Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,821 - 132,840 of 224,576 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Land mammals predominantly move their tales from side to side. A deer is the same, with side to side movement but when alarmed it will raise itís tale up as a warning.
An exception might be the beaver which uses itís tale for swimming. A skunk will raise itís tale vertically in order to spray. There is no indication that whales evolved from neither skunks or beavers.
Whales and dolphins as you have previously pointed out have this very powerful specially designed tale that propels them forward with a up and down movement.
My question to you Doctor, where are the transitional fossils that show this spectacular change from a tale that moves from side to side to a whales that moves up and down?
One jawbone or one bone doesnít constitute a slew of transitional fossils. There should be hundreds of fossils that show each phase of the transition. But thereís not but a few sparse examples. Very sparse examples are known Doctor.
If you are going to win me over with evidence, it slim pickings out there Doctor.
Have you never wondered why a creature that spends its entire life in an aquatic environment doesn't have gills? You can deny the evolution of Whales but must face the fact that this may be one of the worst examples of design by your almighty designer. Billions of sea dwelling creatures, all marvelously designed for their environment (they evolved these design over millions of years) yet three species of mammals share the same environment with non of the designs the others have. Dolphins, Porpoises, and Whales all are air breathers. Very poor design for finding food, and giving birth. Newborns drown if the female doesn't get under it in time to bring it to the surface to breath. Sperm whales must hold theta breath to dive almost a mile down for food. It has very little time to hunt once down, very poor design.

You missed to point on the movement through the water. All fish and sharks swim with a side to side motion of the tail, an obviously superior action to move throughout the water, the whale has a vertical shape to its spine much more adapted to running. Watch any land dwelling animal run and you will see EXACTLY the same motion as a whale moving throughout the water. Couple that with the fully formed wrist bones found in the Right Whale, and the vestigial hind legs in most whales, and you have a species that was obviously a prior land mammal.

So if the evolution of whales if untrue, and there is simply way to much information to then contrary, then your Creator God is one terrible designed.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Land mammals predominantly move their tales from side to side. A deer is the same, with side to side movement but when alarmed it will raise itís tale up as a warning.
An exception might be the beaver which uses itís tale for swimming. A skunk will raise itís tale vertically in order to spray. There is no indication that whales evolved from neither skunks or beavers.
Whales and dolphins as you have previously pointed out have this very powerful specially designed tale that propels them forward with a up and down movement.
My question to you Doctor, where are the transitional fossils that show this spectacular change from a tale that moves from side to side to a whales that moves up and down?
Tall tales, eagle?
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Good on you... but sometimes, you can have a bit too much sport. No, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Shane Watson in second Test!
Game on!
As you can guess, Double Fine is on a sporting high

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes I think you are a cleverly disguised atheist troll.
Why? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was a world wide flood that covered everything to the highest peaks there had to of been a lot of arks floating around for all these religions to have survived. I'm sure there have been tons of local floods that seem to the people of that particular area the flood covered the world. Which would be the something behind the flood stories.
Or it could be that the story had some sort of metaphorical meaning? I don't know, I'm just saying.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Casey Luskin is the co-founder of Intelligent Design and Evolutions Awareness. He's on the Staff at the Discovery Institute. Try posting some articles by REAL scientists, not those who have been laughed out of existence by real scientists.
This is exactly what I have been talking about, 135,000 articles supporting the facts of evolution and not ONE presented to refute this fact. He has articles published in religious periodicals like the Christian Science Monitor, non in reputable peer review journals. There is NO science behind ID, you can't name one scientific discovery that came from ID and is accepted and supporters by mainstream science.
Read the whole article and you will see they never said the timeline, which a question, made it IMPOSSIBLE for Whales to have evolved from land mammals, only that they EVOLVED more quickly than previously thought.
Posting things from creationists only make you look --------I'll be polite....less informed!!!
The points made by whomever is merely discredited because they are associated with a different point of view?

I donít know this Casey Luskin personally Doctor. I look at the content of what was said and judge it accordingly. So I have went to find out about Casey,

{I am an attorney who works in Seattle, Washington as Program Officer in Public Policy & Legal Affairs with The Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture. Before pursuing law, I studied geology, devoting much of my time to studying evolution and conducting geological research at Scripps Institution for Oceanography}.

Heís no different than you Doctor, heís intelligent, accomplished, and studies outside of his discipline.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>14Nov12.....
.....Do you mean Noah and da Ark!!!
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Yes dear, but the hindu story is abit different. When I can remember it, I will tell you about it.:)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Or it could be that the story had some sort of metaphorical meaning? I don't know, I'm just saying.
Then the bible is not fact.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Have you never wondered why a creature that spends its entire life in an aquatic environment doesn't have gills? You can deny the evolution of Whales but must face the fact that this may be one of the worst examples of design by your almighty designer. Billions of sea dwelling creatures, all marvelously designed for their environment (they evolved these design over millions of years) yet three species of mammals share the same environment with non of the designs the others have. Dolphins, Porpoises, and Whales all are air breathers. Very poor design for finding food, and giving birth. Newborns drown if the female doesn't get under it in time to bring it to the surface to breath. Sperm whales must hold theta breath to dive almost a mile down for food. It has very little time to hunt once down, very poor design.
You missed to point on the movement through the water. All fish and sharks swim with a side to side motion of the tail, an obviously superior action to move throughout the water, the whale has a vertical shape to its spine much more adapted to running. Watch any land dwelling animal run and you will see EXACTLY the same motion as a whale moving throughout the water. Couple that with the fully formed wrist bones found in the Right Whale, and the vestigial hind legs in most whales, and you have a species that was obviously a prior land mammal.
So if the evolution of whales if untrue, and there is simply way to much information to then contrary, then your Creator God is one terrible designed.
{the whale has a vertical shape to its spine much more adapted to running. Watch any land dwelling animal run and you will see EXACTLY the same motion as a whale moving throughout the water}.

Iím sorry Doctor I donít see any correlation with whales and land animals running. None what so ever. Neither am I aware of any land animals with blow holes.

Again it takes a stretch, I mean a hell of a stretch of the imagination to believe a deer or whatever animal was running near the ocean and then turned into a whale. Hey, itís your life, if you want to believe that, ok, but I just canít. Itís waaaaaaaaaaay too far fetched for me.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{the whale has a vertical shape to its spine much more adapted to running. Watch any land dwelling animal run and you will see EXACTLY the same motion as a whale moving throughout the water}.
Iím sorry Doctor I donít see any correlation with whales and land animals running. None what so ever. Neither am I aware of any land animals with blow holes.
Again it takes a stretch, I mean a hell of a stretch of the imagination to believe a deer or whatever animal was running near the ocean and then turned into a whale. Hey, itís your life, if you want to believe that, ok, but I just canít. Itís waaaaaaaaaaay too far fetched for me.
You just don't pay attention to anything, do you? Unless it's in that book of fables, you don't even want to know it exists.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tall tales, eagle?
lllllol! You and eagle are toooo funny!

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Have you never wondered why a creature that spends its entire life in an aquatic environment doesn't have gills? You can deny the evolution of Whales but must face the fact that this may be one of the worst examples of design by your almighty designer. Billions of sea dwelling creatures, all marvelously designed for their environment (they evolved these design over millions of years) yet three species of mammals share the same environment with non of the designs the others have. Dolphins, Porpoises, and Whales all are air breathers. Very poor design for finding food, and giving birth. Newborns drown if the female doesn't get under it in time to bring it to the surface to breath. Sperm whales must hold theta breath to dive almost a mile down for food. It has very little time to hunt once down, very poor design.
{worst examples of design by your almighty designer}.

Here I disagree with you again. I think whales and dolphins are magnificent breathtaking creatures. They are the elite of the ocean creatures.

They tell me our submariners can hear them singing for hundreds of miles in the ocean. I donít know if they are singing the Blues or Country & Western. But theyíre damn sure singing some type of heartache song.

I just hate the thought of countries hunting these magnificently designed intelligent creatures. They have such beauty Doctor. They couldnít have been designed any better. Iím surprised Doctor at your statement and you being a seaman.
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

The bible is a fact. Without one, my garden table would wobble like a
bastard.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Padon me Miss and you are?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Holy cow, I meant Pardon me Miss.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't pay attention to anything, do you? Unless it's in that book of fables, you don't even want to know it exists.
Genesis 1

King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
lllllol! You and eagle are toooo funny!
[tipping hat and bowing]:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Kitten!:)

Is that your opinion? Or are you asking me for mine?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
The bible is a fact. Without one, my garden table would wobble like a
bastard.
<quoted text>
Oh hell, you donít say, I use ďThe God DelusionĒ
by Richard Dawkins to steady my table.

But Dawkins book has another function. When we run out of toilet paper, I have to pull it out and rip off two or three pages and use it to wipe my a**. Its a little course but hey, that's atheism for you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
{worst examples of design by your almighty designer}.
Here I disagree with you again. I think whales and dolphins are magnificent breathtaking creatures. They are the elite of the ocean creatures.
They tell me our submariners can hear them singing for hundreds of miles in the ocean. I donít know if they are singing the Blues or Country & Western. But theyíre damn sure singing some type of heartache song.
I just hate the thought of countries hunting these magnificently designed intelligent creatures. They have such beauty Doctor. They couldnít have been designed any better. Iím surprised Doctor at your statement and you being a seaman.
Sharks.

Sharks are often thought of as the felines of the sea, and rightfully so. Their diversity and capability in the water has made it possible for them to exist without much change over millions of years. They can kill almost anything, if they have the mind to, and even in a feeding frenzy manage to protect their own. They have been known to topple ships, and more myths about them are known to any sea culture. Even the fresh water sharks can take you out.

Let's not forget the giant squid.

Giant squids grow large enough to consume killer whales, those are the really big ones in case you don't know. Yet they maintain the agility of their smaller counterparts. Darting through the water like leaves in the wind.

Oh, but what about the piranha!

Love these buggers, capable of stripping a cow to the bone in minutes. They are ravenous fish, which swim faster than pretty much anything. They feed in packs, strategically stripping their prey by ripping it apart while they eat it, bite by bite. A single piranha is little to no threat, but a pack of them will devour anything.

You don't get out much, do you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 2 hr CunningLinguist 70,962
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 2 hr Reason Personified 27
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Reason Personified 255
Introducing The Universal Religion 5 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr Patrick 397
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr fadu singh 21,406
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr Electrical Engineer 842
•••
•••