Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
134,001 - 134,020 of 226,505 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#139399 Nov 20, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats not a bad idea. Why act as if you dont exist? An impersonal god that creates the universe then sits back and does jack, is not a being requiring worship. An iron age despot would require his subjects to grovel in the dirt for mercy? Hmm I wonder why the god of the bible is like that?
God doesn't act like He doesn't exist. You simply refuse to see Him.

Location hidden

#139400 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Looking at the demographics, it's mainly religious people suffering.
<quoted text>
*looking*

Nope. I see a bunch of non religious people suffering....

That is mostly by choice, you know?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#139401 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
Worshiping my God helps me to be a better person.
How does it do that?

Tampa, FL

#139402 Nov 20, 2012
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?
Clementia wrote:
because i have a choice not to!
You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?

Location hidden

#139403 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics to Christians is the same as carrot is to vegetable. Celery is a different name than carrot but both fare still vegetables. Why is it overtime I post you i feel like I'm dealing with a 12 years old. YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN. Avoid it all you want, but you are classified by everyone else on the planet as a CHRISTIAN. Learn to deal with it. I know it's difficult but do give it a try!!!!
hmph...

No shit I'm a Christian. I've said that like 100 times...

Thanks for the clarity.

I am not a catholic, though...

Location hidden

#139404 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't "Want" God to have anything, I'm just going by how your God is described in your holy book, and by the way other Christians, and that includes Catholics, describe him to me.
Yes, you want God to have a mouth, hands, lungs, feet, etc so you can ridicule Him.

I ask again, why do you want God do have human attributes?

Why when the bible says that God breathed life into Adam does that mean (to you) that God MUST have a mouth & lungs?

Tampa, FL

#139405 Nov 20, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
If the the most influential body of scientists that are backing atheism, backing the view that God does not exist.
Science doesn't make any claims as to whether or not a god exists. I have yet to see a peer-reviewed scientific research paper in any biology, chemistry, or physics journal that makes the claim that a god does not exist.
bossdrop wrote:
You atheists really only consider evolutionary biologists the only source of credibility on evolutionary theories.
The same could be said for those theists who accept evolutionary theory, too. For instance, the nearly 13,000 U.S. Christian clergy who have signed onto the Clergy Letter Project.

Tampa, FL

#139406 Nov 20, 2012
Since many (perhaps even most) atheists were once religious people, we understand religious people quite well.
Clementia wrote:
You don't understand me, that's why you question my belief!
Really? You think that it's impossible to question someone's belief if you understand the person?

Why is that?

Location hidden

#139407 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, why can you not see the distinction between so called "hard atheism" and "soft atheism?" It has been explained to you many times. Does it make you feel better to think that we would be christians if we didn't "believe" so strongly in atheism?
Oh, that's easy.

I do see the difference.

Next.

Tampa, FL

#139408 Nov 20, 2012
Tell you what: Tell us how one would go about looking at God "scientifically". I think we'll quickly come to the answer to your question.
Clementia wrote:
Well, only science can tell us that!
So you're saying that you think that people should "look at God scientifically", but you can't offer a way to do that?

Then how do you know that it can be done?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#139409 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the atheism DEBATE forum.
Yes, atheism DOES require faith.
Atheism, as in, the lack of belief, does not require faith.

There are other definitions of atheism, but there is no definition of atheism that requires faith.(unless you make one up)

Here's your chance, Ar Ar. Do your best. I've decided to make this issue important, so if you fail, I'm gonna taunt you about it until I get bored. You can always bow out now.

?????

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#139410 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not understand that I was joking with you?
I know we can't do everything! I wish I could fly but it's never going to happen, I'm scared of heights! lol
I know, but that was an opportunity for me to tell you about myself.

I'm scared of heights too, but I like that fear. I like roller coaster rides. Do you?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139412 Nov 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There will always be arguments, and that's okay.
I understand the theistic perspective very well. Many of the other atheists on Topix do too. Understanding and agreeing are very different things though.
I like how you seek to join instead of divide. That's worth a lot to me.
:)
NO! There will be no arguments! You better listen to me or do you want this to turn into an argument? If so, bring it on! lol :-)

I believe we can stop the arguments and have intellectual discussions instead, but that is only possible if people want to.

Well, that's what my faith teaches me;

Some are Hindus and others are Muslims; someone is raafjee (follower of Ali); others are Imam-Shafi (adherents of the Prophet); Recognize the whole of the human race as one(dasam granth).

The temple and the mosque are the same, there is no difference between a Hindu worship and Muslim prayer; all the human beings are the same, although they may appear to be different (dasam granth).

You have to understand that every person on this planet has their own mind, this means they will all have thier own views. Even if the whole world followed one religion or if everyone became atheists, there will still be wars. People of the same faith fight with eachother and even scientists argue with eachother, whether they're religious or atheists. The only people on this earth, who do not want to fight or argue are the saints, they just want to live in peace with everyone, but nobody wants to live in peace with them, then they have to fight!

Thanks!:-)
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139413 Nov 20, 2012
Hitler was also very popular once.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And the best selling & highest produced book of all time.
ahhh.........
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139414 Nov 20, 2012
Wrong. Look at the Tsunami. Look at the famines. Look at the poor in general.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*looking*
Nope. I see a bunch of non religious people suffering....
That is mostly by choice, you know?

Location hidden

#139415 Nov 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism, as in, the lack of belief, does not require faith.
There are other definitions of atheism, but there is no definition of atheism that requires faith.(unless you make one up)
Here's your chance, Ar Ar. Do your best. I've decided to make this issue important, so if you fail, I'm gonna taunt you about it until I get bored. You can always bow out now.
?????
If you wouldn't be so fearful of the word "faith", you'd understand.

Atheists have faith in their opinion that there is no god.

Done.

Since it's not fact, it's belief, or faith...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139416 Nov 20, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, but that was an opportunity for me to tell you about myself.
I'm scared of heights too, but I like that fear. I like roller coaster rides. Do you?
Oh, ok! Thanks!

OMG, I always think my heart is going to stay up when the ride goes down, if you get what i'm saying? yh, i love rides, the carousel ride is my favourite, lol! Roller coaster rides are more bloody scary after watching final destination! Those films are f...aaaahhhhhhhhhhh, I can't even swear before i blumin scream. lol.

I really want to do a bungy jump! OMG i'm scared already! lol

Location hidden

#139417 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Hitler was also very popular once.
<quoted text>
I'm sure you know everything about him. You atheists stick together.

Location hidden

#139418 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Wrong. Look at the Tsunami. Look at the famines. Look at the poor in general.
<quoted text>
"look at THE tsunami"?! WTF?

What famines?

What poor in general?

Be specific, I can't debate you if you speak in such generalistic terms...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#139419 Nov 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?
<quoted text>
You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?
Simply put , she chose to believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 15 min Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 20 min Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 38 min Dak-Original 21,516
The myth of the angry atheist 2 hr Thinking 2
The Ultimate Evidence of God 2 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••