Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,697)

Showing posts 133,921 - 133,940 of217,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139294
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
Why don't we use the best books at the time?
Newton's great for getting to the Moon.
Getting to Mercury, or resetting GPS satellites takes a bit of Newton, plus a bit of Einstein on top for relativistic rounding.
What we don't do is this: ask women to burn a dove after every period (Old Testament) and endorse slavery as jesus did (New Testament).
<quoted text>
Ah... I see you've misread Leviticus.

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139295
Nov 20, 2012
 
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Which idiots put that notion into atheists heads in the first place?
Atheists did. They really need proof in order to not believe. I don't know why.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139296
Nov 20, 2012
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics aren't Christian.
der
This is why they have different names.
Moron
Dude, seriously are you that friggin dumb????

Definition of CHRISTIAN (Merriam-Webster)
1
a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Last time I checked, Catholics believe in Jesus. In fact, if you were to say study world history you would know that the Catholic church is the "ancestor" of all western Christianity sects. Catholicism was the only Christianity in Medieval Europe until Martin Luther came along

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139297
Nov 20, 2012
 
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>This is a distinction that many christian's either can't understand, or refuse to understand. I think it makes some of you feel better to think that we would be christians if not for this really strong belief in atheism. That is not the case. There are two "types" of athiesm. One is simply a lack of belief. That describes me, and many others. The other is a belief that no god exists. That does not describe me, and clearly does not describe blacklagoon, which is what he was trying to tell you.
I can't speak for "many Christians", just one. If you have a question for me (and not all of Christianity), them ask.

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139298
Nov 20, 2012
 
Givemeliberty wrote:
Btw double digit IQ, if you are doing something gag with a science book you are using it wrong. Pull it out of your Christhole and open it in front of you face with the words and illustrations facing right side up.
This would explain why you know so little about science and well... Everything.
Books are made for reading RR not stuffing up your @rse. This revelation may just open a whole new world for you.
You're welcome.
<quoted text>
Troll much?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139299
Nov 20, 2012
 
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever watched something balancing on a very tiny point, and a small vibration makes it unbalanced and it falls off?
So what happens when you've got an entire Universe in a very high energy state (compressed into a very tiny space), and random quantum fluctuations cause it to fall from that very high energy state into a lower state resulting in a massive inflation in size?
"random quantum fluctuations"......I can agree with that but not the "random" part.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139300
Nov 20, 2012
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll much?
No you are the troll. THis is an Atheism forum last time I checked. You and your fundie friends like to dictate your fundie batshit crazy beliefs onto us, not the other way around.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139301
Nov 20, 2012
 
So why is facial hair so important to the many religious people?
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's not a man or a woman. He's not a human, animal, plant or anything we have ever seen or heard of. At present, his form is beyond our comprehension.
I think we humans need to stop wasting time and/or money trying to find out what God looks like. Scientists need to focus more on important things like saving children dying from leukemia. If we did that then maybe less children would die from it.
We shouldn't forget that too much curiosity killed the cat!!
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139302
Nov 20, 2012
 
No.

Also, your god needs feeding and is unable to overcome iron chariots!

The bible: a crazy work of fiction.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah... I see you've misread Leviticus.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139303
Nov 20, 2012
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think should zap us all with fuzzy feelings & fix everything for us?
Thats not a bad idea. Why act as if you dont exist? An impersonal god that creates the universe then sits back and does jack, is not a being requiring worship. An iron age despot would require his subjects to grovel in the dirt for mercy? Hmm I wonder why the god of the bible is like that?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139304
Nov 20, 2012
 
Looking at the demographics, it's mainly religious people suffering.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there is avoidable suffering. God has taught us how to avoid it. Some choose not to listen.
Do you think should zap us all with fuzzy feelings & fix everything for us?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139305
Nov 20, 2012
 
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth didn't create itself.
Gravity created it.
So then maybe gravity is what I call God! Now tell me, is gravity a man with a long white beard or a girl with a tattoo? Maybe, gravity is a ballerina with pretty blonde hair and blue eyes?
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139306
Nov 20, 2012
 
I don't think my interpretation will help you. My knowledge of Guru Nanak is next to nothing. I understand Sikhism was born ~500 years ago of an urgent need to find a good way to live in between competing Hindu and muslim communities, and that's about all. I listen to the piece at 7.45pm on Radio 4 each morning which is sometimes Sikh. The Sikhs I know don't try to proselytise, so that's all I know.

My logic is this:
There could be an all powerful god that was not compassionate. If so, I despise it.
There could not under any circumstances be an all powerful god is compassionate. Evidence rules this out.
Any other "super being" is not really a god, it's just something we could probably out Evolve.
I haven't seen any evidence for any god anyway, so I live my life assuming there isn't one.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always been your situation! I've always asked God, why? why if you are real, do you allow this? But unlike you, I still take his name and try to help where I can. My heart doesn't believe God is evil, I don't know why!
There are verses in the GGS that made my grandad atheist, but I don't know why I still cling to God. I'll try to find those verses. Would you mind having a look at them and understanding what baba nanak was trying to say? I don't understand them.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139307
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
So why is facial hair so important to the many religious people?
<quoted text>
I don't know about other religious, it has no spiritual significance in sikhi, BUT it has a very political, logical and symbolic importance.

I'll try and find the post where I explained all this to Khatru.

The Guru granth sahib is against every ritual done for God. It even questions, why do we pray to God? If he is omnipresent and is within all hearts, surely then he must know what is in our minds?

The sikhism you see today is not the actual teachings of the GGS. Our mecca (akal takat, in golden temple) has forgotten the teachings of GGS and has started their own religion, for their own greed. Keeping hair has been giving spiritual significance, by these fools and not the GGS!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139308
Nov 20, 2012
 
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
..It even questions, why do we pray to God? If he is omnipresent and is within all hearts, surely then he must know what is in our minds?
..
A good point. I'd go one further and say prayer is not only not needed, as an all knowing god will know everything, but prayer is also superstition. It is superstition because people believe they can magically effect future events by saying magical words.
Thinking

Zeals, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139309
Nov 20, 2012
 
It's strange what some people obsess about in their scriptures. Like those christians that obsess about gays but ignore other bible messages when they obstruct healthcare for all.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about other religious, it has no spiritual significance in sikhi, BUT it has a very political, logical and symbolic importance.
I'll try and find the post where I explained all this to Khatru.
The Guru granth sahib is against every ritual done for God. It even questions, why do we pray to God? If he is omnipresent and is within all hearts, surely then he must know what is in our minds?
The sikhism you see today is not the actual teachings of the GGS. Our mecca (akal takat, in golden temple) has forgotten the teachings of GGS and has started their own religion, for their own greed. Keeping hair has been giving spiritual significance, by these fools and not the GGS!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139310
Nov 20, 2012
 
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics aren't Christian.
der
This is why they have different names.
Moron
Catholics to Christians is the same as carrot is to vegetable. Celery is a different name than carrot but both fare still vegetables. Why is it overtime I post you i feel like I'm dealing with a 12 years old. YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN. Avoid it all you want, but you are classified by everyone else on the planet as a CHRISTIAN. Learn to deal with it. I know it's difficult but do give it a try!!!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139311
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
I don't think my interpretation will help you. My knowledge of Guru Nanak is next to nothing. I understand Sikhism was born ~500 years ago of an urgent need to find a good way to live in between competing Hindu and muslim communities, and that's about all. I listen to the piece at 7.45pm on Radio 4 each morning which is sometimes Sikh. The Sikhs I know don't try to proselytise, so that's all I know.
My logic is this:
There could be an all powerful god that was not compassionate. If so, I despise it.
There could not under any circumstances be an all powerful god is compassionate. Evidence rules this out.
Any other "super being" is not really a god, it's just something we could probably out Evolve.
I haven't seen any evidence for any god anyway, so I live my life assuming there isn't one.
<quoted text>
Yes, sikhi was created for those people who wanted to live in peace with eachother, but who weren't being allowed to in hinduism/islam. Even if it was for four days, sikhi gave men freedom! But now even the verses from the GGS have been taken out of context and sikhi has been corrupted.

Yes, we don't convert. But these days baptism is being mentally forced on us sikhs and it makes me f*cking angry!!!!!!

I've never listened to radio 4, I'm always listening to asian network.

But from my understanding of GGS, people like you are the true ones. From the bottom of your heart you do believe in the 'God' that sikhi talks about, because you can't bear to see children dying of leukemia! That is the state religious people should be in, but most of them are too obsessed with worshiping God from thier mouths and trying to get other people to say God from their mouths.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139312
Nov 20, 2012
 
Thinking wrote:
It's strange what some people obsess about in their scriptures. Like those christians that obsess about gays but ignore other bible messages when they obstruct healthcare for all.
<quoted text>
LOL, so true.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Who the hell hasn't sinned? Oh, but then most religious people think they're perfect!

Our sikh religious body thinks that 'sikhism' will die if the sikh identity is not kept alive. That's why they force the hair thing. And if 'sikhism' dies then how will these people make money? It's all about bloody greed!! They don't care if the true message gets out or not. It's the same with all the other religious organisations.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#139313
Nov 20, 2012
 
I'd wager he belongs to one of those nutty Sarah Palin churches that scream the Pope is the Anti Christ and such.

He is a verified loon with a sub 88 IQ no doubt.
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, seriously are you that friggin dumb????
Definition of CHRISTIAN (Merriam-Webster)
1
a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ
Last time I checked, Catholics believe in Jesus. In fact, if you were to say study world history you would know that the Catholic church is the "ancestor" of all western Christianity sects. Catholicism was the only Christianity in Medieval Europe until Martin Luther came along

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 133,921 - 133,940 of217,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••