Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,698)

Showing posts 133,941 - 133,960 of223,241
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's none of those things. But nearly all of the theists here will refer to their God as a "he", will talk about his "eyes" or his "hands", will ascribe various human emotions to him (such as love or anger).
You've noticed that, have you not?
Now, should we worship gravity?
It's not my fault, if I use he. God is unisex in sikhi, we have male and female names for him and we don't say he, we say they. Oh, shit! I said he again, damn!!! This is the fault of the English speaking people, they made God male.

Does gravity give you inner strength? do you love it? could you die for it? Has it helped you become a better person? If so, you can believe it if you want, I don't!

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more beautiful when you listen to it or read it in gurmukhi, because the verses rhyme and are very sweet.
I don't have any problem with atheists! I have a problem with people who think they know it all and who then try to enforce their view on me. Normally, but not always, these people are the religious nuts! The atheists I know, told me about their beliefs but they have never tried to 'convert' me. That 'virtue' only belongs to the fanatic religious people.
I don't have a problem with atheists either. In the context of an internet "friend", I have made a number of friends on topix, even some that are atheists. In fact, I rather have an argument with an atheist because they usually go indepth with their criticisms and defense of what they stand for.

And I agree with you as well about those trying to impose their views. I'm a Christian. Proud of it and proud that I worship Jesus Christ as God. But nowhere in the accounts of Jesus' life on earth, did Jesus ever tell his followers to force people to worship Him Jesus, as God. All Jesus said was to "go and tell". That's it. Christians can't make anyone worship Jesus. Once a person has heard the Gospel of Christ, then its their decision to embrace, or reject. After someone reads or hears the Gospel, it then becomes personal between that person, and God. The responsibility of the Christian to that person is over. If after a person knows, and the Christian or Organization is forcing the issue, then that Christian or Org. is exhibiting cult like tendencies. And a cult is anti-freedom, and not of God.

And I know almost everyone in this forum, have read about Jesus Christ. They reject, that is their issue. I mostly stop by to see the latest argument and defense these atheists have for their beliefs...which can be both hilarious and require a serious response or two at times.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh? Why not?
Because I don't want to! simple!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
If only it were that easy.
yh.

I was joking with 'Tide'.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics to Christians is the same as carrot is to vegetable. Celery is a different name than carrot but both fare still vegetables. Why is it overtime I post you i feel like I'm dealing with a 12 years old. YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN. Avoid it all you want, but you are classified by everyone else on the planet as a CHRISTIAN. Learn to deal with it. I know it's difficult but do give it a try!!!!
He must be embarrassed by it.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
You ignored my questions.
Let's try again.
Should we get an old science book about star formation? You know, back when they "knew" the Milky Way was the universe?
There was never a time when they *knew* the Milky Way was the universe. There was certainly a time when it was all of the *known* universe. But even at that point there was speculation about what was beyond it, if anything. In particular, many nebulae were known that turned out to be other galaxies, but had not been resolved into individual stars.

The *science* books from that time (as opposed to the popular books for non-scientists) were very clear about the *lack* of knowledge concerning star formation and that the ideas current at the time were speculation.
Or should we get a newer one, where they "know" more about gravity & hydrogen?
Sure, go ahead. What time period are you thinking about? Since the energy source of stars wasn't known until the 1930's, that will be a good line for when reliable knowledge got going.
Or should we wait for a future science book where they'll "know" even more?
Depends on the questions you want to consider. We know that the earth orbits the sun. At one point that was speculation. We know that the Milky Way is one of many galaxies. At one point that was also speculation. We know that ordinary matter is made from atoms, which are made from protons, neutrons, and electrons. At one point that was also speculation.

You see, knowledge does improve over time. The speculation at one time can become the knowledge of a later time. This is part of how science works. But, even when there are revolutions in science that completely change the detailed explanations, the parts that were previously known to work do not suddenly stop working. Even with the elimination of the ether theory of light, Maxwell's equations still functioned. Even when Newton's theory of gravity was overthrown, it still sufficed to give very good approximations to reality.

So there is no way that an idea that was overturned by the evidence will come back in the same form. That is why creationism is not a serious consideration: it was the standard idea 200 years ago and was overthrown by the evidence. No matter what happens to our ideas in the future, the fact that the universe is more than our galaxy and is expanding will not be overthrown. the *details* of that expansion and the history of it may well change, but the raw fact will not.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Perhaps he prays to magneto?
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see one of your transparent attempts to feign wisdom. Just stop it. The fact that a magnet can exert a force on a piece of metal does not "prove" that we are being "controlled" by EM. You are bordering on delusions of grandeur - thinking you have "figured it all out." From "my" perspective - the universe is incomprehensible - but not to you, right? You know the secret of the magnets!
Seriously, please stop spouting this garbage at me. It's cool if you wanna believe this nonsense. What you can't do is claim a few simple facts - that magnets exist and that our blood has iron - and then expect me to believe you when you say that we are being controlled by the EM gods.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad judgement?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
It's not my fault, if I use he. God is unisex in sikhi, we have male and female names for him and we don't say he, we say they. Oh, shit! I said he again, damn!!! This is the fault of the English speaking people, they made God male.
You could use "it".
Clementia wrote:
Does gravity give you inner strength? do you love it? could you die for it? Has it helped you become a better person? If so, you can believe it if you want, I don't!
No, none of those things.

So why should anyone "worship" anything?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
Because I don't want to! simple!
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

bossdrop wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a problem with atheists either. In the context of an internet "friend", I have made a number of friends on topix, even some that are atheists. In fact, I rather have an argument with an atheist because they usually go indepth with their criticisms and defense of what they stand for.
And I agree with you as well about those trying to impose their views. I'm a Christian. Proud of it and proud that I worship Jesus Christ as God. But nowhere in the accounts of Jesus' life on earth, did Jesus ever tell his followers to force people to worship Him Jesus, as God. All Jesus said was to "go and tell". That's it. Christians can't make anyone worship Jesus. Once a person has heard the Gospel of Christ, then its their decision to embrace, or reject. After someone reads or hears the Gospel, it then becomes personal between that person, and God. The responsibility of the Christian to that person is over. If after a person knows, and the Christian or Organization is forcing the issue, then that Christian or Org. is exhibiting cult like tendencies. And a cult is anti-freedom, and not of God.
And I know almost everyone in this forum, have read about Jesus Christ. They reject, that is their issue. I mostly stop by to see the latest argument and defense these atheists have for their beliefs...which can be both hilarious and require a serious response or two at times.
"Go and tell" who? Jesus tried to stop being doing evil things, these 'christians' that go around trying to convert people don't stop people from doing evil, they just make them say "I love jesus".

I have met some of the nicest atheists on this planet. They don't kill, steal, rape, murder, hate and judge people, but those fanatic 'christians' have even tried converting them. I have had christians telling me I'm one of the nicest people they've met, but no i'm still going to hell because i'm a sikh. How can these people say they are doing the work of Jesus??? They disgust me!!

I respect jesus too, but not everything that is written in the bible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You could use "it".
<quoted text>
No, none of those things.
So why should anyone "worship" anything?
Ok, I'll use they or it!

Worshiping my God helps me to be a better person. There is no point in believing in God if you are still evil. If you can be a good person without believing in God, I have no problem with you being an atheist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you want to agree with the "random" part of "random quantum fluctuations"?
because i have a choice not to!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't even a good definition of the term 'supernatural force'. If it is a 'force', it obeys some sort of force law, and therefore is *natural*. If it doesn't obey some sort of force law, then there is no way to test to see if it is a valid idea, so it is not scientific.
if you want the concept of a supernatural force to be considered seriously, you have to propose a testable theory involving one (with definitions, etc). And no, untestable theories are not going to be considered.
Are dark energy, and the forces of dark matter supernatural? They certainly would be considered such unless they were needed to make your calculations appear correct.

Would the EM of dark matter work the same as visible? If the gravity of dark matter originated in the BB, wouldn't the accompanying EM? Along with the nuclear forces? Could it be detected? Is it detected? Would the forces of this darkness cancel that of the visible?

Atl.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
And how does science disprove any of that?
<quoted text>
Evidence?(From actual peer-reviewed scientific research articles, not from popular newspapers or magazines.)
Well that's my whole point einstien.

If the the most influential body of scientists that are backing atheism, backing the view that God does not exist. That body of influence are evolutionary biologists. And as I showed you yesterday, this body of scientists are under the most assault with the threat of losing their jobs because of so limited institutions and places of employment, reason they tow the line of "No God", what do you think will become of "peer review"??...huh?

You atheists really only consider evolutionary biologists the only source of credibility on evolutionary theories. Any other scientists that criticize your beliefs are "not real" scientists or not relevant critiques you all say. So if there is peer review among a body of scientists where many are only trying to keep their jobs to pay their bills, the result of those peer reviews pretty much will result in group think.

In other words, a classic Catch 22. The only legitimate criticisms atheists will consider, are those from evolutionary biologists. And many of those evolutionary biologists cannot criticize or give their true assessment of the theories...because they are afraid to lose their jobs. Those are facts. There are evolutionary scientists that have lost their jobs because they claim belief in God and criticize ToE.

The result: simpletons like you therefore can cling maniacally to an absurd belief system and throw up the defense anytime...'evolutionary biological scientists agree no God...so there must be no God'.

Your religion has been figured out, the scheme is up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Since many (perhaps even most) atheists were once religious people, we understand religious people quite well.
You don't understand me, that's why you question my belief! I understand atheists, that's why I never questioned their disbelief! I don't have a problem with you not believing in my God, but you seem to have some kind of problem with me. Am I wrong?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell you what: Tell us how one would go about looking at God "scientifically".
I think we'll quickly come to the answer to your question.
Well, only science can tell us that!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad. Quantum events *are* random.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-relation...

I don't think you truly grasp the physical realities of quantum mechanics.

You are confusing problems with observing with the actual physical goings on.

Your "randomness" is "magic". POOF!!! Or it is mathematical fudge factors for incorrect observation and interpretation.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
I was 16, my peer group a couple of years older. They decided it would be a great idea to let a match burn its complete length across the back of our hands. I decided I didn't want a permanent burn scar, but felt obliged to do something daft. Yes, beer was involved.
The working loose was aided by the tip of my tongue, which was very sore by end of it all. If you ever feel the need to waste 5g of Super Glue, I recommend you try to part the first fingers - where they join your hands - first.
<quoted text>
21nOV12.....

.....There was NO Superglu when you were 16. Superglue hasn't been toooooooooooo longy.

Ps:....Stop da LIES and da bullschit.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Atl.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
"Go and tell" who? Jesus tried to stop being doing evil things, these 'christians' that go around trying to convert people don't stop people from doing evil, they just make them say "I love jesus".
I have met some of the nicest atheists on this planet. They don't kill, steal, rape, murder, hate and judge people, but those fanatic 'christians' have even tried converting them. I have had christians telling me I'm one of the nicest people they've met, but no i'm still going to hell because i'm a sikh. How can these people say they are doing the work of Jesus??? They disgust me!!
I respect jesus too, but not everything that is written in the bible.
A sikh eh?...met a lot of sikhs in my travels in Asia. In fact, quite a few work for a marketing firm I have contracts with. You guys are nice people :)

Look, I will be the first to tell you, I don't like the Christian Religion either. Religion cannot make someone know Jesus Christ. The Christian Religion, have done many evil things throughout history. I think its Gandhi that said he has no problem with Jesus, its Christians he don't like or something like that. I would agree.

Just because someone says they are a Christian, does not mean they know Jesus Christ. and if they do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, then all they have is a religion.

As far as the teachings on hell..<shrughs>. It comes down to this. Do you believe God is Omnipotent? If you say yes, then you must ask yourself, why would it be too hard for God to have His creation mankind document in a book exactly what He GoD wanted us to know. And would it be too hard for God to have mankind choose the books of the bible that is authentic to God's knowledge to us mankind.

If you say that would not be too hard for an Omnipotent God, and I agree that would not be too hard for God...then why would you not believe the teachings about Hell?

And if you say, that would be too hard for God and you're still skeptical of whats in the bible...then you have to conclude, God is not Omnipotent. And if you conclude God is not Omnipotent, then you must conclude there is no God. Because by definition, God has to be Omnipotent.

I believe God is Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent. So although there are many teachings and accounts in the bible that I may not agree with, to me they are authentic.

But unfortunately, Christians do wield hell like a hammer. Sorry to say I have done it in the pass as well. But hell is not to be wielded like a hammer. It does nothing to bring people to Christ and in fact may make people more resistant to the teachings of Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 133,941 - 133,960 of223,241
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••