Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141265 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I thought we were talking about the Ark, in the ocean, were currents run in the same direction for thousands of miles.
Why would the Ark have to cross the ocean? It could have stayed in the same region. It could have sidled up next to a mountain and risen with the water. It could have been caught in a big eddy over a valley.

It probably floated in a big mess of debris and bodies for a long time. They may even have collected around it by gravity.

If it rained, the water collected from the mountains running down, and from the bodies of water rising up. Could have done a lot of things.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141266 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is true. I have even heard of accounts of Topix atheists being intelligent and rational. From Topix atheists, that is. Another of those things there just ain't no available evidence of.
Why do you always have to segue into one of your "topix atheist" rants.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141267 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It creates larger governments and bigger budgets to plunder. A lot of socsal programs did the same thing.
So, just how would you tackle the abuse of drugs on such a large scale as it is now, no wishful thinking allowed?
Accept the fact that some people are going to abuse no matter what, and give them the help that they need.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141268 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think religious beliefs are kind of quaint when they aren't being pushed on people. It's blended in history and culture. It's when religious beliefs get in the way of progress or ethical behavior that bothers me.
You don't push your beliefs like they are the only truths in the universe, so I appreciate that.
:-)

I agree! That's why sikhism came into existence, to stop people forcing their beliefs on others. I know I'm not a very good sikh, but I try my best to follow GGS. I believe the GGS to be the truth, that's why I don't push my belief on anyone and also I'm not going to have someone force their belief on me either.

@special atheist gibbs..who said u could call me Clemm? huh?:-)

@Redneck...don't make me show you my fist, lol.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141269 Nov 27, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you always have to segue into one of your "topix atheist" rants.
Because the intellectuality they display in their proselytizing of this New Atheism, or rather the lack of such, proves they are poseurs trying to imitate atheists of old who actually did have some brains and didn't have to dash into shrieking terms like religitard, christurd, stupid Christians, and like very highly refined terms one would use in an intellectual discussion.

But they fail. I like to differentiate between the legitimate atheists and the stamped out models manufactured by the mass media from those with emotional issues and low wattage thinking apparatus.

I'm of the old school atheism, but got educated.

You asked.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141270 Nov 27, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Accept the fact that some people are going to abuse no matter what, and give them the help that they need.
I asked Tam.

Over thousands of years it has been found that a kick in the tater can be the best help you can give the weak. Understanding is fine, but does nothing without getting good results.

Just how much resources do you believe should be expended in attempts to reclaim those poor lost souls? In particular, when they are a large percentage of the population.

Keep in mind you want to keep the society healthy more than an individual.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141271 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And of all the hundreds of Gods, what makes your particular brand true? How do you know Haniman the monkey God is not the true God? What evidence do you possess that says your God is more valid that the Christian God, or Allah?
My God is the same God! we call him ram, allah, khuda and we can call him by any name. "The guru is shiva, brahma and God is goddess paarpati...". "I see my God in the bible and the koran too"...."can you not see God in the vedas". We see God in everythng and everyone! We all come from the same source, we are not enemies of each other.

Guru nanak dev ji never said leave your own religion, they said you follow yours and let other people follow there's, stop forcing religion on people!

Hinduism (scriptures) has the same belief as sikhism, hanuman ji is not God in any of our religions. He was a saint! But I think the ramayaan is a mythical story, anyway.

Can you not see good in the bible? Are you honestly saying there is not even one line in the bible which speaks the truth? I see truth even in some of the lines of the bible. Truth (God) is pervading everywhere!

They only evidence I have is that my gurus and the sikhs of that time when the GGS was written became the best human beings I have ever read about. Sikhism is a very new religion and we have alot of historical evidence (English, french, muslim sources) to prove sikhs were one of the, if not the most, nicest people to walk this planet and this was only due to guru nanak dev jis teachings; live and let live!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141272 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're not an Indian Giver?
Don't give me an Indian Burn, I'm just kidding.
lol, i'm sorry, i don't get it!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#141273 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, i'm sorry, i don't get it!
An Indian Giver is one who gives you something but then later asks to have it back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver

An Indian Burn is a mild form of torture usually inflicted on a sibling or close friend.



Neither really has anything to do with India or Indian people.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#141274 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the Ark have to cross the ocean? It could have stayed in the same region. It could have sidled up next to a mountain and risen with the water. It could have been caught in a big eddy over a valley.
It probably floated in a big mess of debris and bodies for a long time. They may even have collected around it by gravity.
If it rained, the water collected from the mountains running down, and from the bodies of water rising up. Could have done a lot of things.

But your head , being a solid block ....would have sunk straight to the bottom. Noah's pier ...never existed. Except in the imagination
of abrahamic zombies.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141275 Nov 27, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If Jesus is not the only way to God then He died on the cross for nothing. Besides, Jesus said He was the only way. If what you say is correct then Jesus is incorrect as is His early followers. That would include many today who say jesus is the only way. Both propositions cannot be right so that means one has to be wrong. <quoted text> Only the saints? Who is the currect ''saint?'' If not current then who was the last saint?
<quoted text> Is guru nanak a man? Is he more than a man? Sorry if i butted in.
In christianity only Jesus died for his people, but in sikhi nearly every guru was tortured and died for their people. My 5th guru was tortured, made to sit on a massive burning hot metal plate and had hot sand poured over their body. My 9th guru was tortured and beheaded. My 10th gurus children, only 7 and 9, were tortured, bricked alive and beheaded. His older children who were 11 and 15 were killed in battle. His mother was thrown of a tower and his father was the 9th guru who was beheaded.

Other saints were boiled alive, burned alive, cut from head to toe in half, had their scalp cut off. Babies were cut into pieces and those pieces were sewn together and made into necklaces which were put around their mothers necks.

Our first sikh saint general was banda singh bahadur, his 4 year old son was cut open, while alive and his little heart was put in his fathers mouth. Then bahadur jis "eyes were gouged out. Baba ji's Body was then hung on a Gate where he was skinned alive. Then his body was pierced with red hot rods; finally he dismembered limb by limb".-sikhiwiki.

And this is just the beginning of sikh history!

Christians love jesus because he died on a cross for them, so how can I leave my gurus and sanits who went through SO MUCH, just for me? I can't!

There are sooooooooo many saints, they walk amongst us! The are the ones who fight for justice, they are the purest of the pure!!

Guru nanak dev ji was physically a man, but he had reached divine understanding, so he became one with God. We believe that when you become one with someone the difference between you and them is finished. You become them and they become you. This can only be understood through love, not with your brains. If you loved a woman more than yourself and she loved you more than herself, there would be no difference between you in your hearts, but you will always be a man and she a woman.

No it's ok, you can butt in any time!:-)

Are you a christian?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141276 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
An Indian Giver is one who gives you something but then later asks to have it back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver
An Indian Burn is a mild form of torture usually inflicted on a sibling or close friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cuyw-yYNZisXX
Neither really has anything to do with India or Indian people.
Oh, ok.

lol, I don't ask for it back coz i know i'm never going to get it back! People are so rude, so i've stopped asking.

I knew what an indian burn is, but I've only given people chinese burns, lol.

Have u seen batman yet? I watched the new twilight film today, it was really good! u into them?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#141277 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, ok.
lol, I don't ask for it back coz i know i'm never going to get it back! People are so rude, so i've stopped asking.
I knew what an indian burn is, but I've only given people chinese burns, lol.
Have u seen batman yet? I watched the new twilight film today, it was really good! u into them?
I'm waiting for my bro to buy the new Batman on bluray so I can borrow it.

I'm into vampire stuff.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141278 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the intellectuality they display in their proselytizing of this New Atheism, or rather the lack of such, proves they are poseurs trying to imitate atheists of old who actually did have some brains and didn't have to dash into shrieking terms like religitard, christurd, stupid Christians, and like very highly refined terms one would use in an intellectual discussion.
But they fail. I like to differentiate between the legitimate atheists and the stamped out models manufactured by the mass media from those with emotional issues and low wattage thinking apparatus.
I'm of the old school atheism, but got educated.
You asked.
I know. You're the best, smartest, brightest person in the world.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#141279 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting for my bro to buy the new Batman on bluray so I can borrow it.
I'm into vampire stuff.
Lol, people still buy films these days? lol, I know I shouldn't but I can't stop myself.

Well, I think this twilight film was better than all of the other ones, the 3 and the 4th one wasn't even needed, waste of my time.

There's a new zombie film coming out with brad pitt, I think it's going to be good like i am legend.

Goodnite! X

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#141280 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked Tam.
Over thousands of years it has been found that a kick in the tater can be the best help you can give the weak. Understanding is fine, but does nothing without getting good results.
Just how much resources do you believe should be expended in attempts to reclaim those poor lost souls? In particular, when they are a large percentage of the population.
Keep in mind you want to keep the society healthy more than an individual.
This is a forum. If you want to have a private conversation, use PMs.

If a "kick in the tater" was the best help we could give addicts, then by now, shouldn't the drug war be over? Shouldn't every single addict we send to prison come out a new man?

We both know that doesn't happen. Why not use all the money that would have gone towards imprisonment and put it towards rehabilitation?

But we can't do that, we need to punish those drug addicts for... something.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141281 Nov 27, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But your head , being a solid block ....would have sunk straight to the bottom. Noah's pier ...never existed. Except in the imagination
of abrahamic zombies.
Auralie, you should well know by now I am not a fundamentalist Christian. The closest would be a Christian sympathizer as I see aspects of the religion being the best for a universal religion on this planet, limiting the power of men over men, and actually being the most individual oriented type of worship. I read the book and the messages differently than most people do.

I am on here because this Neo Atheism is a flim flam by perverted people recycling the better aspects of Christianity as secularism in order to dispose of the old order and install themselves as the high priests of mankind. With the advantage of doing away with the higher authority those old middle men priests had to allege they served. Why have a deity for others to worship when you can have them worship you. Oh, they talk a good game about love and freedom now, but you will hear less of that after they get control. Everything will be for the betterment of mankind. If you just follow their orders and sacrifice yourself if the need arises.

You think it is bad now with the power of some churches, wait until there are no more and they are the only game in town.

They use this recycled Christian ethic and the disaffection many have with established churches, and draw in the perverts for even more power. Lots and lots of Christiana are disaffected with some of those churches. That is why they form a new one, or find another one. They are not the suckers the others are.

The tendency I mentioned earlier of these Topix atheists to use terms like religitard reveals the psyche of those adherents to the Neo Atheism. People with anger and head issues. With a heavy dose of intolerance in the mix.

Oh, all of this Utopian splendor we will have when they destroy religion.

I ask you this. How do you get a planetary population to sing from the same sheet of music? What do you do to convince those vehemently opposed to the New Order of Things to join the choir? Everyone has a different view of the world culturally, but mostly from the economic end.

How you going to do it? Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot had the same problem.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#141282 Nov 27, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, people still buy films these days? lol, I know I shouldn't but I can't stop myself.
Well, I think this twilight film was better than all of the other ones, the 3 and the 4th one wasn't even needed, waste of my time.
There's a new zombie film coming out with brad pitt, I think it's going to be good like i am legend.
Goodnite! X
World War Z!

Yeah, I wanna watch that one.

Dream of zombie Brad Pitt trying to eat your brains.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141283 Nov 27, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>This is a forum. If you want to have a private conversation, use PMs.
If a "kick in the tater" was the best help we could give addicts, then by now, shouldn't the drug war be over? Shouldn't every single addict we send to prison come out a new man?
We both know that doesn't happen. Why not use all the money that would have gone towards imprisonment and put it towards rehabilitation?
But we can't do that, we need to punish those drug addicts for... something.
You can't let them run wild.

The real problem lies in the civilization we have. People want to escape it. It's not any religion causing that, though in some instances it may contribute. This civilization is not real, it is not natural. It is not the way it is supposed to be. There is no guiding light to lead mankind and really unite him. Some religions try, but they stumble in the dark, too.

But there is one religion that is guaranteed to make it even worse. This Neo Atheism. You God and guiding light is that flaming as*hole you knew back in school or worked for. No afterlife you struggle through this one to get to. You are stuck here with no escape. Being stellar poop living for other stellar poop is hardly something worth living for. You can throw any noble ideas away, as it is get what trips your trigger while you can.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#141284 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Auralie, you should well know by now I am not a fundamentalist Christian. The closest would be a Christian sympathizer as I see aspects of the religion being the best for a universal religion on this planet, limiting the power of men over men, and actually being the most individual oriented type of worship. I read the book and the messages differently than most people do.
I am on here because this Neo Atheism is a flim flam by perverted people recycling the better aspects of Christianity as secularism in order to dispose of the old order and install themselves as the high priests of mankind. With the advantage of doing away with the higher authority those old middle men priests had to allege they served. Why have a deity for others to worship when you can have them worship you. Oh, they talk a good game about love and freedom now, but you will hear less of that after they get control. Everything will be for the betterment of mankind. If you just follow their orders and sacrifice yourself if the need arises.
You think it is bad now with the power of some churches, wait until there are no more and they are the only game in town.
They use this recycled Christian ethic and the disaffection many have with established churches, and draw in the perverts for even more power. Lots and lots of Christiana are disaffected with some of those churches. That is why they form a new one, or find another one. They are not the suckers the others are.
The tendency I mentioned earlier of these Topix atheists to use terms like religitard reveals the psyche of those adherents to the Neo Atheism. People with anger and head issues. With a heavy dose of intolerance in the mix.
Oh, all of this Utopian splendor we will have when they destroy religion.
I ask you this. How do you get a planetary population to sing from the same sheet of music? What do you do to convince those vehemently opposed to the New Order of Things to join the choir? Everyone has a different view of the world culturally, but mostly from the economic end.
How you going to do it? Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot had the same problem.
Dave, you have a serious problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min SoE 48,707
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 23,534
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr Uncle Sam 70
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 21,881
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Into The Night 5,705
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 8 hr Amused 3
What are the best arguments against religion? 13 hr Igor Trip 2
More from around the web