Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,241 - 132,260 of 226,603 Comments Last updated 34 min ago
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#137487 Nov 14, 2012
Riverside Redneck, "imaginary sky people". Imaginary because they do not exist except in the imagination. Sky because the gods are supposed to exist up there, when we now know they dont. And people because the gods are man in the image of man.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137488 Nov 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Shit!!!

It's effing cold out here installing this garage door opener!!

LIFE IS AN ILLUSION!!!!

HISTORY IS AN ILLUSION!!

There are no ancient ancestors. There is no evolution.

There is no possible way that my ancestors, mostly north Europeans, could possibly have survived day after day, much less year after year, of freezing cold weather in primitive conditions. Just impossible. No way. Just easier to die than go through that crap.

Life ain't what it appears to be.
They didn't live long.

Average lifespan maybe 35 or 45 years.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137489 Nov 14, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the wars that were fought, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the suppression of science and knowledge, the systematic rape of thousands of young boys, the suppression of aid that would help stop the spread of HIV in poor and uneducated countries, the attempt to teach myth rather than science fact in our classrooms. How's that for a start!! More if you want!!
That's a terrible start. I asked about Christianity and you shot back with shit the Catholic Church has done......

Location hidden

#137490 Nov 14, 2012
Adam wrote:
Riverside Redneck, "imaginary sky people". Imaginary because they do not exist except in the imagination. Sky because the gods are supposed to exist up there, when we now know they dont. And people because the gods are man in the image of man.
lol, ok Adam...

You know you shouldn't be on this site if you're under 18.

Location hidden

#137491 Nov 14, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It has every basis in reality. That prayer doesn't work can,and has been tested under a scientifically controlled environment. There is NO evidence in reality, that prayers work. That prayer is a calming process is very true, but so is mediation. Since no evidence exists that support the answering of prayers, we know that when prayer are said to be answered, it's the result of a PERSONAL INTERPRETATION OF AN ACT OR EVENT WHO'S CIRCUMSTANCES SEEM TO WORK IN YOUR FAVOR!!!
And yes, science is the ONLY methodology we have to determine if something is true or not.
I'm sorry, what?

Location hidden

#137492 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything to help out a brother.
(.Y.)

Location hidden

#137493 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Just use scholarship, good argument and/or honesty.
The problem with apologetic sites is one of intellectual dishonesty. They quote mine, distort history, etc. I could do it as well, but you would just dismiss anything I write.
Atheist, or anti-theist sites do exactly the same. Spout opinions & bullshit.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#137494 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist, or anti-theist sites do exactly the same. Spout opinions & bullshit.
Backed by numerous independent lines of verifiable and repeatable evidence.

Something your beliefs,( i.e., YOUR opinions and bullshit) can never do.

You can believe anything you want, but when your beliefs conflict with solid science, you become an intentional liar.

Your supposed god hates liars.

Hope you have a good Nomex suit.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137495 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't live long.
I really don't believe it when people make these claims. If you look at low tech societies, quite a few people make it into their late 60's and 70's. Yes, it's a lot less than in our careful, disease free, high food and medically mediated cultures, but in every society you're going to find people who are grandparents.

What changes in low tech societies is the ability to prevent child mortality. Mortality rates increase at all ages, but are most severe prior to age 5 - roughly 50% of children in the absence of modern medicine would die before their 5th birthday. However, if you make it to 10, you're likely to make it to 15. If you make it to 15, you're probably going to reach 25. etc., if you make it to 50, you're likely going to make it to 60.

In fact, the reason we can live so long is because of selection pressure favoring "grandparents." In low tech societies, those families who have grandparents do better than those without. Grandparents can't have kids of their own, but they add to resource collecting and knowledge. In low tech societies, old people know everything and have lived through bounty and scarcity.

When Dave talks of cold weather and claims that his ancestors couldn't live in such temperatures, he's expressing ignorance. He relies on high tech solutions and is basically physically weak. All of us are, who were raised in high tech cultures. In low tech ones, you get adjusted to the weather, have higher pain tolerances, and use different methods of survival.
Atheist Silurist

Slough, UK

#137496 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What the article does not state was the source of the sepsis.
Your backward thinking is more in line with presumptuous readers such as yourself. Journalist love uninformed and gullible people that will believe anything in print. This makes it easy to shape your opinion. The article leads the reader into believing the source of the sepsis was the fetus.
Journalist are not physicians and the writer failed to cover the story in sufficient detail pointing the root cause of the illness. Men and women die of sepsis all the time. It is not an illness routinely associated with pregnancy.
An abortion may not have made any difference as the readers presume. People do get sepsis outside of pregnancy and 30 to 70% this leads to death. Assuming an abortion would save the life of the Mother is naive.
Wiki:
The most common primary sources of infection resulting in sepsis are the lungs, the abdomen and the urinary tract. In a third of cases no source is found. The infectious agents are usually bacteria but can also be fungi and viruses.
Apologetic sheep.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#137497 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a terrible start. I asked about Christianity and you shot back with shit the Catholic Church has done......
So...Catholics are NOT Christians? Who knew!!!! You asked what harm Christianity had done, I answered it. Sorry if it upsets you. Would you like me to address each of the hundreds of Christian religions separately?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137498 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Who uses atheist websites? I only post links to science articles or news articles reporting on science.

Oh, you mean about the Bible? Like, different interpretations?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137499 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
RR - in my above paragraph, I wrote "apologetic" not "Christian apologetic" so we're in agreement here.

Any kind of apologetic site is going to presented cherry picked, biased information. You can't really grow intellectually from such sites, though people generally like to search for information that backs up their understanding of the world around them. Very few seek out contrary positions to test their knowledge. Those who do probably have more sophisticated understandings of their belief system, though.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#137500 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't live long.
There were lots that lived longer. You have plenty of mountain men that lived to riper old ages, and they lived rough. Most of my alleged male ancestors lived to older age.

Cold weather is brutality. It goes beyond just a simple will to live to endure it. People die for the damndest reasons for this evolutionary "will to survive" to be such a driving force. Just look at those Russians and Germans in WWII living in sub-zero weather working with cold metal. Was easy to die, just sit still long enough in the cold and suffer a little pain, but something more than themselves kept them waking up the next day and going on. Yes, many died, but many more survived. Or were forced to beyond the physical level.

Many years ago I spent hours on a concrete floor in 5 degree weather under a car changing a clutch in a thin jacket. Just kept going. The cold starts shutting the brain down. You just keep going. Out in the frozen fields of Europe with death all around, a way of life, so to speak, and no end in sight, all you had to do was want to go to sleep, and it would all be over.

The individual is not as much in control of their destiny as they would like to think.

I have to sit here and cool my heels until late morning and it warms up enough to finish that damned thing.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#137501 Nov 14, 2012
Riverside Redneck, your hostility to the catholic church just highlights your ignorance of history. remember they were the ones that compiled your magic story book :)

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#137502 Nov 14, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Great, thanks. Been very busy recently, done a lot of travelling.
Hope life is treating you well in that there North.
<quoted text>
Nothing much has changed on topix, there has been an almost insignificant turnover of crustards as some fell by the wayside and others tried their luck with the same old stories, other than that. same, same

Life is great thanks, except of course the weather and taxes but hey, we canít have it all.

Welcome home

“Live Good, & Feel Good.”

Since: Aug 09

Atl.

#137503 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Call it "punctuated equilibrium" if you want. It's often opposed to "gradualism" but the mechanisms of evolution are the same. They don't change.
The changes that occur lie in the increased deaths of individuals, the increase of selection pressure due to changing environmental conditions.
hiding!...how you been!. long time no speak to. I thought you were supposed to meet me at the Incheon airport for tea during my layover? you dare stand me up:)

That is probably the coolest airport I have ever been in. South Koreans are so nice...they make you want to come back. Anyways my month long asia trip was marvelous. the cuisine with so many cultures is so delicious.

oh yeah...hi the rest of you (cough)'atheists' ROFLMBO. Still see you guys are still in your delusional BANG!..universe..non life...to life..marilyn monroe fantasy <grin>. Hope you all are well.

Location hidden

#137504 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Backed by numerous independent lines of verifiable and repeatable evidence.
Something your beliefs,( i.e., YOUR opinions and bullshit) can never do.
You can believe anything you want, but when your beliefs conflict with solid science, you become an intentional liar.
Your supposed god hates liars.
Hope you have a good Nomex suit.
Ya right! evilbible dotcom is backed by verifiable sources???????

Location hidden

#137505 Nov 14, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So...Catholics are NOT Christians? Who knew!!!! You asked what harm Christianity had done, I answered it. Sorry if it upsets you. Would you like me to address each of the hundreds of Christian religions separately?
Christians don't go to Catholic churches...

Christians don't follow (or care) what the pope has to say.

Christians don't follow (or care) what the Vatican has to say.

Get your religions straight.

Location hidden

#137506 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Who uses atheist websites? I only post links to science articles or news articles reporting on science.
Oh, you mean about the Bible? Like, different interpretations?
Don't be stupid. Lots of atheists post links & quotes from atheist websites.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 20 min MUQ1 21,535
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 5 hr Amused 17
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Jaimie 62
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr Thinking 438
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 19 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 23 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist Mon _Bad Company 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••