Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,941 - 132,960 of 226,285 Comments Last updated 28 min ago
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#138205 Nov 17, 2012
I've only recently rejoined the fray but it smelt of Poe very quickly to me- thanks for the confirmation.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, Poe for sure.
But delightful nevertheless.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#138206 Nov 17, 2012
I don't *like*(unscientific, I know) the idea of infestation, but it certainly works for some.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Helminth worms, baby, the wave of the future :)
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#138207 Nov 17, 2012
But then the infections would form a power bloc against the cooperative bacteria and who knows where that would lead...

If you arranged all the bacteria in the world in a line, one of them would wriggle and spoil it.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we'd negotiate with "ok, but you have to do a better job fighting our infections for us."

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#138208 Nov 17, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc -blogs/oklahoma-judge-sentence s-teen-church-10-years-2049202 27--abc-news-topstories.html
Let the jokes begin!
Oklahoma Highway Patrol issued a Breathalyzer at the time, and although Alred was under the state's legal alcohol limit, he had been drinking underage.

Oklahoma's measure for underage drinking is 0.02 blood to alcohol content.

Most kids would rather go to church than jail. Church has boys and girls depending on his preference.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#138209 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh hell, you donít say, I use ďThe God DelusionĒ
by Richard Dawkins to steady my table.
But Dawkins book has another function. When we run out of toilet paper, I have to pull it out and rip off two or three pages and use it to wipe my a**. Its a little course but hey, that's atheism for you.
use bible pages as tobacco paper

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#138210 Nov 17, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you say that about someone's belief? Surely, the Bible can't be that bad!!!!!
good tobacco paper if it's the one with thin pages
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#138211 Nov 17, 2012
Similar opportunities for anal sex.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Oklahoma Highway Patrol issued a Breathalyzer at the time, and although Alred was under the state's legal alcohol limit, he had been drinking underage.
Most kids would rather go to church than jail. Church has boys and girls depending on his preference.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#138212 Nov 17, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Similar opportunities for anal sex.
<quoted text>
Not if I was there.

WTF. Who has car accidents to look for anal sex? Do you?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#138213 Nov 17, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if I was there.
It adds a whole new meaning to being "rear ended".

Then there's the tailgate party afterwards.

Where does it all end?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#138214 Nov 17, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It adds a whole new meaning to being "rear ended".
Then there's the tailgate party afterwards.
Where does it all end?
I WILL poke you in the eye.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#138215 Nov 17, 2012
Absolutely not my cup of tea, but JG Ballard had other ideas.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if I was there.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#138216 Nov 17, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad wanted to name me after his sister. SumTing

My last name is Wong.

He's not real good with English.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138217 Nov 17, 2012
Just as long as thy don't have to be choir boys! Hi-oh!

:)
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

#138218 Nov 17, 2012
Lol :)
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad wanted to name me after his sister. SumTing
My last name is Wong.
He's not real good with English.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138219 Nov 17, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> As do you. In my case it had more to do with disgust.
Are you disgusted in atheists?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138220 Nov 17, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
9 out of 10 Creationist's believe the brain is a vestigial organ.
They probably believe they only use 10% of it.

:)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138221 Nov 17, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are literally impervious to any information that conflicts with your world view. You've been given many, many good pieces of information on evolution and you just cover your eyes and basically say that since you don't understand it, it can't possibly be true. Cmon man. It's getting annoying. Waxing poetic about the beauty of the dolphins doesn't prove that they were designed (not to mention you completely ignored the information that contradicts your design hypothesis).
What??? No...but...I've been arguing the whole time they're evolved! What the hell???

(teasing)

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#138222 Nov 17, 2012
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Shanghai is much different now.

I'm not sure if he would approve or not but it's still here.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138223 Nov 17, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle didn't get that. But it was kind of funny to watch it from his "point of view," meaning that I didn't allow myself to see the obvious video editing.
Maybe that's what Eagle's like on meth?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138224 Nov 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist have to believe in evolution. They donít have a choice. A Christian doesnít have to believe it. Some do and some like myself donít. Itís completely optional to us.
I had it in high school but it was brief and we moved on.
Those that dedicate to a specific science major in college get more evolution indoctrination. Especially those in archeology, biology, anthropology.
My Son will soon graduate with his second graduate degree and this one will be in science. He had the evolution courses recently. And they failed at the university level to sway him to believe in evolution.
Tim, millions of people believe in it because they were taught that. And millions donít believe it like myself. We have been talking about whales lately. Thereís very sparse fossil evidence. Some fossils but not enough to show a transition from a deer to a whale.
Evolutionist will take one fossil, a jawbone and hand full of other bones then jump for joy. Claiming this is the link. The undeniable evidence. Theyíre going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that.
Human fossil evidence is even more sparse. A bone here, a fragment there, another fragment. Pile on top of that a lot of hype and you have evolution.
Eagle...there were atheists before the theory of evolution existed. It's not a requirement for disbelieving in silly imagined deities.

I could explain to you each and every fossil hominin, what evidence was used to place it, why and how professionals do that.

But each time I take the time to explain it to you, it falls on deaf ears. You are willfully ignorant. As Timn writes, anything that contradicts your beliefs is white noise, no matter how rational, logical, evidence based.

Which means you really don't think like we do. It's like you're living in a different universe where the rules of logic don't apply. You're an example of what Sam Harris means when he says (something like) "you cannot reason with someone who doesn't respect logic or who cannot think rationally. They're not interested and they don't care."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 58 min Patrick 42
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr Patrick 21
100% Faith Free 1 hr Thinking 11
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 408
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 902
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Patrick 54
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr MUQ1 21,499
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••