Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#137140 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every US President from the first to President Obama believes in God.
The bible never dates the earth as 6000 years old. And the 6 days of creation are not based on mans 24hr day. The 6 days of creation are the 6 steps or stages of creation. At the time Genesis was written. There was no explanation for “Millions.” It was written so people of every age could understand.
Those six days were on Gods scale and not mans. There’re varying scales in measurement. We know the Earth and all of creation is much older than 6000 years. The New Testament even makes a reference to the time difference between man and God.
2 Peter 3:8
Amplified Bible (AMP)
{Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day}.
Note the writer is writing metaphorically in 2 PETER 3:8.
It doesn’t mean literally a thousand years as one day. The writer is speaking figuratively.
Argumentum ad populum ... or however it's spelled.

Based on your argument here, the Nazis were right, the Inquisitioners were right, etc. They had the majority in their time. You are also saying that the Earth was indeed flat at one time, since that was once the most popular belief.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#137141 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be correct Jesus never specifically mentioned homosexuality. Not to rain on your parade, much is mentioned in the New Testament about sinful perversions of which involved the sexual acts of homosexuality.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eff...
“Effeminate”
1. having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner
2 marked by an unbecoming delicacy or overrefinement
Wiki:
The word "homosexual" is not in the King James Version of the Bible. The word "effeminate" is used in the New Testament, in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 10 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." The word homosexual did not exist until the 1800s.
The concept is mentioned in the New Testament, but, as correctly stated above, not using the same word we use. Romans 1:26-27 refers to it: "for this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."
Romans 1:23-32 (KJV) 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen...
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Of the right use and purpose of the law 1 Tim 1:9-11 (KJV) 8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
Effeminate does not necessarily mean homosexual, and in any case it would only mean homosexual men in this context. What about homosexual females? And where do you get off assuming that your god "really meant" homosexuals when he condemned effeminate men? Maybe he's ok with homosexual men but he just wants them to all be gay bears.

Location hidden

#137142 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, you vented, it's ok. You comments remind me of the time when chain saws first arrived in the woods.
One was given to one of the old timers that did all his cutting by ax. The boss said,“here try this out. It will make your job a lot easier and faster.”
After a while the boss comes up road and found the ole guy chopping away with his ax. He asked,“what happen to the chain saw. The ole man said, my ax is faster.”
The boss said,“what the hell. Let me see you use that chain saw.”
The ole man picked up the heavy chain saw and began to use it like a hand saw.
The boss realized the problem,“hold on here, man you have to crank it up first.”
Prayer doesn’t work for you Atheist because well, you have to use it before it will work. You got to crank it up before anything is going to happen.
The word atheist is not plural. I can usually ignore all of your other mistakes, but that is one that you constantly make that really annoys me.

Also, stop pontificating about the power of prayer. It does not work. It has been scientifically proven to not work. Personal revelation does not count. OK?

Location hidden

#137143 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why you ask oh little one of the forrest?
That's a new stereotype. Keep 'em coming, oh big one of the sea.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#137144 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be correct Jesus never specifically mentioned homosexuality. Not to rain on your parade, much is mentioned in the New Testament about sinful perversions of which involved the sexual acts of homosexuality.
So? No to rain on your parade but do you follow the man or the book?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#137145 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why you ask oh little one of the forrest?
I don't like bigots.

Biblical or otherwise.

So what's your answer?

Are you a bigot?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#137146 Nov 12, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>The word atheist is not plural. I can usually ignore all of your other mistakes, but that is one that you constantly make that really annoys me.
Also, stop pontificating about the power of prayer. It does not work. It has been scientifically proven to not work. Personal revelation does not count. OK?
Eagle IS annoying, isn't he?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137147 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every US President from the first to President Obama believes in God.
The bible never dates the earth as 6000 years old. And the 6 days of creation are not based on mans 24hr day. The 6 days of creation are the 6 steps or stages of creation. At the time Genesis was written. There was no explanation for “Millions.” It was written so people of every age could understand.
Those six days were on Gods scale and not mans. There’re varying scales in measurement. We know the Earth and all of creation is much older than 6000 years. The New Testament even makes a reference to the time difference between man and God.
2 Peter 3:8
Amplified Bible (AMP)
{Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day}.
Note the writer is writing metaphorically in 2 PETER 3:8.
It doesn’t mean literally a thousand years as one day. The writer is speaking figuratively.
Ask any fundamentalist Christian and they'll beg to differ with you on the age of the Earth.

And exactly how to you KNOW the 6 days of creation are NOT based on man's 24 hour day?

And exactly do you KNOW what God what God's scale of time is? How do you come by this knowledge?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#137148 Nov 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, Assumptions don't count.
You have no scientific evidence to support your claim.
Nor have you been to Africa to conduct a informal survey.
You probably could if you really wanted to.
It could be a informative trip providing that you didn’t cross paths with tribal clans that want your head as decor.
That would be real bad. And you couldn’t pray your way out of that predicament.
You best not go Doctor and just stick to assumptions. It’s safer that way.
I've made my point, you don't believe that Christians pray to God when their children are dying. Sad, but I guess thats your stance!!! So much for the belief in the power of prayer!!!

Location hidden

#137149 Nov 12, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle IS annoying, isn't he?
Yeah. Even ignoring all of his nonsensical opinions, his grammar kinda gets on my nerves, and I am not at all a grammar nazi. I don't think I've read a single error free post.

Location hidden

#137150 Nov 12, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So? No to rain on your parade but do you follow the man or the book?
No, just like most christians, he follows what he wants the man and the book to mean.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#137151 Nov 12, 2012
If the whole story wasn't a complete lie, this does seem likely.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya ever think that perhaps your father "converted" just to make you feel better? Some parents do these weird things like putting their children's comfort before their own. Just a thought. Carrion.

Louisville, KY

#137152 Nov 12, 2012
That is the funniest part of the lie! Hey Jesus can't show up in a pair of Levi's and nike high tops!

:))

Still it is sweet that his Dad would pretend to convert to comfort his weak minded child. He probably also chased monsters out of Daffy's closet when he was a kid :)
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the Middle Eastern attire is a bit far fetched even within the context of the "supernatural event".
<The Deity> "HEY!... Where are you going?"
<A Deity Assistant> !?..."I'm..I uh...I'm going to convert Eagle12's atheist father at the very last moment"
<The Deity> "Oh! Yeah, yeah... I...I knew that. You can't go dressed in Levi jeans and a flannel shirt".... WAIT! Are those NIKES YOU'RE WEARING!?
<A Deity Assistant> !!!... I'm sorry, sorry, sorry, sooo sorry! It's just shoes but, but I could see how it seems like a false idol, I wasn't... PLEASE, PLEASE G_D OH PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!"
<The Deity>{pleased} "Don't worry about it, but you can't show up in modern attire, you need to wear the period appropriate Middle Eastern garb of antiquity, circa 33CE...I mean AD..AD 33-A-D."
<A Deity Assistant> "Okay, I just thought the seminar you gave last week - "Evolving the belief to reflect the times; A New Christianity" - meant clothing too."
<The Deity> "Nope"

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#137153 Nov 12, 2012
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
The hindu religion also has the Noah story. If the oldest religion on the planet is also talking about it, there might be something behind the story!
14Nov12.....

.....Do you mean Noah and da Ark!!!

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#137154 Nov 12, 2012
14Nov12.....

.....Looks like there are & were a lotta Queers within da BBC.

Ps:....Looks like not only the churches has this problem, also sports, schools, and some 'fine' institutions!!!!

....BobLoblah sure hopes dat everyOne who picked on the Roman Catholic Church also picks on these udder dispicable people within these 'reknown' institutions tooooooooo.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Louisville, KY

#137157 Nov 12, 2012
I guess you are hoping to do better on this screen name?
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly wrote:
<quoted text>It's OK. You're not very sharp.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#137158 Nov 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayer is like pumping pure high octane gasoline into a car. It’s going to give you the power to get somewhere.
Doubt and unbelief is like a car with no engine. The only place it’s going is to the wrecking yard.
By your comments we know where your headed.
If prayer works so well, why are there christian hospitals?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#137159 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
That is the funniest part of the lie! Hey Jesus can't show up in a pair of Levi's and nike high tops!
:))
Still it is sweet that his Dad would pretend to convert to comfort his weak minded child. He probably also chased monsters out of Daffy's closet when he was a kid :)
<quoted text>
I thought daffy was in the closet.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#137160 Nov 13, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
not only the churches has this problem, also sports, schools, and some 'fine' institutions!!!!
The difference is that the church presents itself as the moral authority and lectures on moral teaching. It teaches that it is founded by god and directed by the holy spirit. In reality it is a purely human institution. It is corrupt and has covered up allegations of endemic child abuse. Solid proof that religion is man made, and harmful.

Location hidden

#137161 Nov 13, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I guess you are hoping to do better on this screen name?
<quoted text>
14Nov12.....

......SomeDimes you surprise ALL da members by using 'words' dat are Not part of your vocabulary .....such as 'better'.

Ps:....Ven it comes to you, dere's more brains in a bottle of wadda.

..Dere, dat's better. Huh!!!, ya schidt-for-brains.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Morse 1,034
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr Morse 27
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr Morse 14,450
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 8 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 21 hr Gillette 5,946
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE