Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,701 - 132,720 of 224,543 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If a deity exists and if that deity created the universe, he not only doesn't answer prayer, but he really, really loves parasites, bacteria and beetles, in that order.
Well it started out as a paradise. Walking around and having fun butt naked. Then you women decided to feed us men a fruit salad which happen to be made from the forbidden fruit. Then it all went to hell in a hand basket.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>16Nov12.....
.....it must be kinda cold now, what with both of you 'christineM' and 'sidingDumbPhew' living in yer car.
Ps:....how are da pissUps going!!!
BobLoblah can correctly suppose dat da sulphuric Acid enema given to ya did da trick.
....try it again, as you continue to have some schidt-for-brains remaining....
..and den, skip on over to da BBC and take part in one of 'dinKing's' kiddie porm shows.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
Hiya Blob , you ranting senseless again?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

I wonder if Tony Hayward got his life back after his company destroyed the eco system of the Gulf of Mexico.. The sad part of all this he should be locked up in one of our Gulf Coast Prisons. Since this site is about faith. I hope BP and other companies ďbelieveĒ they will get hammered if they fail to protect their employees and the environment.

The fine is a bit low. It should have been 15 or 20 billion. Like I said, itís disappointing Hayward didnít get charged with a felony.

The Wall street Journal.

#PLC agreed to accept criminal responsibility for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster that killed 11 workers and to pay $4.5 billion in fines and restitution, the biggest penalty ever levied by the U.S. Justice Department.

But the oil producer still faces an even costlier battle with the government over civil penalties for the pollution unleashed when the drilling rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico and caused the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

The oil damaged the region's important seafood and tourism industries, resulting in billions of dollars in lost revenue. For weeks, repeated efforts to stop the gushing crude failed, as underwater cameras sent the live images to TV viewers. Finally, almost three months later, the well was capped.

Under the agreement, BP said it will plead guilty to 11 felony counts of "seaman's manslaughter" relating to the deaths aboard the drilling rig, admitting that its workers were negligent when they misinterpreted a key well safety test.

The company also will plead guilty to one felony count of obstruction of Congress stemming from false information it gave about the rate that oil was leaking from the well.
In addition to the settlement Thursday, three former BP employees were charged by a federal grand jury with felonies in the incident, two of them for allegedly failing to carry out a critical safety test properly.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>If you think I am not making a dent in your faith of no faith, then let me assure you that you are not making a dent in my faith; you are just helping me water it!!
No dents, no problem! I honestly hope that you don't take my word for anything! I don't rake your word for anything; I research all claims, you should too.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus.
He was found pinned to the wreckage. They blamed the Pilate.
Don't go confusing eagle with that there clever wordplay.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to tell her that, evolution does a good enough job at doing that.
Let the poor child think for herself, eagle. Please.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You ninja'd me! Again!
Damn you and I think alike...
No surprise, we are both experienced in the ways of the ninja.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Take not Rake

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If a deity exists and if that deity created the universe, he not only doesn't answer prayer, but he really, really loves parasites, bacteria and beetles, in that order.
Yeah, if a deity did create this universe it certainly is one strange creature. He made several curious design decisions. Have you ever heard the one about our "recreation center" being in the middle of our "sewage plant?" I think Neil De Grasse Tyson said it first, not sure though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiding, Iím just too old and full of unbelief to be saved,(accepting evolution). Itís just impossible for me to accept evolution. Itís just too far fetched and it takes a hell of a lot of faith and imagination. I just donít have either.
To claim that whales were land animals and came from four legged beast like wolfs is just over the freaking top. I canít be reached, Iím too far gone. Asking me to believe in evolution is like asking me to believe in childrenís fantasies.
Fusing a chromosome doesnít even sound like an easy thing to do. What I mean by that it doesnít look to me that it happened because Mrs. Chimp ate strawberry ice-cream while pregnant. Evolution is just crazy, ludicrous.
And looking at chromosome counts is pretty much meaningless. A pig has 38 chromosomes and so does a lion. Neither one look like first cousins to me. A potatoes has the same count as humans. Some peoples head looks like back side of a potatoes but thatís as close as it comes.
I donít know how in the hell you believe all this bull sh** Hiding? Evolution is operating in the land of make believe. Why we teach this horse sh** to kids is beyond me.
Sometimes your inability to think amuses me, and sometimes it gets on my nerves. Hiding types out this long, interesting post for you, and you respond with the same old "durrrr I can't believe it." Why even talk about it if you won't even consider it as a possibility?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it started out as a paradise. Walking around and having fun butt naked. Then you women decided to feed us men a fruit salad which happen to be made from the forbidden fruit. Then it all went to hell in a hand basket.
And misogyny was born!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes your inability to think amuses me, and sometimes it gets on my nerves. Hiding types out this long, interesting post for you, and you respond with the same old "durrrr I can't believe it." Why even talk about it if you won't even consider it as a possibility?
I'm willing to goof on eagle.

But that's it.

He's a buffoon; a jerk; a dumbass.

And deep down inside, he's mean spirited.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm willing to goof on eagle.
But that's it.
He's a buffoon; a jerk; a dumbass.
And deep down inside, he's mean spirited.
Yeah, when he gets pushed a little too far he gets really nasty. I don't ever really attempt to actually talk to him either, it's just too frustrating - which is why I give hiding credit for being *so* patient with the poor guy.

“I write too fast”

Since: Mar 11

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiding, Iím just too old and full of unbelief to be saved,(accepting evolution). Itís just impossible for me to accept evolution. Itís just too far fetched and it takes a hell of a lot of faith and imagination. I just donít have either.
To claim that whales were land animals and came from four legged beast like wolfs is just over the freaking top. I canít be reached, Iím too far gone. Asking me to believe in evolution is like asking me to believe in childrenís fantasies.
Fusing a chromosome doesnít even sound like an easy thing to do. What I mean by that it doesnít look to me that it happened because Mrs. Chimp ate strawberry ice-cream while pregnant. Evolution is just crazy, ludicrous.
And looking at chromosome counts is pretty much meaningless. A pig has 38 chromosomes and so does a lion. Neither one look like first cousins to me. A potatoes has the same count as humans. Some peoples head looks like back side of a potatoes but thatís as close as it comes.
I donít know how in the hell you believe all this bull sh** Hiding? Evolution is operating in the land of make believe. Why we teach this horse sh** to kids is beyond me.
Oh, well, at least you know your limitations.

You made a few errors above:

1. The chromosome fusion didn't happen to chimps, it happened to hominins
2. It clearly is a rare event

3. How could it not have happened when:
a) telomeres are in the middle of our chromosome 22 when they're only found at the ends of chromosomes?
b) the DNA at that sequence precisely matches DNA found in Pan (chimps and bonobos), but on them it's on two different chromosomes?

That's like saying you don't believe a Model T Ford was ever built because you didn't see it happen. We have the Model T, we have pictures of it, it sure looks like it was built once.

4. The no. of chromosomes a species has doesn't mean its related to other species with the same number. Rather, you have to look at what's in the chromosomes that counts - the DNA. No one ever claimed that the number of chromosomes is meaningful information with regards to evolutionary relationships.

So the reason you don't "believe" in evolution is because you never understand it. You get just about everything wrong with evolution - and for that matter, biological science as it relates to species and DNA. I don't believe in your version of evolution either, it's loaded with nonsense and misunderstanding.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you believe this utterly absent evidence???

Well, that's not true - we have loads of evidence as to where these stories came from (other, older cultures and religions), and why you have them (to promote a religious identity and a hierarchy with men on top).

I'm sorry Eagle, but your beliefs are insane to me. I can't imagine adults believe in this stuff.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, when he gets pushed a little too far he gets really nasty. I don't ever really attempt to actually talk to him either, it's just too frustrating - which is why I give hiding credit for being *so* patient with the poor guy.
It's practice for when I finally meet my father, Darth Vader.

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, if a deity did create this universe it certainly is one strange creature. He made several curious design decisions. Have you ever heard the one about our "recreation center" being in the middle of our "sewage plant?" I think Neil De Grasse Tyson said it first, not sure though.
Never heard of it!

I have troubles watching Neil, especially when he's interviewing other people - he doesn't let them speak and he thinks his jokes are funny. Some are.
turkey

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of it!
I have troubles watching Neil, especially when he's interviewing other people - he doesn't let them speak and he thinks his jokes are funny. Some are.
you're a redickolous carcass

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you believe this utterly absent evidence???
Well, that's not true - we have loads of evidence as to where these stories came from (other, older cultures and religions), and why you have them (to promote a religious identity and a hierarchy with men on top).
I'm sorry Eagle, but your beliefs are insane to me. I can't imagine adults believe in this stuff.
The operative word is "adult" which in his case should read as "a dolt".

“I write too fast”

Hurry up!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

turkey wrote:
<quoted text>you're a redickolous carcass
I protest! I am most certainly not a carcass!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 34 min Electrical Engineer 842
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 252
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Carchar king 23
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Thinking 396
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 21,402
What does "Atheism" mean? 8 hr Buck Crick 37
Introducing The Universal Religion 12 hr nanoanomaly 735
•••
•••