Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137877 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So his one working link says Prayer failed.
Nice :)
<quoted text>
Yeah. I thought it was pretty awesome.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137878 Nov 15, 2012
What examples of this are you most familiar with?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutionists argue & disprove each other all the time.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#137879 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh?
Are you OK, Chris? Your posts this morning have been eratic.
It was you that made the statement “Only the ignorant fool prays for material possessions.”

Have you ever seen an atheist pray?

I was assuming you were referring to christians. Could have been one of the other religions but considering it was you making the statement I realised you are not up to commenting on other religions

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137880 Nov 15, 2012
I have a feeling this picture hits him a little too close to home.

http://www.justsaypictures.com/epic-fail-81.h...
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137881 Nov 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, there is not. There is debate as to how exactly it happened, but there is no debate that it happened. Do you understand the distinction? The *theory* of evolution explains the *fact* of evolution.
And WTF is an evolutionist? Are they like gravityers?
Must I do ALL your homework for you?

ev·o·lu·tion·ist
/&#716;ev&#601;&#7 12;lo&#862;oSH&#601;ni st/
Noun
A person who believes in the theories of evolution and natural selection.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137882 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Here's a site right up your...er...alley.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Location hidden

#137883 Nov 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It is, insofar as any study of anything is inconclusive, because you can always say "well, maybe sometime in the future we might find something new." But as far as the studies themselves go, they were conclusive. Either god turned off prayer during those studies, or prayer doesn't work. The methodology was sound - read about it.
*OR*

The method of testing was wrong.

After all, the supernatural is NOT in the realm of science...

Location hidden

#137884 Nov 15, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It was you that made the statement “Only the ignorant fool prays for material possessions.”
Have you ever seen an atheist pray?
I was assuming you were referring to christians. Could have been one of the other religions but considering it was you making the statement I realised you are not up to commenting on other religions
In time of need I have seen atheist say "Oh, God, please don't let this happen."

It's their ignorant version of prayer.

Location hidden

#137885 Nov 15, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So his one working link says Prayer failed.
Nice :)
<quoted text>
Have you anything worthy to add or are you just the shit talker troll?

Location hidden

#137886 Nov 15, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a site right up your...er...alley.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
Why are they up my alley?
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137887 Nov 15, 2012
And your priests say "jesus christ" when they climax over choirboys.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In time of need I have seen atheist say "Oh, God, please don't let this happen."

Location hidden

#137888 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Must I do ALL your homework for you?
ev·o·lu·tion·ist
/&#716;ev&#601;&#7 12;lo&#862;oSH&#601;ni st/
Noun
A person who believes in the theories of evolution and natural selection.
I know what the word means... I was pointing out that it is a stupid term, because it implies the same level of belief and dedication found in religion. Which, as we all should know, is nonsense. It also implies that because there are some people who "believe" in the theory, that there must be scientists who don't, and that it is reasonable to object to it. As I said, it would be just as dumb as labeling someone a "gravitologist."

Location hidden

#137889 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's indicative of how much your belief system has permeated our society.

Location hidden

#137890 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*OR*
The method of testing was wrong.
After all, the supernatural is NOT in the realm of science...
It's not until it makes a positive claim - the power of prayer is a positive claim. And it was found to be lacking.

Check out the methodology yourself instead of dismissing it out of hand.

Location hidden

#137891 Nov 15, 2012
Thinking wrote:
And your priests say "jesus christ" when they climax over choirboys.
<quoted text>
You're disgusting.

Location hidden

#137892 Nov 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I know what the word means... I was pointing out that it is a stupid term, because it implies the same level of belief and dedication found in religion. Which, as we all should know, is nonsense. It also implies that because there are some people who "believe" in the theory, that there must be scientists who don't, and that it is reasonable to object to it. As I said, it would be just as dumb as labeling someone a "gravitologist."
I'm not suggesting that you believe in a scientific theory. That'd be stupid. I'm saying that you believe everything you're told in regards to evolution, of which is part scientific theory and part scientific guesswork.

There's no evidence that says ALL life on earth evolved from a single cell organsim. THAT'S the bullshit about that particular theory.

Location hidden

#137893 Nov 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not suggesting that you believe in a scientific theory. That'd be stupid. I'm saying that you believe everything you're told in regards to evolution, of which is part scientific theory and part scientific guesswork.
There's no evidence that says ALL life on earth evolved from a single cell organsim. THAT'S the bullshit about that particular theory.
No, I don't "believe everything I'm told," but I am not overly skeptical when it comes to trustworthy scientific institutions. They have no reason to deceive me.

Location hidden

#137894 Nov 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don't "believe everything I'm told," but I am not overly skeptical when it comes to trustworthy scientific institutions. They have no reason to deceive me.
Let me qualify that. Sometimes I am skeptical of their work, but not of their intentions.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137895 Nov 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Why do you think it does?
<quoted text>
You were wrong on the first two postulations. I'm sorry, you're also not correct here.
And, if you read what I wrote, you'd realize I did not give you a firm date of 6 million years.
It must be my fault. I'm a terrible teacher. I'll try again. It goes like this:
1. Chimps and hominin split at roughly 6 mya
2. Chimps still have the 2 chromosomes split
3. Devonian hominin show the human pattern
4. Devonian hominin evolved roughly 400 kya but it's likely they evolved from H. erectus, which left Africa 2 mya
5. That gives us a date from 6-2 mya for the mutation that produced chromosome 22.
6. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean it also didn't mutate and evolve. It did. The telomeres have mutations on them
7. That chromosome 22 appeared doesn't mean hominin evolution stopped. It is, in fact, unconnected to other hominin evolution and could not stop evolution under any circumstances in all possible worlds.(I added "all possible worlds" just for fun)
<quoted text>
hahahahahahaha!!!
Oh, god, you are awesome.
So...you are claiming that Adam was an Australopithecus? Or a Homo habilis? Or a H. erectus? Those are your choices. Not human. From an extinct species that could not think like us.
Why don't you choose a better Adam? Why don't you choose an Adam who coincides with what has been called "The Great Leap Forward"?
That's basically when humans got souls anyways (if I can be poetic here).
Eagle - I had plans, you know, to steal money from you believers. I was thinking about coordinating a lot of evidence together, fudging a bit and cherry picking, with a lot of very loose interpretation that would never be acceptable in academia, to write that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden around 40 000 years ago. That's sort of when humans developed wonderful art, kill all the nephilim, I mean, neanderthal, and then move to all parts of the earth.
I could make it fit with Genesis - no problem. It would just be extremely dishonest. But I'd be rich :)
I thank you, as always for you in depth explanation. I thought we were talking about chromosome #2. Anyway, I can’t believe this macroevolution because it requires way more faith than I can muster up.

Setting aside my religious belief in the Genesis account. I find it difficult to believe there were no 1st in life. For example the very first oak tree, fig tree, bird, fish, jellyfish. The first chimp, giraffe, and the very first human.

All numbers no matter how great or small are synonymous with the number one. This must be true in biology and in mathematics. Without the first there can be no seconds, thirds, or fourths. This is one reason I think evolution is full of sh**. No disrespect intended.

To you it is science, to me it’s fantasy science because it lacks very basic common sense. Hiding, there had to be a first. The only exception would be the creation of the cosmos. I’m not sure if all those stars, suns, were made at once or one at a time.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137896 Nov 15, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what you mean here. Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms. It has nothing to do with any distinction between 'micro-evolution' and 'macro-evolution.'
Thank you but there is a association with microevolution and microbiology.

Wiki:

Typically, observable instances of evolution are examples of microevolution; for example, bacterial strains that have antibiotic resistance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 34 min Richardfs 987
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 22,975
Islam for peace, or violence? 1 hr Thinking 17
Man center of the universe. Fri fadu singh 84
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Fri Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... Oct 16 tha Professor 146

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE