Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,605)

Showing posts 132,081 - 132,100 of223,138
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that you are adamant that it works doesn't mean that it works. The fact that people think their prayers have been answered only indicate how strongly people believe in prayer. Why do you ignore the studies that have been cited for you? Are they the work of the devil? Does god throw off the results to mess with people? I don't understand how you can rationalize that.
I don't pay too much attention to a scientific study of a non-scientific property.

Besides, I KNOW that prayer works. God has answered my prayers.

You don't have to believe me, but you're being pointless by arguing it with me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>There's no point in arguing semantics. If there was no way to see it, it was invisible. That's what invisible means - not visible. Invisible does not mean not there.
I guess we're talking about the same thing in a different way.
DNA was never invisible - never not visible. It was always visible, we just had to find a way to see it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I will say even though nightserf is one of the better writers here he doesn't harp on people for misspellings , which in a forum like topix is trivial anyway. I suppose that was funny to you though , and yes I did notice it , because of the rarity of him making such trivial mistakes.
On second thought if win can be bottled , uncork a case!
'twas a yoke :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
Creatards are the type to say "humans are not evolving, we just look different than 100 years ago." People like RR.
Eh?????

I've never said anything even similar to that....

Besides, I'm not a creationist. I'm a theistic evolutionist, so......

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't pay too much attention to a scientific study of a non-scientific property.
You suffer from confirmation bias, so it's easy to know that your prayers were not "answered," you just accepted things as they are then gave your imaginary friend good marks no matter what happened.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me this: If your religion taught that black people were lesser beings, and should be kept apart from white people, then would you be a bigot if you promoted segregation, or would you just be exercising your freedom of speech or religion?
I'll give you a third option: Both.
Bigotry is bigotry, dude. Even if couched as exercising your own freedoms.
“If your religion taught…..”

This hypothetical equation is not congruent to what the Bible teaches. And my religion does not teach racial segregation.

Nothing you have said releases you from your intolerance for religion. That Sir is bigotry, and you are awkwardly trying to realign bigotry to include people of faith. However the official definition of the word,“bigot” does not align with your skewed definition.

Bigotry is an ugly word. But the practice of bigotry is even more repulsive. I can’t stop your bigotry. Only you have control over this. And you’re not reprieved by trying to push the bigotry label off on someone else.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA was never invisible - never not visible. It was always visible, we just had to find a way to see it.
Can you see it without a microscope?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I can let you borrow a shovel if you want.
How kind of you.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How is prayer a non scientific property? It may involve some non testable things (like god), but assessing whether or not it works is completely within the bounds of science. "Prayer works" is a positive claim, and it is testable. It has failed many tests.

And you can believe that all you want, but the evidence says that prayer doesn't work; also, you should realize that your strong belief means about as much to a skeptic as someone strongly believing in ms. cleo.

And how am I being pointless? I don't plan on changing your mind, but you can't expect to make claims that are substantiated only by your strong belief and not expect to get called out. Prayer doesn't work, as far as we know, and it is easy to explain why people believe so strongly in it without invoking the actions of some unknown deity.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

The Microwave

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are le

Hey, I discovered something you'll find interesting: my download speed was negatively impacted by my microwave oven. I tested it repeatedly. My wireless signal was interfered with when the microwave was on. So, one EM field is interfering with the other.

See? I knew you'd like that.

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I discovered something you'll find interesting: my download speed was negatively impacted by my microwave oven. I tested it repeatedly. My wireless signal was interfered with when the microwave was on. So, one EM field is interfering with the other.
See? I knew you'd like that.

You ought to see what they have done to your brain.

Your epigenomes are in serious straits.

Get a tin foil hat, but make sure you have a grounded wire connected to it. You get a resonant cavity without it, which makes it even worse.

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
EM doesn't do anything to epigenetics.

Have someone put you in a microwave and turn it on. You will find you are wrong.

Same goes for any high intensity high frequency EM emissions such as radar beams.

If it can cook your flesh, it will rearrange your molecules. Such as those involved in epigenomes.

There should be quite a body of info on that on the net.

You do not know what EM is or does. Quit pretending.

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That was rich. "It affects your epigenome by cooking it." LOL

Glad you liked it.

Why do you cook your food? Besides just to kill organisms.

Elements have a melting point. Compounds made of elements(what else?) also have different melting points. Depending on the compound and heat sinking of its molecules, the heat transfer rate affects the elements on the atomic scale. You can easily break chains of molecules and rearrange the molecular construction.

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, Dave. Sure. You can cook DNA, no problem. Standing near an electric field, like the one given off by my computer or my microwave, is not going to do anything to my methyl binding sites.

Who said anything about standing beside those items. Besides you?

That wasn't what I posted.

You are dishonest. Do you do the same with your research?

imn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But it *can* affect your epigenome! Dave already explained it.

By saying we can cook it. And then claiming I lied about that. Yes, yes he did.

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a completely different thing. I said have someone put you in a microwave, and referred to radar beams.
You go to such lengths to twist things to imagine you are winning an argument on a stupid forum. You would surely do the same to win fame and glory with a research paper. I am sure you are marked by others to undergo a very stringent peer review. They should, anyhow.

No, Dave, you said that microwaves could affect my epigenome by cooking it ONLY AFTER I pointed out that standing near a microwave would do nothing. You immediately moved the goal posts because you're a small man and you need to not be wrong about anything.

I'm not trying to "win" against your stupid inability to remember what you wrote, or the insane gibberish that you write. No one can "win" an argument with someone who is not rational and does not respect logical thinking like you.

I'm correcting your dishonest labeling of me as a liar.

You are dishonest.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh?????
I've never said anything even similar to that....
Besides, I'm not a creationist. I'm a theistic evolutionist, so......
So then why do you deny scientific data that was used to discover evolution?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we're talking about a different thing in the same way.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
Creatards are the type to say "humans are not evolving, we just look different than 100 years ago." People like RR.
The mind of a super hero speaks, a freakazoid. Fighting sanity with insanity. Fighting right with wrong and calling for the end of all manor of goodness. How refreshing darling………….

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then why do you deny scientific data that was used to discover evolution?
Evolution is more of an idea, a thought, it's not real except in micro evolution.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not something is visual depends on us, the viewers, not on the object in question.

There are better ways of describing the characteristics of objects that say nothing of the viewer's perspective.

There are probably objects that humans can't see, that really do exist. They may even reflect light. We wouldn't call those things visible. We would call them invisible. We might be able to detect them with a camera, perhaps, but not with our eyes. They would be visible to the camera, but still invisible to us.

People who have visual hallucinations see things that don't really exist. These hallucinations are visible to them, but invisible to anyone else. The visible/invisible label doesn't necessarily say anything about the object.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
The Microwave
I just read through that - I believe the relevant exchange takes place at the very beginning - hiding was talking about her microwave interfering with her wireless signal, and then you told her that she "ought to see what they have done to your brain," and that her "epigenomes (sic) are in serious straights." You implied that simply being in the presence of these devices was affecting her brain and her genome.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The mind of a super hero speaks, a freakazoid. Fighting sanity with insanity. Fighting right with wrong and calling for the end of all manor of goodness. How refreshing darling………….
Killing your own family for land and justifying it by calling them "witches" is goodness to you? You are twisted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“If your religion taught…..”
This hypothetical equation is not congruent to what the Bible teaches. And my religion does not teach racial segregation.
Nothing you have said releases you from your intolerance for religion. That Sir is bigotry, and you are awkwardly trying to realign bigotry to include people of faith. However the official definition of the word,“bigot” does not align with your skewed definition.
Bigotry is an ugly word. But the practice of bigotry is even more repulsive. I can’t stop your bigotry. Only you have control over this. And you’re not reprieved by trying to push the bigotry label off on someone else.
It is not bigoted to point out racism/sexism/homophobia being present in a religion's teachings. Religion is not sacred and free from criticism. Ugly, backwards beliefs should be called out and extinguished. Your bible teaches many ugly, backwards things, and these beliefs need to be snuffed out. Just to be clear, I am not saying that christianity should be snuffed out, just the many repugnant things that it teaches - I feel the need to state this clearly so that I don't reactivate your delusions of persecution.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is more of an idea, a thought, it's not real except in micro evolution.
That is a useless distinction. Micro evolution is macro evolution.

Evolution is a fact, unless you are willing to claim that your god has fabricated evidence for evolution and planted it all over the world and in our dna.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no difference, micro/macro was made up by creationist snake oil salesmen. Things either evolve or they do not, and there is no demonstrable limit to how much things can change. So you are using a fallacy here, a lie fed to you by people more interested in draining your bank account by selling you false hope, false dreams, and fantasies. Nothing more.

You need to learn more about something before you can debunk it, you know so little about evolution that you cannot even comprehend the basics of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 132,081 - 132,100 of223,138
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••