Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,692)

Showing posts 133,821 - 133,840 of216,398
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the fool for equivalating collections of atomic particles called biological molecules as something different than collections of metal molecules making a lever.
I thought you believed in abiogenetic evolution?
The body is classified as a machine. Look it up. You think those parts work by magic? Appears so.
Erm, can you learn to spell better? It's really a nuisance trying to figure out what you mean with all these made up words and such. Try spellcheck, computers have that now, you know.

Organic machines function very different from inorganic machines. Not to mention, you religious nuts have an abiogenesis myth, you need to learn what words mean better, especially if you're going to try to debunk something you know nothing about.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I can't quite understand why you don't understand the difference. Matter exists, It can be examined and tested, looked at from every angle. Don't try and include me in your "faith" based beliefs. Faith is what you need when no evidence is available. I don't have "faith" that matter has always existed, I "trust" what cosmologists and astrophysicists have discovered. Trust is very different from "faith." You want desperately for the acceptance that both Theists and Atheists are in the same boat. Both have "faith" that their beliefs are equal. There're not at all equal. One is based on things found in the naturalistic realm, the other for the supernatural realm, a non-existent realm.
Faith doesnít have to be religious faith. Thereíre are some unknowns about the beginning of the cosmos. Physicist will readily admit they donít know everything about the beginning. Where did the material come from that started the creation of the cosmos? What set off the expansion of the big bang?

What does the Higgs Boson or God Particle have to do with all creation? A lot is not known. One thought that does takes faith. That all this happened by self creation without the hand of framer? With matter always existing and not being created? Sort of a uncontrolled, and undirected explosion of creation.

Buildings donít build themselves, cars donít design, engineer, manufactory parts, then self assemble. To not believe in a supreme creator is to believe in happenstance of self creation.

In this world we live in everything is impacted by ďCause and Effect.Ē To believe all the cosmos self created is to believe in the effect and not the cause. Something caused matter to assemble, caused it to expand, creating stars, planets, the universe. Doctor, you believe in Physics, Physicist, Evolutionist, but you donít believe in the cause.

It takes blind faith to believe all this was created with no direction, no purpose, and no cause. Happenstance creation, uncontrolled, undirected, unconstrained, and from this all life started?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like. But all I said was everyone has their beliefs....
Don't be skeered of that word.
I know ateheists fear using the word "belief", but y'all don't hafta.
I don't have any beliefs that equate to religious beliefs. In other contexts, I may use the word.

I believe I'm going to have a milkshake. Is this a "belief" like your belief in God?

To avoid confusion, I use words selectively according to context. I find that if I'm accurate and explicit in my writing, I can prevent some of the distractions that arise from conversing with ...um... certain types of people who are easily distracted.(Here I'm being vague to avoid distractions)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith doesnít have to be religious faith. Thereíre are some unknowns about the beginning of the cosmos. Physicist will readily admit they donít know everything about the beginning. Where did the material come from that started the creation of the cosmos? What set off the expansion of the big bang?
What does the Higgs Boson or God Particle have to do with all creation? A lot is not known. One thought that does takes faith. That all this happened by self creation without the hand of framer? With matter always existing and not being created? Sort of a uncontrolled, and undirected explosion of creation.
Buildings donít build themselves, cars donít design, engineer, manufactory parts, then self assemble. To not believe in a supreme creator is to believe in happenstance of self creation.
In this world we live in everything is impacted by ďCause and Effect.Ē To believe all the cosmos self created is to believe in the effect and not the cause. Something caused matter to assemble, caused it to expand, creating stars, planets, the universe. Doctor, you believe in Physics, Physicist, Evolutionist, but you donít believe in the cause.
It takes blind faith to believe all this was created with no direction, no purpose, and no cause. Happenstance creation, uncontrolled, undirected, unconstrained, and from this all life started?
You have no idea what physicists say, you should not pretend you do.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
I can see where that would make life easier for you.
Eliminating superstition and all things supernatural has its advantages.

Less wasted time.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://forteana-blog.blogspot. com/2012/11/the-astrophysics-o f-gravity-modification.html
The mainstream theory of gravity sucks.
Sorry, MOND and other modified gravity theories *still* require dark matter to agree with observations. And that is even though MOND and TeVeS have some 'arbitrary wiggle' built into them.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eliminating superstition and all things supernatural has its advantages.
Less wasted time.
Also less time wasted on finding things to hate.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Matter appears to exist, to other matter. It is a closed system of energy transfers.
Matter is not "solid". It is the energy that gives the appearance of separation and "solidity". Our space is a foam, if you believe the Big Bang.
You may trust cosmologists and astrophysicists, but I don't believe you understand what they have discovered. Perhaps you have latched onto the projections of some of them to reinforce your religious beliefs, or are drawing your own conclusions of what they have discovered to accomplish that same end.
Forces you can't see drive this existence, not what you see. That includes the assumed four fundamental forces.
Study up on the subject a little more before you speak with such certainty, because you are showing a lack of understanding of the actual physical processes. Your understanding appears very topical.
A little learning is a dangerous thing ;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

-Alexander Pope

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, MOND and other modified gravity theories *still* require dark matter to agree with observations. And that is even though MOND and TeVeS have some 'arbitrary wiggle' built into them.
All of your gravity based theories of the origination of the universe need new thingies to prop them up.

Shoulda got it right the first time. Or at least the first several.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of your gravity based theories of the origination of the universe need new thingies to prop them up.
Shoulda got it right the first time. Or at least the first several.
Okay Dave which theory of the origin of the universe is based on gravity alone?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what physicists say, you should not pretend you do.
Macbeth - Shakespear

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." -(Act V, Scene V).
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists often attribute God with human characterists and/or flaws. They do this so they can pretend to scientifically scrutinize Him. That's why they call Him skydaddy, say He's an old white man with a long white beard & say that He lives in the clouds....
Athitards are cute.
No, the bibles description involves human characteristic, as In "he created man i. HIS image and LIKENESS. Like "Who can know the mind of God." "And God LOOKED down", means he's got eyes, "and God SAID", a mouth also. "And God picked up the dirt" he's got hands, and blew on it, mouth again, and lungs. So your full of shit, once again,m it your bible and you Christians who have displayed your God with many human characteristics.

Yes, he has both, according to your holy book, human characteristics and FLAWS. like this:

1.) The first 4 commandments invoke your Gods obsession with VANITY.( No other Gods, no idols, don't say my name unless you mean it, and pay me respect on the sabbath.)

2.) He has uncontrollable fits of rage, and needs some serious anger management classes.

3.) He's a piss poor designer, one tube to both eat and breath. Check out the annual deaths from choking while eating. Hey, he did it with Whales and Dolphins. Must have been pissed off again.

4.) And for some unknown reason, he hates amputee's. I thought he was a kind, caring, loving, compassionate being. God's aren't supposed to hate are they?

5.) Refuses to reveal himself so that all would know he is the one true God. Instead he takes great pleasure in watching rival tribes butcher each other. I think he enjoys the divisive nature of religions in general. Now thats a serious flaw right?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has their beliefs.
No, some of us LACK a belief!!!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Should we gay an old science book about star formation? You know, back when they "knew" the Milky Way was the universe?
Or should we get a newer one, where they "know" more about gravity & hydrogen?
Or should we wait for a future science book where they'll "know" even more?
In your case, it shouldn't make much difference, anything with the basic, here's how stars and planets form.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
I can see where that would make life easier for you.
Correct, being logical, and realizing whats real and what is only imagined makes anyones life easier. You do know the saying, "Can't see the forest for the trees?" And..."your beliefs inform your actions, so having as few false beliefs as possible is a really good thing."

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Clementia wrote:
i also don't agree with atheists when they say the world just created itself.
The Earth didn't create itself.

Gravity created it.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Clementia wrote:
God is some kind of energy or something like that, i'm waiting for science to figure it out!
So you're ok with "energy creating itself", but if science were to say that, you would have a problem with it?
Clementia wrote:
God is NOT an old man with a long white beard sitting on a cloud!!!!
I don't care if she's a young girl with a tattoo sitting on a bar stool. There's still not a single shred of evidence that points to her existence. So why believe in her?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Macbeth - Shakespear
Shakespear?

In journalism school (I know something about this), the first thing you have drilled into you is:

Read your copy, read your copy, then read your copy.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Clementia wrote:
Yes, i believe in evoltion, big bang, etc........but something must have initiated those events and that is the thing i call God!
Ever watched something balancing on a very tiny point, and a small vibration makes it unbalanced and it falls off?

So what happens when you've got an entire Universe in a very high energy state (compressed into a very tiny space), and random quantum fluctuations cause it to fall from that very high energy state into a lower state resulting in a massive inflation in size?

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

And how does science disprove any of that?
bossdrop wrote:
Science has disproved all of that.
Evidence?(From actual peer-reviewed scientific research articles, not from popular newspapers or magazines.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 133,821 - 133,840 of216,398
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••