Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
134,021 - 134,040 of 224,113 Comments Last updated 26 min ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?
<quoted text>
You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?
Simply put , she chose to believe.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
How does it do that?
I see him in all, so I try not to hurt anyone, because if I hurt them, I hurt my God/Guru, Then if my God/Guru is in pain, I'm in pain, because I love my God/Guru and I can't see it in pain.

Do you not read any of my other posts about sikhi?

Kabeer, repeating, ""You, You"", I have become like You. Nothing of me remains in myself.
When the difference between myself and others is removed, then wherever I look, I see only You.||204||

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?
<quoted text>
You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?
I do agree, I was messing with you. I agree that my God causes random quantum fluctuations!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah... I see you've misread Leviticus.
We all can read what your immoral holy book has to say, its you that insists on interpreting it to eliminate these immoralities. You just can't accept it can you. You and I have gone over this before and calling slaves SERVANTS doesn't change the FACT that the bible tells you how to BUY slaves, how to MARK them as your property, how badly you may BEAT them, and how keeping loved ones hostage forces you to remain a slave. When one person OWNES another, it's called SLAVERY.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Simply put , she chose to believe.
Are you taking my side or his?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
Since many (perhaps even most) atheists were once religious people, we understand religious people quite well.
<quoted text>
Really? You think that it's impossible to question someone's belief if you understand the person?
Why is that?
Look, I understand atheists so I don't say to them, why don't you believe in God? My atheist freinds understand me, so they never tell me to stop believing in my God or interrogate me the way you do. I don't understand muslims, so I question them. I don't understand fanatic christians who go around converting people, so I question them. I don't question something I understand.

Ooops, when I say understand do I actually mean agree with? You've confused me, now I have no idea what I'm talking about!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>We all can read what your immoral holy book has to say, its you that insists on interpreting it to eliminate these immoralities. You just can't accept it can you. You and I have gone over this before and calling slaves SERVANTS doesn't change the FACT that the bible tells you how to BUY slaves, how to MARK them as your property, how badly you may BEAT them, and how keeping loved ones hostage forces you to remain a slave. When one person OWNES another, it's called SLAVERY.
Really? Is the Bible like the koran? Sorry, I've never been tempted to read the Bible.

Redneck, do you have a good explanation for all that? Why is the Bible saying that?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
Hitler was also very popular once.
<quoted text>
lllol!

Normally all bad people were and are!

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

How does it do that?
Clementia wrote:
I see him in all, so I try not to hurt anyone, because if I hurt them, I hurt my God/Guru, Then if my God/Guru is in pain, I'm in pain, because I love my God/Guru and I can't see it in pain.
Why not just see *yourself* in all, so that you try not to hurt anyone, because if you hurt them, you hurt yourself?

It's called "empathy".

It doesn't require belief in a god.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
I don't question something I understand.
I question people who I already understand because I want them to understand themselves.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Timmy, me boy, you have this old man a bit confused.
I thought you came on here as an atheist, believing science disproves any deity or supernatural force. What I am presenting IS "scientific" fact. You are literally part of the wiring, figuratively speaking, of the entire universe. That EM and gravity goes everywhere and through everything, and deals with those nuclear forces, pushing them around, actually. So, as the universe goes, you are going to follow. You can't be intelligent unless the universe is.
You say the natural laws are absolute, yet for some reason, you don't believe you or other humans have to follow them. Oh, those galaxies out there have to, but you don't. That appears some supernatural force in us and yourself exists. Or some sort of special privilege.
I can't say you are being hypocritical, but confused in your beliefs may be indicated. But you aren't alone. There are several "atheists" on here believing they are above the natural laws they claim created us. Then they get on here and brazenly sneer at those that believe in a supernatural force. On an international forum for everyone to read. Of course, they hide behind false names. Good reason.
What are you talking about? You think that because a planet is beholden to gravity, that we are beholden to EM, because we have iron in our blood? I never said that I wasn't a part of the universe, but that does not mean that the forces of the universe have a literal control over me. Yes, I am restrained in what I can do and see, but that doesn't me that we are literally remote controlled by some higher power. You are making connections that aren't there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
Tell you what: Tell us how one would go about looking at God "scientifically". I think we'll quickly come to the answer to your question.
<quoted text>
So you're saying that you think that people should "look at God scientifically", but you can't offer a way to do that?
Then how do you know that it can be done?
Because I have faith in science!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, that's easy.
I do see the difference.
Next.
So, you see the difference, but you continue to insist that everyone is a hard atheist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wouldn't be so fearful of the word "faith", you'd understand.
Atheists have faith in their opinion that there is no god.
Done.
Since it's not fact, it's belief, or faith...
So, if I think that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby, I have faith that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I question people who I already understand because I want them to understand themselves.
LOL!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about? You think that because a planet is beholden to gravity, that we are beholden to EM, because we have iron in our blood? I never said that I wasn't a part of the universe, but that does not mean that the forces of the universe have a literal control over me. Yes, I am restrained in what I can do and see, but that doesn't me that we are literally remote controlled by some higher power. You are making connections that aren't there.
Relax, relax.

I am just pointing out the wiring is there. Really.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>We all can read what your immoral holy book has to say, its you that insists on interpreting it to eliminate these immoralities. You just can't accept it can you. You and I have gone over this before and calling slaves SERVANTS doesn't change the FACT that the bible tells you how to BUY slaves, how to MARK them as your property, how badly you may BEAT them, and how keeping loved ones hostage forces you to remain a slave. When one person OWNES another, it's called SLAVERY.
Wait. The Bible tells *me* how to buy slaves?! Are you certain?

You wanna argue the invalidity of the Bible because it says that water has a face?

Moronic child.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
How does it do that?
<quoted text>
Why not just see *yourself* in all, so that you try not to hurt anyone, because if you hurt them, you hurt yourself?
It's called "empathy".
It doesn't require belief in a god.
I see God in all because I see no difference between me and them, But I only see no difference between me and them, becuase I see God in them.

I do see myself in them, I see the same God within me, within you!

Some people like hurting themselves, so then they will hurt other people because they'll think they're hurting themselves! Isn't it called sadomasochism?

Well maybe I don't have empathy then, but that's just how I see things.

You sound like one of those nutty christians trying to convert me!They ask too many questions too!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax, relax.
I am just pointing out the wiring is there. Really.
You are pointing out that the "wiring is there" therefore we are being controlled by a deity. Sure, a deity is possible, but the fact that EM exists is certainly not proof for it. I'm sure if I believed in god, I could find all the proof I needed too.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is the Bible like the koran? Sorry, I've never been tempted to read the Bible.
Redneck, do you have a good explanation for all that? Why is the Bible saying that?
The bible doesn't "tell you how to buy slaves", as numnuts puts it. In modern times, slavery is generally considered a “bad thing”. Historically speaking, on the other hand, in first-century Rome, in the Bible and the United States of America, it was usually considered a quite "good thing" (except possibly by the slaves).

The scripture he's fond of quoting clearly says servants, not "slaves". While easily translated as "slavery", it was more like getting someone to come work for you for free... oh, wait, that is "slavery" ;)

The New Testament makes no condemnation of slave ownership but does have advice for Christian slaves and also regulates how Christian slave owners should treat the slaves they own.

All of this is now obsolete. A rightly so. The Bible teaches us to respect the laws of the land. The laws of slavery has since changed, for the better. I'm sure God is happy about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 min Richardfs 202
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 26 min Buck Crick 21,387
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 1 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 4 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 4 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 18 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 23 hr Patrick 16
•••
•••