Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138042 Nov 16, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>17Nov12.....
.....The 'Oil & Gas' business is the biggest and safest and high-salaried in the WholeWideWorld.
Nothing is FailSafe and sometimes schidt happens.
BP has been in existance for many, many years and BobLoblah has had the good fortune to work (on contract) for BP a few times around the world.
Yes, BP committed some errors in its operations in the Gulf of Mexico....and so has BroncoBama in its operations of protecting his citizens in Benghazi. BP has accepted full responsibility and is stepping forward to pay the price.
It should be noted that 'quite a few' local fisherman, especially shrimp fisherman, were compensated in 2010 and 2011 and 2012 without having to wait for this 'penalty sum' to come down. What they had to say includes wordings 'we made more each of these three years than we could have earned actually fishing and we didn't have to get up in the mornings to do so. It wouldn't be so bad if we had a blowOut every once in a while'.
These comments followed on the heels of Alaskan fisherman who garnished so much monies as a result of the Exxon Valdex's accident and spilling its cargo of crude. For years the local fishermen and their dogs were involved in cleaning up at top Dollars and today are retired millionaires. The area looks pretty clean toooooo.
Now, on the other hand, a few years later when there was 'another' supertanker that went aground off the coast of Scotland and spilled a 'Larger Cargo' than the Exxon Valdez, nobody heard much about it. Wanna know why, well it has to do with ALL the monies that environmentalists expect to make and pocket from the oil companies. In this case, NO oil company OWNED the cargo of oil. It was owned by speculators and these are money shifters who buy low and sell high (they even do it to their mothers). As such all the Greenpeacers and ILK had no time to expend to garnish no monies for their efforts. There was just nothing in it, even though there was MORE crude emptied into the seas than there was in Alaska.
Go figure.
Ps:....In addition, the Oil & Gas industry hires millions of people and is the sustanance of families around the WholeWideWorld.
BobLoblah knows. BobLoblah is von of dose toooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Iím a supporter of the oil industry as a whole. But in the real world I also know how failures happen. BP under the leadership of Tony Hayward caused a colossal disaster. He should have an 8 year sentence in federal prison.

Over the years in the Petro-Chemical business I participated in thousands of accident investigations. I also had the dubious honor of working with engineers of all sorts of disciplines.

Some engineers are just down right brilliant. Others are smart asses that you canít tell them anything. And if you did what they tell you. You would get killed along with a lot of others. Well thatís what happened to BP. Ignorant ass arrogant engineers calling the shots that lead to this conglomerate fiasco of clusterfu*ks.

The fines were too small and the criminal penalties should have gone all the way to the top. A lot of companies talk a good line on safety. But when it comes down to it, money and the love of money caused BP engineers to take shortcuts. You canít operate a deep water well thatís 18,000í deep like you would one that 80í deep.

PBS:

The cement slurry used to seal the well from hydrocarbons was weak and poorly designed.

Workers failed to spot problems in a pressure test.

"Critical components" of the blowout preventer weren't working.

Hydrocarbons passed undetected by the Transocean rig crew, through the blowout preventer and into the riser.

Immediate response was not fast or effective enough.

Three different methods for operating the blowout preventer in an emergency failed to seal the well.

Southern Illinois

#138043 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I swear at this point you are trying to be ironic on purpose.
Here eagle, I found a nice video for you. It sums up the theory of evolution very nicely, and is intended for the layman. Please have a look. I know that you will come back with another "durr, it's a fairy tale," but it's worth a shot.
http://www.thegodlessheathen.com/post/2012/9/...
I would like to encourage everyone to go to this site and listen to this son of a bit*h talk.

He is the fastest talking salesman I have ever heard in my life.

That bastard has to be on meth. Tim I started laughing and couldnít stop.

That as**ole has to be a auctioneer in real life.

Thatís the funniest thing I have seen in a while. This guy should be on Americas Funniest Videos.

You were doing this all as a joke right, cause you when over the top with humor.

Southern Illinois

#138044 Nov 16, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the problem is that you simply don't understand anything about morphology. For you, the science of bones looks like magical fiction. If you took a beginning anthropology course, one with a lab, or a zoology course on bones, or an archaeology course that dealt with info we get from bones, you'd have a much better understanding of why professionals would make the observations and inferences they make.
Right now it feels like you're stuck in the "sufficiently advanced techniques appear indistinguishable from magic" phase. I altered the quote, by the way.
Your right, even though I have watched ďTeenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesĒ a hundred times. I think itís still fiction.

I mean surly April, you donít believe these guys exist?

Southern Illinois

#138045 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
Here eagle, I found a nice video for you. It sums up the theory of evolution very nicely, and is intended for the layman. Please have a look. I know that you will come back with another "durr, it's a fairy tale," but it's worth a shot.
Where in the hell did you dig up that crack head, lol.

Southern Illinois

#138046 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
Tim, that son of bit*h had to have drank 15 cups of black coffee and two meth pipes before he gave that speech, lol.

Southern Illinois

#138047 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
You get my personal nomination for,ďThe Golden Primate Evolution Award,Ē for year 2012. for the funniest damn link ever on topix.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138048 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to encourage everyone to go to this site and listen to this son of a bit*h talk.
He is the fastest talking salesman I have ever heard in my life.
That bastard has to be on meth. Tim I started laughing and couldnít stop.
That as**ole has to be a auctioneer in real life.
Thatís the funniest thing I have seen in a while. This guy should be on Americas Funniest Videos.
You were doing this all as a joke right, cause you when over the top with humor.
It was a compressed and edited video - all the random filler was removed. It's tailor made that way on purpose - to deliver the most information in the shortest amount of time. I thought it would be perfect for you.

Location hidden

#138049 Nov 16, 2012
Although I can see how it would be pretty funny if you didn't know what was going on. I didn't know it was supposed to be like that at first.

Location hidden

#138050 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You get my personal nomination for,ďThe Golden Primate Evolution Award,Ē for year 2012. for the funniest damn link ever on topix.
Eagle read the damn description under the video. You should like the video - it's intelligently designed to be as efficient as possible with it's information.

Location hidden

#138051 Nov 16, 2012
But yeah, that video is pretty hilarious now that I'm watching it while pretending that I can't notice the editing on it.

Southern Illinois

#138053 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
I can say this for damn sure, you picked a winner, lol.

Location hidden

#138054 Nov 16, 2012
He makes several good points though. I'm assuming your not gonna watch it, so here are a few:

Why do human fetuses grow a coat of hair while in the womb only to shed it shortly before birth? Why would god make that happen?

Vestigal organs on whales - evidence of rear legs. Creationists apparently say that these bones are "penis struts," which is hilarious.

Why do we have (broken) genes that code for egg yolk?

Why do we have genes that code for vitamin c, even though our bodies don't actually make it?

Southern Illinois

#138055 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
I hope you don't mind but I'm going to forward this to my son who is teacher in Houston.

It's just too damn funny.

Location hidden

#138056 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can say this for damn sure, you picked a winner, lol.
Watch the video. I was trying to save you time by giving you a video with a lot of information - if it wasn't sped up and edited like that it would be a lot longer.

Location hidden

#138057 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you don't mind but I'm going to forward this to my son who is teacher in Houston.
It's just too damn funny.
Why would I care? It is kinda funny if you don't understand what's going on - but it's edited like that specifically so that people ignorant of the subject can get a lot of information in a short period of time.

Southern Illinois

#138058 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
He makes several good points though. I'm assuming your not gonna watch it, so here are a few:
Why do human fetuses grow a coat of hair while in the womb only to shed it shortly before birth? Why would god make that happen?
Vestigal organs on whales - evidence of rear legs. Creationists apparently say that these bones are "penis struts," which is hilarious.
Why do we have (broken) genes that code for egg yolk?
Why do we have genes that code for vitamin c, even though our bodies don't actually make it?
I've watched it two times and going to for a third. It's damn hilarious. It's not everyday I get a lesson from a caffeine freaked out meth head, lol.

Southern Illinois

#138059 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
Can you make him even go faster, lol!!!

Location hidden

#138061 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've watched it two times and going to for a third. It's damn hilarious. It's not everyday I get a lesson from a caffeine freaked out meth head, lol.
K good. Maybe he will talk some sense into you.. and eagle, you know it's sped up right? It's funny, but that's not his real voice...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#138062 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, you have more faith than I do. I just can't believe a wolf like animal was running in the ocean and then turned into a whale. Iím not going to belittle you my good man. You have just got all caught up in the evolutionary net of nonsense.
You inspired me to go and review the so called evidence. Just as I thought, someoneís wild and fantastic imagination. They take a fossil and magically associates it with whales. Itís a Carney high pitch sales job done on the public.
To believe in evolution one must believe in magic. Because that is what it would take for a four legged creature to morph into a whale. I donít mean to be disrespectful to you my good Doctor, but you believe in fairy tales.
Species Articles Glossary Time Periods Activities Top Lists

Rodhocetus

Name: Rodhocetus ( Rodho whale ).
Phonetic: Rod-ho-see-tus.
Named By: P. D. Gingerich, S. M. Raza, M. Arif, M. Anwar & &#8236;X. Zhou - 1994.
Classification: Chordata, Mammalia, Cetacea, Archaeoceti, Protocetidae.
Species: R. kasrani ( type ), R. balochistanensis.
Diet: Carnivore.
Size: A round 2.5 meters long.
Known locations: Pakistan.
Time period: Lutetian of the Eocene.
Fossil representation: Remains of 3 individuals.

Although not as well known as Pakicetus and Ambulocetus, Rodhocetus is nonetheless important to the study of how whales evolved from land animals. Rodhocetus is but one of a slowly but steadily growing number of transitional fossil genera, but in Rodhocetus the change can actually be seen across the species as well. The 2001 description of the second species, R. balochistanensis included recurved ankle bones which mean that the rear feet curved back towards the body. Later forms would take this progression with smaller rear limbs in line with the shape of the body until the point that the rear limbs were no longer visible. Study of Rodhocetus has also helped to establish an early origin of the mammals from artiodactyls like hippopotamuses rather than mesonychids like Mesonyx.
grendelll

Phoenix, AZ

#138063 Nov 16, 2012
It's difficult to understand why anyone would believe in an imaginary being, especially since all religions profess completely different and contradictory imaginary beings. But then I guess most people simple never grow up and jettison concepts of santa claus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr Richardfs 179
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Morse 2,625
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Morse 23,279
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Morse 5,960
faith & pride 3 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 6 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web