Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244753 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#139434 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about? You think that because a planet is beholden to gravity, that we are beholden to EM, because we have iron in our blood? I never said that I wasn't a part of the universe, but that does not mean that the forces of the universe have a literal control over me. Yes, I am restrained in what I can do and see, but that doesn't me that we are literally remote controlled by some higher power. You are making connections that aren't there.
Relax, relax.

I am just pointing out the wiring is there. Really.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#139435 Nov 20, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>We all can read what your immoral holy book has to say, its you that insists on interpreting it to eliminate these immoralities. You just can't accept it can you. You and I have gone over this before and calling slaves SERVANTS doesn't change the FACT that the bible tells you how to BUY slaves, how to MARK them as your property, how badly you may BEAT them, and how keeping loved ones hostage forces you to remain a slave. When one person OWNES another, it's called SLAVERY.
Wait. The Bible tells *me* how to buy slaves?! Are you certain?

You wanna argue the invalidity of the Bible because it says that water has a face?

Moronic child.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139436 Nov 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
How does it do that?
<quoted text>
Why not just see *yourself* in all, so that you try not to hurt anyone, because if you hurt them, you hurt yourself?
It's called "empathy".
It doesn't require belief in a god.
I see God in all because I see no difference between me and them, But I only see no difference between me and them, becuase I see God in them.

I do see myself in them, I see the same God within me, within you!

Some people like hurting themselves, so then they will hurt other people because they'll think they're hurting themselves! Isn't it called sadomasochism?

Well maybe I don't have empathy then, but that's just how I see things.

You sound like one of those nutty christians trying to convert me!They ask too many questions too!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139437 Nov 20, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Relax, relax.
I am just pointing out the wiring is there. Really.
You are pointing out that the "wiring is there" therefore we are being controlled by a deity. Sure, a deity is possible, but the fact that EM exists is certainly not proof for it. I'm sure if I believed in god, I could find all the proof I needed too.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139438 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is the Bible like the koran? Sorry, I've never been tempted to read the Bible.
Redneck, do you have a good explanation for all that? Why is the Bible saying that?
The bible doesn't "tell you how to buy slaves", as numnuts puts it. In modern times, slavery is generally considered a “bad thing”. Historically speaking, on the other hand, in first-century Rome, in the Bible and the United States of America, it was usually considered a quite "good thing" (except possibly by the slaves).

The scripture he's fond of quoting clearly says servants, not "slaves". While easily translated as "slavery", it was more like getting someone to come work for you for free... oh, wait, that is "slavery" ;)

The New Testament makes no condemnation of slave ownership but does have advice for Christian slaves and also regulates how Christian slave owners should treat the slaves they own.

All of this is now obsolete. A rightly so. The Bible teaches us to respect the laws of the land. The laws of slavery has since changed, for the better. I'm sure God is happy about that.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#139439 Nov 20, 2012
ALL GLORY TO THE CROCODUCK!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139440 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, you see the difference, but you continue to insist that everyone is a hard atheist.
As far as I'm concerned, you can't be an atheist at all unless you BELIEVE there are no gods (not even one). It's not enough to not believe in God/gods, or we're going to have to call my cats atheists.

So that's what all atheists have in common: they see the universe as being deity-free. They are the opposite of theists, who think the universe includes a deity (or two, or three...).

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139441 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, if I think that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby, I have faith that collecting stamps is a dumb hobby?
Yup. Now go find a stamp collecting thread & "prove" to the stamp collectors how stupid and wrong they all are.

Location hidden

#139442 Nov 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I question people who I already understand because I want them to understand themselves.
I understood myself fine before you came along and started confusing me, lol.

Look, I wasn't forced into this belief, we aren't muslims or fanatic christians, I've even been an atheist for a while. I first read GGS and researched sikhi on my own and I then I chose to believe it. I don't listen to my mecca (golden temple), I read, try to understand and only follow the path set by GGS!

Westcliffe, CO

#139443 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are pointing out that the "wiring is there" therefore we are being controlled by a deity. Sure, a deity is possible, but the fact that EM exists is certainly not proof for it. I'm sure if I believed in god, I could find all the proof I needed too.
You are part of a system. If you are intelligent, then the system is.

Timmy, those voices in your head.....?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#139444 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All of this is now obsolete. A rightly so. The Bible teaches us to respect the laws of the land. The laws of slavery has since changed, for the better. I'm sure God is happy about that.
What if laws changed to favor rights for gay people in marriage? Would that be cool with God?

Westcliffe, CO

#139445 Nov 20, 2012

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139446 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I understood myself fine before you came along and started confusing me, lol.
Look, I wasn't forced into this belief, we aren't muslims or fanatic christians, I've even been an atheist for a while. I first read GGS and researched sikhi on my own and I then I chose to believe it. I don't listen to my mecca (golden temple), I read, try to understand and only follow the path set by GGS!
Hold on there! Don't confuse Muslims & fanatic Christians. They are wholly different. Nobody is forced to be Christian, nobody. It's all a personal choice.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#139447 Nov 20, 2012
So you're saying that you think that people should "look at God scientifically", but you can't offer a way to do that?
Then how do you know that it can be done?
Clementia wrote:
Because I have faith in science!
Can fictional characters be looked at scientifically?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#139448 Nov 20, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
What if laws changed to favor rights for gay people in marriage? Would that be cool with God?
No that's different. God made man to be with woman. That's totally different than slavery laws.

It's like if the laws changed so that murder is legal. God still wouldn't condone it. You could justly get away with it from your country, but you'll pay the price later...

Location hidden

#139449 Nov 20, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't "tell you how to buy slaves", as numnuts puts it. In modern times, slavery is generally considered a “bad thing”. Historically speaking, on the other hand, in first-century Rome, in the Bible and the United States of America, it was usually considered a quite "good thing" (except possibly by the slaves).
The scripture he's fond of quoting clearly says servants, not "slaves". While easily translated as "slavery", it was more like getting someone to come work for you for free... oh, wait, that is "slavery" ;)
The New Testament makes no condemnation of slave ownership but does have advice for Christian slaves and also regulates how Christian slave owners should treat the slaves they own.
OMG, so the Bible did say it, but to fit in with modern thinking you ignore it? huh? How can you pick and choose which bits to follow? Is the Bible not all true then?

Why would God not condemn keeping slaves?

Tampa, FL

#139450 Nov 20, 2012
You don't have reasons for your choices? Are your choices random?
Aura Mytha wrote:
Simply put , she chose to believe.
And I asked why that choice was made.

Location hidden

#139451 Nov 20, 2012
Croco_Duck wrote:
<quoted text>
you read my mind!

Tampa, FL

#139452 Nov 20, 2012
Why not just see *yourself* in all, so that you try not to hurt anyone, because if you hurt them, you hurt yourself?
It's called "empathy".
It doesn't require belief in a god.
Clementia wrote:
I see God in all because I see no difference between me and them, But I only see no difference between me and them, becuase I see God in them.
I do see myself in them, I see the same God within me, within you!
Then why do you need the "God" piece? Why not simply see yourself in others? Why does that require a "God"?
Clementia wrote:
Some people like hurting themselves, so then they will hurt other people because they'll think they're hurting themselves!
And some people will believe that their god wants them to hurt others.

There will always be mentally ill people.

Does that justify belief in a god?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139453 Nov 20, 2012
How so? Hitler was a catholic all his life and led a mainly protestant country.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you know everything about him. You atheists stick together.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min Eagle 12 10,681
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min ChristineM 20,521
Santa vs. God: logic? 59 min Shizle 2
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 4 hr Shizle 11
Is the Christian god good? 5 hr Shizle 4
Atheist believe, they are just hiding!!! 23 hr Richardfs 18
There is no meaning without God Tue Shizle 3
More from around the web