Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,401 - 132,420 of 226,606 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137650 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The theory of evolution is like clothes made of invisible fabric. Just get all dressed up in those invisible clothes and take a stroll.
Eagle...Eagle...<shakes head>...you're the high priest of delusional proclamations. The king of ignorance about evolution. The godly godfather of willful stupidity.

Questions:

1. Why do you persist in making yourself out to be the above?

2. Why don't you actually learn about how evolution works so you can produce useful comments on the subject?

3. Failing 2, produce an academic paper that supports your absurd position.

(well, you won't be able to do #3...but I might as well goad you on)

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137651 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Da tests we no inconcrusive!
no inconcrusive!
No!
I crearry tord him that. He didn't risten.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137652 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! What do you mean "anthropologist sites"???
Huh?

Location hidden

#137653 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! Ninja'd!
Yep, you ninja'd me good there. I didn't even see it coming - the mark of a master ninja.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137654 Nov 14, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Education is the key here. Educating yourself on the FACTS of evolution will help you better understand how the process works. Could it be that you are misinformed about what constitutes evolution. Please don't tell me you belong to that camp of nutbags that hold to the belief that millions of scientists are part of a conspiracy to provide false information to the masses. I'll be very disappointed if thats the case. Do you really believe that hundreds of thousands of biologists, and evolutionary scientists could be so wrong about the process of evolution? You do know that evolution is present in todays medical science. That mainstream science accepts evolution as factual, and you do not, may have a lot to say for the religious blinding that has afflicted you. Its always very sad to see.
I've tried to explain it to him in very, very simple terms. He either is incapable of learning or doesn't want to.

For example, he reposts stuff about "living fossils" every now and again. As in "why are horseshoe crabs still around???" Then I explain to him how the "species concept" works and how he's not invoking it at all.

Then he screams and cries out "why don't chimpanzees drive???" And I explain the concept of "niche" and "adaptive peak" but...but...I might as well be teaching a crocodile to sing.

Location hidden

#137655 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And his signature!
<trembles>
I have a pretty elaborate picture in my mind of Dave's life. I recently found out he takes care of stray cats - this was very good fodder for my fantasies. I'm pretty ashamed of myself.

Location hidden

#137656 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'round and 'round we go.....
I know. We can drop it, as long as you accept my conviction that voodoo works because one day I smacked around a George Bush doll and the next day he choked on a pretzel. Deal?

Location hidden

#137657 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I've tried to explain it to him in very, very simple terms. He either is incapable of learning or doesn't want to.
For example, he reposts stuff about "living fossils" every now and again. As in "why are horseshoe crabs still around???" Then I explain to him how the "species concept" works and how he's not invoking it at all.
Then he screams and cries out "why don't chimpanzees drive???" And I explain the concept of "niche" and "adaptive peak" but...but...I might as well be teaching a crocodile to sing.
I love it when he talks about horseshoe crabs.

Lexington, KY

#137658 Nov 14, 2012
Still making a complete jackass out of yourself I see. LMFAO!

This reject doesn't know that catholics are christian :))

Wow loser even the theists are cringing at your stupidity!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ugh to the nth degree....
Would you consider a cheeseburger & a hamburger the same thing?

Lexington, KY

#137659 Nov 14, 2012

Dave's world.
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I have a pretty elaborate picture in my mind of Dave's life. I recently found out he takes care of stray cats - this was very good fodder for my fantasies. I'm pretty ashamed of myself.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137660 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ugh to the nth degree....
Would you consider a cheeseburger & a hamburger the same thing?
Variations on the sandwich, yes I would.

Location hidden

#137661 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I crearry tord him that. He didn't risten.
That's not...

Ah nvm..

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137662 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have and what I see is a bunch of smoke being blown up a peoples a**.
Itís going to take more than hype to convince me. A lot of scientist donít believe it either but in order to keep their jobs they have to accept it. This is what I mean when I say evolution has an enforcement arm.
If you are a scientist and you come out publicly that you donít believe in macro evolution. Youíre suddenly unemployed. But if a scientist questions some theory in physics, thatís ok. Just as long as he doesnít question evolution.
This is why I love Hans Christian Andersons book. It brings to light the scam that has been pulled on the general public.
No, Mr. Eagle's paranoia, that's not how it works. All us academics are 100% familiar with the Christian Anderson reference - we use it in the titles for our research papers sometimes.

You are incapable of being a critical thinker. I don't know why, but you are. You're incapable of applying critical thinking to your religion, your own beliefs and the stupidity that you have been taught as creationism.

Creationism is hollow. It's worthless garbage - it cannot produce new knowledge and technology. But you fail, utterly and completely, to comprehend that. Creationism is literally "the emperor has no clothes." It teaches you a whole bunch of nothing that jives with your religious beliefs and so you like it - and so you are unable to critique it.

A tenured biological scientist can stop producing research and proclaim his/her creationism. You could not get fired for that - that's what tenure is for. To protect scientists and academics from dangerous ideas.

I've told you this before. You never listen when I write to you but instead condescendingly write back "hug" so you can dodge thinking. After all, Michael Behe came out as an Intelligent Design advocate, and has since not done biological science, and is not fired. He can't be. He just remains an embarrassment to the department.

Evolution is the only theory that unifies all biological phenomena, provides predictions about how to test biological phenomena, leads to new research, knowledge production and new technology.

There are no competing theoretical frameworks - the vast majority of biological scientists understand that. The evidence only supports evolution.

Location hidden

#137663 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I know. We can drop it, as long as you accept my conviction that voodoo works because one day I smacked around a George Bush doll and the next day he choked on a pretzel. Deal?
Sure. As long as you can accept that God answers my prayers.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#137664 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Examples of something you don't have free will in.
Any decision we might make would be an example.

Many factors determine what choices we make. We aren't aware of all of them. We can't change many of them. We cannot change the past. We are bound by a complex set of circumstances that we have little control over, and little knowledge of. It seems to us like we have the freedom of choice, but where is freedom in constraint? We obviously feel like we have control, but how is it determined how we would want to control anything? That direction of control is also determined by factors that we cannot fully understand or control. It's just complex enough that we can see free will where there is none. That doesn't detract from what we actually have. It just gives us a little more insight into how humans work. It also causes us to look closer at how we view responsibility. There's an opportunity for real progression here.

Location hidden

#137665 Nov 14, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Still making a complete jackass out of yourself I see. LMFAO!
This reject doesn't know that catholics are christian :))
Wow loser even the theists are cringing at your stupidity!
<quoted text>
Does your atheism promote your anger?

Are you THAT stupid to think that Christianity & Catholicism are the same thing?

Not *were*.....*are*

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137666 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure.
All figures are skewed by infant mortality and accidental or non-natural death.
But I'm willing to bet that many adults in pre industrial times succumbed to harsh winters.
That's not nearly as common now.
Heck, people start screaming if the power goes out for a couple of days in the winter.
Their bodies would be better developmentally capable of tolerating harsh winters than ours are. They would have been exposed to very cold temperatures as children, for longer periods of time. When that happens, the body produces developmental adaptations that enable greater tolerance of cold.

But, humans aren't cold adapted species - the Inuit represent the greatest morphological adaptations for cold weather. So, you're right, the oldest, sickest people would die in harsh winters if they weren't protected from the cold.

Incidentally, that still happens in Mongolia among the pastoralists. Every year they make a harsh and long trip to bring their animals to new pastures and every year some of the elderly die. But we're talking about people in their 70's.

Lexington, KY

#137667 Nov 14, 2012

Location hidden

#137668 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Variations on the sandwich, yes I would.
And Christianity & Catholicism are variations of an ancient religion. They are different.

Similar, yes. But still different. There's a lot if beliefs & traditions that Catholics do that Christians don't.

Location hidden

#137669 Nov 14, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Orpe14IQfvUXX
Dave's world.
<quoted text>
I have a much.. bleaker... fantasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 34 min Eman 21,541
Becoming a parent changed everything. 1 hr Givemeliberty 1
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr greymouser 5,922
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 2 hr Mikko 18
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Mikko 63
Our world came from nothing? 11 hr Thinking 438
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon James 68
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••