Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
133,421 - 133,440 of 224,710 Comments Last updated 35 min ago

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
NO! it's not. i love Thor!!! and Zeus is cool too!! Learn to respect the beliefs of others, u bigot!:)
This wasn't fair, young lady.

Some respect must be earned. I don't respect every belief out there. I respect the right for people to have beliefs, but not necessarily the beliefs themselves.

Do you respect the belief that beating children is the only way to discipline them? I don't.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The expression is a DaveNelsonism.
Also.

Noun: Budaveism 'buh,dey-vee-izum
1.A cult like belief originated by two individuals{citation needed}that profess various forms of woo woo doctrines and a mixture of fringe science incorporating; Intelligent Design, Marlboro cigarettes, EM, "thingies", "energies",.·:*¨`*Th e Unknown*¨`*:·., paper clips, Universal Logic™, Jesusism, monoliths, beer, swine, and a cat. Primarily focused on an(*)insubstantial and invisible birdlike god being that resides outside of time and space. http://www.Budaveism.com

(*)see also - Don't know - http://www.davenelsonism.com

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
WORNG WORNG WORNG.
ooooooooooooooooh i spelt wrong as worng! Ooops!!

see, associating with Eagle has been beneficial, it's made u speedy gonzalez of mistake finding!!! lol.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Can't you just feel that Christian love?
Serah wrote:
I have surely read the atheist postings that were cruel and horrid ~ no love there, that is for sure :(
The difference being, of course, that Christians are supposed to love their neighbor. Atheists are under no such obligation, and therefore, unlike Christians, aren't acting like hypocrites when they don't.

Guess you missed that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm makeing funne of yor speling.
heheheheeeeeee

u too late speedy, i already got it now!

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Why should irrational beliefs be "respected"?
Clementia wrote:
don't call my belief irrational
Why not?
Clementia wrote:
if i believe something created us, why is that an irrational belief?
Because there is no objective evidence to support the belief.
Clementia wrote:
If a person who has an irrational belief, is respectful to u and your belief/disbelief, why can't u tolerate thier belief??
Because I see no reason to tolerate irrationality.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
In the past I lived in a couple of places with some neat zoos. Sunday morning would often find me and my family at the zoo, spending a good while just walking around and kind of communicating with the animals, or just being friendly observers. People tend to be sympathetic to the larger creatures confined, but then how else could you see and experience them.
Most in the viewing public would just regard them, while you always had those that try to get a reaction from them. Especially around the monkey cages. You can learn a lot about people by watching them around the animals.
The Creator of all things has provided Topix as a zoo to observe animals in the wild, so to speak. In this case a place for Topix atheists to come out of the shadows and screech. A place to manifest themselves to their fullest.
Fortunately, there are no dietary restrictions or social conventions to be followed in getting them to perform on here. Don't feel guilty giving them empty peanut shells. They would rather screech than eat.
Oh dave, the majesty of your prose is nearly arousing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i did webcam with a poster before, but that was only coz i was infatuated with him, that's who i came back for on topix.
i don't trust any of u, so why would i show u my pic and also u a girl so what's the point of showing u?
u really chinese?
Your a dude clementia. It's ok. I'm a dude too.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
don't call my belief irrational, Thor makes perfect sense to me! look at him from my perspective, then u will become gay!!hehehehehehehehee
if i believe something created us, why is that an irrational belief?
Because there's no evidence to back up that claim.

Look, I hold to the fact that people are allowed to have their own beliefs, but not their own facts. Plenty of people I hang out with believe that something somewhere set evolution in motion and thus in a way created us.

I can't disprove the deist position on the origin of the universe. It is possible that some kind of godly entity interfered a very long time ago and set evolution in motion. I find it highly unlikely, but I can't rule it out.

But there are some things about life on Earth we know for a fact. We know the Earth is more than 10.000 years old. We know different species evolved over the course of millions of years. We know the world wasn't created in 6 days.

These are facts.

Just like the fact that the grass is green.

Of course you can stand there and tell me the grass is pink and god created the earth in 6 days, but then I do get to point out that you're wrong.
If a person who has an irrational belief, is respectful to u and your belief/disbelief, why can't u tolerate thier belief??
Creationism to me became an issue when christians tried to pretend it was science.

It isn't. Never was, never will be.

Faith and science should be kept apart and as long as creationist want to teach intelligent design in science classes I will b*tch about it.

Religious education does NOT belong in biology lessons.

Other than that I tolerate plenty of irrational beliefs, including one of my friends' belief that he has a magic pair of socks that helped him pass his exams.

It's not like I hate everyone that believes in a supernatural entity, but all too often religious people start talking to atheists just to tell them science is wrong, they're going to burn in hell and religious people are much nicer and cooler than atheists will ever be.

You'll understand if we get a little defensive, right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.
It may not have been the intention from the beginning to have Topix developed, but rather as an adaption to things that have developed. A deity can roll dice if one chooses to do so. It is not obligated to have a pre-determined outcome of its creations. It may very well have ultimate control over the destiny of those creations, but it may just very well enjoy surprises. How many times have you wound up a toy to see what it does, and it was up to you whether you kept it falling off the table top or not?
It is YOUR assumption creations are made for a serious purpose.
Someone mentioned mouse traps last night. The best mouse traps are glue traps. Put a little bait on the glue, and pick up at your leisure later. A mouse can see another stuck and will get stuck doing the same thing. Neat thing about bait, the vermin come to it.
Dave, what if you're the deity, and you erased your memory and then created topix to surprise yourself?

http://epicbzzboy3.deviantart.com/art/Conspir...

Click that, dave. You'll like it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't fair, young lady.
Some respect must be earned. I don't respect every belief out there. I respect the right for people to have beliefs, but not necessarily the beliefs themselves.
Do you respect the belief that beating children is the only way to discipline them? I don't.
I WAS JOKING, U BANANA!!!

i said spanking kids is WORNG and i said we need to discipline them with love!!!

in england we not allowed to hit kids in school anymore, but i felt so bad in india, when kids were hit infront of my eyes. I remember i burst out crying when one of the teachers hit a student really hard with the blackboard cleaner stick (i don't know what it's called). I went to the head teacher and complained and she said "my dear this is india not england, u shouldn't work here if u can't handle it"! i just wanted to slap some sense into that bitch!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
Gosh, I don't get it, why try to fool God and pretend that the chapters you don't approve of really are not even in the Bible, when in fact God intended them to be there.
Is it a safe assumption then that you take the hard line on shellfish?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
Why should irrational beliefs be "respected"?
<quoted text>
Why not?
<quoted text>
Because there is no objective evidence to support the belief.
<quoted text>
Because I see no reason to tolerate irrationality.
there's no evidence to show there isn't a God!

u're just a meany then!:(

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i said spanking kids is WORNG and i said we need to discipline them with love!!!
in england we not allowed to hit kids in school anymore, but i felt so bad in india, when kids were hit infront of my eyes. I remember i burst out crying when one of the teachers hit a student really hard with the blackboard cleaner stick (i don't know what it's called). I went to the head teacher and complained and she said "my dear this is india not england, u shouldn't work here if u can't handle it"! i just wanted to slap some sense into that bitch!!!!
WORNG WORNG WORNG

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Tim you have to remember Dave is a lol hehehe deist who tells people if they don't believe in Christ they go to hell. Lmfao lulz!

Oops sorry :))
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I actually just watched one of her videos the other day. It looked like an interesting place. Some people were doing some pretty wack stuff, but if they like it, so what? They're not hurting anyone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Your a dude clementia. It's ok. I'm a dude too.
i'm a GIRL!!!!!!!!!! u want proof, huh, huh? i am the f*cking proof!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, before you even HAD children, you and your wife were discussing where and how you would hit them? That's really bizarre, man (and I use the term charitably).
I have bad news for you: You may be going to hell when you reach the end of the trail.
http://www.secularnewsdaily.co m/2010/02/christian-parents-bi blically-beat-child-to-death-f or-mispronouncing-word/

It's kind of a tradition.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you joking when you called Drew a bigot?

I used the child abuse thing as my example of a belief that you probably wouldn't respect. I don't respect many religious beliefs. Some of them are extremely harmful to society. I feel an obligation to speak out against the manifestation of those beliefs. If people could just believe things without ever acting on them, I wouldn't bother criticizing them.

You get it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Tim you have to remember Dave is a lol hehehe deist who tells people if they don't believe in Christ they go to hell. Lmfao lulz!
Oops sorry :))
<quoted text>
No, dave doesn't believe in any particular god, he simply uses his magnetic dousing rod to show him the truth, which only coincidentally happens to coincide with christian tradition. See?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm a GIRL!!!!!!!!!! u want proof, huh, huh? i am the f*cking proof!!!!!!
T'was a joke. I don't care what gender you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••