Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
132,181 - 132,200 of 226,368 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137426 Nov 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I tell you, Tim?
Eagle is utterly hopeless.
I know. I was just trying to help him out.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#137427 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh the ole,
“I know everything and you know nothing.”
That one is a bit worn and it shows your narcissism too much. You best go back into the dressing room and come out with something more smashing darling. Not that ole worn out stuff that makes you look much older than you are.
Now you are dodging the entire content of my post. How sad, you actually provide evidence that asserts that I know way more than you, and this is a perfect example of such. I don't make the assertion, your own posts make that assertion, I just go with the evidence.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#137428 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Some cultures? I thought that was high school.
You...uhm...drank urine in high school to get at magic mushroom metabolites?

Wow. Neat.

Location hidden

#137429 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You...uhm...drank urine in high school to get at magic mushroom metabolites?
Wow. Neat.
Lol.. no, I did not. T'was a joke.

Location hidden

#137430 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Time to turn and burn.
You guys are always fun. See ya!
I like to type out an incredibly stupid post before bed too! We have something in common!

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#137431 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Not so much actually. There's something about piss that just doesn't agree with me. I don't know, I might be strange here, and I know it's your drink of choice, but I just can't imagine piss is all that tasty.
Do you drink it for health reasons? Some people - incorrectly - think it helps you lose weight. Others think it has some kind of medicinal properties. There're a few cultures where the people take magic mushrooms, get high, and then drink their urine because the metabolites of magic mushrooms also make you high. Reindeer will actually drink the piss of humans who've ingested drunks like magic mushrooms for these reasons - aggressively.
Sometimes lesbians just can't help it. Even I can't dodge that.

What's the alternative? Goggles and face mask kinda cuts down on my prospective sexual partners.

You gotta take the bad with the good.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#137432 Nov 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fat chance.
I bet on that horse once or twice.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137433 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Lol.. no, I did not. T'was a joke.
<washing mouth with soap>

No, no, dearest, you just lie back down. I'll be right there.

<gargling mouthwash>

Yes, just keep the blindfold on. One sec. Be right there.

<grabbing clothes>

Oh? The mushrooms? In the bedpan, next to your pants.

<slamming door, running>

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137434 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously. He displays an effortless ability to understand the universe - but will be share his world changing paradigm shift with the world? No, of course not, for he is too humble for that. He fashions himself a modern day Socrates, playfully questioning our perceptions, daring us to dream, daring us to think, and daring us to install a massive industrial electromagnet in the garage. To dave, a true visionary.
My ovaries hurt when I think about him <sigh>. I often wake up dreaming I'm on that magical pilgrimage to his little water stained stucko house, with its smoke-yellow windows and slight smog hanging over the kitchen. But I'll never get there. Never be among the chosen few.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137435 Nov 13, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes lesbians just can't help it. Even I can't dodge that.
What's the alternative? Goggles and face mask kinda cuts down on my prospective sexual partners.
You gotta take the bad with the good.
Well done then.

Perfume helps. The French used to do it for their lovers - spray down below. Mind you, I think bathing was a novelty at that time.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#137436 Nov 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
First, I don't say "god isn't real," what I have actually said, and what I continue to say, is that there is no demonstrably reliable evidence to support the notion of any form of creator, thus it is nothing more than fanciful dreams, however, purporting that something is real based on zero evidence is the very definition of delusional. As to prayer, all data on prayer demonstrates it to be as reliable as chance alone. In other words, people are better off rolling the dice than praying. No supportive evidence justifies a lack of belief, no demonstrable evidence demands that one does not believe.
What constitutes as "demonstrably reliable evidence"? I find it fascinating to observe how people can couch their language in a way to make things more complicated than they really are. The real test of the ability to articulate one's beliefs is how simple they can be explained. Anyone can make something simple into something complicated. Like this:

I would like to give my example stated in paragraph 1 of this reply as both a demonstration of the complexities that can be found in the semantics and diction of the English language AND as an unqualified statement of reasonable assurance of what I have found to be true based on several substantive tests of details of the subject matter at hand as well as various analytically procedures used to reduce the risk of tolerable misstatement which is not limited to the context of this forum. A book has come into my possession which has presented me with persuasive evidence that there is in fact a God. If you care to inquire about it, I will provide further explanation.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

#137437 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well done then.
Perfume helps. The French used to do it for their lovers - spray down below. Mind you, I think bathing was a novelty at that time.
I'm thinking the hands grabbing the edges of the bed and the arching back has something to do with the stream of piss.

I'll have to research this in much greater detail. I'll let you know.

Chicago, IL

#137438 Nov 13, 2012
I just prayed that you would say something really effing stupid and bang! My prayer came true! Thank you ceiling fan!

:))
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact Christianity has saved millions through our hospitals, giving food to the hungry, clothing and shoes. Building schools and drilling fresh water wells in poor schools. Reaching out to the homeless. Drug and Alcohol rehab centers, and prison outreach.
Lives saved by Atheist Hospitals, and generous giving?
Zilch……
Those that died under Atheist leadership, ohhhh only about 180 million.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#137439 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I just prayed that you would say something really effing stupid and bang! My prayer came true! Thank you ceiling fan!
:))
<quoted text>
1)The silent whirring of the ceiling fan removes all doubt, for it would say something if it didn't approve, no?-Revolution 1:1

Chicago, IL

#137440 Nov 13, 2012
Peace and cooling circulated air be upon thee.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> 1)The silent whirring of the ceiling fan removes all doubt, for it would say something if it didn't approve, no?-Revolution 1:1

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#137441 Nov 14, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm thinking the hands grabbing the edges of the bed and the arching back has something to do with the stream of piss.
I'll have to research this in much greater detail. I'll let you know.
Please do. You'll need at least a sample size of 30 individuals to say anything statistically useful.
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137442 Nov 14, 2012
christard nobshite.
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>14Nov12.....
.....You obviously have Not drank Black Ice.
Ps:....or Bubra No. 5
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#137443 Nov 14, 2012
Thinking wrote:
christard nobshite.
<quoted text>
A draw against those bloody Aussies :(

Still, well done, Michael Clarke. One of the premier batsmen in cricket, mehinks
Thinking

Dalry, UK

#137444 Nov 14, 2012
A record for Brisbane, I believe? Hell of a knock.
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
A draw against those bloody Aussies :(
Still, well done, Michael Clarke. One of the premier batsmen in cricket, mehinks

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#137445 Nov 14, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“these beliefs need to be snuffed out.”
What you are talking about is censorship. The government controlling religious beliefs so as to represent your own ideology. What happened to separation of Church and State?
No, it is called education. How many gods have been abandoned, once the followers were Educated? States with the lower educational score rank higher in religious beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 4 min CunningLinguist 37
100% Faith Free 18 min Patrick 13
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 22 min Patrick 6
The Ultimate Evidence of God 27 min Patrick 60
Our world came from nothing? 35 min CunningLinguist 429
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Patrick 52
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 6 hr Patrick 173
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••