Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#130309 Oct 17, 2012
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text> Im sorry what does this suppose to tell me? You have songs here......ok.
What is your answer to what love is?
Well, it's not having your son slowly and painfully killed.

Neither is it acts of genocide.

Neither is it condemning people to eternal torture because your ego has been offended.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#130310 Oct 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Effect, not affect.
I’m embarrassed for you.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#130311 Oct 17, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell
Little Grasshopper, you have much to learn.

Once there lived an ant and a grasshopper in a grassy meadow.

All day long the ant would work hard, collecting grains of wheat from the farmer's field far away. She would hurry to the field every morning, as soon as it was light enough to see by, and toil back with a heavy grain of wheat balanced on her head. She would put the grain of wheat carefully away in her larder, and then hurry back to the field for another one. All day long she would work, without stop or rest, scurrying back and forth from the field, collecting the grains of wheat and storing them carefully in her larder.

The grasshopper would look at her and laugh.'Why do you work so hard, dear ant?' he would say.'Come, rest awhile, listen to my song. Summer is here, the days are long and bright. Why waste the sunshine in labour and toil?'

The ant would ignore him, and head bent, would just hurry to the field a little faster. This would make the grasshopper laugh even louder.'What a silly little ant you are!' he would call after her.'Come, come and dance with me! Forget about work! Enjoy the summer! Live a little!' And the grasshopper would hop away across the meadow, singing and dancing merrily.

Summer faded into autumn, and autumn turned into winter. The sun was hardly seen, and the days were short and grey, the nights long and dark. It became freezing cold, and snow began to fall.

The grasshopper didn't feel like singing any more. He was cold and hungry. He had nowhere to shelter from the snow, and nothing to eat. The meadow and the farmer's field were covered in snow, and there was no food to be had.'Oh what shall I do? Where shall I go?' wailed the grasshopper. Suddenly he remembered the ant.'Ah - I shall go to the ant and ask her for food and shelter!' declared the grasshopper, perking up. So off he went to the ant's house and knocked at her door.'Hello ant!' he cried cheerfully.'Here I am, to sing for you, as I warm myself by your fire, while you get me some food from that larder of yours!'

The ant looked at the grasshopper and said,'All summer long I worked hard while you made fun of me, and sang and danced. You should have thought of winter then! Find somewhere else to sing, grasshopper! There is no warmth or food for you here!' And the ant shut the door in the grasshopper's face.

It is wise to worry about tomorrow today.

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_an...

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#130312 Oct 17, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. You would need critical thinking for that.
:p
<quoted text>
Not an issue, seriously.
<quoted text>
It's not even slightly dark here. Lots of illumination! For example, I know how genes work.
:p
<quoted text>
Uh...Eagle...you're confusing "atheist" with "narcissist."
Perhaps you should try reading more than one book.:)
:)
:)
<quoted text>
You know, you implied that above.
<quoted text>
You subjectively experience your religion's deity as real, just like all believers in all religions experience their deities as real. No worries, it's not an issue. As long as you're happy and don't force it on others.
In fact, you've stated several times that you are here to "save" people. That implies you are here to change them. That means you don't respect their beliefs. And now here you are all worried that we're trying to change you - a tiny little bit of projection, Mr. Eagle.
It's ok. Despite your desires to make everyone like you and your inability to understand how offensive that is while simultaneously being upset that you might get treated likewise, I'll give you a hug.
<hug>
2 hugs back <hugs>
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

#130313 Oct 17, 2012
The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism.

It is not a creed.

Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell.

Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love.

The search for nirvana, like the search for utopia or the end of history or the classless society, is ultimately a futile and dangerous one.

It involves, if it does not necessitate, the sleep of reason. There is no escape from anxiety and struggle

There is nothing more; but I want nothing more
Nobody

Irving, TX

#130314 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's not having your son slowly and painfully killed.
Neither is it acts of genocide.
Neither is it condemning people to eternal torture because your ego has been offended.
Ok you don't know what love is. Your mind cannot comprehend what love is. It is tough to understand.We as humans cannot get there.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#130315 Oct 17, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
May I quote from her Bio:-
Headline:
Thank you GOD for JESUS
Hometown:
And thank you JESUS for CARING
Neighborhood:
Where the birds are safe 4eva
Local Favorites:
The Magpies are looking after me
Belong To:
GOD and all the Angels and then Queen Puggy but she also belongs to me :)
When I'm Not on Topix:
I'm off with the Fairies and following the Angels
Read This Book:
Whichever one leads you on a higher pathway
Favorite Things:
Queen Puggy, music, dancing & singing, cryptic messages from the Angels and Royal Gala Apples ~ and GOD gave us these things with HIS LOVE
On My Mind:
Knowing and understanding the Scriptures about being exalted through being humbled
I Believe In:
GOD & Lord Jesus, Queen of Heaven, the Prophets, Miracles, Angels, Spirituality and Souls, Ascending Ladders, Dream Control, Revelation of Jesus Christ, DNA and activating codes
I don't think there much hope for her.
hahaha....

#130316 Oct 17, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Headline:
Thank you GOD for JESUS
Hometown:
Neighborhood:
Local Favorites:
Belong To:
When I'm Not on Topix:
Read This Book:
Favorite Things:
Queen Puggy, music, dancing & singing, cryptic messages from the Angels and Royal Gala Apples ~ and GOD gave us these things with HIS LOVE
On My Mind:
Knowing and understanding the Scriptures about being exalted through being humbled
I Believe In:
GOD & Lord Jesus, Queen of Heaven, the Prophets, Miracles, Angels, Spirituality and Souls, Ascending Ladders, Dream Control, Revelation of Jesus Christ, DNA and activating codes
By the way, I need to update my Bio - Queen Puggy died in my arms in June last year; she was 13 years old and I knew she didn't have too long to go but my biggest fear was that she would die alone (work drags me away from the home) and of course, I Prayed. Puggy died in my arms at 5am June 30th, peacefully and cuddled up in bed with me. I need to include Prince Pugstar, the little black Pug that is now a part of my family. Thanks for sharing my Bio, I had forgotten about that :)

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#130317 Oct 17, 2012
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text> Ok you don't know what love is. Your mind cannot comprehend what love is. It is tough to understand.We as humans cannot get there.
You are so right.

How can having your son killed, acts of genocide and torturing people be anything but transcendent and undying love?

Silly me.

#130318 Oct 17, 2012
Thanks Richardfs; have updated my Bio accordingly :)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#130319 Oct 17, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Headline:
Thank you GOD for JESUS
Hometown:
Neighborhood:
Local Favorites:
Belong To:
When I'm Not on Topix:
Read This Book:
Favorite Things:
On My Mind:
I Believe In:
She is a nutter!

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#130320 Oct 17, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see the difference. Have you seen the number of genocides your god ordered in your bible? How is that different?
Your god makes Mao and Stalin look like angels:
"Show No Mercy!" Deut 7:2
"Make no peace!" Deut 7:2
"March to War!" Numbers 32:20
"Ethnic cleanse!" Deut. 20:15
"Commit genocide!" Joshua 10:20
"Enslave!" Lev. 25:44
"Beat to death!" Ex. 21:20
"Kill women and chilldren!" Numbers 31:17, 1 Samuel 15:3
"Kill all prisoners!" Deut 7:2
"Destroy!" Deut. 7:16
"Annihilate!" Deut. 17:29
"Slaughter!" Deut. 13:15, Joshua 8:24
"Burn!" Deut. 13:15
"Torture!" Lev. 24:23, Numbers 5:11
"Massacre!" Numbers 21:2
"Exterminate!" Deut 2:34, Deut 3:3
"Crush!" Deut. 33:29
"Kill!" Joshua 9:24
"Destroy!" Deut 31:4
"Smite!" Esther 9:5
"Slash!" Judges 15:8
"Burn!" joshua 6:24
"Kill!" Joshua 10:10
"Kill!" Judges 11:33
"Kill!" Deut 9:3
"Loot!" Deut. 20:10
"Plunder!" Numbers 31:9, Deut 2:35
"Rape!" Numbers 31:18, Deut. 21:10, Judges 21:11
"Pillage!" 1 Samuel 23:5
"Kill!" Deut 9:3
"Kill!" Deut 20:15
"Kill!" Judges 21:11
Here are ten more examples:
[1] God drowns the whole earth. In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.
[2] God incinerates 51 men to make a point. In 2 Kings 1:9-10, Elijah gets God to burn 51 men with fire from heaven to prove he is God.
[3] God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn. In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.
[4] God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them. In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.
[5] God helps Samson kill 30 men because he lost a bet. In Judges 14:11-19, Samson loses a bet for 30 sets of clothes. The spirit of God comes upon him and he kills 30 men to steal their clothes and pay off the debt.
[6] A tribe slaughtered and their virgins raped for not showing up at roll call. In Judges 21:1-23, a tribe of Israelites misses roll call, so the other Israelites kill them all except for the virgins, which they take for themselves. Still not happy, they hide in vineyards and pounce on dancing women from Shiloh to take them for themselves.
[7] 3,000 crushed to death. In Judges 16:27-30, God gives Samson strength to bring down a building to crush 3,000 members of a rival tribe.
[8] The Amorites destroyed by sword and by God’s rocks. In Joshua 10:10-11, God helps the Israelites slaughter the Amorites by sword, then finishes them off with rocks from the sky.
[9] God burns two cities to death. In Genesis 19:24, God kills everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah with fire from the sky. Then God kills Lot’s wife for looking back at her burning home.
[10] God has 42 children mauled by bears. In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them.(Newer cosmetic translations say the bears “maul” the children, but the original Hebrew, baqa, means “to tear apart.”)
The earth will be a better place when secular humanist values replace those of all of these cults of personality, whether the personality is Jehovah, Hitler, Mao, Allah or Stalin.
Case in point, you don’t want to be on the wrong side of God when going to battle.

God is also merciful to those who ask for mercy.

There in Jericho was a woman who understood Gods mighty power. She asked for mercy and received mercy for giving a safe house to 10 CIA agents of Israel. Her name was Rahab.

Joshua 6:25

25 So Joshua saved Rahab the harlot, with her father’s household and all that she had; and she lives in Israel even to this day, because she hid the messengers whom Joshua sent to spy out Jericho.

#130321 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right.
How can having your son killed, acts of genocide and torturing people be anything but transcendent and undying love?
Silly me.
Seven-Generation Military Family
Recent West Point grad makes seven generations of military service for family.......

Seven-Generation Military Family | Video - ABC News

abcnews.go.com/GMA/video... Aug 2011

How many families send their children off to war proudly? How can anyone have their son killed? Actually you can add women to that now as they have proudly followed footsteps of their ancestors or just want to join of their own accord!

It took me awhile to understand that this is the same as bringing up your children to be suicide bombers to a degree, except that they have a chance of coming home......

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#130322 Oct 17, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure you revel in the thought of atheists being tortured in hell. Just as any psychopath would revel in ones pain.
Not in the least. Don't plan on going there.
Nobody

Irving, TX

#130323 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right.
Silly me.
Proving point. Look at the world.
Try and go one day,just 1 day without 1 ill word or thought.
You can't do it. sorry.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#130324 Oct 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
Eagle12 wrote:
Your doubt and unbelief has no affect on my faith.
Catcher1 wrote:
Effect, not affect.
Serah wrote:
Affect 1. To have an influence on or effect a change in. 2. To act on the emotions of; touch or move.
I can see by the meaning in the dictionary that affect was quite suitable in his posting. Effect also fits the posting
<quoted text>
"Affect" would be quite proper if you substituted
influence" for it.
Dave, you are wrong.
Give it up and avoid further embarrassment.
Stick to magnets.(Get it?)
<quoted text>
Affect and influence are synonymous. Affect and influence are both proper.
Your stupidity has no affect or influence on me, other than annoyance.
Dave, you are wrong wrong wrong.

Give it up. Avoid further embarrassment.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#130325 Oct 17, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't have a belief, why are you on here arguing about it?
Serah said, Know what the name of the forum is Dave Nelson? It also has a question mark after the title, sort of insinuating that this is a forum for debate!!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#130326 Oct 17, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Know what the name of the forum is Black Sheep? It also has a question mark after the title, sort of insinuating that this is a forum for debate!!
serah, dave nelson said, If you don't have a belief, why are you on here arguing about it?

I hope you god fearing idiots get yourselves straight!

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#130327 Oct 17, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m embarrassed for you.
That has no effect on me.

Which means it doesn't affect me.

Please, please, please try to learn something.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#130328 Oct 17, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, you are wrong wrong wrong.
Give it up. Avoid further embarrassment.
Your pride has gotten in the way of humility. We all know you’re not perfect. It’s ok, we all make mistakes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 11 min Richardfs 5,700
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 30 min Into The Night 48,654
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 2 hr JustASkeptic 40
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr scientia potentia... 23,511
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 hr Thinking 21,875
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 13 hr Mikko 1
What are the best arguments against religion? 13 hr bluehill 1
More from around the web