Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137550 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?
The only controversy on evolution is how it happened, the timeline. I think we're still learning about it & have a long to go.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#137551 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The only controversy on evolution is how it happened, the timeline. I think we're still learning about it & have a long to go.
Which is what science is. It's an ongoing investigation. Tomorrows discoveries can change everything. Religion simply can't grasp that concept.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137552 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Each time you quote the bible, you are quoting the evilbible.
See?
Clever, this one.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137553 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?
Evolution is a, he said, she said, we think, possibly could have science or so called science. There is a mountain full of evidence (imaginary).

I can see the correlation of evolution and the childrenís book,

The Emperors New Clothes, by Hans Christian Anderson.

From Wiki:

A vain Emperor who cares for nothing but his appearance and attire hires two tailors who are really swindlers that promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position; his ministers do the same.

When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects, who play along with the pretense. Suddenly, a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others.

The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession, deciding never to be so vain again and to take his position more seriously.

Location hidden

#137554 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok? You made it seem as if the actual process of evolution was in question. Our knowledge of any past event can never be perfect.

Location hidden

#137555 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not. Prayer does work. I've experienced it working first hand! So whatever "tests" you've offered up, they're obviusly inconclusive.
Good lord. Ok. This is going no where. The tests were no inconclusive. The results were very clear, the methodology was sound - therefore the only way to explain the results without discounting the power of prayer is to invoke a trickster god. Is your god a trickster?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137556 Nov 14, 2012
Says the reject who doesn't know that Catholics are Christian!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not. Prayer does work. I've experienced it working first hand! So whatever "tests" you've offered up, they're obviusly inconclusive.

Location hidden

#137557 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a, he said, she said, we think, possibly could have science or so called science. There is a mountain full of evidence (imaginary).
I can see the correlation of evolution and the childrenís book,
The Emperors New Clothes, by Hans Christian Anderson.
From Wiki:
A vain Emperor who cares for nothing but his appearance and attire hires two tailors who are really swindlers that promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position; his ministers do the same.
When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects, who play along with the pretense. Suddenly, a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others.
The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession, deciding never to be so vain again and to take his position more seriously.
How many times are you going to post a summary of that book? You do know that the phrase has entered everyday language and that you can say "the emperor has no clothes" and people will know what you mean, right?

Also, if you would care to educate yourself on evolution, you would see that your analogy makes no sense whatsoever.

Southern Illinois

#137558 Nov 14, 2012
The theory of evolution is like clothes made of invisible fabric. Just get all dressed up in those invisible clothes and take a stroll.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137560 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will. That's how.
Don't be silly, there is no such thing as "free will" it's an illusion. Your God, or so you say, is all knowing, all powerful, there is nothing this god doesn't know including the future. He knows exactly what choices you are going to make, you have no choice but to choose the pathway God has set for you. Do you think you could choose a different path than the one God has preordained for you? Or don't you think God knows what path you are going to take? If what you say is true about your God thing, then "free will" is simply an illusion.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137561 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The theory of evolution is like clothes made of invisible fabric. Just get all dressed up in those invisible clothes and take a stroll.
To be honest, what you describe sounds much more like theism.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#137562 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
What does your god wear?

Perhaps his long beard hides his private parts?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137563 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Education is the key here. Educating yourself on the FACTS of evolution will help you better understand how the process works. Could it be that you are misinformed about what constitutes evolution. Please don't tell me you belong to that camp of nutbags that hold to the belief that millions of scientists are part of a conspiracy to provide false information to the masses. I'll be very disappointed if thats the case. Do you really believe that hundreds of thousands of biologists, and evolutionary scientists could be so wrong about the process of evolution? You do know that evolution is present in todays medical science. That mainstream science accepts evolution as factual, and you do not, may have a lot to say for the religious blinding that has afflicted you. Its always very sad to see.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#137564 Nov 14, 2012
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
What constitutes as "demonstrably reliable evidence"? I find it fascinating to observe how people can couch their language in a way to make things more complicated than they really are. The real test of the ability to articulate one's beliefs is how simple they can be explained. Anyone can make something simple into something complicated. Like this:
I would like to give my example stated in paragraph 1 of this reply as both a demonstration of the complexities that can be found in the semantics and diction of the English language AND as an unqualified statement of reasonable assurance of what I have found to be true based on several substantive tests of details of the subject matter at hand as well as various analytically procedures used to reduce the risk of tolerable misstatement which is not limited to the context of this forum. A book has come into my possession which has presented me with persuasive evidence that there is in fact a God. If you care to inquire about it, I will provide further explanation.
Means it can be shown to consistently function the same way almost every time and have a clear, and well defined, explanation, none of this "it works when it works" garbage.

The sun lighting this planet for something around 12 hours a day is demonstrable evidence. Prayer being answered with the consistency of luck is not demonstrable evidence, unless you are trying to demonstrate that it doesn't work.

Southern Illinois

#137565 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>How many times are you going to post a summary of that book? You do know that the phrase has entered everyday language and that you can say "the emperor has no clothes" and people will know what you mean, right?
Also, if you would care to educate yourself on evolution, you would see that your analogy makes no sense whatsoever.
I have and what I see is a bunch of smoke being blown up a peoples a**.

Itís going to take more than hype to convince me. A lot of scientist donít believe it either but in order to keep their jobs they have to accept it. This is what I mean when I say evolution has an enforcement arm.

If you are a scientist and you come out publicly that you donít believe in macro evolution. Youíre suddenly unemployed. But if a scientist questions some theory in physics, thatís ok. Just as long as he doesnít question evolution.

This is why I love Hans Christian Andersons book. It brings to light the scam that has been pulled on the general public.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137566 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>God is, humans aren't.

Get a clue.
Then there is no free will.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#137567 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God is, humans aren't.
Get a clue.
Then humans cannot have free will.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137568 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I think that figure is skewed by infant mortality.
Sure.

All figures are skewed by infant mortality and accidental or non-natural death.

But I'm willing to bet that many adults in pre industrial times succumbed to harsh winters.

That's not nearly as common now.

Heck, people start screaming if the power goes out for a couple of days in the winter.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#137569 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are demonstrating confirmation bias on a daily basis, so it is safe to assume that you are doing that same thing when you "think" your prayers work.

It is believers who have never provided conclusive evidence of prayer working, it's one of the most common reasons for believers to become deists, actually. However, your asserting that it does work is dangerous, there are many parents who have allowed their children to suffer agonizing and horrific deaths that could have been prevented with medicine simply because it was "god's will." If you cannot provide solid evidence, then you cannot claim it works at all.

Location hidden

#137570 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have and what I see is a bunch of smoke being blown up a peoples a**.
Itís going to take more than hype to convince me. A lot of scientist donít believe it either but in order to keep their jobs they have to accept it. This is what I mean when I say evolution has an enforcement arm.
If you are a scientist and you come out publicly that you donít believe in macro evolution. Youíre suddenly unemployed. But if a scientist questions some theory in physics, thatís ok. Just as long as he doesnít question evolution.
This is why I love Hans Christian Andersons book. It brings to light the scam that has been pulled on the general public.
You're nuts. There is no secret cabal of "evolutionists" trying to scam the world. What would their motive be?

List the so called "scientists" who don't "believe" it. List the ones who have been fired for voicing their opinion. If some have been fired for just an opinion, that's wrong, but somewhat understandable. It would be like a scientist declaring that the earth is flat. However, if any have been fired, I would assume it's not just because of their opinion, but probably because they were doing ridiculous things like trying to teach intelligent design in class. This is just speculation, mind you, I don't care enough about your absurd claims to research them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 min I can read 22,986
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Adam 1,031
Islam for peace, or violence? 1 hr Chiclets 27
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 11 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 11 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE