Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
134,121 - 134,140 of 226,389 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139520 Nov 20, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution?
Separate cells creating a larger entity?
Different cells for different purposes of a greater being? Even regulator cells to keep a balance.
Things like beehives and ant colonies? Individual units bound by some sort of mass mind? Even humans do some of that.
All of those are divisions of the same universal mass. Same planet, anyhow.
Pretty common.
Why do you find it such a leap?
And you think that any of these examples support the notion that the universe is conscious because we are conscious?

I'm getting kinda tired of this string of conversation. You seem to think that everyone else should be seeing these strange connections you make, and that since they are so "obvious," you needn't provide any evidence for them.

Also, I'm quite sure bees and ants do not have a "mass mind", at least in the traditional definition of the word mind. They just are good at communicating.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#139521 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
Thank you!
By the way, I'm in charge here so if you ever have any problems like bullying, stalking, dogs trying to hump your leg or anything else, just tell me and then I'll have a word with the 'guys' and they'll sort it all out! Ok?
Nice to have you on the forum, hope to hear more from you!!
:-)
Thanks. So, you're in charge like how? Mod of this thread or the whole forum?

Location hidden

#139522 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
I don't like abortion at all, but when the mother is dying and she needs to have an abortion, then I don't care how many months pregnant she is, save her before she dies!!
I'm a vegatarian but I don't think I could be vegan.
I like bacon and pepperoni too much to be a vegetarian.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139523 Nov 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never jumped off of anything with a rubber band strapped to my ankles, but it sounds fun.
lol, you scare me even more. I couldn't do it on my own, the first time I would have to have those expert people strapped to me, but before I do that I climbing the Eiffel tower!

Location hidden

#139524 Nov 20, 2012
I can tell it is getting to be winter. I just rubbed the cat up and down and placed him in a box with Styrofoam nuts. They all stuck to 'im.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139525 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you know everything about him. You atheists stick together.
Hitler was brought up Catholic, received the sacraments, had his birthday celebrated by a Mass, invoked God on numerous occasions. Where did you get the idea Hitler was an Atheist?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139526 Nov 20, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
In charge like the Queen of England.

Location hidden

#139527 Nov 20, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome!

Oh, Just on this thread, but I have had the experience of being in charge of the whole pakistan forum! That was a hard job, but someone had to do it!

I'm like the referee, I'm not against or on anyone's side! I'm going to start showing penalty cards soon!

Location hidden

#139528 Nov 20, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I have to choose a side? Are we getting married?
Of course, you have to take my side!

Only, if you want to!:-)
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139529 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you want God to have a mouth, hands, lungs, feet, etc so you can ridicule Him.
I ask again, why do you want God do have human attributes?
Why when the bible says that God breathed life into Adam does that mean (to you) that God MUST have a mouth & lungs?
I can show your God's immorality and evil nature without mentioning body parts.

How does one "Breath" without lungs? Are you saying we shouldn't take the words in the bible literally?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#139530 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you have to take my side!
Only, if you want to!:-)
Oh goody!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139531 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is the Bible like the koran? Sorry, I've never been tempted to read the Bible.
Redneck, do you have a good explanation for all that? Why is the Bible saying that?
He'll tell you that the word is SERVANT and that is different for the word SLAVE. However the condition remain, one human OWNING another. Give me a moment and I'll post the exact passage about God endorsing slavery.

Location hidden

#139532 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Hitler was brought up Catholic, received the sacraments, had his birthday celebrated by a Mass, invoked God on numerous occasions. Where did you get the idea Hitler was an Atheist?
It's better to be an empathetic atheist, than a heartless believer!!

Location hidden

#139533 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
You're welcome!
Oh, Just on this thread, but I have had the experience of being in charge of the whole pakistan forum! That was a hard job, but someone had to do it!
I'm like the referee, I'm not against or on anyone's side! I'm going to start showing penalty cards soon!
Cool beans.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139534 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is the Bible like the koran? Sorry, I've never been tempted to read the Bible.
Redneck, do you have a good explanation for all that? Why is the Bible saying that?

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Location hidden

#139535 Nov 20, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh goody!
But, I have to be honest with you, I was engaged to a poster before on pakistan forum, but it didn't work out. That left me heartbroken :'( and I'm worried about the same thing happening again. I don't know whether or not I should take the risk on us!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139536 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare,'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.(Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Location hidden

#139537 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
What the.....! But he said that's not christian law?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139538 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery, but slavery is still approved of in the New Testament, as the following passages show.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.(1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Location hidden

#139539 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare,'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.(Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)
I thank God that I was born in the sikh faith! and I thank God for giving me a brain to see what is right and wrong! AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ultimate Evidence of God 8 min CunningLinguist 65
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 8 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 8 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 9 hr CunningLinguist 39
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr CunningLinguist 427
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••