Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129975 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text> You have not proven that the story is true or that you even ahve a mother.
Just because your mother flew away after dropping her eggs in the mouth of the bloated, decaying Opossum on the side of the road doesn't mean every ones did.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129976 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say humans did not hunt for sport? Nope. So I am not sure who you are debating, but it is not a debate of what I said. And I did not dispute animals hunting for needs. But does that automatically mean they get no pleasure from it? You have not addressed point I actually made.
Evolution is not all based upon survival of the fittest in the sense some feel it is. Most all evolutionary scientists have backed away from the survival of the fittest concept.
Mike, you're treating the troll as if it's a legitimate poster. Have you met Sir Doctor before?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129977 Oct 15, 2012
"why are creationists so ignorant?"
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
God did it.
baahahahahahah!

You summed that up in one go!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#129978 Oct 15, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Darwin set sail from Plymouth. Kevin Bacon was offered the lead role in a movie called "Christine" about a demonic 1958 Plymouth Fury.
I like this game.
:-)
The character in X-Men First Class, Darwin, was killed by Kevin Bacon's character.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129979 Oct 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Atheism is a negative which cannot be proven and an appeal to ignorance.
Quite the opposite. I don't think you understand what "appeal to ignorance" means.

When you claim that "you cannot know X, therefore God exists" that is an appeal to ignorance. You do it all the time - you fail to understand how species change, so you claim it's god (your ignorance here). You fail to understand how the universe came about, so you claim it's your religion's god - your ignorance again, substituted by pretend knowledge.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129980 Oct 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had to live with, "We Trust In No Gods" on your money, you'd understand why "In God We Trust" is objectionable to those of us deliberately and indifferently excluded by the sentiment.
If you had to live with, "In Smurfs We Trust" on the currency, you'd understand the embarrassment to those of us who have outgrown such things as Smurfs and gods.
We know that Christians are aware of this, but don't care. You don't either, and you seem more caring than most Christians. How shall we take that? How about when a Christian is offended by what he considers blasphemy or disrespect for his beliefs? Should I care?
Well said!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129981 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Except get on here and rail against religion.
I see you changed your tagline after I brought up it doing such a few days ago.
I hadn't noticed that you said anything about my tagline. But now that you have, and arrogantly think my changing it had anything to do with you, I'll change it back.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129982 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is outside of nature, then science can neither prove nor disprove his existence. Atheism itself must therefore be considered a form of blind faith, in that it adopts a belief system that cannot be defended on the basis of pure reason.(Collins, 2006, p.165)
Interesting.....
Totally silly. Let's just rewrite:

"If Odin is outside of nature, then science can neither prove nor disprove his existence.

If Vishnu is outside of nature, then science can neither prove nor disprove his existence."

Collins, in his religion, is making the same logical error you guys always make - ethnocentric, inability to understand the nature of human enculturation, arguments based on belief rather than evidence.

Prove Vishnu doesn't exist as a deity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129983 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>You left this on the table.
Oh! My keys. How thoughtful of you.

Don't forget your wallet.

Oh, I won't.

Thanks, the sex was great.

Uhm...I thought it was only so-so.

Why? What was wrong?

It was no different than masturbating.

But I used my left hand!

Yeah...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129984 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No, he doesn't, he says we are far too miraculous in our makeup to be the result of a fluke.... he does believe we have evolved into what we are today, and of course, we have adapted as such.
Collins believes that God Created the universe to produce humans. He believes that God uses the tool of evolution to produce us - that everything is determined, so that we got here. God, Collins believes, is omniscient so that this is possible.

It's a silly, teenager kind of logic that is easily trashed.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129985 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are there fish today living in shallow waters? It obviously works for them.
Speciation doesn't work like you pretend it does. Species evolve to take advantage of available resources. An overly simplistic way to say this is that species evolve to take advantage of available niches.

When lobe-finned fish moved into shallow water, there were no land vertebrates. That niche was open for them. Some populations in those species did their best to catch food close to the shore, sometimes on the shore. This caused selection pressure for some populations and not others to evolve adaptations for getting better at eating food near the shoreline.

But that doesn't mean that the intertidal niche disappeared. Where do you get that nonsensical idea from?

Like the other stupid idea that creationists always talk about "why are there monkeys?!?" Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, because there are still monkey niches available. It's not like those went anywhere.

When amphibians evolved, the intertidal zone didn't vanish. Why on earth would you think it would?

It's like evolution is some kind of powerful tornado for you, pulling everything along - "well, water didn't work, let's try land!" Oh, there's no more fish because we all moved up here!

Please. Your scenarios are so amazingly uninformed and thoughtless, it's hard for me not to laugh my head off reading them.

I still think you're ok, though, RR :p
:p
:-p

/hug

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129986 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my. Again & again.
Athitards say "you are so ignorant of it" countless times.
Why?
Because your lack of education in the sciences leads you to ask nonsensical questions and produce crazy straw men scenarios that have nothing whatsoever to do with science.

From our point of view, it's like you're arguing that Jesus was a woman.
Because whomever doesn't believe in what they believe in MUST be ignorant...
"ignorance" means "lacking knowledge"

When you create ridiculous ideas and tell us that's what we believe, you are demonstrating ignorance. If you used well-informed scenarios and actually produced good argument, you wouldn't get called ignorant.

So, study your biology and try again.
I say you are ignorant because you can't open your tiny mind enough to even consider the possibility that God is real.
It's quite sad.
No, Buddha! No, Vishnu! Oh, no, which one do we chose?!?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#129987 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do mud fish fry in the sun? No one is claiming these fish sat on the edge of land long enough to fry.
Scales can change also.
They did not 'learn' to breath, the evolved to breath. Again you are showing cartoon thinking.
Show me a scientist who claims a fish learned to breath? You cannot. So why make the claim that is what I claim?
Do you have an estimate on how many trillion^unknown power fish it took before one could handle the direct heat of the sun, and pick up all of those nifty things enabling it to walk on land? You are talking a whole LOT of morphing there.

Have you been watching evolution cartoons?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129988 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean Richard Dawkins?
No, I mean RiversideRedneck. Why do you ask?

Location hidden

#129989 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't noticed that you said anything about my tagline. But now that you have, and arrogantly think my changing it had anything to do with you, I'll change it back.
Well, I am helping to make an honest woman of you. Maybe.

Location hidden

#129990 Oct 15, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you had a point, Dave.
And it was?
If neither of you can make the connection geologically and anthropologically, and timewise, then there is no sense bringing it to your attention. Read some science books.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129991 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am helping to make an honest woman of you. Maybe.
I was honest before I met you and will be honest long after I learn not to post on these threads.

Or are you saying that my tagline is honest now? It currently reads "Christianity is stupid! Give up, give up!"

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#129992 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have an estimate on how many trillion^unknown power fish it took before one could handle the direct heat of the sun, and pick up all of those nifty things enabling it to walk on land? You are talking a whole LOT of morphing there.
Can you provide even a morsel of evidence for that made up creationist bullsh*t you're selling?

You're been caught openly lying about science in this forum, you're a joke you ridiculous Discovery institute troll shill.

Do us all a favour and get the f*ck out of this forum and come back with some proof of that mindless drivel that comes out of every post you make, you stupid liar.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129993 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, look at mudfish and watch the cartoon. It happens. So how can you dispute it happens. Fish do come on land. It is an absolute fact. Mudfish prove it happens.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#129994 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If neither of you can make the connection geologically and anthropologically, and timewise, then there is no sense bringing it to your attention. Read some science books.
Do you mean real science?

Or Thornhill-type electric universe stuff?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min Eman 22,124
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Patrick 19
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 189
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 4 hr Jaimie 71
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 7 hr Patrick 42
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 12 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••