Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
133,881 - 133,900 of 225,585 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Thinking

Andover, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

The childhood leukaemia argument is the main reason I turned my back on belief.

An all powerful god has no reason to inflict or to allow unnecessary suffering to get what it wants because it has, by definition, no needs at all.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I was joking with 'Tide', that had nothing to do with you or anybody else!
Ask that question to people who think we can control death. Also ask those people that think they know what God is upto. I don't have the answer!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Somewhere out here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =58fs5yI8K9IXX&feature=sha re
Our Universe is amazing and we are mere specks ~ but we are mere specks for a reason :)
I think He's everywhere out there.

Nice video, thanks.
Thinking

Andover, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Very few believe 100% there is no god.

Many however believe that the all powerful compassionate god that christians worship can not under any circumstances exist because there is avoidable suffering.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, some of you BELIEVE there is no god.
OK!!!
Thinking

Andover, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Why don't we use the best books at the time?

Newton's great for getting to the Moon.
Getting to Mercury, or resetting GPS satellites takes a bit of Newton, plus a bit of Einstein on top for relativistic rounding.

What we don't do is this: ask women to burn a dove after every period (Old Testament) and endorse slavery as jesus did (New Testament).
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
You ignored my questions.
Let's try again.
Should we get an old science book about star formation? You know, back when they "knew" the Milky Way was the universe?
Or should we get a newer one, where they "know" more about gravity & hydrogen?
Or should we wait for a future science book where they'll "know" even more?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
I was 16, my peer group a couple of years older. They decided it would be a great idea to let a match burn its complete length across the back of our hands. I decided I didn't want a permanent burn scar, but felt obliged to do something daft. Yes, beer was involved.
The working loose was aided by the tip of my tongue, which was very sore by end of it all. If you ever feel the need to waste 5g of Super Glue, I recommend you try to part the first fingers - where they join your hands - first.
<quoted text>
LOL! I am glad that you admit to it being a daft idea.

Meh, but what is youth without doing stupid things?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It disturbs you that you are just a fancy holograph? You would like to believe that your will is greater than the forces of the universe?
We use those principles in our technology.
Ever try the magnet and hanging rock thing? Add just the smallest bit of iron to the rock and see how it bends to your will.
Chips off the old block?
No, it wouldn't disturb me. In fact, it would have no effect on me, or how I live my life.

And about the magnet/hanging rock. So what? You can't assume that the same is true of humans, and you can't explain the mechanism by which we could be controlled via the iron in our blood. These are your pipe dreams, and that's fine, but stop acting like you have a shred of proof for them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tsk.
I told him to check for super glue first.
Joke.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
So god is clean shaven?
<quoted text>
He's not a man or a woman. He's not a human, animal, plant or anything we have ever seen or heard of. At present, his form is beyond our comprehension.

I think we humans need to stop wasting time and/or money trying to find out what God looks like. Scientists need to focus more on important things like saving children dying from leukemia. If we did that then maybe less children would die from it.

We shouldn't forget that too much curiosity killed the cat!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not bright enough.
And anyways, he's being remote controlled by the magnet gods, so it really wouldn't have been his fault.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, some of you BELIEVE there is no god.
OK!!!
This is a distinction that many christian's either can't understand, or refuse to understand. I think it makes some of you feel better to think that we would be christians if not for this really strong belief in atheism. That is not the case. There are two "types" of athiesm. One is simply a lack of belief. That describes me, and many others. The other is a belief that no god exists. That does not describe me, and clearly does not describe blacklagoon, which is what he was trying to tell you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
The childhood leukaemia argument is the main reason I turned my back on belief.
An all powerful god has no reason to inflict or to allow unnecessary suffering to get what it wants because it has, by definition, no needs at all.
<quoted text>
I've always been your situation! I've always asked God, why? why if you are real, do you allow this? But unlike you, I still take his name and try to help where I can. My heart doesn't believe God is evil, I don't know why!

There are verses in the GGS that made my grandad atheist, but I don't know why I still cling to God. I'll try to find those verses. Would you mind having a look at them and understanding what baba nanak was trying to say? I don't understand them.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a! Hey Clem it's your time to shine :)
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics aren't Christian.
der
This is why they have different names.
Moron

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Btw double digit IQ, if you are doing something gag with a science book you are using it wrong. Pull it out of your Christhole and open it in front of you face with the words and illustrations facing right side up.

This would explain why you know so little about science and well... Everything.

Books are made for reading RR not stuffing up your @rse. This revelation may just open a whole new world for you.

You're welcome.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics aren't Christian.
der
This is why they have different names.
Moron

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists often attribute God with human characterists and/or flaws. They do this so they can pretend to scientifically scrutinize Him. That's why they call Him skydaddy, say He's an old white man with a long white beard & say that He lives in the clouds....
Athitards are cute.
Which idiots put that notion into atheists heads in the first place?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a! Hey Clem it's your time to shine :)
<quoted text>
Sweetie dear, Get your sunglasses on and some suntan lotion. Clementia's coming to town!:-)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it wouldn't disturb me. In fact, it would have no effect on me, or how I live my life.
And about the magnet/hanging rock. So what? You can't assume that the same is true of humans, and you can't explain the mechanism by which we could be controlled via the iron in our blood. These are your pipe dreams, and that's fine, but stop acting like you have a shred of proof for them.
Oh, my young fellow inmate trapped in this material world.

First, technology and physics employed by us proves that the effect on the rock and humans is the same. Very widespread.

Now, let me clue you into a hard fact of physical life. You can only do what you are allowed to do by superior forces. You fight one directly and you will lose. You will get worn out even if it is slightly stronger than you. Knowing where to stand and use leverage of various sorts is the key to getting what you want done, but even then you have to be allowed to get into those positions to effect such. All the way down to the most basic of actions, including thought. Something has to move out of the way for your puny force to express itself. You have a universe of much stronger forces than you restricting your initiatives. All moving at a very rapid pace, and from your perspective, in an incomprehensible pattern. Something as simple as the gravity holding the earth in orbit is also holding you, plus the galaxy holding the sun and earth and you. They are far away, but they have you firmly in their grip. You dance to their tune. Period. You have the illusion you can move on your own if and when you desire. This is hard physics. The universe is bound by very strong forces in relation to you.

It lets you think you exist the way you are.

If that physical universe moves according to your will, it is because there is a leverage you possess on a dimension you can't see letting you act.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
Very few believe 100% there is no god.
Many however believe that the all powerful compassionate god that christians worship can not under any circumstances exist because there is avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Yes there is avoidable suffering. God has taught us how to avoid it. Some choose not to listen.

Do you think should zap us all with fuzzy feelings & fix everything for us?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're ok with "energy creating itself", but if science were to say that, you would have a problem with it?
<quoted text>
I don't care if she's a young girl with a tattoo sitting on a bar stool. There's still not a single shred of evidence that points to her existence. So why believe in her?
I never said I have any problem with science!!!!!!!!!!

I'm saying we should look at God scientifically. Why do you have to make the God belief a 'cuckoo concept'?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Thinking wrote:
Why don't we use the best books at the time?
Newton's great for getting to the Moon.
Getting to Mercury, or resetting GPS satellites takes a bit of Newton, plus a bit of Einstein on top for relativistic rounding.
What we don't do is this: ask women to burn a dove after every period (Old Testament) and endorse slavery as jesus did (New Testament).
<quoted text>
Ah... I see you've misread Leviticus.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Which idiots put that notion into atheists heads in the first place?
Atheists did. They really need proof in order to not believe. I don't know why.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••