Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247811 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#141176 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if anybody ever explained the birds and the bees to you, but I couldn't be here without my mother.
I COULD be here without your god.
Hey, you wouldn't be here if your grandfather hadn't used "Old Spice." So get a bottle and carry on the tradition.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#141177 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And not a single bone was saved.
The stoneworks and mounds were interesting.
He lost me at the giant skeleton reports with no evidence (save one easily faked picture) and the Smithsonian conspiracy.
A lot of those places are fairly nearby. I'll have to check some of them out.
Those accounts of giant skeletons have been around for a long time. Plus you will note the newspaper accounts of the times. What you won't see is any reference to them in mainstream science, of that or this time. No refutations or explanations.

A double row of teeth does have an odd evolutionary aspect to it. Why two rows? What advantage?

Westcliffe, CO

#141178 Nov 27, 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/25/soul...

Afterlife discussion among scientists.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#141179 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I asked you earlier about why you dropped out of the Academy. I wasn’t doing so to be mean. I know it has to be one tough school as with all of the military academies. I would think the first year would be the hardest.
The military academies only take the top 1% in High Schools. So you have to be pretty darn smart just to get in there. Then you have to put up with a lot of hazing from upper classmen.
I would rather have gone to a Harvard, Yale versus the Academy then go to OCS. Did you transfer you credits to another university or just went to work somewhere?
I just went to work.

I always hated school.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#141180 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you wouldn't be here if your grandfather hadn't used "Old Spice." So get a bottle and carry on the tradition.
I use Old Spice deodorant.

Close enough.

I'm such a romantic.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#141181 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those accounts of giant skeletons have been around for a long time. Plus you will note the newspaper accounts of the times. What you won't see is any reference to them in mainstream science, of that or this time. No refutations or explanations.
A double row of teeth does have an odd evolutionary aspect to it. Why two rows? What advantage?
Some food for thought.

Hope this doesn't hurt TOO much.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4144

Frankly, I'm surprised they let him talk at TED. I wonder if they knew the full content of his lecture.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#141182 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And not a single bone was saved.
The stoneworks and mounds were interesting.
He lost me at the giant skeleton reports with no evidence (save one easily faked picture) and the Smithsonian conspiracy.
A lot of those places are fairly nearby. I'll have to check some of them out.
Kent Hovind, or possibly Willy Craig, has one of the hoax bones from a giant on display, he still claims it's real.

Westcliffe, CO

#141183 Nov 27, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I asked you earlier about why you dropped out of the Academy. I wasn’t doing so to be mean. I know it has to be one tough school as with all of the military academies. I would think the first year would be the hardest.
The military academies only take the top 1% in High Schools. So you have to be pretty darn smart just to get in there. Then you have to put up with a lot of hazing from upper classmen.
I would rather have gone to a Harvard, Yale versus the Academy then go to OCS. Did you transfer you credits to another university or just went to work somewhere?
In the event of reduction of forces, Academy grads of all services are the last to go. Those are permanent slots, so to speak. OCS and ROTC are always temporary commissions.

You also have a thing called brevet rank, which is temporary commission of a higher rank. I worked for a Command Sergeant Major that was a battlefield commission Captain in WWII, but after the war was when the Army went back to its standard T of O and E became a noncommissioned officer again. His retirement may have been higher because of that.

I also worked with a SFC that was probably the oldest serving soldier in the country, then and now. Before the RIF as Vietnam happened they started a quality of forces program where you had to make a certain rank within a certain amount of years to be able to re-enlist or be retained. This sergeant started out in a horse cavalry unit in the 1920's. No basic training as they have now back then. Basic was with the unit you were assingned to. He got out and went back in several times like many guys did before the new Army. He managed to get back in before that and finish his 20 years. He was 70 years old. Helluva nice old guy. Living history.

Westcliffe, CO

#141184 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Some food for thought.
Hope this doesn't hurt TOO much.
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4144
Frankly, I'm surprised they let him talk at TED. I wonder if they knew the full content of his lecture.
It don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_%2...

Your boy is a professional skeptic. Makes money doing it. He was also indicted for fraud.

You would think from all of these "debunkers", no one back then had time to do anything but create hoaxes. There would be some pretty elaborate ones if you believed them.

The accounts happened. To this day there are still many everyday sort of things that happened back then we don't know of.

Who you gonna believe?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#141185 Nov 27, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_%2...

Your boy is a professional skeptic. Makes money doing it. He was also indicted for fraud.

You would think from all of these "debunkers", no one back then had time to do anything but create hoaxes. There would be some pretty elaborate ones if you believed them.

The accounts happened. To this day there are still many everyday sort of things that happened back then we don't know of.

Who you gonna believe?
The guy who finds the same things fishy that I do.

Westcliffe, CO

#141187 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy who finds the same things fishy that I do.
That doesn't make you right.

You should know that, but then again, you being you.

Westcliffe, CO

#141188 Nov 27, 2012
Enlargerating a tad on the containerized reactive forces.

Stand on a razor blade where you are perfectly balanced. Wear thick socks.

Stand there and wait until a few atoms decay on either side and you start to tilt a bit.

That is the only way the nuclear forces can affect you, and even then, it takes outside forces working on them to cause that decay.

But the slightest movement to any side of a few atoms will cause you to tilt that tad. That movement can only be effected by the pull of gravity, or the force of EM. It would take EM, as in a direct push from another object, or as a field changing the energy levels and signature in a location to move those atoms for the gravity pull to kick in. Absent changes in gravity pull from distant objects. Tidal force sort of thing. Those are THE universal forces determined by science, meaning the ones that can transverse the universe.

The textbook heads will go but, but, but, reminding one of old fashioned outboard motors.

All effects of the nuclear forces are observed from the application of gravity and EM forces applied to a clump of matter. Yet modern physics still worships those forces as the center of the universe.

Plasma cosmology has some issues that make it incomplete, but I will tell you why it is fought tooth and nail. That is because it points to a higher intelligent force. This would bypass the high priests of gravity based physics and their sophistric gobblydegook they like to impress the rubes whose eyes are glued to the screen watching the beautiful colors and listening to the cool dramatic music and narrator with the cool voice, coupled with those lovely artist renditions of the way things surely happened according to them.

They would have to get a real job.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#141189 Nov 27, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You couldn't be more wrong. I am the happiest person on the face of the planet. Great family, wonderful kids, great job, love what I do, well respected by my peers, I don't have a mean bone in my body. Why do you perceive hatred from someone who disagree's with you. Do you think everyone who disagree's with you is filled with hatred?
You certainly don't post as if you're the happiest person on the face of the planet...

WAIT! The planet doesn't have a face, so you MUST be wrong.......
I use LOGIC, REASON, and CRITICAL THINKING, to determine what is real or not.
Don't we all?
I think people who believe things just because they feel good, and for no GOOD reason, are a danger to society.
In what way? Do the kiddies pose a threat to you? The ones that believe in Santa?
People who believe without evidence are NOT critical thinkers.
Why? Critical thinking is a type of reasonable, reflective thinking that is aimed at deciding what to believe or what to do......
Don't you think religious people critically think about what religion to choose?
They are most likely unreasonable and illogical when it comes to real world issues.
ALL the world issues? c'mon
Just look at how many disbelieve the FACTS of evolution.
To which "facts" are you referring that we all don't believe?
Mountains of evidence staring them in the face and they simply ignore it. Thats is NOT critical thinking, nor is it i any way rational.
Nor is it rational to assume that what you've been told about evolution MUST be real & true. It changes too much.
These people are dangerous, religion is dangerous.
In what way?
Just because I think your God is a murdering psychopath, based on what your holy book contains, doesn't mean I'm "Filled" with hatred.
No, but it implies it. I think that's why everything you read that biblical you can twist into something evil & filled with hate.
I'd sit down and have a beer with you any day. I'd tell you that you were f--king crazy, but I don't hate you.
Probably not a good idea to tell me that I'm crazy after I've been drinking... Just sayin'

Westcliffe, CO

#141190 Nov 27, 2012
"99.9 percent of the Universe is made up of plasma," says Dr. Dennis Gallagher, a plasma physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center. "Very little material in space is made of rock like the Earth."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

Read the whole article. That's NASA, BTW.

Uh, that 99.9% affects the plasmasphere we have around us, in case you didn't realize that. The infinite reach thingy of EM and gravity. The sun just has a more direct effect.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141191 Nov 27, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I would only suggest legalizing marijuana at this time. I would also suggest changes to drug policy that would reflect the actual nature of drug use and abuse. We should treat drug abusers as victims, hold them responsible for anything they might do while high, but not treat them like scum just for making the mistake of getting hooked on a drug.
Even if we legalized all drugs, I wouldn't expect a huge increase in addictions. If drug pushers were put out of business, less people would be bullied into trying drugs. If people had a choice in drugs, they could choose the safest ones. They wouldn't have to live with the fear and paranoia of being caught and incarcerated. It would be nice if we could do that, but that's just not realistic. I don't think it would be a bad idea, necessarily, but I don't think there are enough people in power that know what they're doing to do this in a safe way. If it's just marijuana, I think it's doable and I would recommend it. Marijuana is one of the safest drugs out there, far safer than many of the prescriptions people are getting.
And if all drugs were made legal, pharmaceutical companies would be the knew drug lords. Not that they aren't already. They are just legal drug pushers. The ethics there are sketchy too.
The states that have already legalized pot have already seen problems. Read the pdf file....

www.iowa.gov/odcp/docs/IBH-MarijuanaFacts11-1...

Westcliffe, CO

#141192 Nov 27, 2012
"Gallagher's model may contribute to our understanding of how the Earth's plasma affects our quality of life. Radio waves and power lines are affected by the presence of plasma, as are satellites and the Space Shuttle. Plasma can cause an electric charge to accumulate on one part of a spacecraft but not another, sometimes resulting in an electric arc, or discharge. These electric arcs can disrupt or destroy sensitive electronic components."

From that same NASA article.

Uh, that is one tiny little spacecraft. Just think what it can do to a whole planet.

Ignorable perturbations to gravity heads.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141194 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why it's illegal to drive impaired by alcohol or pot. Sometimes law makers get it right.
I agree. But being under the influence of pot is MUCH harder to prove than alcohol...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141195 Nov 27, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The War on Drugs was lost long ago. I can buy any illegal drug I want right now with a phone call. I can't walk into a store and buy alcohol. They ask for ID.
If you want to fund S. American drug lords, go for it. But don't come crying to mommy when you're cought shootin up flour.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141196 Nov 27, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Cigarettes don't impair ones ability to drive...
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither does pot.
Alcohol does.
WHAT?!?!

There are MANY ways that pots f_cks with your driving...

Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)

Loss of coordination

alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.ht...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#141197 Nov 27, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion stinks.
No, that's your upper lip.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 22 min Eagle 12 2,369
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 33 min Eagle 12 40
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 39 min Knowledge- 12,963
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 40 min Eagle 12 47,920
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr ORIGINAL WILLARD 91
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 hr Eagle 12 20,901
Proof of God for the Atheist Wed Amused 130
More from around the web