Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137384 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
In Dave's explanation to you above, he's missing information. Instead of "carcinogens" he should have written "mutagens" since that would include radioactive sources of somatic cell mutation, chemicals, and faulty DNA repair events (the most prevalent cause of cancer).
Carcinogens are simply one class of mutagens, not the whole picture.
But if you wear a tinfoil hat, you might be able to avoid them.
I kinda glazed over his post, but thank you. I thought he was still going on about cell phone towers.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137385 Nov 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. You're ignorant of prayer. Thanks for clearing that up.
Yes, I'm ignorant of prayer, just like I'm ignorant of the weather conditions in Perter Pan's Never-Never Land.

By definition ignorance is the lacking of knowledge or awareness about something in particular. I'm fully aware of what prayer is, I have knowledge about whats involved in the act of praying, so your wrong about my ignorance. You silently ask a favor of a fictitious being in the hopes that he/she/it will grant you the favor. When the favor you ask doesn't happen, you rationalize by saying, "God doesn't answer all prayers just some. If mere chance just happens to create the correct circumstance for your payer, then you proclaim it a God given miracle. However, these miracles ALWAYS involve an act, or event than could be attributed to any number of other possibilities. Thats why we never see miracles happen that involve only ONE possibility, as in regeneration of a limb, or the disappearance of the HIV virus, or bringing back to life a LONG dead loved one. If you think a pleading to a mythical being has manifested itself to you, then one of these three possibilities exists:

1.) You have made a personal interpretation of an event or circumstance that appears to work in your favor.

2.) You have experienced some kind of delusional episode where this miracle exist only in your mind and cannot be confirmed by anyone else.

3.) You have become totally insane.
Moldilocks

Asia/Pacific Region

#137386 Nov 13, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
That atheist love shining through.
At least he didn't drown everybody in the world. God loves you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#137387 Nov 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing your own family for land and justifying it by calling them "witches" is goodness to you? You are twisted.
In fact Christianity has saved millions through our hospitals, giving food to the hungry, clothing and shoes. Building schools and drilling fresh water wells in poor schools. Reaching out to the homeless. Drug and Alcohol rehab centers, and prison outreach.

Lives saved by Atheist Hospitals, and generous giving?

Zilch……

Those that died under Atheist leadership, ohhhh only about 180 million.

Southern Illinois

#137388 Nov 13, 2012
correction: in poor countries.

Southern Illinois

#137389 Nov 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very poor dodge.
And by the way, I have nothing against religion. I don't know where you got that idea.
You have nothing against religion?

Just like a wolf has nothing against sheep?

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#137390 Nov 13, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Great, thanks. Been very busy recently, done a lot of travelling.
Hope life is treating you well in that there North.
<quoted text>
14Nov12.....

.....Naw.

Ps:....You just continue to live off the avails fo yer French woman who has rocks in her head.

....and den sum tooooo.

Foreve and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#137392 Nov 13, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Didn't you mean p!ss?
<quoted text>
14Nov12.....

.....Naw.

Ps:...she means Guiness...da poor mans drink in yer neck of da woods.

Try 'Libfromelch'.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#137393 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect the right of anybody to believe whatever he or she wants.

Nor do I have anything against sheep.

So you're safe, dude!

Southern Illinois

#137394 Nov 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It is not bigoted to point out racism/sexism/homophobia being present in a religion's teachings. Religion is not sacred and free from criticism. Ugly, backwards beliefs should be called out and extinguished. Your bible teaches many ugly, backwards things, and these beliefs need to be snuffed out. Just to be clear, I am not saying that christianity should be snuffed out, just the many repugnant things that it teaches - I feel the need to state this clearly so that I don't reactivate your delusions of persecution.
“these beliefs need to be snuffed out.”

What you are talking about is censorship. The government controlling religious beliefs so as to represent your own ideology. What happened to separation of Church and State?

Location hidden

#137395 Nov 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You like Budweiser?!? Blach!!!
One sip for me, instant migraine. It has some chemical in it that gets boys not laid. No joke - full on migraine.
!4Nov12....

.....so vot is yer drink???

Ps:.....Piss!!!

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#137396 Nov 13, 2012
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I'm ignorant of prayer, just like I'm ignorant of the weather conditions in Perter Pan's Never-Never Land.
By definition ignorance is the lacking of knowledge or awareness about something in particular. I'm fully aware of what prayer is, I have knowledge about whats involved in the act of praying, so your wrong about my ignorance. You silently ask a favor of a fictitious being in the hopes that he/she/it will grant you the favor. When the favor you ask doesn't happen, you rationalize by saying, "God doesn't answer all prayers just some. If mere chance just happens to create the correct circumstance for your payer, then you proclaim it a God given miracle. However, these miracles ALWAYS involve an act, or event than could be attributed to any number of other possibilities. Thats why we never see miracles happen that involve only ONE possibility, as in regeneration of a limb, or the disappearance of the HIV virus, or bringing back to life a LONG dead loved one. If you think a pleading to a mythical being has manifested itself to you, then one of these three possibilities exists:
1.) You have made a personal interpretation of an event or circumstance that appears to work in your favor.
2.) You have experienced some kind of delusional episode where this miracle exist only in your mind and cannot be confirmed by anyone else.
3.) You have become totally insane.
4)Jesus.

Location hidden

#137398 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're getting your analogies mixed up. I thought he was a chihuahua?

Location hidden

#137399 Nov 13, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the old jingle, "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."? there's something to that. Weak American lagers may lack any character worth mentioning, but their alcohol content is also lower, so you can drink more of them without getting sloppy drunk. Me, I'd rather have one or maybe two really good beers (or glasses of win) than a six pack of Bud Light, but I have friends who prefer the latter. At the end of the evening, we both drive home safely.
14Nov12.....

.....You obviously have Not drank Black Ice.

Ps:....or Bubra No. 5

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#137400 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are talking about is censorship. The government controlling religious beliefs so as to represent your own ideology. What happened to separation of Church and State?
When did he ever mention government intervention?

You build and knock down straw men like a disgruntled crow.

Crow12.

Location hidden

#137401 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not censorship. Free speech has limits. We do not allow hate speech, for instance, and some things that your religion preaches constitute hate speech.

Stop having such a persecution complex. No one wants the government to control whether or not you can believe in skydaddy, I am simply of the opinion that hateful rhetoric and hateful beliefs should not be able to hide under the guise of "religious freedom." You are not free to hate and discriminate based on what some old book tells you.

Location hidden

#137402 Nov 13, 2012
Thinking wrote:
I get your reasoning. I'm lucky to have four village pubs within 1.6 miles of my house so I can drink what I want and walk the dog back home if I'm not legal to drive.
<quoted text>
14Nov12......\

.....You are Never legal to drive. You just don't have a licence....and you do Not have a house. You live in a sod shack basement apartment in some farmer's outHouse.

Ps: Also da dog (Your wife) is drunk as usual.

BobLoblah welcomes you, ya scumbag back....for more of da same.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#137403 Nov 13, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
When did he ever mention government intervention?
You build and knock down straw men like a disgruntled crow.
Crow12.
"Disgruntled cow" lol.

Location hidden

#137404 Nov 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first "statement" is not a complete sentence.
"...a average" IQ?
14Nov12.....

.....'an'.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Southern Illinois

#137405 Nov 13, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect the right of anybody to believe whatever he or she wants.
Nor do I have anything against sheep.
So you're safe, dude!
Now you are trying to be a chameleon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 min Dak-Original 22,377
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 20 min Chimney1 344
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 5 hr Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Reason Personified 484
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr NightSerf 932
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 9 hr P_Smith 1
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 12 hr BeHereNow 134
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE