Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141196 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Cigarettes don't impair ones ability to drive...
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither does pot.
Alcohol does.
WHAT?!?!

There are MANY ways that pots f_cks with your driving...

Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)

Loss of coordination

alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.ht...

Location hidden

#141197 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion stinks.
No, that's your upper lip.

Location hidden

#141198 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
What kind of propulsion did the ark have?
God

Location hidden

#141200 Nov 27, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Did the ark carry 2 or 7 blue whales? After all whale meat is classed as food in some countries
um..... Why would a whale need to be on the Ark?

'_'

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#141201 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, water currents are wind on steroids.
Frontal area, inertia, buoyancy, leverage on centers of gravity, and a host of other thingies also come into play. Shit, maybe even random quantum fluctuations.
BTW, the ark was alleged to have a fairly poor wind profile. Kind of streamlined.
Sort of like your head eh? Shaped like a block.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#141202 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The states that have already legalized pot have already seen problems. Read the pdf file....
www.iowa.gov/odcp/docs/IBH-MarijuanaFacts11-1...
These problems have absolutely nothing to do with the legal status.

You're so lazy. Make a point.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#141203 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But being under the influence of pot is MUCH harder to prove than alcohol...
Wait, what? Piss tests are sold over the counter now, results in less than 30 minutes.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#141204 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Cigarettes don't impair ones ability to drive...
<quoted text>
WHAT?!?!
There are MANY ways that pots f_cks with your driving...
Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
Loss of coordination
alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.ht...
It plays hell with night driving. Or heavy traffic in the daytime.

Kind of neat on the open road during daylight, though. Kick back, put a leg up, and enjoy the speed and motion. Maybe even drink a beer. Made a run between Houston and Dallas like that once. Over 120 MPH on a hilly and curvy FM road for a long ways. I weren't paying any attention to the speedometer. No cops, fortunately. Cruise control is a good thing to use when driving stoned like that. Don't trust your feel of the road.

Location hidden

#141205 Nov 27, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sort of like your head eh? Shaped like a block.
The difference in mine and yours is mine is a solid block. Yours is an empty box.

Has more substance.:-)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#141206 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
"99.9 percent of the Universe is made up of plasma," says Dr. Dennis Gallagher, a plasma physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. "Very little material in space is made of rock like the Earth."
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...
Read the whole article. That's NASA, BTW.
Uh, that 99.9% affects the plasmasphere we have around us, in case you didn't realize that. The infinite reach thingy of EM and gravity. The sun just has a more direct effect.
Yes, most of the matter in the universe is in stars, which are plasma. And just how much does that E&M force actually affect things? yes, it affects things like solar flares and the solar wind. But the effects of these on the motion of planets is very, very small. It is much more important as an aspect of electrical storms, which we know exist on Earth, Jupiter and Saturn.

None of the 'textbook heads' say that E&M is non-existent. It is even important for some phenomena. In particular, if you want to see the universe, it is good to have E&M radiation, i.e. light, so that you can see where things are. Strong E&M fields also exist around neutron stars. They produce pulsars.

But the motion of the planets is determined primarily by gravity. The motion of stars is determined primarily by gravity. And, given the weakness of the galactic E&M fields, the motion of galaxies is determined mostly by gravity.

The fact that you never seem to be able to accept is that E&M does not affect things even close to as much as your delusions want it to.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#141207 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference in mine and yours is mine is a solid block. Yours is an empty box.
And yet you're a proven lying idiot who denies evolution.

I'll take the empty box thanks.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#141208 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You just complimented Aura and insulted yourself, I commend your humility and courage to do that.

Empty boxes learn and often contain things of value, solid blocks have no room for anything of value.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#141209 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Plasma cosmology has some issues that make it incomplete, but I will tell you why it is fought tooth and nail. That is because it points to a higher intelligent force.
Huh? What makes you say that? At best, it could be a different mathematical theory of how the universe works. Yes, there are plasmas in the universe. Stars, many nebulae, etc are plasma. So? You act like plasma are some unknown phenomenon that we have no mathematical models for. Quite the opposite is true: maxwell's equations are very precise descriptions of how electromagnetism and plasma act.
This would bypass the high priests of gravity based physics and their sophistric gobblydegook they like to impress the rubes whose eyes are glued to the screen watching the beautiful colors and listening to the cool dramatic music and narrator with the cool voice, coupled with those lovely artist renditions of the way things surely happened according to them.
They would have to get a real job.
It isn't all that difficult to calculate the effects that plasma have on various phenomena. Want me to point you to some technical books on plasmas?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#141210 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen or been river rafting? The water can flow faster than the raft. The heavier the raft the faster water will go around it.
Now a large wooden ship will follow the current but not at the same speed. One must factor in resistance, friction loss and weight of the vessel.
No matter how heavy the boat, it will eventually move as fast as the current is moving, unless an outside agent interferes with the boat.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141211 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe everything you read online, especially a site that has an agenda for defending pot......
"Canadian researchers have concluded that people who smoke marijuana within three hours of driving are nearly twice as likely to get in a serious car crash.
The research included nine observational studies, with a sample size of nearly 50,000 accident victims."
www.insideline.com
You said that weed was *more* dangerous than alcohol. It's not. I never said that it was harmless. I don't think you should ever drive after using any drug.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141212 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying, I do.
My only problem with legal drugs is the ease of getting them. By keeping them illegal it makes it hard to get your hands on - and you risk jail or prison time for it. It deters some users to quit & it deters some from ever starting.
I'm fine with people using drugs casually. But that's the problem with a lot of folks, they can't use drugs in moderation, they allow it to control their lives. Excessive drug use leads todo many problems, I think if they were to become legal, there'd be a lot more addicts out there.
I'd kinda rather have drug lords in charge of their addicts than the federal government. That's a disaster of biblical proportions waiting to happen.
In my opinion, of course.
Drug use goes down after legalization/decriminalization .

Location hidden

#141214 Nov 27, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, most of the matter in the universe is in stars, which are plasma. And just how much does that E&M force actually affect things? yes, it affects things like solar flares and the solar wind. But the effects of these on the motion of planets is very, very small. It is much more important as an aspect of electrical storms, which we know exist on Earth, Jupiter and Saturn.
None of the 'textbook heads' say that E&M is non-existent. It is even important for some phenomena. In particular, if you want to see the universe, it is good to have E&M radiation, i.e. light, so that you can see where things are. Strong E&M fields also exist around neutron stars. They produce pulsars.
But the motion of the planets is determined primarily by gravity. The motion of stars is determined primarily by gravity. And, given the weakness of the galactic E&M fields, the motion of galaxies is determined mostly by gravity.
The fact that you never seem to be able to accept is that E&M does not affect things even close to as much as your delusions want it to.
Your computations of star movement and etc are in error. That is why you now have dark matter, dark energy, and black holes.

The stars have been moving, as have the planets, and the galaxies, totally ignorant of the way they are supposed to.

Evidently they missed something in their development of the theory.

Gravity works between particles. Take away the balance of charge in an atom, and you increase the EM range of it. The sucker get unbalanced and starts reaching out. Only stronger than gravity does. BTW, this imbalance also reaches to the nuclear forces.

A neutral atom doesn't emit the charge an unbalanced one does. This is the sort of thing that makes chemistry.

Your perception of electricity is a charge being passed within matter based upon a loosely bound electron KICKED out of a perfectly harmonious relationship and forced to find another. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Gravity as portrayed sucks. It really pushes.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#141215 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No matter how heavy the boat, it will eventually move as fast as the current is moving, unless an outside agent interferes with the boat.
If it makes you a happy camper then it ok by me.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#141216 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your computations of star movement and etc are in error. That is why you now have dark matter, dark energy, and black holes.
The stars have been moving, as have the planets, and the galaxies, totally ignorant of the way they are supposed to.
Evidently they missed something in their development of the theory.
Gravity works between particles. Take away the balance of charge in an atom, and you increase the EM range of it. The sucker get unbalanced and starts reaching out. Only stronger than gravity does. BTW, this imbalance also reaches to the nuclear forces.
A neutral atom doesn't emit the charge an unbalanced one does. This is the sort of thing that makes chemistry.
Your perception of electricity is a charge being passed within matter based upon a loosely bound electron KICKED out of a perfectly harmonious relationship and forced to find another. It's a bit more complicated than that.
Gravity as portrayed sucks. It really pushes.
and therefore god...that is basically your argument, right?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#141217 Nov 27, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You said that weed was *more* dangerous than alcohol. It's not. I never said that it was harmless. I don't think you should ever drive after using any drug.
BINGO we have a winner!

Good thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stump a theist with 2 questions 4 min Thinking 15
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 20 min Thinking 69
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 21 min Thinking 179
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min NightSerf 22,001
The Ultimate Evidence of God 7 hr sriKim 120
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 14 hr Patrick 4,085
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 15 hr Patrick 38
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••