Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,703)

Showing posts 134,041 - 134,060 of223,260
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

ALL GLORY TO THE CROCODUCK!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, you see the difference, but you continue to insist that everyone is a hard atheist.
As far as I'm concerned, you can't be an atheist at all unless you BELIEVE there are no gods (not even one). It's not enough to not believe in God/gods, or we're going to have to call my cats atheists.

So that's what all atheists have in common: they see the universe as being deity-free. They are the opposite of theists, who think the universe includes a deity (or two, or three...).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, if I think that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby, I have faith that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby?
Yup. Now go find a stamp collecting thread & "prove" to the stamp collectors how stupid and wrong they all are.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I question people who I already understand because I want them to understand themselves.
I understood myself fine before you came along and started confusing me, lol.

Look, I wasn't forced into this belief, we aren't muslims or fanatic christians, I've even been an atheist for a while. I first read GGS and researched sikhi on my own and I then I chose to believe it. I don't listen to my mecca (golden temple), I read, try to understand and only follow the path set by GGS!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are pointing out that the "wiring is there" therefore we are being controlled by a deity. Sure, a deity is possible, but the fact that EM exists is certainly not proof for it. I'm sure if I believed in god, I could find all the proof I needed too.
You are part of a system. If you are intelligent, then the system is.

Timmy, those voices in your head.....?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
All of this is now obsolete. A rightly so. The Bible teaches us to respect the laws of the land. The laws of slavery has since changed, for the better. I'm sure God is happy about that.
What if laws changed to favor rights for gay people in marriage? Would that be cool with God?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, I wasn't forced into this belief, we aren't muslims or fanatic christians, I've even been an atheist for a while. I first read GGS and researched sikhi on my own and I then I chose to believe it. I don't listen to my mecca (golden temple), I read, try to understand and only follow the path set by GGS!
Hold on there! Don't confuse Muslims & fanatic Christians. They are wholly different. Nobody is forced to be Christian, nobody. It's all a personal choice.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

So you're saying that you think that people should "look at God scientifically", but you can't offer a way to do that?
Then how do you know that it can be done?
Clementia wrote:
Because I have faith in science!
Can fictional characters be looked at scientifically?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
What if laws changed to favor rights for gay people in marriage? Would that be cool with God?
No that's different. God made man to be with woman. That's totally different than slavery laws.

It's like if the laws changed so that murder is legal. God still wouldn't condone it. You could justly get away with it from your country, but you'll pay the price later...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't "tell you how to buy slaves", as numnuts puts it. In modern times, slavery is generally considered a “bad thing”. Historically speaking, on the other hand, in first-century Rome, in the Bible and the United States of America, it was usually considered a quite "good thing" (except possibly by the slaves).
The scripture he's fond of quoting clearly says servants, not "slaves". While easily translated as "slavery", it was more like getting someone to come work for you for free... oh, wait, that is "slavery" ;)
The New Testament makes no condemnation of slave ownership but does have advice for Christian slaves and also regulates how Christian slave owners should treat the slaves they own.
All of this is now obsolete. A rightly so. The Bible teaches us to respect the laws of the land. The laws of slavery has since changed, for the better. I'm sure God is happy about that.
OMG, so the Bible did say it, but to fit in with modern thinking you ignore it? huh? How can you pick and choose which bits to follow? Is the Bible not all true then?

Why would God not condemn keeping slaves?

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?
Aura Mytha wrote:
Simply put , she chose to believe.
And I asked why that choice was made.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
you read my mind!

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Why not just see *yourself* in all, so that you try not to hurt anyone, because if you hurt them, you hurt yourself?
It's called "empathy".
It doesn't require belief in a god.
Clementia wrote:
I see God in all because I see no difference between me and them, But I only see no difference between me and them, becuase I see God in them.
I do see myself in them, I see the same God within me, within you!
Then why do you need the "God" piece? Why not simply see yourself in others? Why does that require a "God"?
Clementia wrote:
Some people like hurting themselves, so then they will hurt other people because they'll think they're hurting themselves!
And some people will believe that their god wants them to hurt others.

There will always be mentally ill people.

Does that justify belief in a god?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

How so? Hitler was a catholic all his life and led a mainly protestant country.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you know everything about him. You atheists stick together.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Atheism requires faith as much as not collecting stamps requires stamps.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Now go find a stamp collecting thread & "prove" to the stamp collectors how stupid and wrong they all are.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

I question people who I already understand because I want them to understand themselves.
Clementia wrote:
If you already understood yourself, how did you become confused?
Clementia wrote:
I wasn't forced into this belief
Did I say that you were?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

If it walks like a duck...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on there! Don't confuse Muslims & fanatic Christians. They are wholly different. Nobody is forced to be Christian, nobody. It's all a personal choice.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

No. You can't debate because you're a fuckwit.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"look at THE tsunami"?! WTF?
What famines?
What poor in general?
Be specific, I can't debate you if you speak in such generalistic terms...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, so the Bible did say it, but to fit in with modern thinking you ignore it? huh? How can you pick and choose which bits to follow? Is the Bible not all true then?
Why would God not condemn keeping slaves?
The laws in Leviticus were originally written for the Levites. In fact, "Leviticus" comes from Greek which means "relating to Levites".

I'm not sure why it was decided to leve it in the bible. Maybe for historical preservation? I don't know.

But I do know that it's a historical record of Levite laws, NOT Christian laws.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 134,041 - 134,060 of223,260
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••