Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#138291 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I just gave you the window period in which it must have occurred - 6 to 2 million years ago.
HA! Oh, ha HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

"somewhere between 2 & 6 million years ago....

What a load!

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138292 Nov 17, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>I hit the link when read this, and you're right--it made me laugh and laugh. I'm sure you know, though, that Coyne doesn't talk like that. The "compression" begins with editing out unwanted sentences, not doubt, but continues by reducing the length of the pauses between sentences and words. Then the audio and video were sped up (there are tools for speeding up sound files without altering the pitch), resulting in the clip that we see.
Here's that link again:
http://www.thegodlessheathen.com/post/2012/9/...
And here's the lecture from which it was condensed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =w1m4mATYoigXX
I actually kind of like the compressed one--it presents the ideas at a speed that my mind appreciates.
Thank you, I did realize it was compressed, lol. I just wanted to have some fun with Tim, lol.

Southern Illinois

#138293 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
sweetie dear, but in your heart u already judged them!! am i wrong again?
Yes darling you are wrong. I learned a long time ago itís not my place to judge people into eternity. Judgment is reserved for God almighty.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#138297 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh i know, but she'll have to kill me to do that. I'm not living in a world that doesn't allow me to believe in my religion!!! The saints are the only people that are good on this planet, i'm never going to stop loving them, i'd rather die then live without love!!!!!!
If i can accept people not believing in God, why can't she accept people that believe in him? atheists are murders and rapists too, i don't say, OMG the atheist is a rapist coz he doesn't believe in God. Noooooooooooooo, he's a rapist coz he doesn't understand love!!!! Just coz people say they love God from their mouths, that doesn't mean they love him from their hearts!
I'm going to let Kitten handle this.

Southern Illinois

#138298 Nov 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't confuse eagle any further.
He is a basket case.
Do you know what that means, a basket case?
I realize that Iím one of your most admired posters. I do find you rather interesting. Why you felt the need to parade as two different posters is beyond me. Iím a little disappointed that you did that and continue to do so. Perhaps it was the sport of it all.

It destroys your credibility. Then all this tagging you do. Itís like you are seeking attention. Isnít that why young people tag vacant buildings? They want people to know theyíre there and that they have a message.

I just find it hard to believe a lawyer would spend his time doing this sort of thing. But who knows maybe you are a lawyer. In my mind the jury is out on that issue. Lots of people know about the law including court clerks. Who knows what you do for a living. Honesty from you would be refreshing.

I will admit I have chopped away at your over inflated ego. I do realize that you are not a evil person at least you have a love for animals. A lot of people who live in social isolation tend to be drawn to animals that donít disappoint them. In your real life you have faced perhaps some deep disappointments in relationships that left you heartbroken.

You are fiercely guarding your heart. Not letting anyone come close enough to break your heart again. We are all a product of our upbringing. How we were molded and shaped back in childhood has made us what we are today.
I hope you have the courage to love someone again. If you never do I shall understand the pain and agony cut deep into your heart.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138299 Nov 17, 2012
Well your imaginary play world is irrelevant.

And Catholics are Christians no matter how much scream with years rolling down your fat face.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the studies. I forgot about the studies.... The link also says: "There are, of course, also certain types of prayer whose efficacy can not be measured in the physical world"

Embrace the grey.

#138300 Nov 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not a dirty meaning.
Tide, you explain it to Clementine.
@Clementia:

Smoking after sex occurs when there is so much friction, the pubic hair dries out and starts to smoke, and has on occasion, caught fire. Shaving the pubic hair prevents this, and is a safety measure that nobody should overlook.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#138301 Nov 17, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
@Clementia:
Smoking after sex occurs when there is so much friction, the pubic hair dries out and starts to smoke, and has on occasion, caught fire. Shaving the pubic hair prevents this, and is a safety measure that nobody should overlook.
You forgot about using a water based fire reduction system ,
(KY jelly). Or you could just use the cave man method (spit in it).
HA ha hah!

Embrace the grey.

#138302 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that Iím one of your most admired posters. I do find you rather interesting. Why you felt the need to parade as two different posters is beyond me. Iím a little disappointed that you did that and continue to do so. Perhaps it was the sport of it all.
It destroys your credibility. Then all this tagging you do. Itís like you are seeking attention. Isnít that why young people tag vacant buildings? They want people to know theyíre there and that they have a message.
I just find it hard to believe a lawyer would spend his time doing this sort of thing. But who knows maybe you are a lawyer. In my mind the jury is out on that issue. Lots of people know about the law including court clerks. Who knows what you do for a living. Honesty from you would be refreshing.
I will admit I have chopped away at your over inflated ego. I do realize that you are not a evil person at least you have a love for animals. A lot of people who live in social isolation tend to be drawn to animals that donít disappoint them. In your real life you have faced perhaps some deep disappointments in relationships that left you heartbroken.
You are fiercely guarding your heart. Not letting anyone come close enough to break your heart again. We are all a product of our upbringing. How we were molded and shaped back in childhood has made us what we are today.
I hope you have the courage to love someone again. If you never do I shall understand the pain and agony cut deep into your heart.
Eagle. You're batshit crazy.

Embrace the grey.

#138303 Nov 17, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot about using a water based fire reduction system ,
(KY jelly). Or you could just use the cave man method (spit in it).
HA ha hah!
Safety first, then teamwork.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#138304 Nov 17, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:

As is yours.
And Catholics are Christians no matter how much scream with years rolling down your fat face.
How does one "scream with years"?

FYI, I'm Christian, not Catholic...

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#138305 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh, i read the koran when i was really young, i had f*cking nightmares!!! honest to God, i was scared!!
coz i went to christian primary school, we were always told good things about jesus. He was a good man who didn't harm anyone, so how can the Bible be bad then? Jesus even said to God, " Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." How can a man who is asking God to forgive his enemies be bad? I really don't get it.
Most people are good and kind, which is one of the reasons that so much emphasis is put on the more benevolent passages of each religion's scriptures that the more violent, vengeful, and judgmental passages are overlooked or quickly forgotten by those who follow the various credos that are based on them. Reading the Koran (Q'uran), you were taking it in with the same openness with which atheists read, resulting in the same level of shock and horror. But when you read the Bible, you probably do so with the image of a loving Jesus behind it, so it becomes necessary to ignore or obscure the darker parts.

But the dark parts are there, descriptions of horrors supposedly committed by YHWH written in more primitive times when such behavior was admired by savage warriors, tales of more savagery committed in the name of that childish bully of a god by its creators who, ironically, went on to become one of the most intelligent and enlightened peoples in human history in spite of the vile beginnings of their faith.

They did this by changing that faith to suit them better as they developed both as individuals and a society. Christians do much the same after their fashion by rejecting or soft-pedaling the cruelty and violence fond in the bible and replacing it with more modern oral traditions. How much of what you "know" about the Bible comes from the Bible itself and how much comes from what you've heard people--parents, preachers, friends, neighbors, TV evangelists--say about it? Be honest.

This is why so many have become atheists as a result of reading the Bible, believing that they already knew what it contained, shocked by what they had never been told, and why so many respond with a relentless skepticism that believers can neither understand nor respect.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#138306 Nov 17, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>You may be right. But having seen someone suffer from Crohn's I'd use worms when the steroids and immunosuppressants stop working.
I'd use weed.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138307 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not Atheism Doctor but militant Atheism. Not every Atheist is militant and embraces extreme hatred. My Father was a Atheist. A good peace loving man who would never degrade someone because of their faith.
Iím talking about militant Atheist when I make the comparison to Neo Nazis. When the Nazis started taking power in Germany. They began to harass the Jews first verbally. Then boycotting their business. Then personal harassment came through beatings.
Business were then stoned and burned. Followed by segregation. Finally millions were gassed to death and incinerated.
I see the hatred coming from militant atheist. The open bigotry and harassment. Today we have the intranet. They didnít have that in WW II. If they did the Jews would have first been harassed there by the Nazis.
Bigotry is bigotry and hatred is hatred and both flow freely in the Neo Nazis ranks and in militant atheist ranks.
Could you give me examples were these militant atheists harass Christians? besides here o the topic site. of course here it can't be considered harassment just conversation and an exchange of ideas.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#138308 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the Japanese "medical research" aka torture of patients was every bit as bad as the Nazis. I apologize. Those people should have been tried for crimes against humanity, along with the emperor. They weren't, and that was a failure of justice on the part of Western powers.
In terms of bacteria, you cannot live without them. Some of the genes that your immune system relies upon are only found in bacteria. Some of the genes that you rely upon for digestion are only found in your gut bacteria.
This is an example of "coevolution." We evolved with these bacteria. Since evolution is efficient, it will only allow for one set of genes in a system of gene pools (human + bacteria gene pools is our system), many of the genes were lost in the free living animal (us).
Yes, I understand.... bacteria and how it is important to all of us.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138309 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{the whale has a vertical shape to its spine much more adapted to running. Watch any land dwelling animal run and you will see EXACTLY the same motion as a whale moving throughout the water}.
Iím sorry Doctor I donít see any correlation with whales and land animals running. None what so ever. Neither am I aware of any land animals with blow holes.
Again it takes a stretch, I mean a hell of a stretch of the imagination to believe a deer or whatever animal was running near the ocean and then turned into a whale. Hey, itís your life, if you want to believe that, ok, but I just canít. Itís waaaaaaaaaaay too far fetched for me.
I'm sorry, you really shouldn't make such a ridiculous comment in a public forum like this. "A deer running near the ocean and it TURNED into a whale?" Is this really how you believe the process of evolution works? Seriously???

Yes I can see that you don't see the correlation between a running animal the the up and down flexing of a Whales spine as it moves throughout the water. I'm a bit mystified just why you don't. I think, or at least thought you possessed a modicum of intelligence. To that point, I have read your posts and still believe you are capable of intelligent thought, thats why I'm not so sure your acting the poe. Contrary for the sake of being country. It is very difficult for anyone to ignore the mountain of evidence for evolution. Don't you EVER accept information from people much more informed on a subject than yourself? Don't you do it in many phases of your life? The doctor, dentists, neurosurgeon, plumber, car mechanic? As I see it there are only two valid reasons for NOT accepting information from people much more informed that yourself. 1.) You're simply not intelligent enough to understand the information, or 2.) Your religious dogma will not let you accept something that is contrary to that doctrine. Which is it with you?

#138310 Nov 17, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Years rolling down your fat face?

Tears would have read much better... years makes no sense at all! When insulting people, or trying to, it is better to make sense.

Have you ever noticed that when someone is yelling at someone, or trying to belittle them, it is the one doing the yelling or belittling that looks like the bad guy?

#138311 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh i know, but she'll have to kill me to do that. I'm not living in a world that doesn't allow me to believe in my religion!!! The saints are the only people that are good on this planet, i'm never going to stop loving them, i'd rather die then live without love!!!!!!
If i can accept people not believing in God, why can't she accept people that believe in him? atheists are murders and rapists too, i don't say, OMG the atheist is a rapist coz he doesn't believe in God. Noooooooooooooo, he's a rapist coz he doesn't understand love!!!! Just coz people say they love God from their mouths, that doesn't mean they love him from their hearts!
And it is the heart kind of love that counts :)

#138312 Nov 17, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry, you really shouldn't make such a ridiculous comment in a public forum like this. "A deer running near the ocean and it TURNED into a whale?" Is this really how you believe the process of evolution works? Seriously???
Yes I can see that you don't see the correlation between a running animal the the up and down flexing of a Whales spine as it moves throughout the water. I'm a bit mystified just why you don't. I think, or at least thought you possessed a modicum of intelligence. To that point, I have read your posts and still believe you are capable of intelligent thought, thats why I'm not so sure your acting the poe. Contrary for the sake of being country. It is very difficult for anyone to ignore the mountain of evidence for evolution. Don't you EVER accept information from people much more informed on a subject than yourself? Don't you do it in many phases of your life? The doctor, dentists, neurosurgeon, plumber, car mechanic? As I see it there are only two valid reasons for NOT accepting information from people much more informed that yourself. 1.) You're simply not intelligent enough to understand the information, or 2.) Your religious dogma will not let you accept something that is contrary to that doctrine. Which is it with you?
Other way around, according to the experts;

*** Like the plants, animals evolved in the sea. And that is where they remained for at least 600 million years. This is because, in the absence of a protective ozone layer, the land was bathed in lethal levels of UV radiation. Once photosynthesis had raised atmospheric oxygen levels high enough, the ozone layer formed, meaning that it was then possible for living things to venture onto the land.

The oldest fossil evidence of multicellular animals, or metazoans, is burrows that appear to have been made by smooth, wormlike organisms. Such trace fossils have been found in rocks from China, Canada, and India, but they tell us little about the animals that made them apart from their basic shape.

http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/evolution/AnimalEvol... ***

Everything came from the sea......... if you believe it!!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138313 Nov 17, 2012
My imaginary world involves playing an MMO not letting women die by refusing them an abortion. Or holding back life saving scientific progress. Yes my next post was fixed it back to tears instead of years of course you didn't want to comment on that one but your desperation is duly noted. When one lacks facts, like yourself I suppose minor keyboard slip ups are all you can hang your pitiful hat on.

Sorry to have to remind you again but Catholics really are Christians. I know that's mind blowing to a half wit like you but trust me it is true.

BTW you are an idiot not smart enough to do yardwork properly.

Don't you ever get tired of getting factually crushed on here?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As is yours.
<quoted text>
How does one "scream with years"?
FYI, I'm Christian, not Catholic...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr MUQ1 23,041
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 5 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 10 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 10 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 19 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Our world came from nothing? 22 hr _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE