Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,761 - 132,780 of 226,536 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#138017 Nov 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
He's a clustertwat.
<quoted text>
Shane Watson in second Test!

Game on!

As you can guess, Double Fine is on a sporting high
Joker

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#138018 Nov 16, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to be totally honest with you guys. I am a retard. Unfortunately for me, there is no vaccine for this level of stupidity.

I apologise to all of you, normal people and godbots, for ruining this thread.
Finally... some honesty!!

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#138019 Nov 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I also love skipping his posts.
<quoted text>
I like it when Bob posts if I haven't been on in awhile. It makes it easy to catch up. Scroll, scroll, scroll.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#138020 Nov 16, 2012
Salt biscuit! Lmfao
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I have said similar myself,ďOh god, Oh god, Ohhhh goddddd
That does not mean I was praying, it just means I was deifying the man giving me the pleasure I needed.
Had I not been brought up with the word god, perhaps Allah or salt biscuit I would have used another word.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#138021 Nov 16, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"Grand imaginations" are one thing, observable evidence is quite something else. One on side we have piles of evidence, you can touch it, see it, study it, examine it from every angle, that would be the information of the evolution of Whales. On the other side we have....well, not much. We have the words that are contained in a holy book, a book who's authors we are not sure of. A book that is obviously completely ignorant on matter of science, and i this case evolutionary science. Yet you make the most unusual choice of ignoring factual information and settling with a book of unsupported ideas, Without meaning to be rude, I do believe this is called WILLFULLY IGNORANT. It takes a "Grand Imagination" to accept that mankind appeared after a mythical being scooped up some dirt and blew on it. Then yanked out one of his ribs and a fully formed women magically appeared.
My good Doctor, you have more faith than I do. I just can't believe a wolf like animal was running in the ocean and then turned into a whale. Iím not going to belittle you my good man. You have just got all caught up in the evolutionary net of nonsense.

You inspired me to go and review the so called evidence. Just as I thought, someoneís wild and fantastic imagination. They take a fossil and magically associates it with whales. Itís a Carney high pitch sales job done on the public.

To believe in evolution one must believe in magic. Because that is what it would take for a four legged creature to morph into a whale. I donít mean to be disrespectful to you my good Doctor, but you believe in fairy tales.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138022 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, you have more faith than I do. I just can't believe a wolf like animal was running in the ocean and then turned into a whale. Iím not going to belittle you my good man. You have just got all caught up in the evolutionary net of nonsense.
You inspired me to go and review the so called evidence. Just as I thought, someoneís wild and fantastic imagination. They take a fossil and magically associates it with whales. Itís a Carney high pitch sales job done on the public.
To believe in evolution one must believe in magic. Because that is what it would take for a four legged creature to morph into a whale. I donít mean to be disrespectful to you my good Doctor, but you believe in fairy tales.
I swear at this point you are trying to be ironic on purpose.

Here eagle, I found a nice video for you. It sums up the theory of evolution very nicely, and is intended for the layman. Please have a look. I know that you will come back with another "durr, it's a fairy tale," but it's worth a shot.

http://www.thegodlessheathen.com/post/2012/9/...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#138023 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I swear at this point you are trying to be ironic on purpose.
Here eagle, I found a nice video for you. It sums up the theory of evolution very nicely, and is intended for the layman. Please have a look. I know that you will come back with another "durr, it's a fairy tale," but it's worth a shot.
http://www.thegodlessheathen.com/post/2012/9/...
I know what you're thinking--nobody could be that much of an idiot.

But eagle is a complete blockhead. Incredible as it seems, I'm convinced he means what he says.

Lexington, KY

#138024 Nov 16, 2012
Him and Derek give my scroll wheel a work out or my iPhone screen sailing past long unread paragraphs :)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
At least he makes them recognizable at a glance.
Makes it much easier to scroll past.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138025 Nov 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Whilst you're espousing all things natural, please don't forget to thank your god for childhood leukaemia.
<quoted text>
I have a friend who's brother is a heart surgeon for children. He is an atheist. He says "if there is a God, why am I fixing children born with defective hearts, who would die without surgery?"

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138026 Nov 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Interesting link on estimating bacteria numbers: 5x10^30. That's nearly a thousand billion billion for each one of us.
http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et0998/et0998s8.h...
If they get the vote we will feel under represented.
<quoted text>
hahaha! Nice.

Bacteria would just vote for the status quo, they're doing pretty well.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138027 Nov 16, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, do creatards believe in soap?
I would guess they do, ever since the lye revolution!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138028 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Something tells me this isn't the best analogy to use with eagle.
Is there a good analogy to use with Eagle?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#138029 Nov 16, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a friend who's brother is a heart surgeon for children. He is an atheist. He says "if there is a God, why am I fixing children born with defective hearts, who would die without surgery?"
God fucksup in mysterious ways.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138030 Nov 16, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But I thought you were james woods? Now you're leia?
Uhm...hey! Look! Sunset!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138031 Nov 16, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I also love skipping his posts.
<quoted text>
Me too. Boblbbalahala, is like a spacer between potentially interesting and articulate posts.

Let's take bets as to what happened to him! I vote dropped into gasoline as a child.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#138032 Nov 16, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will maybe?

Or perhaps Satan.

Bad luck?

Retribution for sins of their fathers?

God busy with other stuff?

Part of the plan?

Location hidden

#138033 Nov 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you're thinking--nobody could be that much of an idiot.
But eagle is a complete blockhead. Incredible as it seems, I'm convinced he means what he says.
Sadly, I would have to agree. How great would it be if it turned out he was running a gag this whole time? It would be brilliant.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138034 Nov 16, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I read an article a couple of years ago that said one of the reasons we have mineral deficiencies now, and sometimes need mineral supplements, is that in pre industrial days, is that we don't eat enough dirt.
Back then, people ate vegetable pulled from the ground, maybe brushed them off or have them a quick rinse, and ate them.
That's interesting. It's possible. We eat three times less bacteria and have three times less bacteria in our guts than hunter-gatherers. That has effects on our immune system.

Location hidden

#138035 Nov 16, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a good analogy to use with Eagle?
He seems to like analogies in which he is a german shepard and the world is a chihuahua nipping at his glorious, aryan heels.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#138036 Nov 16, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the problem is that you simply don't understand anything about morphology. For you, the science of bones looks like magical fiction. If you took a beginning anthropology course, one with a lab, or a zoology course on bones, or an archaeology course that dealt with info we get from bones, you'd have a much better understanding of why professionals would make the observations and inferences they make.

Right now it feels like you're stuck in the "sufficiently advanced techniques appear indistinguishable from magic" phase. I altered the quote, by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Patrick 21,519
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 11 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••