Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#130015 Oct 15, 2012
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's this guys excuse?
You are the expert in excuses. You're an athetard.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#130016 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
From my point of view, you never matured. Theism is immature in my life and I grew out of it as I matured.
I was an atheist long before you were even born.

You are still raging against the machine. Your emotions blind you to seeing it in its totality. So you have grabbed onto something to create your own view. You just found another religion in furtherance of your passion. Such is evinced by your black and white views expectorated about religion, particularly that immature one about it stifling science. You totally ignore the fact that many deistic and theistic scientists look upon science, and the scientific method, as a way to see how higher forms assembled this existence. A back engineering to find God. Outside of organized religion. No, you have to paint them ALL evil.

YOUR science is stifled by your emotion.

You are too damned young to be as wise as you like to think.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130017 Oct 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Believe it is what actual Science requires. <quoted text> Actual Science demands are ridiculous? Never mind that. I have repeatedly stated evidence for physical resurrection is in historical accounts and church history. The claim has been the same for close to 2000 years. Christ resurrected.
<quoted text> As it relates to resurrection of Christ. Methinks you are projecting your ignorance of historic Christianity on me. Persons who deny the resurrection of Christ are simply not Christian. That is basic historical Christianity. Your statement is akin to equating a counterfeit 20 dollar bill to an actual 20 dollar bill. Both of equal value and if not then it is a ''horribly ignorant way to think.''
<quoted text> This little gem is in response to my statement, they (atheists) will go to absurd extremes to explain it all absent intelligence. It all happened naturally...'' Your statement is more of an assertion than an argument. Another example of the way atheists validation has to do with (ECREE) Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidence. This is more rhetorical than a rule of logic. It allows atheist to raise the bar for Christian claims while lowering the bar for themselves.
http://religiousapriori.blogspot.com/2010/01/...
Talking to you is so frustrating. It doesn't matter how many times you claim you have "proven" the resurrection, you aren't going to make it true by being stubbornly persistent.

Let me sum up as clearly and as briefly as possible the problem I, and I suspect everyone else, has with you.

You constantly claim that accepting a scientific explanation for the universe and for life requires faith, and somehow repeatedly fail to see the problem with criticizing faith as a valid means of believing in something. Your belief system hinges on faith - there is no good evidence outside of the bible for many of the claims made by christians, and regardless - science does not demand faith, so your entire argument is pointless. Science demands evidence and rigor, claims must be supported by evidence before they are seriously considered, which is the exact opposite of how religion works. Religion demands faith in things that are otherwise unbelievable - to deny this is to deny a central teaching of your own religion. Science makes claims that may seem outrageous to the ignorant, but no one is asking you to accept scientific claims on faith alone - these claims are backed by evidence and they are constantly scrutinized to ensure that the evidence supports them.

I am really tired of seeing you waste everyone's time. You ask for people to provide evidence for scientific claims, and then promptly ignore their responses and act as if people are ignoring your requests because you are right. You also make absurd claims about the literal truth of the bible, proceed to back them up by repeating the same faulty reasoning and "evidence" you find on apologist websites, and then when people call you out and explain why you are wrong, you ignore them. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam. It's really getting tiresome.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#130018 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was an atheist long before you were even born.
You are still raging against the machine. Your emotions blind you to seeing it in its totality. So you have grabbed onto something to create your own view. You just found another religion in furtherance of your passion. Such is evinced by your black and white views expectorated about religion, particularly that immature one about it stifling science. You totally ignore the fact that many deistic and theistic scientists look upon science, and the scientific method, as a way to see how higher forms assembled this existence. A back engineering to find God. Outside of organized religion. No, you have to paint them ALL evil.
YOUR science is stifled by your emotion.
You are too damned young to be as wise as you like to think.
This is "Dave Nelson" long winded way of saying:-
"I gone got stupider the older I got"

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#130019 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was an atheist long before you were even born.
You are still raging against the machine. Your emotions blind you to seeing it in its totality. So you have grabbed onto something to create your own view. You just found another religion in furtherance of your passion. Such is evinced by your black and white views expectorated about religion, particularly that immature one about it stifling science. You totally ignore the fact that many deistic and theistic scientists look upon science, and the scientific method, as a way to see how higher forms assembled this existence. A back engineering to find God. Outside of organized religion. No, you have to paint them ALL evil.
YOUR science is stifled by your emotion.
You are too damned young to be as wise as you like to think.
So you devolved?

Sorry to hear that.

What happened? Was it the oncoming prospect of death? Or the bang on the head? Possibly you lost a bit of control over the logic parts of your brain.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#130020 Oct 15, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
This is "Dave Nelson" long winded way of saying:-
"I gone got stupider the older I got"
It's not his fault. He damaged his brain.

And in the doing, he released that part of his soul that has to deal with logic.

Oops! A bit of theistic nonsense sneaking into my posts!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130021 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ya, right. Of course I edited for space, but that's about the jist of it.
Strange that one fish (or a species) would somehow grow legs because "life is better on land" while at the same time learn how to breathe air instead of water.
Meanwhile, other fishies thought it was better to stay in the water...
You have a very peculiar understanding of evolution.

Do you really think that the fish looked up at the beach and thought "hey, that looks nice, I'm gonna grow some legs and some lungs and go on up there!"

You are projecting the assumption of intelligence onto a non intelligent process.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#130022 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not his fault. He damaged his brain.
And in the doing, he released that part of his soul that has to deal with logic.
Oops! A bit of theistic nonsense sneaking into my posts!
Must be the concrete block he dropped on his head?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#130023 Oct 15, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
This is "Dave Nelson" long winded way of saying:-
"I gone got stupider the older I got"
Funny, I saw Dave's Nelson's strange message in a different way.

I thought he meant it as a sort of puzzle, or word game.

It was our job to reassemble the words in a way that they made sense.

I tried and tried, without success.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#130024 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not his fault. He damaged his brain.
And in the doing, he released that part of his soul that has to deal with logic.
Oops! A bit of theistic nonsense sneaking into my posts!
Self trepanning made his brains leak out.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130025 Oct 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, itís non of my business what sexual preference he has chosen.
I would rather not know.
Young people who are having emotional problems with their sexuality need to seek professional help.
Here is a 24 hour a day Emergency Hotline for Suicide Prevention.
I hope that you will join with me to encourage people who are troubled not to take their own life.
1-800-273-TALK (8255)
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
You did say that, and then you proceeded to say that you would prefer that they hid themselves from the world and lived in secret. Gay people should not have to hide away because it offends people like you.

And I don't really understand the point of the last part of your post. Of course people that are considering suicide should seek help, the point is, a big reason why a gay person might consider suicide is because they feel marginalized and guilty, that they must keep hidden an important component of their personality. They feel this way because of attitudes like yours. I suppose that you are better than a lot of christians when it comes to gay people, but that isn't saying much. It's like saying "well, yeah, it's none of my business if some people are black, but I would rather they not tell me that they are black - it would be nice if they just painted themselves white while in public."

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130026 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
hehe, that was TWO lines, bub. Not one. Can you basically understand 1+1?
<quoted text>
How many?
<quoted text>
Selection pressures? lol If that were true, why are there still fish in swamps? In low-flow rivers? Why to trout still swim upstream in sometimes very shallow water to lay eggs when they should've "evolved" a better way by now....
You keep displaying your ignorance. While we're at it, why are there still monkeys? Am I right redneck? Boom! Evolution disproven!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#130027 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So you devolved?
Sorry to hear that.
What happened? Was it the oncoming prospect of death? Or the bang on the head? Possibly you lost a bit of control over the logic parts of your brain.
Hahahaha.

Collectively, a baby grand landed on Dave's head. And damaged the main frame.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130028 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I'd like to know how much time they think it took for a little or big old fishy to grow eyelashes, eyebrows & ears. Did they do this under water? Did their lungs develop under water - requiring them to breathe air and not suck water through their gills or did they clumsily thrash around on land until they grew legs and arms? Were they hairy eyelashing eyebrowing fishies waiting patiently for their legs to grow so they could walk? How long do they think it took for this hairy fish to walk? What did they eat in the meantime? Have they thought about anything logical??
Wow. You may have just stumbled upon a scientific paradigm shift.

Well, explain it, you dirty satanists, where are the eyebrow fish? Where are they?!?!

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#130029 Oct 15, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I saw Dave's Nelson's strange message in a different way.
I thought he meant it as a sort of puzzle, or word game.
It was our job to reassemble the words in a way that they made sense.
I tried and tried, without success.
It helps if you are out in the middle of the desert, away from interfering EM waves. Those confuse the brain.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#130030 Oct 15, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You keep displaying your ignorance. While we're at it, why are there still monkeys? Am I right redneck? Boom! Evolution disproven!
Why...why are there still bacteria?!?

Why are there still organic molecules in space???

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#130031 Oct 15, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha.
Collectively, a baby grand landed on Dave's head. And damaged the main frame.
I kind of feel bad, making fun of the insane. It's just that he's such a disagreeable creature that I don't feel bad.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#130032 Oct 15, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Give Dave a break.
His brain was fried by electromagnetic forces.
Uh oh.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#130033 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Since most scientists are not atheists, then you must say that you are full of it.
FACTS: A survey conducted in 1969 showed that 35% of scientists did not believe that God existed.2 In contrast, recent surveys on religious belief have shown that 90 percent of Americans believe in God and 40 percent attend a place of worship weekly. 100 MINUS 35 = 65% WHO BELIEVE.
IN FACT, IN ANY GIVEN FIELD, THE HIGHEST PERCENT WAS 41 AND THE LOWEST 27% WHO DID NOT BELIEVE IN GOD. FLIPS THE NUMBERS AND YOU WILL SEE HWO MANY BELIEVE.
Overall, 75% of professors contacted completed the survey. Among the different disciplines, disbelief in the existence of God was not correlated with any particular area of expertise:
Disbelief in God by Academics4Discipline %
Physics 40.8
Chemistry 26.6
Biology 41.0
Overall 37.6
Sociology 34.0
Economics 31.7
Political Science 27.0
Psychology 33.0
Overall 31.2
You know that 1969 was a long time ago, right?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#130034 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If neither of you can make the connection geologically and anthropologically, and timewise, then there is no sense bringing it to your attention. Read some science books.
Well, gee, Dave, I was reading "Evolution of an Andean Margin".

Did you have another science book in mind?

Let me guess: Genesis, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Thinking 20
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 22,140
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 6 hr Patrick 189
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 9 hr Jaimie 71
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 hr Patrick 42
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 18 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••