Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,606)

Showing posts 132,101 - 132,120 of223,207
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You suffer from confirmation bias, so it's easy to know that your prayers were not "answered," you just accepted things as they are then gave your imaginary friend good marks no matter what happened.
Are you not using confirmation bias when you say that Hod isn't real & prayer does nothing?

Yes, you are.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh?????
I've never said anything even similar to that....
Besides, I'm not a creationist. I'm a theistic evolutionist, so......
.... You're really confused.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
We might be able to detect them with a camera, perhaps, but not with our eyes. They would be visible to the camera, but still invisible to us.
That's how I do my ghost huntin'.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>How is prayer a non scientific property? It may involve some non testable things (like god), but assessing whether or not it works is completely within the bounds of science. "Prayer works" is a positive claim, and it is testable. It has failed many tests.
And you can believe that all you want, but the evidence says that prayer doesn't work; also, you should realize that your strong belief means about as much to a skeptic as someone strongly believing in ms. cleo.
And how am I being pointless? I don't plan on changing your mind, but you can't expect to make claims that are substantiated only by your strong belief and not expect to get called out. Prayer doesn't work, as far as we know, and it is easy to explain why people believe so strongly in it without invoking the actions of some unknown deity.
Prayer does work, as far as I know.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then why do you deny scientific data that was used to discover evolution?
I don't. I deny the opinionated "facts" regarding what we call ToE.

The theory concerning the evolution of man is under increased scrutiny due to the persistence of gaps in the fossil record, the inability to demonstrate "life-or-death" determining advantageous genetic mutations, and the lack of experiments or observations to truly confirm the evidence for speciation. Overall, the evolution of man pervades as the accepted paradigm on the origin of man within the scientific community. This is not because it has been proven scientifically, but because alternative viewpoints bring with them metaphysical implications which go against the modern naturalistic paradigm. Nevertheless, a closer examination of the evidence reveals evolution to be increasingly less scientific and more reliant upon beliefs, not proof.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I just read through that - I believe the relevant exchange takes place at the very beginning - hiding was talking about her microwave interfering with her wireless signal, and then you told her that she "ought to see what they have done to your brain," and that her "epigenomes (sic) are in serious straights." You implied that simply being in the presence of these devices was affecting her brain and her genome.
She said EM has no effect on epigenomes. I provided an example where it does. It can be very fast with the high intensity stuff, and it can also occur from frequent exposure to lower power.

Why do you think there is all the fuss about cell phones and their towers, high tension lines, and other sources of EM transmissions?

Under the right circumstances it can knock a needed molecule in a genome out of whack.

That is one of the reasons mutations occur.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not something is visual depends on us, the viewers, not on the object in question.
There are better ways of describing the characteristics of objects that say nothing of the viewer's perspective.
There are probably objects that humans can't see, that really do exist. They may even reflect light. We wouldn't call those things visible. We would call them invisible. We might be able to detect them with a camera, perhaps, but not with our eyes. They would be visible to the camera, but still invisible to us.
People who have visual hallucinations see things that don't really exist. These hallucinations are visible to them, but invisible to anyone else. The visible/invisible label doesn't necessarily say anything about the object.
I see. Right now I am invisible to you, even though I am cleat visible.

I was using the "invisible" in an elementary manner.

I withdraw.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It is not bigoted to point out racism/sexism/homophobia being present in a religion's teachings. Religion is not sacred and free from criticism. Ugly, backwards beliefs should be called out and extinguished. Your bible teaches many ugly, backwards things, and these beliefs need to be snuffed out. Just to be clear, I am not saying that christianity should be snuffed out, just the many repugnant things that it teaches - I feel the need to state this clearly so that I don't reactivate your delusions of persecution.
You're missing his point. He's saying that bigotry, racism, etc is not expressed in the Bible. What people *do* is not relevant to what the Bible actually says & teaches.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer does work, as far as I know.
Voodoo works, as far as I know.

Sounds kinda dumb, doesn't it?

It's fine that you think it works, but understand that your belief has no basis in reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's spelled "confoosed".....

Geesh

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
She said EM has no effect on epigenomes. I provided an example where it does. It can be very fast with the high intensity stuff, and it can also occur from frequent exposure to lower power.
Why do you think there is all the fuss about cell phones and their towers, high tension lines, and other sources of EM transmissions?
Under the right circumstances it can knock a needed molecule in a genome out of whack.
That is one of the reasons mutations occur.
As far as I know "all the fuss" has been blown out of proportion a little bit. Either way, you're being kind of ridiculous. It was clear from the context of the conversation that she meant microwaves don't affect your epigenome during regular use; obviously your epigenome is affected if you cook it. It would be like if I claimed that being around aluminum can affect your epigenome because you might get run over by an aluminum car.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing his point. He's saying that bigotry, racism, etc is not expressed in the Bible. What people *do* is not relevant to what the Bible actually says & teaches.
Those things totally are expressed in the bible, what book are you reading?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
The only way you can reconcile your mythical deity belief and the reality of evolution is to blend the two.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. I deny the opinionated "facts" regarding what we call ToE.
The theory concerning the evolution of man is under increased scrutiny due to the persistence of gaps in the fossil record, the inability to demonstrate "life-or-death" determining advantageous genetic mutations, and the lack of experiments or observations to truly confirm the evidence for speciation. Overall, the evolution of man pervades as the accepted paradigm on the origin of man within the scientific community. This is not because it has been proven scientifically, but because alternative viewpoints bring with them metaphysical implications which go against the modern naturalistic paradigm. Nevertheless, a closer examination of the evidence reveals evolution to be increasingly less scientific and more reliant upon beliefs, not proof.
http://www.allaboutscience.org /evolution-of-man.htm

You shouldn't get your talking points from badly disguised apologist websites. " Allaboutscience.org " LOL

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít operate in non Christian realms. But I do believe there have been miracles in non Christian environments. I attribute these miracles to the dark side.
Wow. It is stunning how indoctrinated you are into dehumanizing others.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Actually, that little nugget of wisdom is all over the internet, so I don't know exactly where you got it, but still - apologist sites are bad, mkay?

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, we can cook it. Dave delivered a knockout blow to your credibility with that one.
hahaha

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. Right now I am invisible to you, even though I am cleat visible.
I was using the "invisible" in an elementary manner.
I withdraw.
Say it like Rooster.

"I bow out!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. "Gets boys not laid"? Boys can't handle alcohol.
Why are you hunting boys any not men?
'cause men have grey chest hair and need to squint

hee, hee, hee

:-p

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 132,101 - 132,120 of223,207
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••