Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138271 Nov 17, 2012
Of course you don't.

:)
;)
:D
:d
;P
:()
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON'T GET IT?? I SAID U WERE FISHY, NOT ME!!
AND STOP THINKING WRONG! U SILLY DIRTY FISH!!!!!!!
Liberty guy, have u seen the light or something? Have u finally understood hindus believe in 1 God? lllllllllol :)

Lexington, KY

#138272 Nov 17, 2012
You are already in hell. To purposely live in such ignorant darkness and fight to remain there is a sure definition of hell.

Btw you know the concept of hell and even the name hell was stolen from the Greek gods right?

The NT writers couldn't even come up with a new name!

Sheesh!
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweets, I do love everyone on this site. How could I say I hate them when I really donít.
I do my best to not tell people theyíre going to hell. Itís not for me to judge people where they are going.
2 Peter 3:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138273 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle...there were atheists before the theory of evolution existed. It's not a requirement for disbelieving in silly imagined deities.
I could explain to you each and every fossil hominin, what evidence was used to place it, why and how professionals do that.
But each time I take the time to explain it to you, it falls on deaf ears. You are willfully ignorant. As Timn writes, anything that contradicts your beliefs is white noise, no matter how rational, logical, evidence based.
Which means you really don't think like we do. It's like you're living in a different universe where the rules of logic don't apply. You're an example of what Sam Harris means when he says (something like) "you cannot reason with someone who doesn't respect logic or who cannot think rationally. They're not interested and they don't care."
I thank you for your deepest sincere thoughts. I dedicate the following scripture to you my love.

Romans 8:38-39
King James Version (KJV)

38. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39. Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138274 Nov 17, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
You are already in hell. To purposely live in such ignorant darkness and fight to remain there is a sure definition of hell.
Btw you know the concept of hell and even the name hell was stolen from the Greek gods right?
The NT writers couldn't even come up with a new name!
Sheesh!
<quoted text>
Go fishing.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138275 Nov 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How would low tech cultures know they were beneficial? Wouldn't that take a bit of modern scientific expertise and study to figure out?
Caution, your answer may be used against you,
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13...

I haven't got a clue why they would think so. Why did Christianity develop along the lines of worshiping one human sacrifice and a virgin birth? No idea. Culture is like that. People pick up on some idea and it becomes relevant to them.

The thing about low tech cultures is that they aren't stupid, Dave. The worm thing isn't any kind of science going on - these are just people who are constantly infected with parasitic worms. There's no getting away from infection, unless you have good sewers and pavement. So they have myths and magic that deal with worms. But people in low-tech cultures make deductive observations, too. They've come up with all kinds of medicines for ailments. The Luo actually have de-worming medication they make from herbs to control the worm population in their bodies. Unlike our medicine, though, theirs won't clear the body of parasites. They act to decrease the parasites rather than destroy them all.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#138276 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh shoot, i still don't get it!
does smoking have a dirty meaning?
No, not a dirty meaning.

Tide, you explain it to Clementine.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#138277 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
sweetie dear, but in your heart u already judged them!! am i wrong again?
Don't confuse eagle any further.

He is a basket case.

Do you know what that means, a basket case?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#138278 Nov 17, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I WILL poke you in the eye.
Easy on the eye.

Lexington, KY

#138279 Nov 17, 2012
No time for fishing my slow witted poster I am baking up lots of Ezekiel bread to do ate to churches! Want some? I use the actual bible recipe! Us atheists are not allowed to even so much as taste this holy inspired bread that your God commands you to eat.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go fishing.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#138280 Nov 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://slutever.com/
San Francisco Sex Mecca
Enlightenment. Topix atheists should like this.
Open public streets to the playing out and glorification of fantasies. You be the judge. Take your children to watch.
We know what Dave looks for while he's surfing.

Magnetic sluts.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#138281 Nov 17, 2012
Why?

I rather like sunsets.
Just Results wrote:
Nothing pleases me more than seeing the failures and worries of atheists.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#138282 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13...
I haven't got a clue why they would think so. Why did Christianity develop along the lines of worshiping one human sacrifice and a virgin birth? No idea. Culture is like that. People pick up on some idea and it becomes relevant to them.
The thing about low tech cultures is that they aren't stupid, Dave. The worm thing isn't any kind of science going on - these are just people who are constantly infected with parasitic worms. There's no getting away from infection, unless you have good sewers and pavement. So they have myths and magic that deal with worms. But people in low-tech cultures make deductive observations, too. They've come up with all kinds of medicines for ailments. The Luo actually have de-worming medication they make from herbs to control the worm population in their bodies. Unlike our medicine, though, theirs won't clear the body of parasites. They act to decrease the parasites rather than destroy them all.
Such deductions, over a long period of time are also behind some spiritual beliefs and morality, including gay sex.

Told you it would be used against you.

The idea behind the Christian virgin birth and sacrifice was God realized it was to big for us to see. Therefore it melded with us, imparting part of itself directly within human form that then had to deal with the physical world. God went slumming. This gave a face to the message it had been trying to pass on, but was too big and vague for mankind to see. God set man loose way back, and this was the way he tried to call some back home. Reuniting with the creative spirit.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#138283 Nov 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Such deductions, over a long period of time are also behind some spiritual beliefs and morality, including gay sex.
Told you it would be used against you.
The idea behind the Christian virgin birth and sacrifice was God realized it was to big for us to see. Therefore it melded with us, imparting part of itself directly within human form that then had to deal with the physical world. God went slumming. This gave a face to the message it had been trying to pass on, but was too big and vague for mankind to see. God set man loose way back, and this was the way he tried to call some back home. Reuniting with the creative spirit.
I reckon you would be stupid like that.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#138284 Nov 17, 2012
I was referring to his book "Crash"- disturbing but beautifully written.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Shanghai is much different now.
I'm not sure if he would approve or not but it's still here.
Thinking

Andover, UK

#138285 Nov 17, 2012
You may be right. But having seen someone suffer from Crohn's I'd use worms when the steroids and immunosuppressants stop working.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to argue in an upcoming paper that liking and not liking parasitic worms is cultural. Developed nations find them utterly disgusting, but many low-tech cultures believe they're essential for health.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#138286 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a confession, RR. I'm actually the actor, James Woods.
Oh, no! I feel a transformation happening!!!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo
James Woods is invisible to me...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#138287 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, those were pretty conclusive results. In each trial with good methodology - double blind studies - prayer has no results on those who don't know they're being prayed for.
For those who are being prayed for, and know it, they have slightly worse outcomes, presumably because they feel guilty.
However, if you pray for yourself, you have a slightly better outcome, equal to a weak placebo effect.
Ya, right, sure. Science has tapped into the supernatural effects of prayer & deemed them useless...

<<^^COUGH^^>> BULLSHIT!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#138288 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to encourage everyone to go to this site and listen to this son of a bit*h talk.
He is the fastest talking salesman I have ever heard in my life.
That bastard has to be on meth. Tim I started laughing and couldnít stop.
That as**ole has to be a auctioneer in real life.
Thatís the funniest thing I have seen in a while. This guy should be on Americas Funniest Videos.
You were doing this all as a joke right, cause you when over the top with humor.
I hit the link when read this, and you're right--it made me laugh and laugh. I'm sure you know, though, that Coyne doesn't talk like that. The "compression" begins with editing out unwanted sentences, not doubt, but continues by reducing the length of the pauses between sentences and words. Then the audio and video were sped up (there are tools for speeding up sound files without altering the pitch), resulting in the clip that we see.

Here's that link again:

http://www.thegodlessheathen.com/post/2012/9/...

And here's the lecture from which it was condensed:

I actually kind of like the compressed one--it presents the ideas at a speed that my mind appreciates.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#138289 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
wooooooooshhhhhh...WHACK!
"Hiding, what the hell?"
"RR, I just hit you with a whole lot of evolution!"
"Damn, that smarts girl, now git me a beer."
"Oh...ok."
"And a sammich!"
WHACK!
"Ouch! Hiding, what the hell?"
"I just hit you with a whole lot of evo..."
Well, shit, with THAT kind of evidence....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#138290 Nov 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok...first line in your first link:
"The efficacy of prayer has been the topic of various studies since Francis Galton first addressed it in 1872. Double-blind studies have failed to find any effect."
Yes, the studies. I forgot about the studies.... The link also says: "There are, of course, also certain types of prayer whose efficacy can not be measured in the physical world"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence for God! 2 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 2 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 11 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 13 hr tha Professor 76
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 13 hr Chiclets 23,039
Our world came from nothing? 15 hr _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE