Indian man, who was commenting in a negative way on the fundamentalist Christians in the U.S. Then he said don't get me wrong, I believe in a god, but my god is nature.
Is this the belief of Sikhism?
Not really, we believe "God is in the creation and the creation is in God", but they are still different things. In the GGS it says that God is woven into his creation like thread in a pearl necklace. We are meant to respect and love nature; "air is the guru, water is the father and earth is the mother." We believe that every living thing has a soul, the same soul. One thing is not more superior than the other. God loves all his creation equally and all the creation is related to eachother, as we all come from one source.

I have to say one thing here, in sikhism it does not matter what you believe, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you must try to be a good human. So you can believe that God created the world by dancing, singing, etc... these harmless things mean nothing and have no importance, but you must not forget that God is love and to reach God you must learn to love all his creation. People argue about how the world was created, they fight and forget that they're fighting with their 'siblings'. People hurt eachother because of stupid things that aren't even that important.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141246 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you for your kind and generous thoughts.
I shall shred it into one million pieces. Then use it as snow for our nativity scene. Bless you for your contribution.
Do you chain and lock down your baby jesus?

You should. I have a collection.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#141247 Nov 27, 2012
Apropos nothing at all, I've got visions of inebriated people pissing on counters, trying to hit the tests...
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, what? Piss tests are sold over the counter now, results in less than 30 minutes.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141248 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really, we believe "God is in the creation and the creation is in God", but they are still different things. In the GGS it says that God is woven into his creation like thread in a pearl necklace. We are meant to respect and love nature; "air is the guru, water is the father and earth is the mother." We believe that every living thing has a soul, the same soul. One thing is not more superior than the other. God loves all his creation equally and all the creation is related to eachother, as we all come from one source.
I have to say one thing here, in sikhism it does not matter what you believe, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you must try to be a good human. So you can believe that God created the world by dancing, singing, etc... these harmless things mean nothing and have no importance, but you must not forget that God is love and to reach God you must learn to love all his creation. People argue about how the world was created, they fight and forget that they're fighting with their 'siblings'. People hurt eachother because of stupid things that aren't even that important.
Why are so many Indians seen as penny pinchers? They're always out for a discount & never give a discount. What's up with that? Is it Americanization or is it just their nature?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#141249 Nov 27, 2012
Not really. German christians killed so many not so very long ago.

And yet, even now, they think it is OK to wear red socks with sandals.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com. au/news/world/germany-to-ban-s ex-with-animals-report/story-f nddckzi-1226524544281
Amusing.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141250 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And God doesn't love his children? Yet he still throws them onto a bed of hot coals, forever!!! Why, because they don't love him. Is this how you garner love, throughout the threat of eternal roasting? Imagine your lover telling you that you HAD to love him or he would pour gasoline on you and light you on fire. Isn't love earned? Ca you legislate love like God does? Is that real love?
My God doesn't throw you in hell! We have no hell and heaven!!!!

"You cherish even the ungrateful ones; Your Glance of Grace is perfect, Lord."

God doesn't want us to worship him;

"If the whole world came together and worshipped him, he would not become greater or lesser."

My God wants us to take care of each other, love each other! That's what Guru nanak dev ji said and did.

OMG, that's the example (lover punishing you) I used to explain to christians, lol but it didn't work they still told me i'm going to hell.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141251 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When you say "Yes there is a God" you then have made a positive claim and it MUST be supported with demonstrable evidence,,,,,,,,so go ahead and show me your evince.
If you can't prove God exists but just believe it, then that is an irrational, illogical belief. Something is either real or it isn't. "Real" does not mean its just something you believe in and think is real. "Real" is something that can be observed and examined, otherwise its just an unsupported belief.
How can you prove love exists? My God is love and I've felt it but I'm sorry I don't know how to prove it.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141252 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to fund S. American drug lords, go for it. But don't come crying to mommy when you're cought shootin up flour.
It's not about the danger of using drugs. It's about the availability of those drugs when a war has been declared on them. The US federal government won't admit that it's losing. The state and local governments love it. They make money by confiscating assets and levying fines. The feds spend billions, the locals make millions and you and I pay for the scam. Don't come crying to mommy when your taxes are raised.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141253 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are so many Indians seen as penny pinchers? They're always out for a discount & never give a discount. What's up with that? Is it Americanization or is it just their nature?
lol, I thought most human-beings are like that! We want to get something for free but not give anything for free. I guess it's human nature.

I don't know about other indians, but if I give someone money I tell them to keep it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#141254 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím glad you had a good laugh at yourself.
You remind me of Wile E. Coyote, the genius.
Good luck shopping at ACME.
Beep, Beep, zooooooooom.
"Neener, neener neener"?

That's all you have?

After "growing up around boats"?

*faint strains of cruise band playing 'Nearer, My God, to Thee' in background*

*glub glub*

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141255 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference in mine and yours is mine is a solid block. Yours is an empty box.
Has more substance.:-)
and weight. How are your neck muscles?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#141256 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about the danger of using drugs. It's about the availability of those drugs when a war has been declared on them. The US federal government won't admit that it's losing. The state and local governments love it. They make money by confiscating assets and levying fines. The feds spend billions, the locals make millions and you and I pay for the scam. Don't come crying to mommy when your taxes are raised.
It creates larger governments and bigger budgets to plunder. A lot of socsal programs did the same thing.

So, just how would you tackle the abuse of drugs on such a large scale as it is now, no wishful thinking allowed?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#141257 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
and weight. How are your neck muscles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7ushQ_mMSqwXX
Stiff.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#141258 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
We believe that God has sent and keeps sending many saints and Jesus that is not the only way to God.
If Jesus is not the only way to God then He died on the cross for nothing. Besides, Jesus said He was the only way. If what you say is correct then Jesus is incorrect as is His early followers. That would include many today who say jesus is the only way. Both propositions cannot be right so that means one has to be wrong.
Truth, honesty and love are what lead you to become a God-conscious being and only the word of the saints can help you get closer to these things.
Only the saints? Who is the currect ''saint?'' If not current then who was the last saint?
Studying in a christian school, I was told alot about Jesus. I don't know if I was told wrong or right about him, but the image of Jesus I made in my head saved me from being evil. I'm not a 100% good person, but I'm not Hitler either. Even though I love the image of Jesus, I don't believe in the bible because it wasn't written by him.
I don't want to be a christian because I've found what I was looking for. I read other religious books and have read some parts of the bible. I have the old testament and the new testament at home. After reading other religious books I read the Guru granth sahib and read sikh history, I then knew I wanted to follow the teachings of guru nanak.
No, I come from a very open family. My family would love me no matter what religion I chose, but if I chose a religion for a man then they would think I'm being stupid.
Is guru nanak a man? Is he more than a man? Sorry if i butted in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 3 min Thinking 412
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 13 min True Christian wi... 44
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 34 min Carchar king 23
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 21,500
100% Faith Free 2 hr Thinking 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 3 hr Patrick 54
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••