Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138632 Nov 18, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Here I'll throw you a peanut.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

:-)

Location hidden

#138633 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
You just had to ruin a perfectly intelligent, if rather patronising, post by implying god created Topix, didn't you?
Did your creator also provide us with the steam engine and the weel?
Everything that exists in this physical existence is a derivative of an original action.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#138634 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything that exists in this physical existence is a derivative of an original action.
In your post you suggest god created Topix for a specific purpose. That means he intended to create it.

If that's true than he's basically using humans to create the things he wanted to have on Earth.

And that ultimately means whoever created Topix had no free will. God intended for him to create Topix therefore he had to create Topix.

This seems to me to be a very sad way to view the world. Do you leave any room for human ingenuity and creativity?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#138635 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
In your post you suggest god created Topix for a specific purpose. That means he intended to create it.
If that's true than he's basically using humans to create the things he wanted to have on Earth.
And that ultimately means whoever created Topix had no free will. God intended for him to create Topix therefore he had to create Topix.
This seems to me to be a very sad way to view the world. Do you leave any room for human ingenuity and creativity?
That is an excellent wording of something they have no answer for. To them, everything is a contradiction and only contradictions are real.

Location hidden

#138636 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
You just had to ruin a perfectly intelligent, if rather patronising, post by implying god created Topix, didn't you?
Did your creator also provide us with the steam engine and the weel?
Speaking of "wheels".

The first wheels weren't those rolling thingies you are familiar with. They were actually spokes used to drag loads over rough ground. Slow, but they worked.

Take two logs and tie them together at the top, then put a cross brace near the bottom. You make an "A" frame. With the bottom digging into the ground, and a rope tied to a sled or travois, you pull on the tied top and gain mechanical leverage. The rising cross brace lifts the end of the sled, reducing friction, and at the same time causes gravity to pull the load toward the bottom of the tip, like what happens with a pendulum. Beats hauling a huge chunk of mastodon on your shoulders home for dinner. Worked over all sorts of terrain, uphill and downhill, even in the mud with modifications to the base tips. This evolved into multiple A frames that turned into a spoked wheel looking thingy. You just crossed longer logs and the brace became an axle. Then two guys could pull or push the tips. Then it was learned that animals could pull on the axle. However the leverage gain was cut in half. But it was faster. Then paved roads were developed.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#138637 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
The really amusing reality of this zoo is that the Topix atheists believe they are visiting a zoo.
The complete idiots guide to atheism

&fe ature=watch-vrec

Location hidden

#138638 Nov 18, 2012
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.

It may not have been the intention from the beginning to have Topix developed, but rather as an adaption to things that have developed. A deity can roll dice if one chooses to do so. It is not obligated to have a pre-determined outcome of its creations. It may very well have ultimate control over the destiny of those creations, but it may just very well enjoy surprises. How many times have you wound up a toy to see what it does, and it was up to you whether you kept it falling off the table top or not?

It is YOUR assumption creations are made for a serious purpose.

Someone mentioned mouse traps last night. The best mouse traps are glue traps. Put a little bait on the glue, and pick up at your leisure later. A mouse can see another stuck and will get stuck doing the same thing. Neat thing about bait, the vermin come to it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#138639 Nov 18, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. I'll never be good with the birds and the bees talk either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VU4Q-B2UvX8XX
are u gay? when did that happen? i thought u were straight!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138640 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Which is indicative of your poor education, likely Junior high school at best.
Here is some basic stuff, for some one as baseless as you.
Whales are large, intelligent, aquatic mammals. They breathe air through blowhole(s) into lungs (unlike fish who breathe using gills). Whales have sleek, streamlined bodies that move easily through the water. They are the only mammals, other than manatees (seacows), that live their entire lives in the water, and the only mammals that have adapted to life in the open oceans.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/wha...
Life in an aquatic environment is difficult without gills. Diving for food and having to hold their breath gives them very little time to search for prey, especially the Sperm whales which has to dive sometimes a mile deep to find it's food. Giving birth underwater is a risk to the newborn, he must be brought to the surface for his first breath. Whales propel themselves throughout the water with an up and down flexing of their spine, not the most efficient way of moving throughout the water, they even lack a dorsal fin to help stabilize them. They have adapted well to their environment thanks to evolution, but they were NOT created for a life in the ocean rather for life on land like most mammals. For those who insist on the magical fairytale that God designed all life, then we can only conclude from this that is A,) Your God is an incredibly inept designer. B.) he has a bizarre sense of humor. C.) He really just doesn't give a shit. or C.) There is no such thing as God. I chose C. Now that you have bee totally educated as to the flawed design of all Whales, why don't you simply piss off!!!

Location hidden

#138641 Nov 18, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The complete idiots guide to atheism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1CLjYHqfilEXX&feature=wat ch-vrec
Yep, a giant leap of faith on their parts.

While the more rational of the species will understand from our observations and experience that SOMETHING has to fashion the environment in some sort of fashion.

Order does not come out of chaos unless a little law is laid down first.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#138642 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationism by Lewis Black

&fe ature=related
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138643 Nov 18, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
All the great cartoons died with the old Warner Brothers toons.
You are absolutely correct!!! Those were works of art, painstakingly done one frame at a time, and really great situational comedy.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#138644 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Monty Python Crackpot Religions LTD

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#138645 Nov 18, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we did not. We even had a Hindu atheist on here a long while back, but he has since passed away, sadly. He said often you could be both atheist and Hindi.
I don't believe in any deities, so I wouldn't agree with any supernatural views you have, though.
I don't believe in deities and the vedas don't too. When i say God, I don't mean an old man sitting on a cloud!!I just believe there is something that created us, we can't have just created ourselves!!

The true sikh/hindu religion was very different when it first started. It was against all stupid supernatural rituals, but somehow greedy clever people always corrupt silly stupid people into believing in something, that isn't even written in the religious books!
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#138646 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of "wheels".
The first wheels weren't those rolling thingies you are familiar with. They were actually spokes used to drag loads over rough ground. Slow, but they worked.
Your point?

Did you mean to indicate that god has a lousy way of introducing his new creations to us, that he was figuring out the wheel as he went along and had no clue himself or are you changing your tune and saying that the wheel were created by humans who were continuously trying to improve the way they transported things?

Location hidden

#138647 Nov 18, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Hey I am trying to reach out to the Hindu community. I actually met Her and she was very sweet and surprisingly well spoken and knowledgable.
<quoted text>
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe heheeeeeeeeeeeeeee, good luck!

@kitten... i said i'm sorry, i was having a bad day and i lost it! give me a kit-kat!!!:)
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138648 Nov 18, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Have you thought of seeking treatment to help you with your sick and twisted hard kind of heart?
Nothing sick and twisted about the fact that your God murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. Notice I said fact, not belief. If what your holy says is true, then this is all factual information. How can you possible worship a being that kills little babies? Oh, and he thinks that owning another human being and being able to beat him with a rod is absolutely ok. You'd be much better off worshipping Haniman the monkey God.

Location hidden

#138649 Nov 18, 2012
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.....my wife is Indian. She is sweet, smart and sexy. She has long flowing hair, like you find only among Indian women. She can dance like a musical rhythm song come to life. We actually went there and got married in front of her family and in her church. You have the tender heart and feminine wisdom that all men want and all women envy.
Fanaa was a very good film, Aamir Khan is the best indian actor!

Yh, long hair looks attractive, but only if it's above your hips and it's thick, tooooo long hair looks abit weird to me!

what part of india is your wife from?

awwwwwwww u so sweetie, sweetie! see, how can i not like this guy, look at the compliments he gives me, resistance is futile!! heheheheheheheee
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

#138650 Nov 18, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None. We are are all instruments of a greater will.
I humbly suggest religious stop picking on atheists, gay people and religious people that have a different religion then. After all if none of us have free will and all our actions are determined by god then we are all acting out god's will.

All of us.

Including those of us who are acting out god's will by raping and murdering children.
It may not have been the intention from the beginning to have Topix developed, but rather as an adaption to things that have developed. A deity can roll dice if one chooses to do so. It is not obligated to have a pre-determined outcome of its creations. It may very well have ultimate control over the destiny of those creations, but it may just very well enjoy surprises. How many times have you wound up a toy to see what it does, and it was up to you whether you kept it falling off the table top or not?
Can I jus point out here that there is a bit of a difference between a toy and a human being?

Really your idea of god playing chess against himself and sacrificing humans because he feels like it does not cast your creator in a favourable light.
It is YOUR assumption creations are made for a serious purpose.
No, it was yours. You said god created Topix for a purpose and, serious or not, this means he made the human creator of Topix make Topix.
Someone mentioned mouse traps last night. The best mouse traps are glue traps. Put a little bait on the glue, and pick up at your leisure later. A mouse can see another stuck and will get stuck doing the same thing. Neat thing about bait, the vermin come to it.
Are you suggesting humans are god's vermin and he's killing us at his leisure? this actually makes more sense than a kind benevolent god. Even though statistics indicate your god is pretty bad at exterminating us.

Location hidden

#138651 Nov 18, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>19Nov12.....
.....'I don't need to act clever for any reason'.
Ps:.....So far BobLoblah believes you are dumb, but you have not proved dat you are hot.
...got any pictures!!!
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
lol

I love the compliments u give me!:-)

u dirty old man, haven't u got wife and kids? have some shame!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 8 min Uncle Sam 2,169
God' existence 2 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr Geezerjock 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr _Bad Company 1,436
Australia: black magic pervert retard 4 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 6 hr ChristineM 366