Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
133,961 - 133,980 of 226,285 Comments Last updated 9 min ago

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#139359 Nov 20, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I did give you the heads up about our beloved nob gobbler.
21Nov12.....

....den, why is your head always down on 'dimKing'???

Ps:...'christineM'....da seepageQueen....sant to da tune of Abba's dancingQueen.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#139360 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
21Nov12.....

.....then why did you spend so much time down at the BBC with Sevile and Glitter!!!!!!!!

Ps:....Did you do presentations on 'ELMO' as well???

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139361 Nov 20, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are.
It's magnetic current, a name for the basic energy flow, not "magnets". You have to get past thinking in "things", and into processes.
That energy flow and how it makes "matter", and how it is a closed system is revealed in your BBT. You are part of the circuitry. Like it or not.
Even if it was a singularity, the injection of energy from the BB started an energy flow, and thus a polarity, leading and trailing ends of that flow. If it is a closed container.
Look up spherical capacitor. This planet is one. Atoms are, too. Think. Make some connections.
You might understand if you get older. Your energy level will drop and you will feel more of the forces of the universe. Right now you are a young puppy bouncing around, oblivious to everything.
Don't you just hate that?
I'm curious if others have noticed this, but for many years I can feel the perihelion approach. There is even a bit of motion sickness before. Things get heavy. A few days afterwards and everything lightens up. There is more to it than just decreasing sunlight. There is a change in orbital speed and gravity.
Yes, dave, I know that you're talking about magnetic currents. I say things like "god of the magnets" to mess with you. All your nonsensical pontificating about electricity does not prove, or even suggest, that we are being "controlled" by the EM force. The presence of a magnetic element in our blood does not mean that we are at the whim of the EM force.

But anyways, this is a pointless conversation. You are the most enlightened man on the planet, you know the secret of the universe, and you are too laid back to tell anyone but a few people on topix. Got it.

Location hidden

#139362 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Well if the cap fits... oh sorry, you're a catholtard.
<quoted text>
21Nov12.....

.....Explain to ALL da posters how you managed to get your hand off of yer pencilDick 'after' covering it with Superglue.

Ps:....Dat otta cause everyVone ta schidt demselves.

Right,'Doublefine'.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#139363 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Yet your god chooses to kill Americans (37th place for life expectancy by country) before the Japanese (numero uno)... is it because you've been a bad little nob gobbler?
<quoted text>
21Nov12....

.....and in vot place are you 'cockneys'???

Ps:....You are a 'cockNey', aren't you 'dimKing'.
Ya never got outside da sound of da bells.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#139364 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. I don't understand what the trolls get out of spewing bile all day. It's sad. If they wanted to be a good representative of their faith, they would behave like a human being and not an angry, delusional 12 year old.
21Nov12.....

...Both yourself 'timfulFear' and yer udder buddy 'sidingDumbPhew' checkUp your own postings 'Including This One'.

You remain a hateful, hypocritical, hAtheist. You ALL are tooooo.

Ps:....You are fulla schidt to da eyeballs.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#139365 Nov 20, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>because i have a choice not to!
Even if it goes against the evidence?
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#139366 Nov 20, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
(...) And as I showed you yesterday, this body of scientists are under the most assault with the threat of losing their jobs because of so limited institutions and places of employment, reason they tow the line of "No God", what do you think will become of "peer review"??...huh?
I assume you're talking about the article concerning the man that got fired for not wanting to do his job?

From your link:

"In a 2004 letter to Abraham, his boss, Woods Hole senior scien tist Mark E. Hahn, wrote that Abraham said he did not want to work on "evolutionary aspects" of the National Institutes of Health grant for which he was hired, even though the project clearly required scientists to use the principles of evolution in their analyses and writing."

In my opinion this is sort of the equivalent of a vegetarian getting a job frying burgers at McDonalds and then refusing to fry burgers because he thinks that's wrong. If that's what he believes, that's fine, and I have far more respect for vegetarians than for creationist, but he shouldn't be surprised if he loses his job...
You atheists really only consider evolutionary biologists the only source of credibility on evolutionary theories. Any other scientists that criticize your beliefs are "not real" scientists or not relevant critiques you all say. So if there is peer review among a body of scientists where many are only trying to keep their jobs to pay their bills, the result of those peer reviews pretty much will result in group think.
That's a generalisation and one that certainly isn't true in my case. Anyone, scientist or not, is free to criticise evolution. I am however free to look at the evidence they present and accept or dismiss it based on it's scientific value. And yes, I will be more critical of people that aren't scientists or have never studied biology.

I think that's fair though, I mean if you had heart problems who would you trust, your doctor or Kirk Cameron?
The result: simpletons like you therefore can cling maniacally to an absurd belief system and throw up the defense anytime...'evolutionary biological scientists agree no God...so there must be no God'.
Your religion has been figured out, the scheme is up.
The theory of evolution is neither a religion nor a belief, it is a scientific theory.

Now, before you gleefully point out that it's just a theory and not a fact you should know that theory in science means as much as explanation.

The theory of evolution is an explanation Darwin came up with about the origin of different species. In the more than 150 years that have passed since it was proposed it has been refined and tested over and over again and all the evidence that has been uncovered since, from transitional fossils like Tiktaalik to DNA sequencing, supports it.

If you want intelligent design to be treated with the same respect as the theory of evolution you should stop attacking Darwin and propose a falsifiable scientific theory for ID. This theory must then be tested by scientists, supported by empirical evidence and appear in a few peer-reviewed magazines. If, and that's a big if, you manage all that without your theory being disproven, we can talk about how Darwin was wrong and ID was right all along.

There's a rhyme and reason to the scientific process and you don't get to cut corners by dragging god into it.

Location hidden

#139367 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Seems like we may have struck upon a paradox. Could an all knowing being create something that it couldn't know?
21Nov12....

.....sorta 'can GOD make a rock so heavy that even He cannot lift it'.....

Ps:...Thou shalt NOT tempt the Lord thy GOD.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#139368 Nov 20, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-relation...
I don't think you truly grasp the physical realities of quantum mechanics.
You are confusing problems with observing with the actual physical goings on.
Your "randomness" is "magic". POOF!!! Or it is mathematical fudge factors for incorrect observation and interpretation.
Randomness is not magic, random itself is predictably random, and easily explained and understood. Magic cannot be explained, nor understood, nor tested because it's not real, like all your myths, it's just a scary story.

Location hidden

#139369 Nov 20, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
A sikh eh?...met a lot of sikhs in my travels in Asia. In fact, quite a few work for a marketing firm I have contractswith. You guys are nice people :) Look, I will be the first to tell you, I don't like the Christian Religion either. Religion cannot make someone know Jesus Christ. The Christian Religion, have done many evil things throughout history. I think its Gandhi that said he has no problemwith Jesus, its Christians he don't like or something like that. I would agree. Just because someone says they are a Christian, does not mean they know Jesus Christ. and if they do not have a personal relationshipwith Jesus Christ, then all they have is a religion. As far as the teachings on hell... It comes down to this. Do you believe God is Omnipotent? If you say yes, then you must ask yourself, why would it be too hard for God to have His creation mankind document in a book exactly what He GoD wanted us to know. And would it be too hard for God to have mankind choose the books of the bible that is authentic to God's knowledge to us mankind. If you say that would not be too hard for an Omnipotent God, and I agree that would not be too hard for God...then why would you not believe the teachings about Hell? And if you say, that would be too hard for God and you're still skeptical of whats in the bible...then you have to conclude, God is not Omnipotent. And if you conclude God is not Omnipotent, then you must conclude there is no God. Because by definition, God has to be Omnipotent. I believe God is Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent. So although there are many teachings and accounts in the bible that I may not agreewith, to me they are authentic. But unfortunately, Christians do wield hell like a hammer. Sorry to say I have done it in the pass as well. But hell is not to be wielded like a hammer. It does nothing to bring people to Christ and in fact may make people more resistant to the teachings of Christ.
21Nov12.....

.....Do NOT listen to dis schidt-for-brains 'bossDroppings', Clementia. You have more common sense den this eeejit has.

Ps:'bossDroppings' is fulla schidt to da eyeballs.

..and den sum tooooooooooo.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139370 Nov 20, 2012
I have a choice to say today isn't Tuesday, but, here in England, at time of writing, it's generally accepted that it is indeed Tuesday.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
because i have a choice not to!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#139371 Nov 20, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, dave, I know that you're talking about magnetic currents. I say things like "god of the magnets" to mess with you. All your nonsensical pontificating about electricity does not prove, or even suggest, that we are being "controlled" by the EM force. The presence of a magnetic element in our blood does not mean that we are at the whim of the EM force.
But anyways, this is a pointless conversation. You are the most enlightened man on the planet, you know the secret of the universe, and you are too laid back to tell anyone but a few people on topix. Got it.
:-)

Timmy, me boy, you have this old man a bit confused.

I thought you came on here as an atheist, believing science disproves any deity or supernatural force. What I am presenting IS "scientific" fact. You are literally part of the wiring, figuratively speaking, of the entire universe. That EM and gravity goes everywhere and through everything, and deals with those nuclear forces, pushing them around, actually. So, as the universe goes, you are going to follow. You can't be intelligent unless the universe is.

You say the natural laws are absolute, yet for some reason, you don't believe you or other humans have to follow them. Oh, those galaxies out there have to, but you don't. That appears some supernatural force in us and yourself exists. Or some sort of special privilege.

I can't say you are being hypocritical, but confused in your beliefs may be indicated. But you aren't alone. There are several "atheists" on here believing they are above the natural laws they claim created us. Then they get on here and brazenly sneer at those that believe in a supernatural force. On an international forum for everyone to read. Of course, they hide behind false names. Good reason.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#139372 Nov 20, 2012
bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>A sikh eh?...met a lot of sikhs in my travels in Asia. In fact, quite a few work for a marketing firm I have contracts with. You guys are nice people :)
Look, I will be the first to tell you, I don't like the Christian Religion either. Religion cannot make someone know Jesus Christ. The Christian Religion, have done many evil things throughout history. I think its Gandhi that said he has no problem with Jesus, its Christians he don't like or something like that. I would agree.
Just because someone says they are a Christian, does not mean they know Jesus Christ. and if they do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, then all they have is a religion.
As far as the teachings on hell..<shrughs>. It comes down to this. Do you believe God is Omnipotent? If you say yes, then you must ask yourself, why would it be too hard for God to have His creation mankind document in a book exactly what He GoD wanted us to know. And would it be too hard for God to have mankind choose the books of the bible that is authentic to God's knowledge to us mankind.
If you say that would not be too hard for an Omnipotent God, and I agree that would not be too hard for God...then why would you not believe the teachings about Hell?
And if you say, that would be too hard for God and you're still skeptical of whats in the bible...then you have to conclude, God is not Omnipotent. And if you conclude God is not Omnipotent, then you must conclude there is no God. Because by definition, God has to be Omnipotent.
I believe God is Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent. So although there are many teachings and accounts in the bible that I may not agree with, to me they are authentic.
But unfortunately, Christians do wield hell like a hammer. Sorry to say I have done it in the pass as well. But hell is not to be wielded like a hammer. It does nothing to bring people to Christ and in fact may make people more resistant to the teachings of Christ.
I think generally most people who call themselves sikhs are very nice. It's very hard to deny historical evidence that the guru's who wrote the GGS were very nice people. It's because of this fact, that it's very hard for sikhs to take the 'evil' parts of the GGS and justify their evil actions, like we can see many muslims doing with the koran.

I don't have a problem with Gandhi, but I do with his views. I think people have made him nicer than he actually was.

I also believe God is Omniscient, Omnipresent and Omnipotent, not because the bible says it, but because my faith says it too. However, we don't have the fear of hell and pleasure of heaven. Hell is a place were there is no God, but God is everywhere, so where is hell????

"Wherever you keep me, I am in heaven" - GGS

Location hidden

#139373 Nov 20, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I have a choice to say today isn't Tuesday, but, here in England, at time of writing, it's generally accepted that it is indeed Tuesday.
<quoted text>
Ok, Ok, Ok, I believe it! lol

It's a very wet Tuesday!!

Since: Mar 11

United States

#139374 Nov 20, 2012
I hate to say it but for once I agree with bob.
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>21Nov12.....
.....Do NOT listen to dis schidt-for-brains 'bossDroppings', Clementia. You have more common sense den this eeejit has.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#139375 Nov 20, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if it goes against the evidence?
noooooo! Why do you guys not understand? I was messing with Drew, because he keeps asking me too many weird questions! It's like me saying, God did it!

Location hidden

#139376 Nov 20, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>21Nov12.....
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Why? I thought he's a christian? What, don't christians like christians? please clarify!

He confused me with the hell and God being Omnipresent thing!

Location hidden

#139377 Nov 20, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I hate to say it but for once I agree with bob.
<quoted text>
Seriously, I have more common sense than him? What's so bad about him that both you atheists and christians don't like him?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139378 Nov 20, 2012
And not in a good way.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, Ok, Ok, I believe it! lol
It's a very wet Tuesday!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 39 min Patrick 42
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 47 min Patrick 21
100% Faith Free 54 min Thinking 11
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Patrick 54
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr MUQ1 21,499
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••