Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#130162 Oct 16, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Because idiots on here with no belief
Because people do not have blind faith. Really?!?! Blind faith is superior to knowledge and proof?? since when?

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#130163 Oct 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no interest in magnetism.
Or gods.
Or in arguing with you.
You once again are lying. You are obsessed with God or else you would be enjoying your so-called liberation from religion, but nope, you're right here ARGUING with Christians out of staggering fear that you are wrong.

You failed, again.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#130164 Oct 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I am currently very close to Venice.
:(>

meany

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#130165 Oct 16, 2012
I am Keanu Dracula! VvvV :)

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#130167 Oct 16, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
I am Keanu Dracula! VvvV :)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#130168 Oct 16, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
“It must be quite galling for religious people to see atheists like me going about their business without a shred of guilt or self-loathing, and not in the least inclined to pray or to do penance of any kind, and not in the slightest bit worried about any form of eternal punishment. I have to admit if I was religious I'd probably think to myself: "How come I've got all this weight on my shoulders while these bums are getting a free ride?" – Condell
No guilt eh. Yes even atheists when they do something very wrong yes you do feel guilt and you work at fixing the problem just like Christians. We live our life like Jesus and this helps keep your mind on doing the right thing.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#130169 Oct 16, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> We live our life like Jesus and this helps keep your mind on doing the right thing.
So you're going to be tacked to a tree when you're 33? Cool. Put it up on Youtube. I wanna watch.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#130170 Oct 16, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> No guilt eh. Yes even atheists when they do something very wrong yes you do feel guilt and you work at fixing the problem just like Christians. We live our life like Jesus and this helps keep your mind on doing the right thing.
What is "very wrong"? Atheists and Christians may disagree here.

How do Christians fix problems, when they try? Atheists do not pray, for one thing.

Secular ethics and morality are not the same as religious equivalents. If you are looking for human universals, that's a good discussion to have. What is true of all of us? This is a harder question than finding the subjective truths, and differentiating between them.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#130171 Oct 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're going to be tacked to a tree when you're 33? Cool. Put it up on Youtube. I wanna watch.
Nothing like brotherly love.

Location hidden

#130172 Oct 16, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing like brotherly love.
If you say so.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#130173 Oct 16, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing like brotherly love.
If that's what you're looking for from me, you've strayed far from your path.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#130174 Oct 16, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists do not pray, for one thing.
They've substituted prayer with actions of hatred. We have school and public shootings to prove that.

Atheists are universal terrorists. One took action by shooting up people who were simply wanting to watch a movie in a theater.

He was an atheist performing the deeds he was encouraged and coached to do most likely by atheist students and professors in his college.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was an atheist poster right here.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#130175 Oct 16, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
See how cruel and violent this athetrash is?

Location hidden

#130176 Oct 16, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
They've substituted prayer with actions of hatred. We have school and public shootings to prove that.
Atheists are universal terrorists. One took action by shooting up people who were simply wanting to watch a movie in a theater.
He was an atheist performing the deeds he was encouraged and coached to do most likely by atheist students and professors in his college.
Hi JR.

If this is your way of asking me to go to the movies with you, the answer is no.

“Wrath”

Is revenant

#130177 Oct 16, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dipshit he was Catholic.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#130178 Oct 16, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
How was the atheist response violent? You were merely asked if you were truly going to follow in Jesus' footsteps. The poster did not threaten you with nailing you up to the cross personally.

By the way, there are some extremists that do go to that extent voluntarily.

And when it comes to violence that is usually the "Christian" side. I have never threatened any theist, but I have been threatened and I have seen theist joke about attacking atheists.
Atheist Silurist

Gloucester, UK

#130179 Oct 16, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Hey dipshit he was Catholic.
That would explain it.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#130180 Oct 16, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I hurt your wittle feewings?

Did you think only christians could be cruel and violent?
Serah

Wynn Vale, Australia

#130181 Oct 16, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have "belief in atheism."
And I don't require any faith.
I just don't believe in the supernatural. I don't believe in hexes, ghosts, astrology, witches, gods, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, none of that sort of stuff.
This shouldn't be difficult for you to understand. You probably don't believe in most of the supernatural stuff I mentioned, and as for gods, you don't believe in any of the over 10,000 gods that have been suggested in different places by different cultures over the years, except for one of those gods. So in effect you are an "atheist" about all gods except one of them.
I'm an atheist about that one too. So really, we aren't that far apart. We agree that 9,999 of the alleged gods don't exist, we only disagree as to one of them. Just one out of 10,000.
I wasn't even writing to you..... is that hard for you to understand?
Serah

Wynn Vale, Australia

#130182 Oct 16, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think everybody has to have a belief?
Just because you are brainwashed doesn't mean the rest of us are.
You just don't get it ~ it is events in our lives that enhance our beliefs..... I guess you just don't have the events at all! I can only feel sorry for you as you are missing out on much :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min One way or another 40,232
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 15,747
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr IB DaMann 23
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Abe 20,578
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 8 hr IB DaMann 180
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 15 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,624
Good arguments against Christianity Fri superwilly 90
More from around the web