Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256542 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#139747 Nov 21, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
An individual has to be warped to take the life of another person, but these people felt that their religious beliefs justified their choice.
Michael Frederick Griffin shot Dr. David Gunn three times while shouting "Don't kill any more babies". In the trial Griffin was reportedly brainwashed by John Burt, a director of a pro-life group, former member of the KKK and a born-again Christian.
Paul Jennings Hill, a former minister was executed for murdering abortion doctors.
Eric Robert Rudolph confessed religious motivation in the killing of two people in his anti-abortion and anti-gay plan.
James Kopp murdered abortion Dr Barnett Slepian. He was a member of a Roman Catholic anti-abortion group.
And then there is the murder of late-term abortion Dr. George Tiller. Scott Roeder, the killer was said by his wife to have "started becoming very religious in the sense that he was reading the Bible".
So far as I can tell these people were not affiliated with any atheist organizations. Why should they not be Christians in your eyes anymore because they broke a commandment?
You just named TWO that are "confirmed" to be religious....

Yup. A whopping two... Awesome

So you'll be fine condemning the other 2 billion of us?

That's called bigotry.

Bigot.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139748 Nov 21, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
No.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139749 Nov 21, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes let me know when you make up my mind.
he he he
What if she let me know when you've made up her mind.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139750 Nov 21, 2012
Any American that's on Topix tomorrow is a LOSER.

Just FYI...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139751 Nov 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
heheheheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
They've finally got condom sense!! heheheheheeee
OMG, they've seen the light! say it with me, hallelujah!! God has awakened in these people, about time too!
Finally? lol, Clem... That was 2 years ago.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#139752 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You just named TWO that are "confirmed" to be religious....
Yup. A whopping two... Awesome
So you'll be fine condemning the other 2 billion of us?
That's called bigotry.
Bigot.
How did I "condemning the other 2 billion"? I happen to know many Christians that are not willing to kill for their beliefs.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139753 Nov 21, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
How did I "condemning the other 2 billion"? I happen to know many Christians that are not willing to kill for their beliefs.
Then why do you say that Christians are killers?

Location hidden

#139754 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Any American that's on Topix tomorrow is a LOSER.
Just FYI...
You forgot to say any American who is here on Black Friday hates capitalism.

Location hidden

#139755 Nov 21, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you say that Christians are killers?
I never tried to imply that all Christians are killers. If you took it that way then it was unintended.

Location hidden

#139756 Nov 21, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
I never tried to imply that all Christians are killers. If you took it that way then it was unintended.
Cats, on the other hand, can be real bastards.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mds2fgAhTF1...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdst0whBlE1...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#139757 Nov 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, cool! What have you done? I'm going to start watching these! lol
I'll get you hooked on anime if you let me.

I've seen a few hundred.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139758 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to claim a knowledge of science as a basis for your "non-commitment" to a religion or belief in a supernatural entity. I probably have much more experience dealing with EM and some other applied sciences than you. Plus the working with transducers involved in those technologies. Of course I will see things at a glance you wouldn't even be aware of. The difference between reading about something and working with something.
Look at the sky. That is light you see. That is energy and information packed in the flow of it. Live wires.
Ever use an infrared remote? Yes you have. Ever used a solar powered device. Yes you have. Those cross distances with no direct material connection. Voyager is sending telemetry, coded EM emissions, from the edge of the solar system. We are in contact with it. It's power is less than what a 50 bulb Christmas light mini-light string uses. Less than 25 watts. A long damned ways out there. That telemetry can be hooked up to drive devices of as much power as you can provide on this planet via electrical and magnetic means. Electrical leverage.
Trust me, there are objects up in that sky that produce much stronger bursts of EM energy than that simple little radio transmitter coded to our particular specifications. Every light you see up there, and emissions you don't see, are impacting you to some degree. Even if it is 13 billion years old. You are a transducer of that energy coupled with energy produced within you and emanating from this planet. You are part, at least every single tiny bit of atomic matter within you, of that vast circuitry. PERIOD. ABSOLUTE FACT.
Oh, and so is that Voyager that we designed. And those little molecules of EM info we as a species share that assembles us.
So, I am glad that being a slave to the universe and its workings does not bother you.
Ok dave. You are a wise sage who can intuitively understand the inner workings of the universe, and I am a poor simpleton. I already told you I'm tired of your nonsense. If you have something other than "trust me, I know" to back up your assertions, I would be glad to hear it. Otherwise, cut it out.

Location hidden

#139759 Nov 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery- wiki
Slavery predates written records and has existed in many cultures. The number of slaves today remains as high as 12 million to 27 million. Most are debt slaves, largely in South Asia, who are under debt bondage incurred by lenders, sometimes even for generations. Human trafficking is primarily used for forcing women and children into sex industries.
----------
Every continent in the world has had or participated in slavery going back before record keeping. You try to make it seem it originated with Gods people in the bible. The Jewish people themselves were slaves. A point you refuse to make because they don’t believe it. Saying there’s no evidence.
I guess not, you can’t see evidence if your wearing blinders. How convenient you choose to bring up the scripture that the Jews owned slaves. Painting God as if he is some kind of monster. Slavery was common place for much of world history.
Jewish slaves had a statue of limitations. Meaning a short duration of only 7 years. That’s probably the most lenient standard among all world slave holders. Other places it was slaves for life and never any freedom.
Even in the animal kingdom there are animals that enslave other species. Now don’t confuse me with taking the side of slavery. I’m just saying in world history it was a way of life and still is in some places.
You Atheist don’t bring up the fact that slavery is on going today. Nor do you wish to devote any effort in trying to eliminate it worldwide. This includes child slavery. A lot products that make it to the shelves of your hometown were made by slaves.
How astute of you to ignore this fact and paint the Jews and the Judeo Christian God as cruel and heartless. Just google "child slavery today," and see what comes up.
And why shouldn't a perfectly moral being base his teachings on the whims of us mere mortals?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139760 Nov 21, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
OK, that's where Redneck draws the line!

I love puss..... er... um.... I mean cats :)

Location hidden

#139761 Nov 21, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you will my good Doctor but you will fail to mention slavery of today. Instead you focus on the Judeo Christian God that set up a statue of limitations on a slave.
If slavery was really a issue with you and your fellow Atheist. You would say something and do something about modern slavery. But you don’t, it’s too much of a bother. It much more down your ally to talk about what happened 4000 years ago versus today.
You always like to skip over the part that Jews were slaves. Not just once but many times in history including in WWII. Another fact that seems to slip past you in your annotations. At least Doctor since you like to paint God as evil, at least be more objective and tell the whole story.
And you fail to realize that slavery today is a result of your god's will, assuming he exists.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#139762 Nov 21, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
My revenge is knowing you got a headache from the mental exercise.
You must agree, it's a fine poem.
toadmm

Masontown, PA

#139763 Nov 21, 2012
youtube.com/watch... ……………old Religon is still old and probally aint getting no younger

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#139764 Nov 21, 2012
No it's ok wiping after a BM is encouraged not disgusting.

The challenge is all about comfort you see and pages of the Quran wipe much better than the leading bible brand.

Muslims I am expecting your gratitude for this may I remind you. You lot owe me big time $$$ for helping you.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>G
Sorry Guru Nanak dev ji, I know I shouldn't have, but he made me laugh! Please forgive me!
I aint doing no challenge, that's disgusting!! ewwwww!!

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#139765 Nov 21, 2012
It was done to punish the people who killed Jesus, what you weren't pleased?

It was very OT after all. Yahweh would be pleased with Hitler probably gave him a special VIP section in heaven.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet you atheists love that.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#139766 Nov 21, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to read it because I don't believe the parts I have read. I believe you!!!
But Jesus was nice, I can't get that out of my head, how can 'his' book be like that? He didn't even write the bible, how can they say it's the word of God??
You do know that it was Jesus who brought us Hell. He didn't treat his mother very well, and is said to have cured a blind man. Why not simple cure blindness, he had the power to do so. How do you suppose the blind man 20 feet away felt when Jesus cured one sightless person and ignored him? I think Jesus was just a normal man who preached good will toward your fellow man. He was born as all men and died. The magic was inserted by the religious, for without Jesus's sacrifice, the whole house of Christian cards comes tumbling down. Christianity is based on human sacrifice. One man being sacrificed for the wrongs of all men. Do you realize how immoral the whole concept is? I murderer your child, but the guy down the street sacrifices himself to absolve me of the crime. How do you feel toward me now? I get to walk away, because of thus guys sacrifice. You cannot LIFT the responsibility of wrong doing off from someones shoulders, to even consider this is immoral. I alone am responsible for doing harm or wronging another person. I can't be absolved of the responsibility through another person actions. Each person takes responsibility for his or her actions. So, not only is Christianity based on human sacrifice, the idea that someone can absolve me of my responsibility is immoral.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 min woodtick57 21,119
A Universe from Nothing? 20 min u196533dm 461
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 49 min Rosa_Winkel 18,488
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 54 min Richardfs 3,830
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Patrick 10,047
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr One way or another 43,127
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 5 hr Eagle 12 463
News Why I quit atheism 7 hr Thinking 694
More from around the web