Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#130294 Oct 17, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Serah is misinformed. She's here so she obviously is looking for something. Be nice and teach.
Yes, be nice.

But as for teaching, we teach one another, not the Christians. They don't trust us, they don't respect evidence, and they don't trust their own minds.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#130295 Oct 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Your doubt and unbelief has no affect on my faith.

Catcher1 wrote:
Effect, not affect.

Serah wrote:
Affect 1. To have an influence on or effect a change in. 2. To act on the emotions of; touch or move.
I can see by the meaning in the dictionary that affect was quite suitable in his posting. Effect also fits the posting
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Only "effect" is proper. "Affect" is incorrect. Your provided definition is that of a verb. How could it apply? Eagle was looking for the noun, which is "effect." http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-v...
There is also a noun "affect" used in the cognitive sciences, and a verb "effect," meaning to cause to occur. But they are also incorrect in this context.
<quoted text>
It didn't help you, did it? There is more to usage than dictionaries. Command of the language comes from reading and writing it extensively.
"Affect" would be quite proper if you substituted
influence" for it.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#130297 Oct 17, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>We each believe that which we believe and that which is inherent within us. As I seek to become closer to GOD, some clearly don't even know him. Francis Collins is a brilliant scientist, and clearly believes in GOD ~ Faith is definitely in the equation; no red flag needed. Cheers, I do believe that your belief in atheism requires as much Faith as to believe in GOD ~ no red flag needed :)
So what part of atheism requires faith?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#130298 Oct 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Atheistic mind:
Self centered and self elevated. Always believes they are more intellectual than the really are. Enjoy admiring themselves. What they say is absolute truth. Why?, because they said so. What you say does not matter. Why?, because you said it.
Vain to the center core of their belief. Their overly important self rises above all who challenge them. Arrogantly smug and their overly inflated self worth. Always in the indictment mode. Pointing the finger is a mainstay. All their accusations are true. Why?, because they said so, that makes it true.
Their sense of self exceeds the limits of what is normal. Narcissism has permeated into the root system of their mind. Channeling throughout their innermost recesses of their being. Mindlessly conceited and copiously self important to the degree of absurdity.
Admiring self and ones fanciful self absorbed and imaginary talent. Their wisdom is elevated by their superior high mindedness. They have obtained greatness in their own mind. They are their number one fan. Self rule and self guidance they navigate through life by self induced pride.
The atheistic mind is all about being self centered.“There is no god,” they say. Because they see no evidence in their inward looking self diagnostic analysis of self. Self being the center of the universe according to the wisdom of self.
Other than the part where an atheist might claim their is no god, you described what I see in many if not most Christians.

You believe you are so superior, you have some special purpose outside of this world and will live for eternity.

You insist a god absolutely exists even when their is not one shred of evidence. How hubris is that?

You insist your particular god is the only real god. Again, arrogant as it gets.

You insist if we do not believe as you, we go to hell to be tortured for eternity. Damn, that is harsh.

Not sure if an atheist can even get that arrogant.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#130299 Oct 17, 2012
Olbermann on Bush Rose Garden Press Conference 09/18/06 ...

&#9658; 8:18&#9658; 8:18 www.youtube.com/watch...
Sep 18, 2006 - 8 min - Uploaded by spamcrater
(From Crooks and Liars) Countdown's Keith Olbermann's 09/18/06 special commentary on President Bush ...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#130300 Oct 17, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Only "effect" is proper. "Affect" is incorrect. Your provided definition is that of a verb. How could it apply? Eagle was looking for the noun, which is "effect." http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-v...
There is also a noun "affect" used in the cognitive sciences, and a verb "effect," meaning to cause to occur. But they are also incorrect in this context.
<quoted text>
It didn't help you, did it? There is more to usage than dictionaries. Command of the language comes from reading and writing it extensively.
I thought about providing an explanation.

But I decided it would fall upon deaf ears.

Thanks anyway.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#130301 Oct 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Eagle12 wrote:
Catcher1 wrote:
Effect, not affect.
Serah wrote:
Affect 1. To have an influence on or effect a change in. 2. To act on the emotions of; touch or move.
I can see by the meaning in the dictionary that affect was quite suitable in his posting. Effect also fits the posting
<quoted text>
influence" for it.
How stupid is that?

BWAHAHAHAHA.

A green dress would be quite nice if you wore a blue one instead.
peal

Mountain View, CA

#130302 Oct 17, 2012
let all get a long

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#130304 Oct 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Eagle12 wrote:
Catcher1 wrote:
Effect, not affect.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
influence" for it.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How stupid is that?
BWAHAHAHAHA.
A green dress would be quite nice if you wore a blue one instead.
Affect and influence are synonymous. Affect and influence are both proper.

Your stupidity has no affect or influence on me, other than annoyance.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#130305 Oct 17, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
What is not pathetic is how you agonizing athetards will burn in Hell. You continue to show reasons why.
Now KMA, you evil embracing, mentally disturbed atheist.
I am sure you revel in the thought of atheists being tortured in hell. Just as any psychopath would revel in ones pain.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#130306 Oct 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought about providing an explanation.
But I decided it would fall upon deaf ears.
.. thanks. Alot ..

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#130307 Oct 17, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =b0NlXKPaqZgXX
Oh yes!

Warren Zevon is one of my most-missed rock stars.

Thanks for that.
Nobody

Dallas, TX

#130308 Oct 17, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0jAz_eomupIXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Im sorry what does this suppose to tell me? You have songs here......ok.
What is your answer to what love is?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#130309 Oct 17, 2012
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text> Im sorry what does this suppose to tell me? You have songs here......ok.
What is your answer to what love is?
Well, it's not having your son slowly and painfully killed.

Neither is it acts of genocide.

Neither is it condemning people to eternal torture because your ego has been offended.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#130310 Oct 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Effect, not affect.
I’m embarrassed for you.

Southern Illinois

#130311 Oct 17, 2012
<quoted text>
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell
Little Grasshopper, you have much to learn.

Once there lived an ant and a grasshopper in a grassy meadow.

All day long the ant would work hard, collecting grains of wheat from the farmer's field far away. She would hurry to the field every morning, as soon as it was light enough to see by, and toil back with a heavy grain of wheat balanced on her head. She would put the grain of wheat carefully away in her larder, and then hurry back to the field for another one. All day long she would work, without stop or rest, scurrying back and forth from the field, collecting the grains of wheat and storing them carefully in her larder.

The grasshopper would look at her and laugh.'Why do you work so hard, dear ant?' he would say.'Come, rest awhile, listen to my song. Summer is here, the days are long and bright. Why waste the sunshine in labour and toil?'

The ant would ignore him, and head bent, would just hurry to the field a little faster. This would make the grasshopper laugh even louder.'What a silly little ant you are!' he would call after her.'Come, come and dance with me! Forget about work! Enjoy the summer! Live a little!' And the grasshopper would hop away across the meadow, singing and dancing merrily.

Summer faded into autumn, and autumn turned into winter. The sun was hardly seen, and the days were short and grey, the nights long and dark. It became freezing cold, and snow began to fall.

The grasshopper didn't feel like singing any more. He was cold and hungry. He had nowhere to shelter from the snow, and nothing to eat. The meadow and the farmer's field were covered in snow, and there was no food to be had.'Oh what shall I do? Where shall I go?' wailed the grasshopper. Suddenly he remembered the ant.'Ah - I shall go to the ant and ask her for food and shelter!' declared the grasshopper, perking up. So off he went to the ant's house and knocked at her door.'Hello ant!' he cried cheerfully.'Here I am, to sing for you, as I warm myself by your fire, while you get me some food from that larder of yours!'

The ant looked at the grasshopper and said,'All summer long I worked hard while you made fun of me, and sang and danced. You should have thought of winter then! Find somewhere else to sing, grasshopper! There is no warmth or food for you here!' And the ant shut the door in the grasshopper's face.

It is wise to worry about tomorrow today.

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_an...

Southern Illinois

#130312 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. You would need critical thinking for that.
:p
<quoted text>
Not an issue, seriously.
<quoted text>
It's not even slightly dark here. Lots of illumination! For example, I know how genes work.
:p
<quoted text>
Uh...Eagle...you're confusing "atheist" with "narcissist."
Perhaps you should try reading more than one book.:)
:)
:)
<quoted text>
You know, you implied that above.
<quoted text>
You subjectively experience your religion's deity as real, just like all believers in all religions experience their deities as real. No worries, it's not an issue. As long as you're happy and don't force it on others.
In fact, you've stated several times that you are here to "save" people. That implies you are here to change them. That means you don't respect their beliefs. And now here you are all worried that we're trying to change you - a tiny little bit of projection, Mr. Eagle.
It's ok. Despite your desires to make everyone like you and your inability to understand how offensive that is while simultaneously being upset that you might get treated likewise, I'll give you a hug.
<hug>
2 hugs back <hugs>
CunningLinguist

Summerfield, FL

#130313 Oct 17, 2012
The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism.

It is not a creed.

Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell.

Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love.

The search for nirvana, like the search for utopia or the end of history or the classless society, is ultimately a futile and dangerous one.

It involves, if it does not necessitate, the sleep of reason. There is no escape from anxiety and struggle

There is nothing more; but I want nothing more
Nobody

Dallas, TX

#130314 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's not having your son slowly and painfully killed.
Neither is it acts of genocide.
Neither is it condemning people to eternal torture because your ego has been offended.
Ok you don't know what love is. Your mind cannot comprehend what love is. It is tough to understand.We as humans cannot get there.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#130315 Oct 17, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
May I quote from her Bio:-
Headline:
Thank you GOD for JESUS
Hometown:
And thank you JESUS for CARING
Neighborhood:
Where the birds are safe 4eva
Local Favorites:
The Magpies are looking after me
Belong To:
GOD and all the Angels and then Queen Puggy but she also belongs to me :)
When I'm Not on Topix:
I'm off with the Fairies and following the Angels
Read This Book:
Whichever one leads you on a higher pathway
Favorite Things:
Queen Puggy, music, dancing & singing, cryptic messages from the Angels and Royal Gala Apples ~ and GOD gave us these things with HIS LOVE
On My Mind:
Knowing and understanding the Scriptures about being exalted through being humbled
I Believe In:
GOD & Lord Jesus, Queen of Heaven, the Prophets, Miracles, Angels, Spirituality and Souls, Ascending Ladders, Dream Control, Revelation of Jesus Christ, DNA and activating codes
I don't think there much hope for her.
hahaha....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Aura Mytha 18,843
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 4 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 12 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 13 hr thetruth 1,341
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web