Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,631)

Showing posts 132,601 - 132,620 of217,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Catch a Troll by the toe.”

Since: Nov 12

Match the Socks if you Darn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Anyone that wants to poke a Troll with a stick, or match up a pair of Socks - swing on by the Topix Troll Cafť.

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TH0M17G...

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>16Nov12.....
.....BobLoblah does Not and Never have taken any drugs of any kind.
Ps:.....Except for one time while working in da '70s in the far Northern regions of the former USSR and BobLoblah became constipated. On visiting the doctor, the doctor gave BobLoblah some suppositories, but when BobLoblah got home BobLoblah could Not figure out how to use them having never seen, nor heard of them before.
....and so Bobloblah ate them.
....and Nothing happened.
..BobLoblah returned to the doctor and when da doctor asked BobLoblah how were things going 'down below'...BobLoblah replied:
'Doc, it would have been better if BobLoblah had shoved these things up BobLoblah's arse'.
Needless to say, dat doctor is still reeling.
...and so are you tooooooooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
ROFL!

+1

Double Fine likes this

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Another Canadian patient, Steven Graham, was able to demonstrate that he had laid down new memories since his brain injury. Mr Graham answers yes when asked whether his sister has a daughter. His niece was born after his car accident five years ago."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20268044
Most intriguing, eh?
Did they tell him that on a hospital visit? I wonder how long after his accident the birth occurred.
Very weird. I would assume they told him during a visit (I would hope so. Psychic ability gained during a coma is too Stephen King-ish for my liking)

I would assume times seems to be at a standstill for the patient.

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is adaption ~ extinction is failure to adapt.
That's one component of evolution, sure. Adaptation is the mechanism of problem solving produced by natural selection.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Could that fusing be the result of gene splicing, or did someone stand too close to the microwave?
How was the bond made? Not the technique, but the molecular linkage? Anything removed to bond them? Which chemicals bonded at the ends?
It was a copying error. One enzyme cut it up, one didn't move it out of the cell fast enough, another stitched it back together incorrectly.

I don't know the specifics of the molecules involved. It's telomere DNA to non-telomere DNA bonded together. A telomere is just DNA that is repeating in a certain pattern. So it ends up being DNA-DNA bonds, like any other part of the DNA only recognizable as telomere rather than coding or noncoding sequences. That makes it one of G A T C attached to its opposite pair, just like in all DNA.

Sadly, no microwaves at that time, but my chromosomes just fused because of this damned computer.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
.....BobLoblah does Not and Never have taken any drugs of any kind.
Ps:.....Except for one time while working in da '70s in the far Northern regions of the former USSR and BobLoblah became constipated. On visiting the doctor, the doctor gave BobLoblah some suppositories, but when BobLoblah got home BobLoblah could Not figure out how to use them having never seen, nor heard of them before.
....and so Bobloblah ate them.
....and Nothing happened.
..BobLoblah returned to the doctor and when da doctor asked BobLoblah how were things going 'down below'...BobLoblah replied:
'Doc, it would have been better if BobLoblah had shoved these things up BobLoblah's arse'.
Needless to say, dat doctor is still reeling.
...and so are you tooooooooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
You ate suppositories?!?

hahahaha, nice!

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weird. I would assume they told him during a visit (I would hope so. Psychic ability gained during a coma is too Stephen King-ish for my liking)
I would assume times seems to be at a standstill for the patient.
They just misunderstood that his brain was still capable of receiving input from hearing. It turns out our brains can regrow cells - no one thought that 20 years ago, but stem cells are constantly regenerated in the brain in various locations.

Don't tell Dave.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You ate suppositories?!?
hahahaha, nice!
Perhaps it explains his verbal diarrhoea
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

bob nobgobbler swallows anything- his belief system for starters.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You ate suppositories?!?
hahahaha, nice!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

_BobLoblah_ wrote:
.....any friend of 'sidingDumbPhew' like you 'glackBagoon' is an enemy of BobLoblah.
Ps:.....BobLoblah believes dat ven it comes to you, dere's more brains in a bottle of wadda.
...and den sum tooooooooooooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
At what point are you going to try the English accent? It would certainly make you sound less juvenile!!! Poor little Bobby, he can't get any attention any other way, so he tries to draw attention to himself wit a fake accent, ha ha ha ha, what a dipshit!!!

BTW, either engage me in adult conversation or pissoff, your choice!!!!!

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Microevolution, Iím completely sold on Doctor. So all those articles on microbiology I have no problem believing. I would venture to say out of that 135,000 articles, most were probably about microbiology.
How many scientist are working directly on macro evolution? I would estimate that number to be very small compared to microevolution.
When I talk about speculation Doctor Iím always referring to macroevolution. This discussion about chromosome #2 is very interesting. When the chromosome fused that was the first mankind. With all 46 chromosomes just like we have today.
What I take from the chromosome #2 discussion is mankind came on the scene suddenly and not gradually as traditionally thought. This means there was a first man. That man Doctor was Adam.
It's very apparent that you really know nothing about the process of human evolution. I find that unbelievable sad!!!

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Should I start with the alphabet song and just work my way up?
No, just keep putting up god pics :)
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

bob "the nonce" nobgobbler doesn't like being ignored. He'll no doubt compose yet another list of posters he hates and spam the arse out of it. A veritable oxygen thief, no less.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>At what point are you going to try the English accent? It would certainly make you sound less juvenile!!! Poor little Bobby, he can't get any attention any other way, so he tries to draw attention to himself wit a fake accent, ha ha ha ha, what a dipshit!!!
BTW, either engage me in adult conversation or pissoff, your choice!!!!!

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The basic consensus is (I think) that our decisions are made "for us" by our brain - then after the fact it appears to have been a conscious decision. "We" may still retain veto power over these decisions that arise from the unconscious.
There have been a couple interesting studies on this. Here's a summary of one:
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news...
"Also, the predictions were not completely accurate. Maybe free will enters at the last moment, allowing a person to override an unpalatable subconscious decision."

"We can't rule out that there's a free will that kicks in at this late point," said Haynes, who intends to study this phenomenon next. "But I don't think it's plausible."

Maybe this, maybe that.... Maybe we'll just add a few zeros to the end....

C'mon.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Who does that? If someone were to go around at work insulting people's religious beliefs, he/she should be fired too. However, I don't think there would be anything wrong with discussing a scientific theory. People shouldn't be so touchy about it. Does gravity upset you?
Why would gravity upset me?

What does that have to do with religion?

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I have actually seen the reports, the complete ones, not the cherry picked ones. It has never demonstrated any amount of success beyond that of chance. You're just as well off tossing the dice or wishing.
Perfect example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Prayer_f...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42705038/ns/weath...
Guess when it did finally rain, during the atheist convention, long after the prayers. I like this example because if prayer works, then your god clearly prefers the company of atheists.
You're such a dufus.

So are the people praying for rain. Prayer doesn't work that way.

I've made this point clear before, you obviously cherry pick what you read.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Microevolution, Iím completely sold on Doctor. So all those articles on microbiology I have no problem believing. I would venture to say out of that 135,000 articles, most were probably about microbiology.
How many scientist are working directly on macro evolution? I would estimate that number to be very small compared to microevolution.
When I talk about speculation Doctor Iím always referring to macroevolution. This discussion about chromosome #2 is very interesting. When the chromosome fused that was the first mankind. With all 46 chromosomes just like we have today.
What I take from the chromosome #2 discussion is mankind came on the scene suddenly and not gradually as traditionally thought. This means there was a first man. That man Doctor was Adam.
A whale is a good example of Macro-evolution. Tracing the development of the nostrils through fossil records and skulls, we can follow the gradual movement of the nostril from the front of the nose to the top of the head, the whales blowhole. Consider the vestigial hind legs, the fully formed wrist parts on the Right Whale. The fact that a whales gives birth under the water as a land mammal does. In fact the mother must move under the newborn quickly to bring it to the surface before it drowns. We also see evidence that the whale was once a land mammal by the way it moves through the water. Fish swim with a side to side mouthing, whales, as well as dolphins and porpoises, move through the water with an up and down flexing of the spine as you would see in a running land mammal.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
When you work in a scientific field, you have to talk about science anyway, that's just part of the job.
ANd of course you think that science & religion are enemies, so....

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There never was a free will!
Of course the free will thing is not real!

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

scaritual wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote: And Christianity & Catholicism are variations of an ancient religion. They are different.
Similar, yes. But still different. There's a lot if beliefs & traditions that Catholics do that Christians don't.
scaritual wrote: You mean Judaism?
LULZ>...
<quoted text> I know it's hard for you to comprehend. No need to get angry.
You mentioned: "Christianity & Catholicism are variations of an ancient religion"
Just what "ancient religion" were you talking about?
Sorry about the brick thing...

Judaism...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 132,601 - 132,620 of217,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••