Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138777 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
In the past I lived in a couple of places with some neat zoos. Sunday morning would often find me and my family at the zoo, spending a good while just walking around and kind of communicating with the animals, or just being friendly observers. People tend to be sympathetic to the larger creatures confined, but then how else could you see and experience them.
Most in the viewing public would just regard them, while you always had those that try to get a reaction from them. Especially around the monkey cages. You can learn a lot about people by watching them around the animals.
The Creator of all things has provided Topix as a zoo to observe animals in the wild, so to speak. In this case a place for Topix atheists to come out of the shadows and screech. A place to manifest themselves to their fullest.
Fortunately, there are no dietary restrictions or social conventions to be followed in getting them to perform on here. Don't feel guilty giving them empty peanut shells. They would rather screech than eat.
Oh dave, the majesty of your prose is nearly arousing.

Location hidden

#138778 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i did webcam with a poster before, but that was only coz i was infatuated with him, that's who i came back for on topix.
i don't trust any of u, so why would i show u my pic and also u a girl so what's the point of showing u?
u really chinese?
Your a dude clementia. It's ok. I'm a dude too.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#138779 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
don't call my belief irrational, Thor makes perfect sense to me! look at him from my perspective, then u will become gay!!hehehehehehehehee
if i believe something created us, why is that an irrational belief?
Because there's no evidence to back up that claim.

Look, I hold to the fact that people are allowed to have their own beliefs, but not their own facts. Plenty of people I hang out with believe that something somewhere set evolution in motion and thus in a way created us.

I can't disprove the deist position on the origin of the universe. It is possible that some kind of godly entity interfered a very long time ago and set evolution in motion. I find it highly unlikely, but I can't rule it out.

But there are some things about life on Earth we know for a fact. We know the Earth is more than 10.000 years old. We know different species evolved over the course of millions of years. We know the world wasn't created in 6 days.

These are facts.

Just like the fact that the grass is green.

Of course you can stand there and tell me the grass is pink and god created the earth in 6 days, but then I do get to point out that you're wrong.
If a person who has an irrational belief, is respectful to u and your belief/disbelief, why can't u tolerate thier belief??
Creationism to me became an issue when christians tried to pretend it was science.

It isn't. Never was, never will be.

Faith and science should be kept apart and as long as creationist want to teach intelligent design in science classes I will b*tch about it.

Religious education does NOT belong in biology lessons.

Other than that I tolerate plenty of irrational beliefs, including one of my friends' belief that he has a magic pair of socks that helped him pass his exams.

It's not like I hate everyone that believes in a supernatural entity, but all too often religious people start talking to atheists just to tell them science is wrong, they're going to burn in hell and religious people are much nicer and cooler than atheists will ever be.

You'll understand if we get a little defensive, right?

Location hidden

#138781 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.
It may not have been the intention from the beginning to have Topix developed, but rather as an adaption to things that have developed. A deity can roll dice if one chooses to do so. It is not obligated to have a pre-determined outcome of its creations. It may very well have ultimate control over the destiny of those creations, but it may just very well enjoy surprises. How many times have you wound up a toy to see what it does, and it was up to you whether you kept it falling off the table top or not?
It is YOUR assumption creations are made for a serious purpose.
Someone mentioned mouse traps last night. The best mouse traps are glue traps. Put a little bait on the glue, and pick up at your leisure later. A mouse can see another stuck and will get stuck doing the same thing. Neat thing about bait, the vermin come to it.
Dave, what if you're the deity, and you erased your memory and then created topix to surprise yourself?

http://epicbzzboy3.deviantart.com/art/Conspir...

Click that, dave. You'll like it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#138782 Nov 18, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't fair, young lady.
Some respect must be earned. I don't respect every belief out there. I respect the right for people to have beliefs, but not necessarily the beliefs themselves.
Do you respect the belief that beating children is the only way to discipline them? I don't.
I WAS JOKING, U BANANA!!!

i said spanking kids is WORNG and i said we need to discipline them with love!!!

in england we not allowed to hit kids in school anymore, but i felt so bad in india, when kids were hit infront of my eyes. I remember i burst out crying when one of the teachers hit a student really hard with the blackboard cleaner stick (i don't know what it's called). I went to the head teacher and complained and she said "my dear this is india not england, u shouldn't work here if u can't handle it"! i just wanted to slap some sense into that bitch!!!!

Location hidden

#138783 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
Gosh, I don't get it, why try to fool God and pretend that the chapters you don't approve of really are not even in the Bible, when in fact God intended them to be there.
Is it a safe assumption then that you take the hard line on shellfish?

Location hidden

#138785 Nov 18, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Why should irrational beliefs be "respected"?
<quoted text>
Why not?
<quoted text>
Because there is no objective evidence to support the belief.
<quoted text>
Because I see no reason to tolerate irrationality.
there's no evidence to show there isn't a God!

u're just a meany then!:(

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#138786 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i said spanking kids is WORNG and i said we need to discipline them with love!!!
in england we not allowed to hit kids in school anymore, but i felt so bad in india, when kids were hit infront of my eyes. I remember i burst out crying when one of the teachers hit a student really hard with the blackboard cleaner stick (i don't know what it's called). I went to the head teacher and complained and she said "my dear this is india not england, u shouldn't work here if u can't handle it"! i just wanted to slap some sense into that bitch!!!!
WORNG WORNG WORNG

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138787 Nov 18, 2012
Tim you have to remember Dave is a lol hehehe deist who tells people if they don't believe in Christ they go to hell. Lmfao lulz!

Oops sorry :))
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I actually just watched one of her videos the other day. It looked like an interesting place. Some people were doing some pretty wack stuff, but if they like it, so what? They're not hurting anyone.

Location hidden

#138788 Nov 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Your a dude clementia. It's ok. I'm a dude too.
i'm a GIRL!!!!!!!!!! u want proof, huh, huh? i am the f*cking proof!!!!!!

Location hidden

#138790 Nov 18, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, before you even HAD children, you and your wife were discussing where and how you would hit them? That's really bizarre, man (and I use the term charitably).
I have bad news for you: You may be going to hell when you reach the end of the trail.
http://www.secularnewsdaily.co m/2010/02/christian-parents-bi blically-beat-child-to-death-f or-mispronouncing-word/

It's kind of a tradition.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#138792 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you joking when you called Drew a bigot?

I used the child abuse thing as my example of a belief that you probably wouldn't respect. I don't respect many religious beliefs. Some of them are extremely harmful to society. I feel an obligation to speak out against the manifestation of those beliefs. If people could just believe things without ever acting on them, I wouldn't bother criticizing them.

You get it?

Location hidden

#138794 Nov 18, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Tim you have to remember Dave is a lol hehehe deist who tells people if they don't believe in Christ they go to hell. Lmfao lulz!
Oops sorry :))
<quoted text>
No, dave doesn't believe in any particular god, he simply uses his magnetic dousing rod to show him the truth, which only coincidentally happens to coincide with christian tradition. See?

Location hidden

#138795 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm a GIRL!!!!!!!!!! u want proof, huh, huh? i am the f*cking proof!!!!!!
T'was a joke. I don't care what gender you are.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#138797 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Your post is simply a lie.
You have yet to give respect based on it being earned. You simply decide the side and respect your beliefs which spill from the mouths of others. You are a bigot and an intolerant bigot, but one who wants your beliefs to be respected while denying others beliefs.
Your example is just dumb, and only comes from you, since no one said such a thing.
Okay: Do you respect the belief that gays having sex with children is the only way to breed more gays? I don't.
I respect your right to seek professional help for your many personality disorders.

Location hidden

#138798 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Because there's no evidence to back up that claim.
Look, I hold to the fact that people are allowed to have their own beliefs, but not their own facts. Plenty of people I hang out with believe that something somewhere set evolution in motion and thus in a way created us.
I can't disprove the deist position on the origin of the universe. It is possible that some kind of godly entity interfered a very long time ago and set evolution in motion. I find it highly unlikely, but I can't rule it out.
But there are some things about life on Earth we know for a fact. We know the Earth is more than 10.000 years old. We know different species evolved over the course of millions of years. We know the world wasn't created in 6 days.
These are facts.
Just like the fact that the grass is green.
Of course you can stand there and tell me the grass is pink and god created the earth in 6 days, but then I do get to point out that you're wrong.
<quoted text>
Creationism to me became an issue when christians tried to pretend it was science.
It isn't. Never was, never will be.
Faith and science should be kept apart and as long as creationist want to teach intelligent design in science classes I will b*tch about it.
Religious education does NOT belong in biology lessons.
Other than that I tolerate plenty of irrational beliefs, including one of my friends' belief that he has a magic pair of socks that helped him pass his exams.
It's not like I hate everyone that believes in a supernatural entity, but all too often religious people start talking to atheists just to tell them science is wrong, they're going to burn in hell and religious people are much nicer and cooler than atheists will ever be.
You'll understand if we get a little defensive, right?
Hi Nikki, nice 2 meet u!!:)

u do know that i'm sikh and i might become a scientist? I don't hate science, i find it very interesting and i love it.

no, sikhism doesn't know how the world was created, but it has a good guess and stops there.

absolutely, religion was not written to teach u science! science needs proof, faith doesn't!

i understand 100%, i've been on the firing end too, it's horrible!!

i still believe in santa, i hope u can tolerate that!:)

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138799 Nov 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, what if you're the deity, and you erased your memory and then created topix to surprise yourself?
Click that, dave. You'll like it.
Don't even think such a thing!!!

I will deny being a deity even if proven to be so. I just will not accept being responsible for those I encounter on Topix. I absolutely refuse, do you understand!?

Never, never bring up that topix again.

Location hidden

#138800 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Tim, what if you're the devil, and you erased your memory and then created Topix to try to get more kindle for the hell fire?
Click that, Tim. You'll like it.
Hollow, sad troll or clever marketing for the Kindle Fire HD? You decide!

Location hidden

#138801 Nov 18, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you joking when you called Drew a bigot?
I used the child abuse thing as my example of a belief that you probably wouldn't respect. I don't respect many religious beliefs. Some of them are extremely harmful to society. I feel an obligation to speak out against the manifestation of those beliefs. If people could just believe things without ever acting on them, I wouldn't bother criticizing them.
You get it?
yh i was joking, do u really think i would call him that from the bottom of my heart? nah! I WAS MESSIN!!!

i don't believe in any bad religious belief, all i believe in is 1 God, THAT'S IT!!!

U think with me being vegetarian, i'm happy seeing animal sacrifice?? but what can we do, people r sooooo stupid, they not going to change!

I get it, I got it ever since i read my GGS!!!

Location hidden

#138802 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Is it a safe assumption then that you take the soft line on pedophilia and bestiality?
I am not sure what this has to do with anything. It was clear that you were spouting off that pro bible rhetoric with the intention of using the bible to condemn homosexuality - I was only curious if you also agree with the bible's condemnation of shellfish. If you do, then you would still be a bigot, but at least you would be a consistent bigot. But I'm sure you don't, and that all your posturing about following the bible to the letter is really just your way of justifying your bigotry.

Begone troll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 min QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 9
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 25 min J RULES 23,244
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr Even Steven 2,607
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr Richardfs 166
God' existence 8 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 12 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr Mikko 1,452
More from around the web