Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239089 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137539 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is still clear,..
No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137540 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, I forget the rule of atheistic arguing....
The only sites that can be used are athi-approved sites like godchecker & the evilbible ones...
Got it. I'll try to remember that...
I never said that. Have I ever quoted evilbible to you?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137542 Nov 14, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't live long.
Average lifespan maybe 35 or 45 years.
I think that figure is skewed by infant mortality.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#137543 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwww Tidey... Don't do that. I just got me an iPhone & can now upload pictures. Haven't you noticed that I've never had a pic until about a week ago?
I'm willing to accept that it was just a coincidence, for now. Some here get paranoid though, so it's better if you just pick another image.

I built a profile on "China Garden" and busted him a few times when he changed accounts. If you were him, I'd've probably have noticed.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137544 Nov 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't believe it when people make these claims. If you look at low tech societies, quite a few people make it into their late 60's and 70's. Yes, it's a lot less than in our careful, disease free, high food and medically mediated cultures, but in every society you're going to find people who are grandparents.
What changes in low tech societies is the ability to prevent child mortality. Mortality rates increase at all ages, but are most severe prior to age 5 - roughly 50% of children in the absence of modern medicine would die before their 5th birthday. However, if you make it to 10, you're likely to make it to 15. If you make it to 15, you're probably going to reach 25. etc., if you make it to 50, you're likely going to make it to 60.
In fact, the reason we can live so long is because of selection pressure favoring "grandparents." In low tech societies, those families who have grandparents do better than those without. Grandparents can't have kids of their own, but they add to resource collecting and knowledge. In low tech societies, old people know everything and have lived through bounty and scarcity.
When Dave talks of cold weather and claims that his ancestors couldn't live in such temperatures, he's expressing ignorance. He relies on high tech solutions and is basically physically weak. All of us are, who were raised in high tech cultures. In low tech ones, you get adjusted to the weather, have higher pain tolerances, and use different methods of survival.
Oops.. Yeah. What she said.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#137545 Nov 14, 2012
"I'd've probably noticed."

or

"I'd probably have noticed."

I thought I'd try a double contraction but I forgot to edit out the extra "have".

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137546 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I never said that. Have I ever quoted evilbible to you?
Each time you quote the bible, you are quoting the evilbible.

See?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137547 Nov 14, 2012
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a! What an idiot! No seriously reject you really are dumber than the average Christhole posts on here!

Wow! Lulz wow!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians don't go to Catholic churches...
.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137548 Nov 14, 2012
As you said, Christians don't go to a Catholic Church!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a! Idiot! Brain dead reject! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Pffffftttt bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!

Oh wow you just made Dave and Buck look smarter by comparison and that takes effort! Rotflmfao!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. We view our religions very differently.
Is that hard for you wee athitard brain to comprehend?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137549 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You say some stupid things. Several people including myself have shown you scientific evidence that prayer doesn't work, and have explained to you why personal revelation means nothing, and you are just sitting there with your fingers plugged in your ears.
No I'm not. Prayer does work. I've experienced it working first hand! So whatever "tests" you've offered up, they're obviusly inconclusive.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#137550 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?
The only controversy on evolution is how it happened, the timeline. I think we're still learning about it & have a long to go.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#137551 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The only controversy on evolution is how it happened, the timeline. I think we're still learning about it & have a long to go.
Which is what science is. It's an ongoing investigation. Tomorrows discoveries can change everything. Religion simply can't grasp that concept.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137552 Nov 14, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Each time you quote the bible, you are quoting the evilbible.
See?
Clever, this one.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137553 Nov 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not. There is no controversy about whether or not evolution happened. At all. Can you find proof that there is from a reliable source, or can you only find these assertions on apologist sites?
Evolution is a, he said, she said, we think, possibly could have science or so called science. There is a mountain full of evidence (imaginary).

I can see the correlation of evolution and the children’s book,

The Emperors New Clothes, by Hans Christian Anderson.

From Wiki:

A vain Emperor who cares for nothing but his appearance and attire hires two tailors who are really swindlers that promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position; his ministers do the same.

When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects, who play along with the pretense. Suddenly, a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others.

The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession, deciding never to be so vain again and to take his position more seriously.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137554 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The only controversy on evolution is how it happened, the timeline. I think we're still learning about it & have a long to go.
Ok? You made it seem as if the actual process of evolution was in question. Our knowledge of any past event can never be perfect.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137555 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not. Prayer does work. I've experienced it working first hand! So whatever "tests" you've offered up, they're obviusly inconclusive.
Good lord. Ok. This is going no where. The tests were no inconclusive. The results were very clear, the methodology was sound - therefore the only way to explain the results without discounting the power of prayer is to invoke a trickster god. Is your god a trickster?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#137556 Nov 14, 2012
Says the reject who doesn't know that Catholics are Christian!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not. Prayer does work. I've experienced it working first hand! So whatever "tests" you've offered up, they're obviusly inconclusive.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137557 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a, he said, she said, we think, possibly could have science or so called science. There is a mountain full of evidence (imaginary).
I can see the correlation of evolution and the children’s book,
The Emperors New Clothes, by Hans Christian Anderson.
From Wiki:
A vain Emperor who cares for nothing but his appearance and attire hires two tailors who are really swindlers that promise him the finest, best suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position; his ministers do the same.
When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they mime dressing him and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects, who play along with the pretense. Suddenly, a child in the crowd, too young to understand the desirability of keeping up the pretense, blurts out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others.
The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession, deciding never to be so vain again and to take his position more seriously.
How many times are you going to post a summary of that book? You do know that the phrase has entered everyday language and that you can say "the emperor has no clothes" and people will know what you mean, right?

Also, if you would care to educate yourself on evolution, you would see that your analogy makes no sense whatsoever.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137558 Nov 14, 2012
The theory of evolution is like clothes made of invisible fabric. Just get all dressed up in those invisible clothes and take a stroll.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137560 Nov 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will. That's how.
Don't be silly, there is no such thing as "free will" it's an illusion. Your God, or so you say, is all knowing, all powerful, there is nothing this god doesn't know including the future. He knows exactly what choices you are going to make, you have no choice but to choose the pathway God has set for you. Do you think you could choose a different path than the one God has preordained for you? Or don't you think God knows what path you are going to take? If what you say is true about your God thing, then "free will" is simply an illusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 2 hr superwilly 106
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 4 hr thetruth 7,459
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr thetruth 7,360
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 21 hr hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web