Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137527 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, Anglicans do most of the above and are Protestant.
I know, I know...you're also not Anglican.
:)
Catholicism is a denomination, hence a subset, of Christianity.

All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics.

A Christian refers to a follower of Jesus Christ who may be a Catholic, Protestant, Gnostic, Mormon, Evangelical, Anglican or Orthodox, or follower of another branch of the religion.

A Catholic refers to a Christian who follows the Catholic religion as transmitted through the succession of Popes of Rome and the Vatican Empire across history.

The Pope is the leader of the Catholic church. The Catholic Church is the largest of the Christian Churches - about 60% of Christians are Catholic.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137528 Nov 14, 2012
So Catholics aren't Christian?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't ignore history. I know that Christians came from Catholics. But we are very different.
Christians don't do some things that Catholics do:
Attend mass.
Pray to Mary.
Have beads.
Confession to man.
Funny robes.
Priests.
Idolize the Virgin Mary.
Idolize the pope.
Have a pope.
Deny birth control.
Etc etc etc
We're vary different. I'm nothing like a catholic.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#137529 Nov 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't disagree with your assessment. However, as for myself, I have always hated being cold, especially damp cold. It was painful. I would have died very young in ages past.
Maine, where I lived for almost half of my adult life, has a saying: There's not bad weather, just bad clothes. Keep your head and feet warm and the rest of you body will be just fine.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137530 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Free will. That's how.
So your god's not omniscient.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137531 Nov 14, 2012
Numpty.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution has sects? Is that because it's a belief system too?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Embrace the grey.

#137532 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck is currently using the same avatar picture as the poster "China Garden" who was a young pathological liar troll.

Maybe it's a coincidence?

Embrace the grey.

#137533 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will. That's how.
Free will is an illusion.

Location hidden

#137534 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So your god's not omniscient.
God is, humans aren't.

Get a clue.

Location hidden

#137535 Nov 14, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
RiversideRedneck is currently using the same avatar picture as the poster "China Garden" who was a young pathological liar troll.
Maybe it's a coincidence?
Awwwww Tidey... Don't do that. I just got me an iPhone & can now upload pictures. Haven't you noticed that I've never had a pic until about a week ago?

Location hidden

#137536 Nov 14, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
So Catholics aren't Christian?
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
<quoted text>
No. We view our religions very differently.

Is that hard for you wee athitard brain to comprehend?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137537 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
My ovaries hurt when I think about him <sigh>. I often wake up dreaming I'm on that magical pilgrimage to his little water stained stucko house, with its smoke-yellow windows and slight smog hanging over the kitchen. But I'll never get there. Never be among the chosen few.
You fantasize about dave's life too?

Location hidden

#137538 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer does work. It's fine that you think it doesnt work, but understand that your belief has no basis in reality.
You say some stupid things. Several people including myself have shown you scientific evidence that prayer doesn't work, and have explained to you why personal revelation means nothing, and you are just sitting there with your fingers plugged in your ears.

Location hidden

#137539 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is still clear,..
No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?

Location hidden

#137540 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, I forget the rule of atheistic arguing....
The only sites that can be used are athi-approved sites like godchecker & the evilbible ones...
Got it. I'll try to remember that...
I never said that. Have I ever quoted evilbible to you?

Location hidden

#137542 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't live long.
Average lifespan maybe 35 or 45 years.
I think that figure is skewed by infant mortality.

Embrace the grey.

#137543 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwww Tidey... Don't do that. I just got me an iPhone & can now upload pictures. Haven't you noticed that I've never had a pic until about a week ago?
I'm willing to accept that it was just a coincidence, for now. Some here get paranoid though, so it's better if you just pick another image.

I built a profile on "China Garden" and busted him a few times when he changed accounts. If you were him, I'd've probably have noticed.

Location hidden

#137544 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't believe it when people make these claims. If you look at low tech societies, quite a few people make it into their late 60's and 70's. Yes, it's a lot less than in our careful, disease free, high food and medically mediated cultures, but in every society you're going to find people who are grandparents.
What changes in low tech societies is the ability to prevent child mortality. Mortality rates increase at all ages, but are most severe prior to age 5 - roughly 50% of children in the absence of modern medicine would die before their 5th birthday. However, if you make it to 10, you're likely to make it to 15. If you make it to 15, you're probably going to reach 25. etc., if you make it to 50, you're likely going to make it to 60.
In fact, the reason we can live so long is because of selection pressure favoring "grandparents." In low tech societies, those families who have grandparents do better than those without. Grandparents can't have kids of their own, but they add to resource collecting and knowledge. In low tech societies, old people know everything and have lived through bounty and scarcity.
When Dave talks of cold weather and claims that his ancestors couldn't live in such temperatures, he's expressing ignorance. He relies on high tech solutions and is basically physically weak. All of us are, who were raised in high tech cultures. In low tech ones, you get adjusted to the weather, have higher pain tolerances, and use different methods of survival.
Oops.. Yeah. What she said.

Embrace the grey.

#137545 Nov 14, 2012
"I'd've probably noticed."

or

"I'd probably have noticed."

I thought I'd try a double contraction but I forgot to edit out the extra "have".

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137546 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I never said that. Have I ever quoted evilbible to you?
Each time you quote the bible, you are quoting the evilbible.

See?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137547 Nov 14, 2012
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a! What an idiot! No seriously reject you really are dumber than the average Christhole posts on here!

Wow! Lulz wow!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians don't go to Catholic churches...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Patrick 21,998
Stump a theist with 2 questions 3 hr CunningLinguist 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr sriKim 120
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Jaimie 68
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 7 hr Patrick 178
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 12 hr Patrick 4,085
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Patrick 38
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••