Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 242992 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#139045 Nov 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Got some dirt and some magic? Sure saved you time studying biology.
<quoted text>
Tsk.

Magic is for the abiogenetic crowd.

Biology is the study of how things are assembled, not the ultimate causation for the assembly process. That would fall under what is now called physics, which so far states we all emanated from a seed that sprouted. Something those that have their heads buried in the Scriptures of Scientism fail to see, as they don't know how to look up on their own and see things the way they were designed to see.

BTW, most of those that wrote those Scriptures of Science were deist or theist.

Gee, you just can't believe nobody, can you?

Westcliffe, CO

#139046 Nov 19, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and in that warm spirit, I offer you my magnet collection, left over from a science experiment.
They are so powerful that I have been unable ti separate the stack.
Bullshit.

You slide them sideways.

I don't need them.

Westcliffe, CO

#139047 Nov 19, 2012
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMC6TS1VED_index_0....

Da Biggie Bangie.

Interesting thing about the heat, though. How did it cool off?

Heat travels by conduction or as light. If it ain't got nowhere to go, and no way to get there, it don't cool.

Westcliffe, CO

#139048 Nov 19, 2012
Oh, yeah.

Maybe 1(that's one)% of visible matter is what you could call neutral matter. The rest is plasma. We as humans are in that 1%.

This neutral matter is neutral because it has a collection of balanced charges within it, that can become unbalanced from external forces. Turned into ions and plasma by a variety of means.

But here we still are, after all of this time. Amazing.

This balance of charges, and external influences on them cause all sorts of neato stuff to happen, up to and including sex and the sensations of such. To stay neutral, that fine balance has to pass on energies it receives. Or it kind of goes to pieces. This sets up a very fine web of interactivity.

But, again, here we still are, after all of this time. Still in mostly one piece, so to speak. With that very energetic universe all around us. Amazing.

Gee, how lucky can a person be, huh? To be formed and self sustaining in such a hostile environment for so long. Makes you want to spend your savings on lotto tickets.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139049 Nov 19, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Thanksgiving is coming up in a few days and Christmas not that far behind. Also the Jewish Holidays are around the corner.
I assume most atheist participate in the Christmas Holidays even if they don’t believe in Christ. Parties, friends, loved ones, oh the little munchkins running and playing. A time to exchange gifts and the hugs & kisses and hot coffee, coco, or what ever warms the soul.
If it’s not asking too much, try not to be Mr. Scrooge this Christmas. You won’t crack and break into a million pieces if you say,“Merry Christmas.” You’ll be going by that Salvation Army Kettle. Don’t drop in a measly quarter. Stuff at least two or three dollars in.
If your community is having a food drive during the holidays, let go of a few cans for some family that has little to nothing. Some work sites adopt families for Christmas. Think about giving to someone who is less fortunate than yourself.
And why would you ASSUME that because we reject God that we don't have compassion for those less fortunate? There are, in fact, many atheist foundations that do wonderful work for the less fortunate. I find it only a little aggravating that you would think that someone who believes differently than you is devoid of caring and compassion.

Westcliffe, CO

#139050 Nov 19, 2012
There is an interesting something or other, watchamacallit, or whatever about gravity and stereo and thingies like that.

Play your music in the open air and the stereo kinda hits your years, and the compression waves kinda drift off to the rest of the planet. Oh, eventually they return after a fashion, but you wouldn't recognize them.

Put those speakers in a barrel of water and see if you recognize the tune, with you submerged in it. It ain't stereo no more.

The barrel of water is a barrel of water because gravity squashes it together. It winds up being called bouyancy. Gravity kind of does the same thing it does to this universe.

A mono amplifier will do the same as a stereo amp, you just have less standing waves created, and it may sound like stereo. Depends how and where you turn your head to listen.

You can get a lot of echoes. Hard to tell where the source is. Have to cock your ear the right way.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#139051 Nov 19, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>The last Thursday foolishness came from you and if you think that a false memory is plausible, then that is your issue and it only relates to an idea of a 11 billion year old universe.
Nope, you are the one make two claims, one that there is no god and two that the universe is 11 billion years old. the burden of proof is on you, since those are your claims and they are your beliefs. So, since all of your mental projecting is based on your beliefs, then the burden of proof is on you.
Actually, it is your position that is an "Appeal to popular belief" which is why your kind also believed in the flat earth and now the 11 billion year old earth. So, the burden of proof buy necessity falls on the atheist, because he is making a claim and making a challenge based on his belief.
Actually, there is no evidence that the earth dates back to 14 billion years ago, and the fact that you do not know that the range is 11 to 18 billion years, as proposed by various scientist is further proof of your tag along nature.
There is still no evidence that you were born gay, or that a magically frog turned into a land creature. The Bible does not fall when the menial lab tech bottle nature of science. Science is not big enough or capable.
Yes, the Big bang theory does attempt to propose that the universe expanded from nothing, it also says that the void and nothing was in a Black hole. So, your failure is duly noted.
Sediba or Jurassic rat is just another theory, not tested but proposed, that have yet to be proven or supported. But, I see that your desperation has not stopped you from making such claims. In fact, both camps advise that they are 10 to 15 years away from classification or proposing a theory.
But but but, you forgot about singularities, quantum mechanics, laws of physics collapsing in black holes, gravity not always holding up to physics, and all the unsupported observations which you ignore. Such as the major one, which is that not one of the so-called millions of black holes in this universe have ever been seen or observed. Oops.
But, none of this is necessary for you to come here daily just to fall on your sword.
The Christian tactic of attempting to sift the burden of proof was laid to rest with Bertram Russell's celestial teapot. It's a stupid and illogical tact, and you're falling into the same fallacy as many before you have. All intelligent people KNOW that the burden of proof is always on the shoulders of those make a POSITIVE claim. The LACK of belief is NOT a positive claim.

BTW, science doesn't have to observe something to know it exists. We KNOW the orbit of Pluto around the sun is 203 years, but have actually never observed one full orbit. Math and physics are really wonderful things.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139052 Nov 19, 2012
The scientific method strives to get to the right answer based on the best evidence available.

Scripture tries to defend itself, whatever the evidence. Scripture is self serving wank.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tsk.
Magic is for the abiogenetic crowd.
Biology is the study of how things are assembled, not the ultimate causation for the assembly process. That would fall under what is now called physics, which so far states we all emanated from a seed that sprouted. Something those that have their heads buried in the Scriptures of Scientism fail to see, as they don't know how to look up on their own and see things the way they were designed to see.
BTW, most of those that wrote those Scriptures of Science were deist or theist.
Gee, you just can't believe nobody, can you?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139053 Nov 19, 2012
So you think if a hot item was placed in deep space it would stay forever hot?

jesus culting christ that's dumb.
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMC6 TS1VED_index_0.html
Da Biggie Bangie.
Interesting thing about the heat, though. How did it cool off?
Heat travels by conduction or as light. If it ain't got nowhere to go, and no way to get there, it don't cool.

Westcliffe, CO

#139054 Nov 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
So you think if a hot item was placed in deep space it would stay forever hot?
jesus culting christ that's dumb.
<quoted text>
It can only give off heat as light. Infrared on the cooler side.

They have that issue with spacecraft, to keep them from overheating.

Thermos bottles work because vacuums are notorious non-conductors of heat.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139055 Nov 19, 2012
Only using stereo, grandad?
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is an interesting something or other, watchamacallit, or whatever about gravity and stereo and thingies like that.
Play your music in the open air and the stereo kinda hits your years, and the compression waves kinda drift off to the rest of the planet. Oh, eventually they return after a fashion, but you wouldn't recognize them.
Put those speakers in a barrel of water and see if you recognize the tune, with you submerged in it. It ain't stereo no more.
The barrel of water is a barrel of water because gravity squashes it together. It winds up being called bouyancy. Gravity kind of does the same thing it does to this universe.
A mono amplifier will do the same as a stereo amp, you just have less standing waves created, and it may sound like stereo. Depends how and where you turn your head to listen.
You can get a lot of echoes. Hard to tell where the source is. Have to cock your ear the right way.

Westcliffe, CO

#139056 Nov 19, 2012
Snowflakes are claimed to be unique, kinda like humans. Each formed differently and their own little paths to follow.

Little Sally Snowflake and Susietopixatheist Snowflake emerge into existence in the clouds.

Little Sally looks down and says "Wheeee!!!, I'm flying!! This is fun!!!" I'm going to enjoy this!!!

Susie Snowflake sneers at her and says "Silly Sally, you are just a stupid snowflake. If you were smart like me you would know that we will fall to the ground and turn into water. Big effing deal. I'm so glad I am smarter than you.

(Susie gets her little thrill on the way down)
Thinking

Andover, UK

#139057 Nov 19, 2012
If you're above Absolute Zero you're emitting thermal radiation,
whether in a vacuum or not.

Do you really believe a hot item placed in deep space will remain forever hot?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It can only give off heat as light. Infrared on the cooler side.
They have that issue with spacecraft, to keep them from overheating.
Thermos bottles work because vacuums are notorious non-conductors of heat.

Westcliffe, CO

#139058 Nov 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and for a long time. I think that is why they still have the CMB. Or something like that.

Don't expect a fresh baked pie to cool enough for dinner.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#139059 Nov 19, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yellodog/ Pattie, a seriously hateful person. She and a few other posters use to antagonize each other for months and months, if not years. Just screaming obscenities and what have you at each other.
She tried to engage me, but I wrote "You and I have nothing to discuss" because she's immune to knowledge and learning. After that, she and I were cool - hardly ever wrote to each other. I posted "happy birthday" when it was her b-day and "enjoy Xmas" and all the niceties I could, but I was mainly happy she just left me alone.
Then she broke that engagement, and said a bunch of meaningless nonsense I've since forgotten.
This new troll certainly targets me, though. But she's not picky, she targets a lot of people. They write the same and they're both incredibly stupid and insane. For me, there's no difference between them, so I'm just going to assume they're the same miserable person. This version is just Patties utterly hateful side, rather than the only slightly hateful side she shows everyone else.
I wonder if she lives off her mother's retirement savings, stays in her house, and just posts this stuff all day?
I don't know. I don't understand what the trolls get out of spewing bile all day. It's sad. If they wanted to be a good representative of their faith, they would behave like a human being and not an angry, delusional 12 year old.

Location hidden

#139060 Nov 19, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
I posted this before.
Simply staggering:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LU8DDYz68kMXX
Awesome video. Forgot about it.

Location hidden

#139061 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is omniscient then it knows how to surprise itself.
Your intellect is too limited to second guess the forces that created you. Give it up. It is an exercise in frustration.
Seems like we may have struck upon a paradox. Could an all knowing being create something that it couldn't know?

Westcliffe, CO

#139062 Nov 19, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Seems like we may have struck upon a paradox. Could an all knowing being create something that it couldn't know?
Of course. Especially if it created an environment for things to change.

Location hidden

#139063 Nov 19, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Omniscience does not require you know the ultimate result of your actions. Your perception of it doing such is a limited intellectual understanding of such.
FWIW, Eve and the apple established very early on that the Abrahamic God did not create man fully expecting to know what would happen.
Or it established that the authors of the bible did not have a firm grasp of logic and the paradoxes that may arise when logic is ignored.

Westcliffe, CO

#139064 Nov 19, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
"If we put a thermometer in darkest space, with absolutely nothing around, it would first have to cool off. This might take a very very long time. Once it cooled off, it would read 2.7 Kelvin. This is because of the "3 degree microwave background radiation." No matter where you go, you cannot escape it -- it is always there. "

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/a...

In case you didn't believe me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min Thinking 9,163
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Secret Admirer 19,741
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 8 hr lozzza 6,160
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Mon Thinking 15
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,280
More from around the web