Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
133,601 - 133,620 of 226,355 Comments Last updated 47 min ago

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#138993 Nov 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll miss it. I have to go back to the U.S. tomorrow. Culture shock, again.
Just in time for the hefty Reindeer Jesus and his 12 elf disciples.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#138994 Nov 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Only saw the F1 so can't comment, had a very social weekend.
Well done Lewis, shame he's off to Mercedes. Maybe they'll have a good car in 2014 when the regs change...
<quoted text>
We are set up for a thriling climax. I have a soft spot for Alonso - the guy that dethroned King Schumacher will always have my support.

You didn't watch the rugby? Missed a number of good games. New Zealand's second team found going surprisingly tough against Italy, Ireland destroyed Fiji, Scotland rallied from 18 points down to give the Boks a scare, Australia inched out the English, France had too many guns for Argentina, and Samoa beat Wales in Cardiff, my choice for game of the weekend.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138995 Nov 19, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I give all year round. I don't require a special time of the year to give.
I love christmas! It is one of the best pagan rituals we follow!
You know the routine:
Evergreens in the house = pagan.
Celebrating the Winter Solstice = pagan
So on and so forth...
Xmas has been a secular holiday for a long time and it has never been christian.

That isn't pagan. Transcended borders.

Location hidden

#138996 Nov 19, 2012

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138997 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.
It may not have been the intention from the beginning to have Topix developed, but rather as an adaption to things that have developed. A deity can roll dice if one chooses to do so. It is not obligated to have a pre-determined outcome of its creations. It may very well have ultimate control over the destiny of those creations, but it may just very well enjoy surprises. How many times have you wound up a toy to see what it does, and it was up to you whether you kept it falling off the table top or not?
It is YOUR assumption creations are made for a serious purpose.
Someone mentioned mouse traps last night. The best mouse traps are glue traps. Put a little bait on the glue, and pick up at your leisure later. A mouse can see another stuck and will get stuck doing the same thing. Neat thing about bait, the vermin come to it.
If it is omniscient then it's all been predetermined already.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#138998 Nov 19, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Double Fine was born in 1986 - Year of the Dragon :)
<quoted text>
Your sources are very accurate, indeed
Apologies. Does it spit fire?

Location hidden

#138999 Nov 19, 2012

Location hidden

#139000 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is omniscient then it's all been predetermined already.
If it is omniscient then it knows how to surprise itself.

Your intellect is too limited to second guess the forces that created you. Give it up. It is an exercise in frustration.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#139001 Nov 19, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Apologies. Does it spit fire?
According to some ladies, yes.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#139002 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YhRps_GjbFgXX
That isn't pagan. Transcended borders.
Sorry, but Xmas, or even Christmas, whichever you prefer, has been secular since it's conception. The original was not at all religiously oriented, it had nothing to do with religion, it was sitting in the caves during a time when food was scarce, around the fire, telling stories of the warm times, and hoping that nothing tried to make your cave it's home while you slept.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#139003 Nov 19, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
This is what sikhi says about creation, we can have a guess but honestly we don't know, at the moment only God knows!
"What was that time, and what was that moment? What was that day, and what was that date?
What was that season, and what was that month, when the Universe was created?
The Pandits, the religious scholars, cannot find that time, even if it is written in the Puraanas.
That time is not known to the Qazis, who study the Koran.
The day and the date are not known to the Yogis, nor is the month or the season.
The Creator who created this creation-only He Himself knows."
The limits of the created universe cannot be perceived. Its limits here and beyond cannot be perceived. Many struggle to know His limits, but His limits cannot be found. No one can know these limits. The more you say about them, the more there still remains to be said." (SGGS p5)
"So many worlds beyond this world-so very many! What power holds them, and supports their weight?" (SGGS p3)
"All are in the One, and the One is in all. This is what the True Guru has shown me.(5). He who created the worlds, solar systems and galaxies - that God cannot be known.(6). From the lamp of God, the lamp within is lit; the Divine Light illuminates the three worlds.(7)." (SGGS p907)
"For so many ages, there was only pitch darkness; the Creator Lord was absorbed in the primal void." (SGGS p1023)
"For endless eons, there was only utter darkness. There was no earth or sky; there was only the infinite Command of His Hukam. There was no day or night, no moon or sun; God sat in primal, profound Samaadhi.(1) There were no sources of creation or powers of speech, no air or water. There was no creation or destruction, no coming or going. There were no continents, nether regions, seven seas, rivers or flowing water.(2)" (SGGS p1035)
"From this primal void, came the moon, the sun and the earth....From this primal void, the earth and the Akaashic Ethers were created....From this primal void, came the four sources of creation, and the power of speech....They were created from the void, and they will merge into the void....." (SGGS p1037)
i hope that helps u understand sikhi belief!
That seems remarkably similar to the deist position actually.

Now if you can accept that evolution is real and humans didn't magically pop out of thin air at some point, we'll have nothing to argue about.

In general even though I am an atheist I'm quite comfortable accepting the fact that I can't disprove the existence of the kind of god deists, and apparantly the sikhi belief, talk about.

In debate though it isn't up to me to prove something doesn't exist. Burden of proof lies with the person making the existential claim.

And to be honest, though I recognise the fact that I can't completely rule the posibility out I think the existence of a god is about as probable as the existence of the flying spaghetti monster.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#139004 Nov 19, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Just in time for the hefty Reindeer Jesus and his 12 elf disciples.
I have to get through the Thanksgiving festivities first. Picture a large table in a sterile dining room. 30 or so people dining on the carcasses of 5 large birds. My favorite chef (in the whole world) brings me a plate of wild rice, wild mushrooms and asparagus. Furtive glances my way, "is she sane now"?

Fun.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#139005 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is omniscient then it knows how to surprise itself.
Your intellect is too limited to second guess the forces that created you. Give it up. It is an exercise in frustration.
That would be a contradiction in terms, you cannot be surprised if you are omniscient.

The forces that created me are quite easy to understand, gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong force. There are 12 particles as well. The chemical reactions of the atoms formed by the 12 particles and the four forces result in what we call living.

Location hidden

#139006 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but Xmas, or even Christmas, whichever you prefer, has been secular since it's conception. The original was not at all religiously oriented, it had nothing to do with religion, it was sitting in the caves during a time when food was scarce, around the fire, telling stories of the warm times, and hoping that nothing tried to make your cave it's home while you slept.
Uh huh. You witnessed this?

Doesn't matter. It is called Christmas now. Deal with it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#139007 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh. You witnessed this?
Doesn't matter. It is called Christmas now. Deal with it.
Actually, it's called whatever people want to call it and a large portion of the population calls it Xmas now as well, you need to deal with that.

Location hidden

#139008 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be a contradiction in terms, you cannot be surprised if you are omniscient.
The forces that created me are quite easy to understand, gravity, electromagnetism, weak and strong force. There are 12 particles as well. The chemical reactions of the atoms formed by the 12 particles and the four forces result in what we call living.
Omniscience does not require you know the ultimate result of your actions. Your perception of it doing such is a limited intellectual understanding of such.

FWIW, Eve and the apple established very early on that the Abrahamic God did not create man fully expecting to know what would happen.

Location hidden

#139009 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's called whatever people want to call it and a large portion of the population calls it Xmas now as well, you need to deal with that.
The majority calls it Christmas. YOU deal with that.

You will find in time people will not let you define terms for them.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#139010 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Omniscience does not require you know the ultimate result of your actions. Your perception of it doing such is a limited intellectual understanding of such.
FWIW, Eve and the apple established very early on that the Abrahamic God did not create man fully expecting to know what would happen.
What you describe is not omniscient.

om·ni·scient
adjective \-sh&#601;nt\
: having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight
: possessed of universal or complete knowledge

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#139011 Nov 19, 2012
Definition of OMNISCIENT
: having infinite awareness, understanding, and insight
: possessed of universal or complete knowledge
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#139012 Nov 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Thanksgiving is coming up in a few days and Christmas not that far behind. Also the Jewish Holidays are around the corner.
I assume most atheist participate in the Christmas Holidays even if they don’t believe in Christ. Parties, friends, loved ones, oh the little munchkins running and playing. A time to exchange gifts and the hugs & kisses and hot coffee, coco, or what ever warms the soul.
If it’s not asking too much, try not to be Mr. Scrooge this Christmas. You won’t crack and break into a million pieces if you say,“Merry Christmas.” You’ll be going by that Salvation Army Kettle. Don’t drop in a measly quarter. Stuff at least two or three dollars in.
If your community is having a food drive during the holidays, let go of a few cans for some family that has little to nothing. Some work sites adopt families for Christmas. Think about giving to someone who is less fortunate than yourself.
I don't know where all you christians get the idea that atheists are mean, bitter, selfish people from but it is demonstrably false:

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/04/30/rel...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
100% Faith Free 8 min CunningLinguist 12
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 5 hr Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 13 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 14 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••