Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Andover, UK

#141249 Nov 27, 2012
Not really. German christians killed so many not so very long ago.

And yet, even now, they think it is OK to wear red socks with sandals.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com. au/news/world/germany-to-ban-s ex-with-animals-report/story-f nddckzi-1226524544281
Amusing.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141250 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And God doesn't love his children? Yet he still throws them onto a bed of hot coals, forever!!! Why, because they don't love him. Is this how you garner love, throughout the threat of eternal roasting? Imagine your lover telling you that you HAD to love him or he would pour gasoline on you and light you on fire. Isn't love earned? Ca you legislate love like God does? Is that real love?
My God doesn't throw you in hell! We have no hell and heaven!!!!

"You cherish even the ungrateful ones; Your Glance of Grace is perfect, Lord."

God doesn't want us to worship him;

"If the whole world came together and worshipped him, he would not become greater or lesser."

My God wants us to take care of each other, love each other! That's what Guru nanak dev ji said and did.

OMG, that's the example (lover punishing you) I used to explain to christians, lol but it didn't work they still told me i'm going to hell.

Location hidden

#141251 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When you say "Yes there is a God" you then have made a positive claim and it MUST be supported with demonstrable evidence,,,,,,,,so go ahead and show me your evince.
If you can't prove God exists but just believe it, then that is an irrational, illogical belief. Something is either real or it isn't. "Real" does not mean its just something you believe in and think is real. "Real" is something that can be observed and examined, otherwise its just an unsupported belief.
How can you prove love exists? My God is love and I've felt it but I'm sorry I don't know how to prove it.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141252 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to fund S. American drug lords, go for it. But don't come crying to mommy when you're cought shootin up flour.
It's not about the danger of using drugs. It's about the availability of those drugs when a war has been declared on them. The US federal government won't admit that it's losing. The state and local governments love it. They make money by confiscating assets and levying fines. The feds spend billions, the locals make millions and you and I pay for the scam. Don't come crying to mommy when your taxes are raised.

Location hidden

#141253 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are so many Indians seen as penny pinchers? They're always out for a discount & never give a discount. What's up with that? Is it Americanization or is it just their nature?
lol, I thought most human-beings are like that! We want to get something for free but not give anything for free. I guess it's human nature.

I don't know about other indians, but if I give someone money I tell them to keep it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#141254 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím glad you had a good laugh at yourself.
You remind me of Wile E. Coyote, the genius.
Good luck shopping at ACME.
Beep, Beep, zooooooooom.
"Neener, neener neener"?

That's all you have?

After "growing up around boats"?

*faint strains of cruise band playing 'Nearer, My God, to Thee' in background*

*glub glub*

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#141255 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference in mine and yours is mine is a solid block. Yours is an empty box.
Has more substance.:-)
and weight. How are your neck muscles?

Westcliffe, CO

#141256 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about the danger of using drugs. It's about the availability of those drugs when a war has been declared on them. The US federal government won't admit that it's losing. The state and local governments love it. They make money by confiscating assets and levying fines. The feds spend billions, the locals make millions and you and I pay for the scam. Don't come crying to mommy when your taxes are raised.
It creates larger governments and bigger budgets to plunder. A lot of socsal programs did the same thing.

So, just how would you tackle the abuse of drugs on such a large scale as it is now, no wishful thinking allowed?

Westcliffe, CO

#141257 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
and weight. How are your neck muscles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7ushQ_mMSqwXX
Stiff.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#141258 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
We believe that God has sent and keeps sending many saints and Jesus that is not the only way to God.
If Jesus is not the only way to God then He died on the cross for nothing. Besides, Jesus said He was the only way. If what you say is correct then Jesus is incorrect as is His early followers. That would include many today who say jesus is the only way. Both propositions cannot be right so that means one has to be wrong.
Truth, honesty and love are what lead you to become a God-conscious being and only the word of the saints can help you get closer to these things.
Only the saints? Who is the currect ''saint?'' If not current then who was the last saint?
Studying in a christian school, I was told alot about Jesus. I don't know if I was told wrong or right about him, but the image of Jesus I made in my head saved me from being evil. I'm not a 100% good person, but I'm not Hitler either. Even though I love the image of Jesus, I don't believe in the bible because it wasn't written by him.
I don't want to be a christian because I've found what I was looking for. I read other religious books and have read some parts of the bible. I have the old testament and the new testament at home. After reading other religious books I read the Guru granth sahib and read sikh history, I then knew I wanted to follow the teachings of guru nanak.
No, I come from a very open family. My family would love me no matter what religion I chose, but if I chose a religion for a man then they would think I'm being stupid.
Is guru nanak a man? Is he more than a man? Sorry if i butted in.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141259 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Says who?
Says every nation that has ever tried it.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141260 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly don't post as if you're the happiest person on the face of the planet...
WAIT! The planet doesn't have a face, so you MUST be wrong.......
<quoted text>
Don't we all?
<quoted text>
In what way? Do the kiddies pose a threat to you? The ones that believe in Santa?
<quoted text>
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......
Don't you think religious people critically think about what religion to choose?
<quoted text>
ALL the world issues? c'mon
<quoted text>
To which "facts" are you referring that we all don't believe?
<quoted text>
Nor is it rational to assume that what you've been told about evolution MUST be real & true. It changes too much.
<quoted text>
In what way?
<quoted text>
No, but it implies it. I think that's why everything you read that biblical you can twist into something evil & filled with hate.
<quoted text>
Probably not a good idea to tell me that I'm crazy after I've been drinking... Just sayin'
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......And what methodology do you use to determine if your beliefs are true?

Nor is it rational to assume that what you've been told about evolution MUST be real & true. It changes too much..........It's entirely rational to trust the evidence presented by experts. It's also rational to trust what the majority say is true. You do that with your doctor don't you, or do you say that medical science changes to much to trusted at all? Mainstream science has proven that evolution is a fact 99% of ALL scientist worldwide accept that evolution is a fact. Virtually EVERYONE. with the exception of religious fanatics, realize that evolution is factual. In this day of information, it's absurd to think otherwise. Your statement that "it changes to much" is testimony to your ignorance on the subject. You obviously have NO idea how or why evolution words. Stop reading articles from creationists, it WILL damage your brain!!!!

I'll tell you your f--king crazy before we start drinking!!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141261 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Any deviation from a straight line following that current kicks inertia in. Any bend or eddy in the river. The raft or boat has to be pushed in a new direction by that current. Its coherent mass is a bunch heavier than individual water molecules.
Takes a while to get back up to speed.
I thought we were talking about the Ark, in the ocean, were currents run in the same direction for thousands of miles.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141262 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
um..... Why would a whale need to be on the Ark?
'_'
Your God instructed Noah to gather all VERTEBRATES and AIR BREATHERS, Whales fall into that classification.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#141263 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
My God doesn't throw you in hell! We have no hell and heaven!!!!
"You cherish even the ungrateful ones; Your Glance of Grace is perfect, Lord."
God doesn't want us to worship him;
"If the whole world came together and worshipped him, he would not become greater or lesser."
My God wants us to take care of each other, love each other! That's what Guru nanak dev ji said and did.
OMG, that's the example (lover punishing you) I used to explain to christians, lol but it didn't work they still told me i'm going to hell.
And of all the hundreds of Gods, what makes your particular brand true? How do you know Haniman the monkey God is not the true God? What evidence do you possess that says your God is more valid that the Christian God, or Allah?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#141264 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, I thought most human-beings are like that! We want to get something for free but not give anything for free. I guess it's human nature.
I don't know about other indians, but if I give someone money I tell them to keep it.
So you're not an Indian Giver?

Don't give me an Indian Burn, I'm just kidding.

Westcliffe, CO

#141265 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I thought we were talking about the Ark, in the ocean, were currents run in the same direction for thousands of miles.
Why would the Ark have to cross the ocean? It could have stayed in the same region. It could have sidled up next to a mountain and risen with the water. It could have been caught in a big eddy over a valley.

It probably floated in a big mess of debris and bodies for a long time. They may even have collected around it by gravity.

If it rained, the water collected from the mountains running down, and from the bodies of water rising up. Could have done a lot of things.

Location hidden

#141266 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is true. I have even heard of accounts of Topix atheists being intelligent and rational. From Topix atheists, that is. Another of those things there just ain't no available evidence of.
Why do you always have to segue into one of your "topix atheist" rants.

Location hidden

#141267 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It creates larger governments and bigger budgets to plunder. A lot of socsal programs did the same thing.
So, just how would you tackle the abuse of drugs on such a large scale as it is now, no wishful thinking allowed?
Accept the fact that some people are going to abuse no matter what, and give them the help that they need.

Location hidden

#141268 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think religious beliefs are kind of quaint when they aren't being pushed on people. It's blended in history and culture. It's when religious beliefs get in the way of progress or ethical behavior that bothers me.
You don't push your beliefs like they are the only truths in the universe, so I appreciate that.
:-)

I agree! That's why sikhism came into existence, to stop people forcing their beliefs on others. I know I'm not a very good sikh, but I try my best to follow GGS. I believe the GGS to be the truth, that's why I don't push my belief on anyone and also I'm not going to have someone force their belief on me either.

@special atheist gibbs..who said u could call me Clemm? huh?:-)

@Redneck...don't make me show you my fist, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Consequences of Atheism 10 min susanblange 856
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min Denisova 17,037
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 4,939
Religiosity 2 hr thetruth 5
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 2 hr thetruth 34
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,674
Is God a Perfect Being? 6 hr hpcaban 1
More from around the web