Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239133 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Serah

Australia

#137622 Nov 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Wonder how long it took for a potato to grow lips?
Or an organism to turn into a male dog, cocking their legs instead of squatting like a female doggy? I have seen female doggies cock their legs, but nothing like the way the male gets his leg right up there!!
Ever seen an ape cock his leg? How long would it have taken to weave that into their genes???

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#137623 Nov 14, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You are revealing just how _ussified you have become Daveyboy. Man up soldier , you will march uphill day and night .
But only if you have to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =w-4gs5CvQRQXX
I persevered with no input needed from you. The door works fine.

I still hate working in the cold.

I will be going to bed early.

Now STFU, por favor.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137624 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Adjective: divergent
1. Diverging from another or from a standard
2. Tending to move apart in different directions
WordWeb Pro 6.0
Right. Meaning they USED to be one...

Is this a difficult concept?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137625 Nov 14, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Any decision we could possibly make is determined by knowable factors, and is therefor predictable. If our behavior is predictable, we are not free in our choices, they are constrained by these knowable factors. It's possible that there might be random elements involved in the decision making process, but there will always be some quantity of time between a random event and the effect it has on the decision making process. That time interval allows for all necessary information to be available for computation, which then gets us back to predictability.
Where is the freedom, if all your decisions could be made by computation of the factors that contribute to your decisions? Your brain is the computer that does this. What you think of as free will is just the culmination of complex factors being computed by your brain, and appearing to your conscious mind as a free choice.
I would argue that omniscience is impossible, however, it is possible to follow and predict human decisions. There is no logical barrier there that would prevent this from happening. It's a technological problem. I doubt we will ever be able to do this with 100% accuracy, but it isn't impossible.
To recap, when humans decide something, they are computing based on available information and also being influenced by the state of the body they reside in. Chemicals and stuff like that have an effect, as do temperature, altitude, time of day, all sorts of things. All of this is so complex that we have the illusion of free will, but we are not truly free.
Do you have any examples?
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137626 Nov 14, 2012
Clearly god wants you to freeze.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Now STFU, por favor.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#137627 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a scientist and you come out publicly that you donít believe in macro evolution.
That's not a sentence, dolt.

San Francisco, CA

#137628 Nov 14, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. will give CATCHER 2-1 odds that Eagle can catch it ..
.. COME ON EAGLE, do your thing! Find the error so CATCHER has to loan another $50 to KIVA ..
Ha!

If Eagle catches the error, I'll lend $100 to KIVA.

Make it $150.

The guy couldn't catch a bug if it flew into his mouth.

San Francisco, CA

#137629 Nov 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Now STFU, por favor.
Buenas noches.

Do you know what an iman is?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#137630 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any examples?
Examples of what?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137631 Nov 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not a sentence, dolt.
Mes thin you done know a damn thin senor.

You a dumb sh** senor Pedro, dumb.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137632 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tim, thereís more to the story. The California Courts have sided with NASA. NASA claims he was let go because of his performance.
A leading scientist placed in charge over a entire team, who had been with NASA 15 years is fired over performance?
He had obviously had some bitter enemies and the working political work environment worked against him. His views on evolution may have been the antecedent that resulted in his deteriorated interpersonal relationships.
Well, as a scientist, your performance is to some extent predicated on your ability to separate scientific fact from personal religious belief. It's ok if he wants to have personal beliefs - he can believe in voodoo for all I care - but if those beliefs start to compromise his ability to think objectively, that's a problem.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137633 Nov 14, 2012
David Coppedge was let go because he was combative and did not keep his skills sharp, not because of his belief that life is too complex to have developed through evolution alone.

And Catholics are Christian, ground breaking stuff for you eh reject?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"In his lawsuit, Coppedge claimed he was demoted in 2009 and then let go for engaging his co-workers in conversations about his views."
Awesome.
One wonders why the other coworkers didn't fired for expressing their views......

Location hidden

#137634 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't think so. Since I know that prayer works I must conclude that the "testing" being done on prayer is inconclusive. Probably because of the method of testing or the technology used to test.
There was no technology used in the test, it was a study of complications after heart surgery. The methodology was sound, and they had a large sample size. Look it up yourself if you want, it's all over the internet.

Also, don't you think that way of thinking is a problem? You absolutely will not even consider any evidence that conflicts with your beliefs. That's not good.

Location hidden

#137635 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the reference.
Primates have 48 Chromosomes. We have 46, ok thatís pretty close but potatoes have 46.
Chromosome #2 fused somehow allegedly.
How did it fuse, what caused the fusion? When did the fusion occur?
Evolution supposedly is this slow blending and gradual change.
However a fusion would indicate a sudden change.
You canít gradually fuse a chromosome. I canít image a chromosome gradually fusing, can you? Itís either fused or not. Like a chain, itís linked or not linked. Thereís no gradual linking.
To me the fusing of Chromosome #2 indicates that evolution didnít happen to mankind.
Learn a little bit about chromosomes, and then learn about the two that fused in humans, and it will make sense to you. There are vestigal centromeres and telomeres on chromosome 2 - usually each chromosome has a telomere on each end and a centromere in the middle, but there are 4 telomeres (with 2 in the middle where the chromosomes fused), and 2 centromeres.

Lexington, KY

#137636 Nov 14, 2012
So the first video was above your IQ. No problem relax go watch the second video and if that is to complex we will start with something more your speed.

Remember you don't want none O them big fancy sciencey greek looking explainaySHUNz from them fancy colleges with flush toiets?

LULZ!

Thank you for making a jackass out of yourself for our amusement :))
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the reference.
Primates have 48 Chromosomes. We have 46, ok thatís pretty close but potatoes have 46.
Chromosome #2 fused somehow allegedly.
How did it fuse, what caused the fusion? When did the fusion occur?
Evolution supposedly is this slow blending and gradual change.
However a fusion would indicate a sudden change.
You canít gradually fuse a chromosome. I canít image a chromosome gradually fusing, can you? Itís either fused or not. Like a chain, itís linked or not linked. Thereís no gradual linking.
To me the fusing of Chromosome #2 indicates that evolution didnít happen to mankind.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137637 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Meaning they USED to be one...
Is this a difficult concept?
I think you're having difficulty in understanding that, although they are different in practice, they are still versions of Christianity.

"Worldwide, the three largest groups of Christianity are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the various denominations of Protestantism.

The Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox patriarchates split from one another in the EastĖWest Schism of 1054 AD, and Protestantism came into existence during the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, splitting from the Roman Catholic Church." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

Versions of Christianity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137638 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholicism is a denomination, hence a subset, of Christianity.
All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.
F*ck! Finally! It takes you like 3 or 4 posts, some time in between, and thinking about it to come back to reality.

:)

(remember, before, you claimed that Catholics weren't Christian)
A Christian refers to a follower of Jesus Christ who may be a Catholic, Protestant, Gnostic, Mormon, Evangelical, Anglican or Orthodox, or follower of another branch of the religion.
A Catholic refers to a Christian who follows the Catholic religion as transmitted through the succession of Popes of Rome and the Vatican Empire across history.
The Pope is the leader of the Catholic church. The Catholic Church is the largest of the Christian Churches - about 60% of Christians are Catholic.
Well, there you go. Is the above a Wikipedia quote?

Ok, so why did your Pope side with the Nazis in WWII?!?

(teasing!)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137639 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Evolution has sects? Is that because it's a belief system too?
No.

Yes, evolution is a belief system, too. Well...not a whole system by itself, but one that pertains specifically to biological phenomena. Some social scientists try to stretch it waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond its parameters, though. So, in the sense that it is misused, it becomes akin to an ideology.

Evolution is the framework theory for all biological sciences. Biological sciences are one way of understanding biological phenomena - through the scientific paradigm, as it is envisioned in Western science (in Western nations). Because it rests on disproving hypotheses and not proving them, and often deals with non-directly observable phenomena, and because it is understood through the social (learning involves being taught, disseminating data involves all kinds of social conventions, etc), it is a cultural way of understanding biological phenomena.

There are other ways to understand such phenomena; other cultures do "biology" differently.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137640 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You fantasize about dave's life too?
And his signature!

<trembles>

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137641 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?
Hey! What do you mean "anthropologist sites"???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 21 min Thinking 31
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 44 min MikeF 19,040
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 2,179
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 7,396
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 10 hr NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 10 hr thetruth 115
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
More from around the web