Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138652 Nov 18, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist have to believe in evolution. They donít have a choice. A Christian doesnít have to believe it. Some do and some like myself donít. Itís completely optional to us.
I had it in high school but it was brief and we moved on.
Those that dedicate to a specific science major in college get more evolution indoctrination. Especially those in archeology, biology, anthropology.
My Son will soon graduate with his second graduate degree and this one will be in science. He had the evolution courses recently. And they failed at the university level to sway him to believe in evolution.
Tim, millions of people believe in it because they were taught that. And millions donít believe it like myself. We have been talking about whales lately. Thereís very sparse fossil evidence. Some fossils but not enough to show a transition from a deer to a whale.
Evolutionist will take one fossil, a jawbone and hand full of other bones then jump for joy. Claiming this is the link. The undeniable evidence. Theyíre going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that.
Human fossil evidence is even more sparse. A bone here, a fragment there, another fragment. Pile on top of that a lot of hype and you have evolution.
Even if we didn't have any fossil evidence at all, the evidence for evolution would still be overwhelming. And the fossil evidence is solid, anyway. How do you explain the fossil record without assuming that your god is a trickster? How do you explain the evidence from other scientific disciplines all converging at the same conclusion without invoking a trickster god?

I'm sure there are some people that believe it simply because they were taught that, but that doesn't mean that the evidence isn't there. Those that choose to dig a little bit deeper will find so much evidence for it that it simply makes no sense to deny it. Your disbelief, and your sons disbelief do not mean that evolution didn't happen. If anything, the higher education level that your son has attained coupled with his disbelief in evolution is nothing more than a real life example of just how much religious indoctrination can warp one's thinking.

Location hidden

#138653 Nov 18, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked for it, Timn
I know. I should have learned my lesson. I think you are right in your assessment of Mr. Turkey.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#138654 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, a giant leap of faith on their parts.
While the more rational of the species will understand from our observations and experience that SOMETHING has to fashion the environment in some sort of fashion.
Order does not come out of chaos unless a little law is laid down first.
As was pointed out by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, your god of the gaps is shrinking.

You, ken ham and ken hovind are more rational than the scientists in the video?

Location hidden

#138655 Nov 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad wanted to name me after his sister. SumTing
My last name is Wong.
He's not real good with English.
Sumting Wong?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#138656 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, a giant leap of faith on their parts.
While the more rational of the species will understand from our observations and experience that SOMETHING has to fashion the environment in some sort of fashion.
Ken Ham Responds to Bill Nye "The Humanist Guy"

Don't bother trying to Like or Dislike or leave a comment. As is normal for such 'christian' videos, "Comments are disabled for this video."

Why christians are so afraid of comments on their videos?
Thinking

Andover, UK

#138657 Nov 18, 2012
Good for you. But not enough for Crohn's.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd still use weed.

Location hidden

#138658 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://slutever.com/
San Francisco Sex Mecca
Enlightenment. Topix atheists should like this.
Open public streets to the playing out and glorification of fantasies. You be the judge. Take your children to watch.
I actually just watched one of her videos the other day. It looked like an interesting place. Some people were doing some pretty wack stuff, but if they like it, so what? They're not hurting anyone.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#138659 Nov 18, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>19Nov12.....
.....if you were 20% as hot as UrmaThurman and 500% as dumb, you would get your sugar daddy.
Ps:...as it stands, Urma is da envy of most women.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
i meant that i didn't fancy jack or the other actors, u silly! he's a good actor tho!

She's really not pretty to my eyes, i'm not jealous, i told u which women i thought were very pretty!

How can i be hot like her, when i have dark hair, eyes and an olive kinda complexion? everyone has a different look, i like the spanish, south american, north indian look!

i've had sugar daddies, but i'm to f*cking nice to use men! i feel bad taking gifts from men that i don't love!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#138660 Nov 18, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>19Nov12......
....does dis mean dat you have a husband now and dat you will have two husbands when you get married!!!
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
nooooooo, i meant don't tell my future hubby, that i'm clementia!!

and don't act innocent with me, u christians pick on me and tell me my faith is wrong too AND that i'm going to hell!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138661 Nov 18, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in deities and the vedas don't too. When i say God, I don't mean an old man sitting on a cloud!!I just believe there is something that created us, we can't have just created ourselves!!
The true sikh/hindu religion was very different when it first started. It was against all stupid supernatural rituals, but somehow greedy clever people always corrupt silly stupid people into believing in something, that isn't even written in the religious books!
You are a wise young woman.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138662 Nov 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I actually just watched one of her videos the other day. It looked like an interesting place. Some people were doing some pretty wack stuff, but if they like it, so what? They're not hurting anyone.
You think those are normal rational people, that have to act out like that?

That was done on public streets. Subsidized by the general public.

You did notice the commercialization of that, didn't you? They all had something to sell. With the aid of the local government.

Such things have always been done, but usually in private settings. Helps not to offend others, or keep them from taking their children to public places.

That is what happens when you empower freaks. They took over the local government, although a small minority of the people, and imposed their phreak on everyone else. I thought you hated religions for doing that.

You really think a guy walking on all fours with a tail sticking out of his bare asshole is a suitable personal expression for public streets? Or of the guy shoving his thing up another guy's ass? Or public demonstrations of brutality?

Perhaps you do.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138663 Nov 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Even if we didn't have any fossil evidence at all, the evidence for evolution would still be overwhelming. And the fossil evidence is solid, anyway. How do you explain the fossil record without assuming that your god is a trickster? How do you explain the evidence from other scientific disciplines all converging at the same conclusion without invoking a trickster god?
I'm sure there are some people that believe it simply because they were taught that, but that doesn't mean that the evidence isn't there. Those that choose to dig a little bit deeper will find so much evidence for it that it simply makes no sense to deny it. Your disbelief, and your sons disbelief do not mean that evolution didn't happen. If anything, the higher education level that your son has attained coupled with his disbelief in evolution is nothing more than a real life example of just how much religious indoctrination can warp one's thinking.
The automobile industry has evolved. We have evidence that it evolved over time in museums and personal collections all over the country. But each and every vehicle from the beginning to what we have now has been designed, blue printed, engineered and manufactured.

I have not dedicated my life to running around looking for evolutionary evidence. If Iím wrong about evolution and I acknowledge that is a possibility. I believe that every creature that has allegedly evolved has been designed and engineered.

Every engineer that designs something builds prototypes, experiments, refines, evaluates, adjust, makes changes, then has his design mass produced. Once itís mass produced more refining, evaluations, adjustment, tinkering, and remodeling occurs.

God is no different than any other engineer. Perhaps has built prototypes. Heís had lots of time to make adjustments and tinker with his design. Anyway you look at creation with evolution or without it. I believe God created the heavens and the earth, and all living things.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#138664 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You think those are normal rational people, that have to act out like that?
That was done on public streets. Subsidized by the general public.
You did notice the commercialization of that, didn't you? They all had something to sell. With the aid of the local government.
Such things have always been done, but usually in private settings. Helps not to offend others, or keep them from taking their children to public places.
That is what happens when you empower freaks. They took over the local government, although a small minority of the people, and imposed their phreak on everyone else. I thought you hated religions for doing that.
You really think a guy walking on all fours with a tail sticking out of his bare asshole is a suitable personal expression for public streets? Or of the guy shoving his thing up another guy's ass? Or public demonstrations of brutality?
Perhaps you do.
You seem to have some pretty detailed and vivid memories concerning this, Dave.

Tell me, Dave, just how many times have you visited the site, and how many times have you watched the vids?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#138665 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.
Speak for yourself.

Not for Catcher.

Catcher is nobody's instrument.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

(If perchance I have one.)

Long Beach, CA

#138666 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Now you're talking my language.

Long Beach, CA

#138667 Nov 18, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The automobile industry has evolved. We have evidence that it evolved over time in museums and personal collections all over the country. But each and every vehicle from the beginning to what we have now has been designed, blue printed, engineered and manufactured.
I have not dedicated my life to running around looking for evolutionary evidence. If Iím wrong about evolution and I acknowledge that is a possibility. I believe that every creature that has allegedly evolved has been designed and engineered.
Every engineer that designs something builds prototypes, experiments, refines, evaluates, adjust, makes changes, then has his design mass produced. Once itís mass produced more refining, evaluations, adjustment, tinkering, and remodeling occurs.
God is no different than any other engineer. Perhaps has built prototypes. Heís had lots of time to make adjustments and tinker with his design. Anyway you look at creation with evolution or without it. I believe God created the heavens and the earth, and all living things.
He's all yours, timn.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#138668 Nov 18, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Internet TROLL
Why do trolls do it?
I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.
Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.
For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.
Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?
Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!)
Trolls don't have friends. On the internet, because they interact with human beings, they can convince themselves that they are important, the centre of the universe - that, to them, is better than any friendship. Don't forget, the troll thinks he is always right, and therefore better than other folk. In real life, exactly the opposite applies. the troll has no friends and virtually no interaction with other people.
If he's a teen (many are), then he lives in his bedroom, trolling, playing computer games with 'friends'(who he doesn't know at all), and joining roleplay sites, where - of course - he is a hero, or a powerful villain, who is respected in an inverse ratio to the respect he feels for himself.
If he's an adult, then he has serious social issues. He may work, where people think he's a weirdo, and avoid him, he may sponge off his parents or be 'looking for work', which means he blames everyone for his problems. Except himself.
Most people who are out of work are nothing like the stereotype; most want to work, and gain their self respect through work and being part of the world; but the troll IS the stereotype whining scrounger, to whom the world owes a living.
Sex Life
Almost every troll is male; I don't know why this is.
The troll has few social skills, and most have never had a girlfriend, many never will.
There's a clear pattern among trolls; they are much more likely to ignore posts known to be from women. And when they do respond to women, they are much more likely to be brief, abusive, condescending and patronising.
This is almost certainly more due to fear than misogyny - they just don't know any women. Except Mom. But their attitude rather reduces their chances of reproducing, which is probably a good thing.
19Nov12.....

.....For someOne with a BLACK moniker who is Not a True member of TOPIX Forums.....BobLoblah has you 'responding'...ya hateful, hypocritical, hAtheist.

Ps:....and schidt-For-Brains.

ALL you eeejits readUP on BobLoblah's postings. Bar NONE.

Ven it comes to you 'christianitySnivel'.....BobLo blah dinks dat there's more brains in a bottle of wadda.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#138669 Nov 18, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
here are all the answers,babe
www.google.com
19Nov12.....

.....you're just annudder 'Troll-op'.

Your BLACK moniker only confirms dat you have been 'tossed' out of TOPIX Forums so ofter dat you have become toooooooooooo lazy to startUP annudder account.

Ps:....In da same class as yer udder schidt-for-brains eeejit buddies.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#138670 Nov 18, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing sick and twisted about the fact that your God murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. Notice I said fact, not belief. If what your holy says is true, then this is all factual information. How can you possible worship a being that kills little babies? Oh, and he thinks that owning another human being and being able to beat him with a rod is absolutely ok. You'd be much better off worshipping Haniman the monkey God.
19Nov12.....

.....Your abortion clinics aren't dooooing toooooo bad.

Ps:.....You otta know. You have da brains less dan dat of a monkey. You have schidt-for-brains.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#138671 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
I humbly suggest religious stop picking on atheists, gay people and religious people that have a different religion then. After all if none of us have free will and all our actions are determined by god then we are all acting out god's will.
All of us.
Including those of us who are acting out god's will by raping and murdering children.
<quoted text>
Can I jus point out here that there is a bit of a difference between a toy and a human being?
Really your idea of god playing chess against himself and sacrificing humans because he feels like it does not cast your creator in a favourable light.
<quoted text>
No, it was yours. You said god created Topix for a purpose and, serious or not, this means he made the human creator of Topix make Topix.
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting humans are god's vermin and he's killing us at his leisure? this actually makes more sense than a kind benevolent god. Even though statistics indicate your god is pretty bad at exterminating us.
19Nov12.....

.....How many years are you in Kindergarten???

Ps:....Jest wait until you get outta yer backYard.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min woodtick57 2,357
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Thinking 23,201
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr Thinking 150
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 7 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 17 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 18 hr Thinking 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web